Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Data Graham posted:

Uh. That sounds like an okay story all things considered

My guess is that it's not funny at all

Yeah, sounds like an episode that tried to go heavy on the emotions instead of the laughs. But while reading the synopsis, all it do was think of classic and better episodes that focused on Santa's Little Helper and went for emotional depth - "Bart's Dog Gets an F," "Dog of Death," and also the goddamn series premiere.

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

https://twitter.com/edipyuksel/status/1460663684020072449

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I hope it's a long, deep blade to the abdomen

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Also, does anyone know where these two scenes might be from?

considering buying one of them but can't place which episode's they from for verifying the authenticity

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

This, this is an arm

Drawn by nobody

It is worth nothing

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I honestly like Al Jean a lot. The task of keeping the same cartoon funny for 30 years is....sisyphean in its impossibility

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

FunkyAl posted:

I honestly like Al Jean a lot. The task of keeping the same cartoon funny for 30 years is....sisyphean in its impossibility

FunkyAl.... Jean?

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house....I'm not made of stone

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Should we just say it moved you... TO A BIGGER HOUSE!?

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

edogawa rando posted:

Should we just say it moved you... TO A BIGGER HOUSE!?

Let's wrap this up. I got a date with Eudora Welty.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Here's a gag from the late teens seasons that actually is pretty good, relatively speaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUg-_JsXky8

It has a similar structure to the streetsweeper vs. bicycle gag that SuperEyepatchWolf analysed in that video we're all thinking of right now

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

edogawa rando posted:

Here's a gag from the late teens seasons that actually is pretty good, relatively speaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUg-_JsXky8

It has a similar structure to the streetsweeper vs. bicycle gag that SuperEyepatchWolf analysed in that video we're all thinking of right now

Some of the comments point out, it's the pacing that makes it. It doesn't linger on the joke (at least in the clip we see) going 'Get it? Get it? Do you get it?' in the way we expect from Zombie Simpsons.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
OK Part 2

Wiggum is so shaken up by the slaughter that he quits in front of Marge. She just starts digging into his case files right there in the office.

Ned flashes back to where the money came from. His sheriff grandfather who he idolized as an honest lawman turns out to be in the pocket of the local mobsters (the Syzlak brothers). They have a big shootout with their drug suppliers from Capitol City that results in the Sheriff hiding the money and then immediately getting stabbed to death by the bad guy from last week.

Homer's still kidnapped by a patented Fargo crime couple, who get into a fist fight making dinner leading to a house fire. Marge, having figured out where he was held, rescues him.

Ned sneaks into the orphanage to steal back the money and pay Homer's ransom, but he gets caught by Barb. He seduces her to get the safe key off her and steals the money. Driving away he sees Homer and Marge going the other way and crashes his car. Homer pulls Ned and the money out of the car fire out of greed but everyone thinks he's a hero. Flanders is ostracized as a thief.

Flash forward 3 years, Homer has parlayed his hero status as the guy who saved the orphanage's money into a car repair business. The Simpsons are doing great (kids aged up), but Marge is still pissed at his selfishness. Homer sneaks out to the woods where the Flanders are hiding out. He's been bringing them supplies. But he's tracked by the bad guy who's still gunning for Ned for some reason even though Homer gave away his money this time. He chases him out to a frozen lake and reveals Ned's granddad was a crook and falls through the ice.

Once again, just like last week because this was basically a Fargo parody it was :siren: an OK episode of The Simpsons :siren:

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

AHH F/UGH posted:

considering buying one of them but can't place which episode's they from for verifying the authenticity

I know I've seen these, the first I think might be Kamp Krusty? I think the line while it happens is "you little scamp".

Second is Bart scooching up to the TV for what I think is something itchy and scratchy related, maybe the movie news or the episode where the killing is reversed when the college nerds come to stay.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Actually decided to look up what I thought was a new girlfriend character for Santa's Little Helper and turns out, She-Biscuit is actually his mother. Which I guess objectively is better. Here's an episode synopsis from Wikipedia in case anyone is interested.

Christ, it's like Two Dozen and One Greyhounds goes into Fear of Flying mixed with Mother Simpson. Digging from S6 and S7. Meh, not the worst they could do.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

AHH F/UGH posted:

The second one shows Bart wearing long pants when we all know that Bart is almost always wearing shorts.

I hope the animator was fired for that blunder.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

screaden posted:

Second is Bart scooching up to the TV for what I think is something itchy and scratchy related, maybe the movie news or the episode where the killing is reversed when the college nerds come to stay.

Maybe Homer Goes to College when they're gonna watch the one where Scratchy kills Itchy and the nerd unplugs the TV to plug in his rock tumbler.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Shouldn't the cel have the episode production number at the bottom?

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
Youre gonna get a punch in the nose if you make the cel guy wait any longer.

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

The second one shows Bart wearing long pants when we all know that Bart is almost always wearing shorts.

I hope the animator was fired for that blunder.

Maybe somebody ate them?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

screaden posted:

I know I've seen these, the first I think might be Kamp Krusty? I think the line while it happens is "you little scamp".

I wonder if the Simpsons is unique in how a large part of the fanbase has no problem identifying obscure frames of animation from the first eight seasons, but when someone posts episode recaps from s26 the same person has no clue if the episode really exists.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I bet there's something similar with Trekkies and the new series.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
In the new one, Homer has a chance meeting with a billionaire fashion designer and sets up Smithers with him. It's pretty dull for like 2/3rds of it. Not a lot happens, not a lot of jokes. Then the guy moves his fast fashion sweatshop to Springfield and it's an environmental disaster. Some decent jokes about how it's ruining Springfield (the workers are all coughing up glitter and tye dye and there's a 24/7 denim fire). Smithers decides he's OK with it because he has a type (evil billionaires), but then the guy kicks a puppy and they break up. Smithers adopts the puppy and is much more successful on the dating app because he has a cute dog in his photo.

Other stuff of note: Disco Stu is on the dating app as "hetero-flexible". Mr. Burns refuses to acknowledge that Smithers is gay at all so when Smithers goes to him for relationship advice, he recommends Smithers pretend to be gay so he can marry a billionaire.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

AHH F/UGH posted:

adjacent frame to this maybe? From the Otto Show where Bart confesses he's gave up on his guitar and Homer reassures him "if something's hard to do, it's not worth doing"

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

PostNouveau posted:

In the new one, Homer has a chance meeting with a billionaire fashion designer and sets up Smithers with him. It's pretty dull for like 2/3rds of it. Not a lot happens, not a lot of jokes. Then the guy moves his fast fashion sweatshop to Springfield and it's an environmental disaster. Some decent jokes about how it's ruining Springfield (the workers are all coughing up glitter and tye dye and there's a 24/7 denim fire). Smithers decides he's OK with it because he has a type (evil billionaires), but then the guy kicks a puppy and they break up. Smithers adopts the puppy and is much more successful on the dating app because he has a cute dog in his photo.

Other stuff of note: Disco Stu is on the dating app as "hetero-flexible". Mr. Burns refuses to acknowledge that Smithers is gay at all so when Smithers goes to him for relationship advice, he recommends Smithers pretend to be gay so he can marry a billionaire.

I miss classic Smithers, when he had no objections to holding Tom Jones at gunpoint or Burns planning to shoot two kids in a basement to conceal a relatively minor dog theft.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

bitterandtwisted posted:

adjacent frame to this maybe? From the Otto Show where Bart confesses he's gave up on his guitar and Homer reassures him "if something's hard to do, it's not worth doing"

I should definitely buy that frame in that case

edit: You were right, found it:

Looks to be legit if you check the imperfections around the linework around the ear, teeth, and top of Bart's right eye

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 23, 2021

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I love how understated some of the jokes in the early seasons were. I was watching the episode where Homer steals cable this morning. Homer, Lenny, and Carl, are in the company showers talking about the big fight and Homer invites them over. Which cuts to Mr. Burns and Smithers evesdropping on the conversation through surveillance cameras. It took me a moment to even register the flagrant violation of privacy. I'm sure a later season episode would point out how hosed up surveillance cameras in a shower would be.

Speaking of undercutting jokes, rarlier in the episode they asked Bart what he learned about in Sunday School and he said "Hell." They had that brief conversation about cursing and Marge ended it with "Bart, you're no longer in Sunday School. Don't swear." Great line, perfect way to end the scene. While I'm also certain they would have undercut it with her going "Wait, hmm" in a modern season. It''s also the kind of thing I'd see a web comic or something do. For example, this comic.

It's a pretty good gag, but would be funnier cutting off the bottom two panels. When I first saw this a while back, I tested my theory. Cut them off and sent it to a friend who loved it. Sent him the unedited version and he agreed the edit was better.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

I think there's a lot of comedies where if you cut the last sentence of a joke/scene, it might end up being much funnier (or in some cases funny).

Going on that one beat too long feels like you're saying "did you get the joke? Didn't you?"

Editing is the hardest thing to learn when writing. Sometimes, you need to know when you're finished. You need to be able to walk away. In comedy, it can be like adding salt. You add the right amount, it makes the dish. You put in too much, you've ruined dinner.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Agreed. "Brevity is the soul of wit" and all that. In my experience the best writers' pieces get shorter the more they edit and revise them.

George Orwell's essay on Politics and the English Language has a lot to say about extraneous bullshit in writing.

I like Hemingway's statement, too: “The test of a book is how much good stuff you can throw away."

Imagined fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 25, 2021

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Reminds me of this classic Oglaf bit

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Why do these comics think that people just standing looking awkwardly is a punchline?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Cemetry Gator posted:

I think there's a lot of comedies where if you cut the last sentence of a joke/scene, it might end up being much funnier (or in some cases funny).

Going on that one beat too long feels like you're saying "did you get the joke? Didn't you?"

Editing is the hardest thing to learn when writing. Sometimes, you need to know when you're finished. You need to be able to walk away. In comedy, it can be like adding salt. You add the right amount, it makes the dish. You put in too much, you've ruined dinner.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Cemetry Gator posted:

Why do these comics think that people just standing looking awkwardly is a punchline?

Easier to illustrate.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Imagined posted:

Agreed. "Brevity is the soul of wit" and all that. In my experience the best writers' pieces get shorter the more they edit and revise them.

George Orwell's essay on Politics and the English Language has a lot to say about extraneous bullshit in writing.

I like Hemingway's statement, too: “The test of a book is how much good stuff you can throw away."

mentioned this before, but this is one reason some of the later seasons of archer are annoying cause the writers don't know when to end a goddamned joke. granted there are certain times i'll admit, where there is a nice payoff at the end of a very long back and forth, but then you gotta suffer through a bunch of filler in between.

Mantis42 posted:

Reminds me of this classic Oglaf bit

i think this one would have been better with the last two panels cut off too

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Cemetry Gator posted:

Yeah it's called Anchorman 2.

(I don't think there's much comedy being made anymore that doesn't gently caress this up)

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Mr Interweb posted:

mentioned this before, but this is one reason some of the later seasons of archer are annoying cause the writers don't know when to end a goddamned joke.

that sucks. the earlier seasons do a good job of quick-cutting right when the joke lands.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6K0VEI1Pas

“No. It’s Lance Vance who is wrong.”

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

45 year old comic book guy was given a 20-something asian cosplaying wife, I am comfortable saying this is the lowest point

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

w-wait are you saying that's an unrealistic coupling? very disturbing, if true...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

She also had a cosplaying fetish and he was tired of having sex with her. So, you know, very realistic.