Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Somewhat true, depending on how you lose the disks. Total failure, yes. Partial failure like one drive dead and an unrecoverable sector on another in the same vdev, ZFS can probably pull most of your data out of the fire.

Main reason I like having lots of raidz1 vdevs is the ability to grow the array without having to replace every drive at once. The downside of this is that you inevitably end up with unbalanced vdevs, but so far I've been able to manage this without block pointer rewrite by upgrading the most full vdev and then playing musical disks the whole way down so that each vdev has a similar-ish amount of free space.

If you aren't concerned about expanding by just upgrading three or four drives at a time, then yeah, just go with a single raidz2 or raidz3, depending on how much you hate the idea of reacquiring Linux ISOs.
Yeah, ZFS' ability to deal with partial failures is what makes it really stand out - whether it be losing one disk and getting an URE or losing 3 disks and getting an URE, it simply doesn't throw all the data away like traditional RAID does.

That downside is, if I'm not mistaken, not as bad anymore - there's a facility in place that will make some attempt to write most of the data to the vdev that isn't as full.

As for expanding, even if you're using raidz, you can still replace one disk at a time. There's a pool property called autoexpand which, when enabled (though it does need to be enabled before you start replacing devices), will automatically expand any vdev to fit the available space once all members of the vdev have been upgraded.
While this is of limited use if all your disks are the same size (although it's still not as useless as some people think, since it allows you to buy a new disk every so often as budget permits, and eventually end up with a lot more space), it's really helpful if you plan ahead for it.
It's perhaps also worth mentioning that the feature will really come into its own once raidz expansion lands - and there's an update on that in the newest FreeBSD status report.

And speaking of new things in ZFS, there's a whole bunch of new videos from the OpenZFS Developer Summit, starting with the state of OpenZFS in 2021:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiLSdwx1yhU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Best Buy has the EasyStore 14TB for $199.99, go get them while they're hot.

Can also get the 15% off coupon if you bring in old storage devices to get recycled, slickdeals saying old 256mb memory cards are eligible. I won't make it into a store for a while so settled on the $200 x 3.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The WD Ultrastar DC H550 18TB is $379 on newegg. Not an amazing bargain price but I think 18TB was the largest disk made until WD announced 20TB three days ago, and these aren't shucks, plus they have a 5 year warranty.
https://www.newegg.com/western-digital-ultrastar-dc-hc550-wuh721818ale6l4-0f38459-18tb/p/1Z4-0002-01CG8
+ $27 off w/ promo code SSAYA923, limited offer

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

TraderStav posted:

Can also get the 15% off coupon if you bring in old storage devices to get recycled, slickdeals saying old 256mb memory cards are eligible. I won't make it into a store for a while so settled on the $200 x 3.

Dangit. I managed to get two at the discounted price the other week but was not patient enough for them to go on sale again

Did leverage the 15% coupon deal for the other three, which got the total price closer to $200/each, but it would have been nice to stack those discounts

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
15% coupon isn't just for old drives. I brought in a broken digital camera, phone, iPod, and 1tb drive and was given 4 coupons. Not bad!

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

If any UK people need big drives to shuck, Amazon has WD Elements on offer atm. 18TB down from £450 to £260 which is pretty bonkers. They are all reduced from 25-45%.
I hope they are cheap after xmas and I may get some (not 18TB lol) instead of my plans for some cheap refurbished sas drives.

-e-
I checked around to see if anyone was matching the price as I hate Amazon, but even the WD shop is 15% or so higher lol

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Nov 20, 2021

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Had a 10tb drive crash on my synology last week after a power failure. I was really pleased with how well shr recovered. It tooks days to rebuild the drive and re-check everything, but I was up and running again with nothing lost in 30 minutes.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

vanilla slimfast posted:

Dangit. I managed to get two at the discounted price the other week but was not patient enough for them to go on sale again

Did leverage the 15% coupon deal for the other three, which got the total price closer to $200/each, but it would have been nice to stack those discounts

Best Buy does price matching on purchases either 30 or 90 days post-sale, just open up chat support and give them your order info.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
After swapping an external drive between my devices for a few years I'm thinking about getting babby's first NAS. I read the last ten pages of this thread and a bunch of reviews, and have one thing I'd like to clear up.

The hardware's ability to handle transcoding seems to be a major consideration, but I plan to point VLC on my Xbox Series X at the shared folder and (I'm assuming) directly play without transcoding on the NAS. Am I right in thinking that should work, with the NAS simply sending the data and the Xbox handling anything hardware-intensive?

My needs are super simple. Aside from the above I just want to be able to save + access files from my MacBook and occasionally SMB share old games to my PS2. I'm leaning towards one of the entry level Synology or QNAP units around $200, or hopefully less if any Black Friday deals pop up.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah, if you are direct playing media locally then transcoding only comes into play on certain types of subtitles. IIRC SRT are fine, PGS and VOBSUB are gonna force a transcode.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Sounds great, thanks for confirming that.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

Yeah, if you are direct playing media locally then transcoding only comes into play on certain types of subtitles. IIRC SRT are fine, PGS and VOBSUB are gonna force a transcode.

Just for my knowledge because I'm running a super low powered sever for plex, so if a PGS/VOBSUB subtitle is being used, is it as taxing as being forced to transcode into a different file format? Or is it just 'transcoding' the subtitle onto the frames of the video and it's not that taxing? Just trying to optimize.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Sheep posted:

Best Buy does price matching on purchases either 30 or 90 days post-sale, just open up chat support and give them your order info.

Snap! Thanks for the heads up

Edit: contacted their chat, they do not honor price matches between Nov 19th and 29th due to Black Friday, so hopefully the lower price holds until then so I can try again

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 20, 2021

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

Just for my knowledge because I'm running a super low powered sever for plex, so if a PGS/VOBSUB subtitle is being used, is it as taxing as being forced to transcode into a different file format? Or is it just 'transcoding' the subtitle onto the frames of the video and it's not that taxing? Just trying to optimize.

That's an interesting question, they are both transcoding the video stream but I've never really considered what the relative load would be.

E: found this in a Jellyfin FAQ, presumably it's universal

quote:

Subtitles can be a subtle issue for transcoding. Containers have a limited number of subtitles that are supported. If subtitles need to be transcoded, it will happen one of two ways: they can be converted into another format that is supported, or burned into the video due to the subtitle transcoding not being supported. Burning in subtitles is the most intensive method of transcoding. This is due to two transcodings happening at once; applying the subtitle layer on top of the video layer.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 20, 2021

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I recently got a tower to use as a server but haven't set anything up yet. I've done some research but am experiencing some decision paralysis of what direction to go. The hardware is a 8600k with 16GB RAM, and my goal is to create an easily accessible digital hub and vault for my life. Plex, digitized document storage, nextcloud, and so on. I don't necessarily want a turnkey solution, I'd also like to take the opportunity to learn a bit more linux, but not so much I'm overwhelmed. Right now I have a Pi4 running only transmission and just keeping that going reaches the limits of my ability. I also want to maximize reliability even if it's more work up front. So I'd like to stay away from unraid for those and other reasons (proprietary, etc). TrueNAS Core seems great but might be a little too dense, and with unnecessary/overkill features for me. My use-case also involves wanting to grow my drive pool little by little as I buy new drives, so I run up on the classic zfs limitation there. My understanding is that limitation can be worked around, but I'd rather not work around a limitation in the first place if I don't have to. But I don't have an intuitive understanding of how big of a spread of reliability is between xfs vs zfs vs btrfs, and people on the internet seem to have all kinds of different opinions with that. I currently have 36TB stored on ext4. Is that...bad? Or just slightly less good? Couldn't say. Broadly my plan would be to use openmediavault with snapraid (6x14TB, 2 parity drives = 56TB) and mergerfs, and btrfs as my drive filesystem. Are there some limitations/pitfalls to that plan I should be aware of?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

RAID (except RAID0 which isn't RAID) is about availability, not reliability - which is to say that the purpose is to ensure that the data is available even if N number of blocks and/or N number of disks fail.
This is also why you'll see the "RAID is not backup" mantra being thrown around a lot of places - because backup is (a type of) reliability.

Traditional filesystems such as EXT4 on Linux, UFS on FreeBSD, HFS+ on macOS, and NTFS on FreeBSD are all built on the assumption that disks aren't malicious and that they will do a reasonable job in trying to protect the data they store.
As anyone who's ever worked as a storage engineer will tell you, this is wrong (and has been wrong since before the 2000s).
ZFS was built on the assumption that disks cannot be trusted, and that every interaction needs to be verified in some way, both for the data, the metadata, and in the way that the data itself is structured on-disk (so that it effectively forms a tree that can verify itself from the bottom up) - and provided you don't try and do something exceptionally dumb (which some people do try to, and them incorrectly blame ZFS when it messes up), it's done a pretty good job of keeping all sorts of data; anything from peoples private data up to and including production data on some of the worlds biggest supercomputers has been stored on it over the past almost-20-years.

Other more modern filesystems like BTRFS, XFS, and similar also offer some level of verifications - although not all of them have the same level of rigor, as for example XFS only checksums metadata, and BTRFS unfortunately has a long history of being quite cavalier with its promises and then quietly reneging on them only after it's been proven to cause corruption.
MergerFS sounds to me like someone's idea of the best way to lose data the quickest, because it's basically a way to concatenate across multiple different machines, without any availability built-in as you might find in a clustering filesystem and it relies on whatever availability (or lack thereof) is provided by the individual machines' filesystem.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

That's an interesting question, they are both transcoding the video stream but I've never really considered what the relative load would be.

E: found this in a Jellyfin FAQ, presumably it's universal

Interesting, thanks.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

That downside is, if I'm not mistaken, not as bad anymore - there's a facility in place that will make some attempt to write most of the data to the vdev that isn't as full.

This is true. The only way you'll still run into a problem with it is if you have an extremely lopsided situation where you fill up a very large vdev / set of vdevs, and then add a relatively small vdev, and you have actual "production" workloads.

and eventually end up with a lot more space

I know, I just hate the "eventually" aspect. I've also grown used to my own personal scenario where I'm not drive-bay constrained so being able to just throw 2-4 drives at it for a new vdev is an affordable way to get extra space now.

Ultimately I love how much abuse ZFS tolerates in this scenario. I'm up to a 20-drive pool across five four-disk raidz1 vdevs, with some drives in the pool at 50k hours, and I still haven't lost more than a handful of files over the years. I've lost smaller pools to smaller errors in the past.

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

but I plan to point VLC on my Xbox Series X at the shared folder

I think everyone else missed this. If you're literally just setting up a fileshare and VLC is directly reading the actual media files from that fileshare - not only is your NAS not going to do any transcoding, there's no way it could.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I have a synology NAS moving a shared folder from one volume to another. I see there’s a way to send notifications for various things and I have the email sending set up, I just want it to send me an email when the shared folder moving is complete. I can’t find that setting (in control panel > notifications > advanced) though. Is what I want possible?

Also, are any of the sms server things they use legit? I think I’d like that but I’m worried about exposing my number to a service that might “lose” it somehow.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

RAID (except RAID0 which isn't RAID) is about availability, not reliability - which is to say that the purpose is to ensure that the data is available even if N number of blocks and/or N number of disks fail.
This is also why you'll see the "RAID is not backup" mantra being thrown around a lot of places - because backup is (a type of) reliability.

Traditional filesystems such as EXT4 on Linux, UFS on FreeBSD, HFS+ on macOS, and NTFS on FreeBSD are all built on the assumption that disks aren't malicious and that they will do a reasonable job in trying to protect the data they store.
As anyone who's ever worked as a storage engineer will tell you, this is wrong (and has been wrong since before the 2000s).
ZFS was built on the assumption that disks cannot be trusted, and that every interaction needs to be verified in some way, both for the data, the metadata, and in the way that the data itself is structured on-disk (so that it effectively forms a tree that can verify itself from the bottom up) - and provided you don't try and do something exceptionally dumb (which some people do try to, and them incorrectly blame ZFS when it messes up), it's done a pretty good job of keeping all sorts of data; anything from peoples private data up to and including production data on some of the worlds biggest supercomputers has been stored on it over the past almost-20-years.

Other more modern filesystems like BTRFS, XFS, and similar also offer some level of verifications - although not all of them have the same level of rigor, as for example XFS only checksums metadata, and BTRFS unfortunately has a long history of being quite cavalier with its promises and then quietly reneging on them only after it's been proven to cause corruption.
MergerFS sounds to me like someone's idea of the best way to lose data the quickest, because it's basically a way to concatenate across multiple different machines, without any availability built-in as you might find in a clustering filesystem and it relies on whatever availability (or lack thereof) is provided by the individual machines' filesystem.

Thanks for the comprehensible and informative post. You've just about convinced me to go with zfs on truenas core and just kinda learn as I go. With 6x14TB in RAIDZ2 I'll get a bit over 64 TB of usable space according to an online calculator, which is enough to at least kick the expandability question a few years down the road. And since easier expandability for zfs is in active development, it may be solved issue by the time I face it.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Unsure if anyone has posted about this ITT already but B&H Photo has a deal starting on the 25th on the Synology D220+ and DS920+ for $240 and $440 respectively.

I'm planning on picking up the DS920+ but just wanted to confirm with the thread before buying...

Aside from the 2 drives would 2 extra gigs of ram and 2 extra cores really make that big of a difference for video streaming and homebackups?

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal

CerealKilla420 posted:

Unsure if anyone has posted about this ITT already but B&H Photo has a deal starting on the 25th on the Synology D220+ and DS920+ for $240 and $440 respectively.

I'm planning on picking up the DS920+ but just wanted to confirm with the thread before buying...

Aside from the 2 drives would 2 extra gigs of ram and 2 extra cores really make that big of a difference for video streaming and homebackups?

Extra two bays are huge in terms of expansion capability, you could start with two drives and then expand later. Can't do that with a two drive system without taking out disks and replacing them with larger models and expanding. The extra RAM is just helpful in terms of number of applications you want to run on the NAS. It's also a good price for the 920+.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Nulldevice posted:

Extra two bays are huge in terms of expansion capability, you could start with two drives and then expand later. Can't do that with a two drive system without taking out disks and replacing them with larger models and expanding. The extra RAM is just helpful in terms of number of applications you want to run on the NAS. It's also a good price for the 920+.

Ok that's what I was thinking...

I don't really plan to run much on the box itself, but I want the thing to last me at least 5 years...

I'll just get the 920+ - I feel like it's not worth cheaping out on this stuff - I have two 14tb drives and 2 older 2tb sata drives so I guess I'll just upgrade the older/smaller drives if I need more storage down the line. It's going to take me a at least a year at the rate I'm hoarding data to fill up the second 14tb drive.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

priznat posted:

So annoying my old gpu is a gtx970. It does encode quickly but quality is ehhh without the nvenc stuff. Probably will pull it out of my unraid box again because the fans are the noisiest thing in the case.

confused. how would you encode on a 970 if it wasn't nvenc? are you talking about Intel dedicated encoding or software encoding?

about the fans thing, there's a big reason my server is in the basement and that is one of the them. the other is cooling no matter the year .

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

EVIL Gibson posted:

confused. how would you encode on a 970 if it wasn't nvenc? are you talking about Intel dedicated encoding or software encoding?

about the fans thing, there's a big reason my server is in the basement and that is one of the them. the other is cooling no matter the year .

I thought nvenc only came out with the 2xxx cards?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

nvenc has been around for quite a while, here's a good chart https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-and-decode-gpu-support-matrix-new

your 970 will handle h.264 stuff, but h.265 hevc is gonna be a no go

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

nvenc has been around for quite a while, here's a good chart https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-and-decode-gpu-support-matrix-new

your 970 will handle h.264 stuff, but h.265 hevc is gonna be a no go

Sorry! I'm confused with something else then. Did HEVC come with the 2xxx?

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
do the larger synologys ever wind up with black friday deals? I'm looking to expand from my old RS815 to either a DS1821+ or a RS1221+ (if I want to pay a premium for form factor and less functionality :rolleyes:), but looking at prior years it looks very rare for more than 4 bay models to get deals....

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

For anyone wondering about nvenc compatibility, here's a cheatsheet.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Oh yeah I meant H.265 capable nvenc for the 970. Debating if it is worth the power to leave the 970 in there on the unraid, is there anything else it could be useful for?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

CerealKilla420 posted:

Do you have a link for this? Looking at b&h I'm not seeing it on sale. I have a DS219+ that I'm looking to upgrade. I've run out of space rocking 2x14tb drives.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

deong posted:

Do you have a link for this? Looking at b&h I'm not seeing it on sale. I have a DS219+ that I'm looking to upgrade. I've run out of space rocking 2x14tb drives.

https://slickdeals.net/f/15413920-starts-11-25-12am-et-synology-at-b-h-ds220-240-ds920-440-free-s-h

Sale starts 11/25 at midnight

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Welp my dec-2014 purchased and a few years ago rma'd (Intel atom bug) DS1815+ croaked. Yesterday it simply was not on and would not turn on. I assume the psu is gone but who knows.

Ordered a DS1821+ from B&H which was the cheapest and fastest. Ordered yesterday evening pacific time and it should arrive Wednesday.

Has anyone done a system upgrade like this? Is it as simple as transplanting the disks and powering it up? I have a multi-disk shr2 w/ 1 disk read cache (sata, uses a slot) formatted ext4. That's all it was for the rma but this is a whole new system with a different cpu. (atom to ryzen)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yup, just move the disks and you should be good to go.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

TraderStav posted:

Got 4 of these and shucked them, thanks for the heads up. None of them needed the 3.3v pin mod which was a nice surprise, all of my old EasyStores did. unRAID is chugging away with the rebuilds now.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

The Gunslinger posted:

Got 4 of these and shucked them, thanks for the heads up. None of them needed the 3.3v pin mod which was a nice surprise, all of my old EasyStores did. unRAID is chugging away with the rebuilds now.

I bought one two days ago and still haven't taken mine out of the box/stress tested it.

I read that most people are getting this WD140EDGZ SMR drive.

Is that what you got in yours? I'm just curious because I heard that the EasyStores used to have WD Red branded drives in them before switching to something cheaper, but then I hear that they're basically just shipping white labeled WD Red drives out now. Is there any difference?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
https://event.synology.com/en-us/annual_event
Synology is doing a road map event Dec 2. I wonder if they're going to update the DS9xx with the black friday sale clearing stock? I'd rather pay more and get the better model but if they don't do an upgrade it'll suck to miss the sale. hell.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

Yup, just move the disks and you should be good to go.

:toot: thanks. I'll double verify with their kbase but it's nice to hear real world experience.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

deong posted:

https://event.synology.com/en-us/annual_event
Synology is doing a road map event Dec 2. I wonder if they're going to update the DS9xx with the black friday sale clearing stock? I'd rather pay more and get the better model but if they don't do an upgrade it'll suck to miss the sale. hell.

I'm gonna jump on the sale as well... For what I plan on using it for (backing up my data hoarder setup and streaming to my living room TV setup), I don't think it's going to make a huge difference.

I would imagine if you are doing more high intensity stuff though that a processor refresh would make a big difference? Maybe? Tbh I'm not really sure what kind of programs people run on NAS setups. I know you can run stuff in docker but I don't know what people actually run if you know what I mean.

edit: can someone tell me what they use docker for on their NAS I'm really curious now.

CerealKilla420 fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

CerealKilla420 posted:

I bought one two days ago and still haven't taken mine out of the box/stress tested it.

I read that most people are getting this WD140EDGZ SMR drive.

Is that what you got in yours? I'm just curious because I heard that the EasyStores used to have WD Red branded drives in them before switching to something cheaper, but then I hear that they're basically just shipping white labeled WD Red drives out now. Is there any difference?

unRAID lists them all as WDC_WD140EDGZ drives. They're helium filled 7200rpm CMR drives. Totally fine for consumer use.