Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Lost Levels is only for tryhards. No normies have ever cleared it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

teethgrinder posted:

I grew up on NES and have beaten Battletoads, have beat Contra & Super C in a single life (though I'm so rusty now). SMB2 is the first game I ever beat... I have never beat SMB1.

And every so often I give it a shot and ... just don't like the physics.

Git gud

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

teethgrinder posted:

I grew up on NES and have beaten Battletoads, have beat Contra & Super C in a single life (though I'm so rusty now). SMB2 is the first game I ever beat... I have never beat SMB1.

And every so often I give it a shot and ... just don't like the physics.

SMB1 has perfect platforming physics. Everything else feels wrong. Also, it takes like 10 minutes to beat if you get lucky with the hammer fuckers.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

:hmmyes:

I mean I got some grief over my choice of character but otherwise it was fun

Another Toad player :lofty:

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Fister Roboto posted:

I always thought that games were brutally hard in order to sell strategy guides and get kids to call in to telephone hint lines. Turns out there's another totally concurrent reason!

:capitalism:

The main reason was just that you could beat most games in half an hour if you didn't die or get lost in a maze.

There's a video of Yahtzee from Zero Punctuation playing the arcade version of Michael Jackson's Moonwalker with his Australian friend and they beat it in 40 minutes and then had to figure out what they were going to do for the rest of the stream. They played it two more times.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So what I'm hearing is that there was a conspiracy a foot and I'm actually good at video games.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

zoux posted:

So what I'm hearing is that there was a conspiracy a foot and I'm actually good at video games.

Have you ever heard of a little game called, Dark Soul's

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Heath posted:

Have you ever heard of a little game called, Dark Soul's

Just Dark Souls & Knuckles

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Heath posted:

Another Toad player :lofty:

hell yeah

this post brought to you by Toad Gang

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
Luigi could jump real high and Peach could float, but I can't remember what Toad's deal was.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Luigi could jump real high and Peach could float, but I can't remember what Toad's deal was.

He's fast as poo poo and the strongest.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Wasn't it some bullshit like 'picks up vegetables the fastest'

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

Killingyouguy! posted:

Look at this scrub who never realized Toad was key to getting a crapton of coins for the 1up slot machine.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Killingyouguy! posted:

Pulling up/picking up anything iirc. There were a few levels that was super helpful

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

lol

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Toad is the best. He tells you this fact quite often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9HKrp6M28s

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0

:kimchi:

e: the gently caress, why's it tiny. one sec, will fix

e2: fixed. i hope.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

lmao

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Tiny Toad is super strong"

— Nintendo Power inaugural issue that I read so many times it fell apart

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Pendragon posted:

Look at this scrub who never realized Toad was key to getting a crapton of coins for the 1up slot machine.

And digging through those goddamn sand pits, esp. when Phanto is there to piss you off

Also, I beat SNES Aladdin during one rental; tough poo poo, Disney :meowth:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The SNES one was a Capcom joint, most all the Capcom Disney games are pretty good-to-excellent

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

chglcu posted:

SMB1 has perfect platforming physics. Everything else feels wrong. Also, it takes like 10 minutes to beat if you get lucky with the hammer fuckers.

I remember in the late 80s there was an NES set up in my local blockbuster with SMB on it. I finished it while my parents were choosing a movie, while some younger kid (maybe 6 or 7) goggled at me like "what magic are you doing? How did you walk out of the level?!?!"

There was a game called Faxanadu that I loving loved from that generation. Made sure I got every power up, and got ready for the real jump in difficulty after you got the Pendant.

Turns out, someone hosed up the code for that item. When you got it, instead of getting +25% damage, you actually got -25% damage. And you couldn't choose to equip it; once you picked it up, you had it until the end of the game.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

code:
git: 'gud' is not a git command. See 'git --help'.

The most similar command is
        gui

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
NES and SNES Disney games were

Mostly very good
Mostly very hard

This includes DuckTales, Rescue Rangers, Aladdin, Lion King, Mickey's Magical Quest, etc

I never learned how to flip Scar while I rented that game :sadwave:

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Chloe Jessica posted:

:kimchi:

e: the gently caress, why's it tiny. one sec, will fix

e2: fixed. i hope.

:3:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Memento posted:

I remember in the late 80s there was an NES set up in my local blockbuster with SMB on it. I finished it while my parents were choosing a movie, while some younger kid (maybe 6 or 7) goggled at me like "what magic are you doing? How did you walk out of the level?!?!"

There was a game called Faxanadu that I loving loved from that generation. Made sure I got every power up, and got ready for the real jump in difficulty after you got the Pendant.

Turns out, someone hosed up the code for that item. When you got it, instead of getting +25% damage, you actually got -25% damage. And you couldn't choose to equip it; once you picked it up, you had it until the end of the game.

Ackshually, it was coded so that you had the pendant from the start of the game, with the +25% damage boost already applied, and when you picked up the Pendant, you lost the effect. Unlike, of course, every other item, where getting the item gave you the associated effect.

(:goonsay:)

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Also 1995. Thanks, by the way, I’d been trying to find this one off and on for a while. It’s so dumb I gotta laugh.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

No, it meant I was ashamed of my extremely spindly arms.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

:hmmyes:

I mean I got some grief over my choice of character but otherwise it was fun

Look at you just trying to float through life

projecthalaxy posted:

Lost Levels is only for tryhards. No normies have ever cleared it.

It (the SNES version at least) wasn't really that hard for adult me. They made it pretty instinctual when you're up above the clouds and can't see anything.

Hell I remember SMB1 being super challenging when I was a kid but then 20 years later my neighbor gave me and my SO his old NES and we could both cruise through it on memory like it was child's play.

BaldDwarfOnPCP has a new favorite as of 02:25 on Nov 23, 2021

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

It (the SNES version at least) wasn't really that hard for adult me. They made it pretty instinctual when you're up above the clouds and can't see anything.

The SNES version was hard, but mitigated completely by allowing you to save in every stage (not just every world like in the other games).

quote:

Hell I remember SMB1 being super challenging when I was a kid but then 20 years later my neighbor gave me and my SO his old NES and we could both cruise through it on memory like it was child's play.

Yeah, one time in, idk, 2007, I was at a party where, after everyone finally quit playing guitar hero and smash melee for what seemed like hours, they started trying to beat SMB1. I managed to get through it three or four times with no game overs and without doing the 99 lives trick (because I could never get that poo poo to work), only stopping because I was well beyond ready to leave.

I almost miss having friends.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Right now, it means I have a company shirt for work, but also it’s very cold out.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Look at you just trying to float through life
😉
👉👉

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Paladinus posted:

No, it meant I was ashamed of my extremely spindly arms.

Hmm. Exactly how spindly?
Skinny? Skeletal? Stick-figure-esque?

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

this guy should just go to a rage a gainst the machine cover band concert

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

The Bloop posted:

NES and SNES Disney games were

Mostly very good
Mostly very hard

This includes DuckTales, Rescue Rangers, Aladdin, Lion King, Mickey's Magical Quest, etc

I never learned how to flip Scar while I rented that game :sadwave:

I beat DuckTales the day i got it and i was like 7

I'm skeptical lumping it in with the other games for "hard"

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Tree Bucket posted:

Hmm. Exactly how spindly?
Skinny? Skeletal? Stick-figure-esque?

Some described them as concentration camp cadaverous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

theflyingorc posted:

I beat DuckTales the day i got it and i was like 7

I'm skeptical lumping it in with the other games for "hard"

Chip n' Dale MMORPG Rescue Rangers for NES is also both pretty easy and very fun, the co-op is great too