Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
New dev diary - Court Type Content

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
It just looks cooler and cooler. Those Eastern court furniture and decor are phenomenal.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
https://twitter.com/CrusaderKings/status/1462133644697292803?s=20

That is a Templar cipher (a version of the pigpen cipher) and apparently it says royal court release day announcement Tuesday

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Excited for a release date, let’s hope it’s sooner rather than later!

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I feel like I'm the only person who's just generally unimpressed by what's being shown. I'm expecting it'll be no more than one and a half-playthroughs before all those events start to blend into nothing because I've seen them before and am clicking the option I know gives whichever outcome I want without even reading them, and at that point I expect that going to a court screen to resolve those events is going to feel like a chore, no matter how pretty the throne room looks. And maybe I'm just a huge no-fun stick in the mud, but artifacts like a spear that gives you 20% less stress gain just sounds...silly? I know that was a thing in CK2, but I wasn't massively enthused with it back then either, and it came in like the 10th expansion after every playable religion and government had had at least one major expansion.

I'm looking forward to the bits focused on the actual map-game part of CK3, like the new culture system, but the rest of it just strikes me as bolting on a bunch of new mechanics which I don't think will feel particularly interesting or engaging after a few hours, honestly.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Reveilled posted:

I feel like I'm the only person who's just generally unimpressed by what's being shown. I'm expecting it'll be no more than one and a half-playthroughs before all those events start to blend into nothing because I've seen them before and am clicking the option I know gives whichever outcome I want without even reading them, and at that point I expect that going to a court screen to resolve those events is going to feel like a chore, no matter how pretty the throne room looks. And maybe I'm just a huge no-fun stick in the mud, but artifacts like a spear that gives you 20% less stress gain just sounds...silly? I know that was a thing in CK2, but I wasn't massively enthused with it back then either, and it came in like the 10th expansion after every playable religion and government had had at least one major expansion.

I'm looking forward to the bits focused on the actual map-game part of CK3, like the new culture system, but the rest of it just strikes me as bolting on a bunch of new mechanics which I don't think will feel particularly interesting or engaging after a few hours, honestly.

Even if the events themselves end up like that, I'm excited for the modding possibilities. Court events and artifacts seem like they could be taken in a lot of different directions.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I do share Reveilled's concerns about the events (and they've certainly taken a lot of the dev diary space) but I think that courts, the culture rework, and artifacts can/will actually have useful and interesting effects on the mapgame (desperately necessary gold sinks, differentiating between various coloured blobs, things to fight and scheme over) plus filling in a bit of a void in the narrative side of it (plus, yeah, for the mods), so on balance I'm still looking forward to the expansion - plus I've already bought it so whatever, I'll live.

Dec 30, 2008
I kind of like the court stuff as a first DLC because it's the sort of system they can add to with each subsequent DLC so that even if it does feel a bit bare bones at first it eventually could become something really cool that adds a lot to the game. Although I also enjoyed all the goofy artifacts and bloodlines and stuff that they added at the end of CK2, so maybe I'm just the target audience for all of this nonsense.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Mods are gonna go buckwild with the court stuff, just like the two big mods that add more hats and clothes styles rule

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
The court stuff is just endless fodder for modders.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Playing in India is just bonkers for renown generation. Lots of small kingdoms, and the 7 Hindu holy sites + Dagon give you +40% renown. 200 years in as the Deccan Emperor, I'm sitting at just under 40 renown a month.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

February 8th.

https://twitter.com/CrusaderKings/status/1463190775286665221

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Well Anbennar-for-CK3 will enjoy that system.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Ugh February is so long from now. I'm holding off on a few 'empire-level' playthroughs (Daurama Daura, Eudes -> Frankokratia, Matilda -> Roman Empire, etc.) because they'd probably be more interesting with a court once I'm past the duke level.

How screwed do the achievements usually get after a big update with Paradox? Like, should I wait a week or two before picking a Karling to consolidate the HRE?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I'm waiting on some big empire playthroughs as well. First half of 2022 is going to be some serious CK3 gaming, that's for sure.

gently caress I wish it was out over the holiday, but so it goes!

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
CK3 expansion, Warhammer 3 and Elden Ring is gonna make for a crowded early 2022 for me.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
loving hell paradox just gimme the thing. I want to create my fancy hybrid kultur.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Im very anxious for the DLC but is better to wait till february instead of getting a buggy mess

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Albino Squirrel posted:

How screwed do the achievements usually get after a big update with Paradox? Like, should I wait a week or two before picking a Karling to consolidate the HRE?

Usually not too bad, but if you want to do the Karling one, you might as well just get it done now. More mandatory money sinks in the new patch makes it harder to maintain a giant pile of men at arms.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Elias_Maluco posted:

Im very anxious for the DLC but is better to wait till february instead of getting a buggy mess

Paradox: Why not both?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Knuc U Kinte posted:

boo this man

(but yea)

Anno
May 10, 2017

I feel like CK3 specifically has been pretty polished? The longer dev cycles have their upsides.

Maenad
Nov 16, 2021

Dionysio

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The middle path is waiting for a hotfix or two.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Anno posted:

I feel like CK3 specifically has been pretty polished? The longer dev cycles have their upsides.

Extremely polished. I'm not exactly stoked about how long it's taking for new content to drop given that the mechanics are so shallow and generic right now, but there is no denying that the longer cycle time is preventing issues from slipping out. I can't recall any major bugs associated with the previous patch, or even the main release really.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

I'm on holiday when this drops so as long as it's not a Leviathan level disaster I should be fine.

Does anyone know if they're adding more cultures alongside the rework? I had fun as a custom Assyrian character recently and was wondering if Mespotamia and the Levant was so thoroughly Arabized by 867, or that Anatolia was as much of a Greek monoculture as it's represented in the game that they couldn't add a few new cultures in that region.

Anno
May 10, 2017

PittTheElder posted:

Extremely polished. I'm not exactly stoked about how long it's taking for new content to drop given that the mechanics are so shallow and generic right now, but there is no denying that the longer cycle time is preventing issues from slipping out. I can't recall any major bugs associated with the previous patch, or even the main release really.

The only bug I've encountered that registered as really annoying were the subset of raiding armies that were untargetable at the release of NL. I think it was if they were armies of a non-independent ruler? Can't exactly remember.

PDS games in generally seem to be taking longer with their expansions (not the story/immersion types) as of late so I suspect this is just how it's going to be. What they could really use though is the 3-month cadence of base-game improvement patches that Stellaris has been on for a few patches now.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Whorelord posted:

I'm on holiday when this drops so as long as it's not a Leviathan level disaster I should be fine.

Does anyone know if they're adding more cultures alongside the rework? I had fun as a custom Assyrian character recently and was wondering if Mespotamia and the Levant was so thoroughly Arabized by 867, or that Anatolia was as much of a Greek monoculture as it's represented in the game that they couldn't add a few new cultures in that region.

I remember the dev diary on hybrids/divergent cultures mentioned that new historical cultures can emerge, like specific hybrids have their own names based on things that happened in history. (Examples being English and Maghrebi) I want to say I remember them talking about some new cultures- AH WAIT Found it:

https://www.crusaderkings.com/en/pc/news/dev-diary-67-a-view-to-a-map

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
It seems like whenever I mentor one of my sons, I get events that just leave them lazy, craven, and arbitrary. How do I stop getting these events? It doesn’t matter what my skills are, those are the three they get.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Beerdeer posted:

It seems like whenever I mentor one of my sons, I get events that just leave them lazy, craven, and arbitrary. How do I stop getting these events? It doesn’t matter what my skills are, those are the three they get.

I am sure many a ruler in the past have pondered the same questions.

Oh my son. Why art thou a craven?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

And its the same answer - they learned it from you.

Have them get educated by someone with better personality traits if you don't want them getting your lovely ones!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

what are the cool mods rn

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

what are the cool mods rn

godherja is a neat tc

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's time to get back into this. What's the currently recommended composition for your MaA at the start of the game (867)? I'm pretty sure I asked this last time, but all I remember is that light infantry is dogshit

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
~2 stacks of onagers, the rest should be special MAA (preferably Varangian Veterans/ Horse Archers / Mubarizun)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Unfortunately, right now I can only choose between pikemen, bowmen, light horsemen, light footmen, and onagers.

e: oh problem solved, I lost my capital county to Badajoz as they loving destroyed Asturias

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 6, 2021

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

In that situation what I typically do is look at who you’re fighting and pick the unit comp that best counters theirs.

Also don’t underestimate the importance of having a really good leader. Marry off any available courtiers to someone with the highest martial score you can get if you don’t have one already.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I thought that Light infantry MaAs were pretty good all around because they are cheap enough to bulk up your armies and the AI tends to get heavy Infantry MaAs. Light Cav is great for stackwiping.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I was fairly certain the best option is just full heavy cav, with full heavy infantry if you don't have heavy cav yet or can't afford it.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember
I think the most important thing with MaA is going all in on one unit type -- stacking all the bonuses is going to get more mileage than spreading the upgrades around (generally speaking). Pretty sure you can ruin the AIs day with any MaA type following this rule.

Elephants are the best if you're playing India and get those juicy jungle holdings to upgrade them -- a single regiment of elephants kills literally thousands of levies by itself. For most of the rest of the map heavy cavalary are great if you have the right terrain to support them (farmland). Otherwise I think Archers until you can transition Crossbowmen is best unless something has changed in the last couple of months.

Jaytan fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
Nah, elephants are overrated. Egregiously overpriced, and worse combat ability per stack than the generic Heavy Cav to boot.

Heavy Cav is the best ‘generic’ MAA, but it’s tough to get the terrain needed to stack its normal building, and it comes ~60 years later, if not longer.
Better off stacking Heavy Infantry or Archers, tho really you should be trying to get your hands on some special MAA, by culture conversion, education, or otherwise