Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Counterpoint: double Brave Blade requires you to not run from any fight in the game (and remember, Time Mage's Teleport spell also counts as running). gently caress that poo poo, it immediately makes Brave Blade the worst weapon in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Unless they buffed the hell out of the Brave Blade there is no universe where its better than Chicken Knife

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

My party is currently

Freelancer/Spellblade/Mug with dual-wield

Freelancer/Blue Magic/Black Magic

Mime/White/Time/Blue

Mime/Summon/Black/Sing

I just got the 4th tablet and honestly am breezing through things. The magic-using Freelancer has a decent balance of +Magic and +Strength gear.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Even if Goblin Punch still works with Brave Blade the good way and you can sidestep the running issue, Chicken Knife still deals more damage

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

They need to unfix the bug and let goblin punch work with excalipoor

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
counter-counterpoint: once you're sufficiently buff, apart from Omega you should do Twin Lance all the time since its cap is 19998 per attack rather than 9999

on Omega fists probably eventually win out over either (murasame, murakumo, probably even yoichi's bow also in contention)

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

"Sufficiently buff" meaning 10 times more powerful than what's needed to easily coast through every fight in the game. I don't think i've ever had a double lance deal more than like 1000 damage

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I've gone for Brave Blade exactly once, during my very first Fiesta, where I got Knight/Mystic Knight/Bard/Samurai.

Even then, I still ended up with it at only 147 attack power, and it taught me a valuable lesson: never go for Brave Blade, ever, no matter what.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It could have a max attack power of 1000 and it still wouldn't be worth fighting every. single. random. encounter.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm going for Brave Blade but I'm already worried about how White/Time Mage Galuf is going to deal with rescuing the gang from Exdeath's castle...

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The Brave Blade should do a fixed 9999 damage if you've never run from fights and maybe then it'd be worth considering.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

On omega, you just need spell blade-rapid fire some thundagas. Don't think it matters much what you wack it with at that point. Robots getting what's coming.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
My first fiesta I killed Omega with thousand needles.

I recommend structuring your life such that you never feel compelled to do this.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Prowler posted:

What is the general consensus on Bravely Default 2? I tend to agree with the general goon sentiment re: Bravely Default, Octopath Traveler (good games with great music with one or two glaring flaws that may make you dislike the game or rate it much lower than it could have been).

Not as good as BD1 or Bravely Second.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

But it does have an official pc release

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Considering how difficult it is to find a 3DS now, I wonder if SE is gonna let the first 2 games rot or re-release them on Switch or PC.

Baykin
Feb 11, 2008

Prowler posted:

What is the general consensus on Bravely Default 2? I tend to agree with the general goon sentiment re: Bravely Default, Octopath Traveler (good games with great music with one or two glaring flaws that may make you dislike the game or rate it much lower than it could have been).

It's the best of the games in my opinion. Simply for not having gross womanizing from BD1 and not having the cringiest anime bullshit from BS.

It passes the extremely low bar of having a completely serviceable story that won't detract from enjoying the stellar job system that the first two games sadly couldn't pull off for me.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Considering how difficult it is to find a 3DS now, I wonder if SE is gonna let the first 2 games rot or re-release them on Switch or PC.

Give me a Theaterythm port or give me death

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Baykin posted:

It's the best of the games in my opinion. Simply for not having gross womanizing from BD1 and not having the cringiest anime bullshit from BS.

It passes the extremely low bar of having a completely serviceable story that won't detract from enjoying the stellar job system that the first two games sadly couldn't pull off for me.

It also suffers from not having per-character costumes so your options are to have everyone look like a freelancer OR have everyone look like their job.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Professor Beetus posted:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

nrook posted:

My first fiesta I killed Omega with thousand needles.

I recommend structuring your life such that you never feel compelled to do this.

This year I did it with the Quick/Sap glitch. This requires casting Bio on Omega (reflected of one of your characters of course) to inflict Sap, and then casting Quick. While Quick is active, time is paused, but Sap continues to do damage... very, very slowly.

Even with 4x speedup on emulator, this took me over half an hour :shepicide:

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Most painful omega kill for me was NIN SAM SAM SAM.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I would describe BD2 as "blatantly unfinished", which is why the main villain is primarily motivated by events that, as far as I can tell, never happened.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Do elaborate.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
While you're all arguing about swords and poo poo I'm over here taking a lot of drugs and making out with a tree.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Mega64 posted:

While you're all arguing about swords and poo poo I'm over here taking a lot of drugs and making out with a tree.

Try bragging again when you have a splinter in your lips

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

thetoughestbean posted:

that's the body part you're worried about?????

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

thetoughestbean posted:

That's how you get your turtle pal killed.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
are there any crazy gilgamesh theories like it's actually timeskip butz??

I just started ff2 on psp and I enjoy it so far but this is a SaGa game

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

EightFlyingCars posted:

that's the body part you're worried about?????

Didn’t say which lips

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Pyrus Malus posted:

It pretty much is actually. The main guy behind SaGa worked on the first 2 FFs, among others.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Pyrus Malus posted:

It is explicitly the same Gilgamesh, making him the main character of Final Fantasy

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
I did the math. I did the monster math, :drac: or more appropriately 🌳:smaug::psylon:. Excel is here if you want to play with it.

Trash mobs (Bare Butz; the others will act essentially as Butz as a level or two lower)

Trash mobs (STR loadout Butz; Freelancer with *MNK +26, Ribbon +5, Power Tasuki +3, and Kaiser Knuckles or Titan's Glove +5)

STR is not a road to BB viability, since CK's deal is that it gets the same STR bonus hits PLUS working AGI bonus hits. Therefore it's pointless to include the balanced loadout with *THF and definitely Kaiser Knuckles.

However, things start to change as enemies get beefier and unfleeable. For NED in particular CK takes a big hit as we're now talking CK expected damage (*0.75 due to !Flee procs):

BB stands up through level 18, and the crit potential of the other weapons starts to pull THEM into closer competition.

Adding in STR makes BB/Murakumo the choices, and CK barely on par with Yoichi's Bow, the weapon you only get because if you were getting the Kaiser Knuckles anyway you may as well grab the tablet.

Conversely, balanced gear places CK back in the running with Murakumo and BB slightly worse.

Up to Shinryu:

I've never really cared for FF5 crit, but this is actually changing my mind. BB stays in the mix all the way through level 41 now.

As things get more defense, BB is just gonna be more and more superior with STR gear, while CK starts to honestly suck if the wielder isn't working on multiple primary stats.

Even AGI gearing doesn't save it in comparison to the other powerhouses.

Finally, Prototype, the highest defense in the game that can be pierced by anything but a very lategame MNK:

BB is technically the superior of the two, but this is all [strikethrough]Zilart jobs[/strikethrough]crit territory. Monks are eventually best, but can't even hit it until they've got a few levels under their belt, an equipment slot soon to be removed. :v:

If AGI gearing didn't help CK on Shinryu, it helps even less here.

And finally, Omega. Omega's graphs will be special, because...

If it were possible to do negative damage in melee, you'd just heal Omega HARDER the higher you leveled as you did more hits for at least -40 damage. Monk doesn't do damage at all without critting with KK until level 62, and isn't guaranteed damage until 69 (which I'm sure is nice for them). Take off the knuckles and it's 84 and 94.

Instead, we need to assume !Spellblade, either Thundaga which multiplies damage per hit by 4 and nullifies defense or Flare which increases damage per hit by 100 and quarters defense.

(Can't Flare in this one, !Spellblade 6 would give the mastery)

(With MK mastery bonuses only)

Yep, CK is it unless gearing specifically for STR (which basically just means not mastering THF.) Remember, though, damage over 65535 overflows; BB is better from levels 1-2 but also 144-164 since it's still just getting clamped to 9999 while in that range CK is getting mod 65536 before the clamp for 12-9648. But why would you stop?
Oh, and Flare is a bad choice on anything with a vulnerability; +100 damage/75% pierce per hit is only better than 4X+100% pierce on weapons with 33 or less attack for trash, 30 for NED, 28 for Shinryu, 25 for Prototype, and 17 for Omega. If you must, it extends overall BB viability fighting Omega to level 10 though before the added CK hits add up. You know, if you really want to fight Omega in the single digits without Slip shenanigans.

Notes:
* Some of the sample monsters have an evade chance. This is not addressed in the formulae as it applies equally to all the weapons; assume the expected output of !Fight is *0.05 listed for Omega, *0.3 for Acheron and *0.8 for Shinryu.
* The math adds up properly for Yoichi's inherent miss rate because hit and evade are separate rolls; 90% hit into a 20% evade enemy is not one roll that fails below 70 or 72, it's a jump out of the attack sequence if d100 > 90, followed by a separate jump out of the attack sequence if a new d100 < 20. FF5 uses a rolls table and this is probably TASable pretty hard.
* Masamune and Murasame aren't included because zzz.
* Yoichi's Bow is included to show off the weird-rear end glitchy behavior of SNES FF5; since the AGI contribution to non-Chicken Knife AGI weapons integer divides by 128 but accidentally* uses an 8-bit rather than 16-bit divide, you can LOSE hits with bows (daggers, etc) as your stats increase if AGI*LV grows to 256-383, 512-767, or so on.
It's almost definitely not an accident, just a way to nerf the otherwise crazy AGI scaling late in development without rebalancing AGI weapon bases lower (lots of work, very noticeable, turns them to complete garbage on anything with defense), changing the length of the machine code which handles AGI weapons (looooots of work as everything which comes after in the ROM and was referenced directly by address would need to be rewritten), or cut it completely (and still have to rebalance the early AGI weapons upward to compensate, probably obsoleting the earliest sword or two.)
* X-Fight ignores defense completely and halves number of hits; essentially, use the trash table which likewise means 0 defense and no occasional missed !Flee.
* Levels 100-255, available only through the wonders of modern chemistry, are not provided because the curves become obvious well before. Ditto for Bard buffing combat stats to 99.
* Unlike FF3 which allows for damage up to 65535 and only clamps display to 9999, FF5 clamps the actual damage done to 9999. So first to hit 9999 will never be beaten from there on, only eventually tied, unless on SNES where you eventually overflow--if you're doing some hyperspecific Chemist/Bard setup on actual hardware, you should be committed enough to open the xls yourself.
* If you're deeply concerned about theoretical damage, on the other hand, it's always Monk. Always. Except Prototype/Omega, shockingly. Or if you want to throw Sword Dance into the mix.

Key takeaways:
* BB is theoretically preferable in a hyper-low-level challenge, but only if you never run. This is for obvious reasons impossible without crazy levels of RNG manipulation or using a trainer to kill and revive the appropriate characters for bosses.
* BB is theoretically preferable in some cases if you can't afford a Ribbon for Butz and want your Kaiser Knuckles on someone else.
* BB has two or three fights through the game where it's unironically just better.
* BB is almost identical to a perfectly reliable Murakumo at 0 defense, often outpaces CK when defense is in play, but does not outpace crit options except on Omega--where !Spellblade nullifies defense anyway.
* Take the drat meme knife. The fights it's worse than BB at have other, better solutions than a BB. Just understand that you can construct a thought experiment where you shouldn't, if Thanksgiving downtime has you stir-crazy and looking for an excuse to repeatedly type "bare Butz" and chuckle by Monday afternoon.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 23, 2021

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Professor Beetus posted:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Just tell me how much gil I need to be at the game with Zeninaga

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Having The Expected Critical Path, your eventual level and wallet, and its HP/MP requirements documented, down to exactly which encounters you'll get on the shortest grab-everything path of 1-2 where the encounter RNG is definitely not affected by anything else and at least the average encounters for 3-6 where other actions can jump you around the roll table, would actually be really drat interesting. Figuring it out was definitely a part of at least the FF5 dev project, there's no way they didn't know exactly what they were doing with L5 Death all over the Ancient Library.

But it's also a months-long research project. Maybe a TAS player will do it someday.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Just beat X-ATM092 and escaped with 15 seconds left on the timer :shepface: Ragnarok mod has a high difficulty mode that I'm playing on and man everything is dangerous. Then again, I only have one GF with HP-J so far

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Chillgamesh posted:

Just beat X-ATM092 and escaped with 15 seconds left on the timer :shepface: Ragnarok mod has a high difficulty mode that I'm playing on and man everything is dangerous. Then again, I only have one GF with HP-J so far

The one time I killed X-ATM, I solo grinded Seifer up enough for Thundaga to show up in spell lists, then transfered a bunch over to Squall and Zell.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bravely Default 2 is, to me, not as good as Bravely Second, because:
  • The fully round-based battle system of Bravely Second offers more tactical depth in combination with the Brave/Default system than the CTB-like system of Bravely Default 2
  • The really powerful job combos in Bravely Second open up more gradually and are a bit harder to discover, whereas in Bravely Default 2 each job is more self-contained, and the things you pick from sub-jobs are more about improving your efficiency than unlocking entirely new tactics
  • The twist leading up to the true ending of Bravely Second is clever
  • I'm a glutton for the particular flavor of anime horseshit that you get in a game where the first thing that happens is a character voiced by Cam Clarke showing up ranting about oblivion and no-selling all the strongest attacks from a party that includes a major villain from the last game

However, Bravely Default 2 is better than Bravely Default 1, because BD1 has this bizarre overabundance of really uncomfortable womanizer characters (but neither of its sequels suffers from this, proof that this producer incorporates user feedback), and because BD2's party is more fun on average despite the handicap of not having Edea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

zakharov posted:

The 3x speed makes battles go too quickly for my taste but I have zero compunction about using the no encounters cheat, especially in 7 and 9 where it's not possible to get that ability through normal game play. Side quests become 1000x less annoying.

Yeah, I usually turn it off for actual battles unless I'm grinding in the form of "hold down A" like drawing full stocks of spells in FFVIII. I forgot about the no encounters thing, that would have made getting around a bit quicker.

Annoyingly, in IX the cheats including turbo mode are activated from the pause screen, so you can't click it on and off momentarily to expedite the super slow battle loading and animations.