Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Monster ultra zero owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Gross

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I was sad that drinking all five cans in the rest room didn’t turn your pee green and give you an upgraded piss grenade.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

moosecow333 posted:

I was sad that drinking all five cans in the rest room didn’t turn your pee green and give you an upgraded piss grenade.

There is a way to get one, if you take tons of damage and really run your stamina dry and then use the Private Room you get #1+ grenades which are a combo of blood grenades that kill BTs and the pee grenades that make them flee. Sadly you can't kill a bunch of Monsters and then get a kidney stone to achieve the same effect

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I knew there'd be some dated stuff going into Yakuza 3 after the 1&2 remakes, but one particularly odd design flaw is that the minimap has an option to rotate relative to the player like the other games, but somehow it doesn't have a North indicator, which makes it functionally useless to me. It's a poor design choice from the start, but doubly so since this is the remastered edition.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Veotax posted:

Pretty sure the game was never $60 too. It's intentionally a smaller game and not a full sequel. I think it launched at $40 and if you payed $60/$70 you also got the PS5 remaster of the first Spider-Man

Can only speak for UK pricing but the non-bundle version launched at a higher price than Spiderman PS4 did here, the 30% off sale means that it now only costs slightly more than I paid day 1 for Spiderman and IDK WTF is going on with Sony UK and their pricing decisions.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

ookiimarukochan posted:

Can only speak for UK pricing but the non-bundle version launched at a higher price than Spiderman PS4 did here, the 30% off sale means that it now only costs slightly more than I paid day 1 for Spiderman and IDK WTF is going on with Sony UK and their pricing decisions.

I think it's called a captive market.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

For Metroid Dread: The fight against Raven Beak. His first phase requires performing 3 melee counters. The first one is easy enough, just get his shield to red. The second two are completely random when he does them, so if you're unlucky, he could just say "gently caress it" and do his screen-covering attack and 3 swipes attack over and over again. His second form isn't too bad once you figure out his moves, but his rapid-fire laser is hard to avoid and he takes a ton of missiles to bring down with no chance to recover missiles or health in the second phase. The third phase is just a ton of hard hitting, hard to avoid attacks. No I still haven't beaten him, why do you ask?

Also, that while the game gives you progressively stronger weapons and armor, it's also constantly throwing new enemy variants at you, so it feels less like I'm getting stronger and more like I'm just treading water power-wise.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
When that boss does the attack that makes a sun come out and pulse attacks, just use a powerbomb to nuke it.

Specifically, start charging the powerbomb when you see the boss starting to charge.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Playing Mass Effect 1 with the new edition, for the second time since pretty much when it first came out when back when. ME2 is one of my favorite games ever but for whatever reason I only played ME1 once.

I have been playing PC RPGs for about as long as I can remember in my life and I have surely done thousands of boring fetch/deliver sidequests in my time. Out of all of that, there are few areas I remember enjoying less than going to the Citadel after Eden Prime at the beginning of ME1. Loads of exposition and some of it is terrible, incredibly lame fetch/deliver sidequests, and far too running back and forth around a pretty uninteresting environment. I did think seriously for a moment about asking for a Steam refund while I still could. I know it gets better and this section is short, but jeez, this made Neverwinter Nights 2 look good.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

gohuskies posted:

Playing Mass Effect 1 with the new edition, for the second time since pretty much when it first came out when back when. ME2 is one of my favorite games ever but for whatever reason I only played ME1 once.

I have been playing PC RPGs for about as long as I can remember in my life and I have surely done thousands of boring fetch/deliver sidequests in my time. Out of all of that, there are few areas I remember enjoying less than going to the Citadel after Eden Prime at the beginning of ME1. Loads of exposition and some of it is terrible, incredibly lame fetch/deliver sidequests, and far too running back and forth around a pretty uninteresting environment. I did think seriously for a moment about asking for a Steam refund while I still could. I know it gets better and this section is short, but jeez, this made Neverwinter Nights 2 look good.

ok lets not start talking crazy here

christmas boots posted:

Andromeda is better than Mass Effect 1 because the former does not have Nodacrux.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Morpheus posted:

When that boss does the attack that makes a sun come out and pulse attacks, just use a powerbomb to nuke it.

Specifically, start charging the powerbomb when you see the boss starting to charge.

I'll be sure to try that next time I get to the third phase. Just a shame that his first form is RNG-dependant and his second form has no way to recover health and my survival depends on exactly how many times he decides to spam his rapid-fire laser (yes I know it's avoidable, I just usually get hit by it because I'm bad at playing video games apparently). All of his other attacks are not that bad to avoid, but if you make a mistake and get hit, it really punishes you for it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Thing that's annoying me about Guardians of the Galaxy is how buggy it can be.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Captain Hygiene posted:

I knew there'd be some dated stuff going into Yakuza 3 after the 1&2 remakes, but one particularly odd design flaw is that the minimap has an option to rotate relative to the player like the other games, but somehow it doesn't have a North indicator, which makes it functionally useless to me. It's a poor design choice from the start, but doubly so since this is the remastered edition.

I've never liked the rotating mini map feature in games. I find it to be way more confusing than helpful, even with a North indicator. Much prefer maps that always have North at the top and provide an arrow for player facing.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I don't think I should post the game I have in mind because it's such a massive spoiler.

I'm so done with noble sacrifices or the villain getting killed. You keep them around and keep them in the story and make them answer for their crimes, it's way more interesting than having them die and the chaos they caused still being a mess you have to deal with afterwards. Plus it's way more interesting to the story.

Edit: Completely unrelated to the above

It bugs me that the Yakuza series had such a rough early start. It would've been nice if Ryuji and Sayama had stayed as reoccurring characters.

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 08:54 on Nov 23, 2021

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Perestroika posted:

The new Pathfinder game is way too drat fond of putting random enemy patrols every-loving-where. I'm not even through the first act and I'm already kinda getting sick of crushing random pointless groups of cultists. Right now I'm in the middle of what should be a cinematic assault against a demon-held fortress, but in practice it's a drawn-out slog because every single hallway and closet contains a couple of cultists or demons. Killing them is completely trivial and uninteresting, it's just a waste of time.

It's doubly weird/funny because it hews so closely to the tabletop game, and one of the most basic and commonly repeated mantras for running good tabletop sessions is "don't throw pointless combat encounters at your players when they don't serve any purpose".

I really enjoyed the game, and I’ve played “through” it twice now, but each time I just stopped somewhere round the end of act 3/start of act 4, because it just drags on forever and I simply couldn’t be bothered anymore. They could have literally cut half the battles in the game and nothing of value would have been lost and I’d maybe have managed to reach the end.

That said, Act 4 has one of the most obnoxiously designed RPG cities I’ve encountered in 30 years of gaming, so then again, maybe not!

It is literally a city in hell, so at least it’s thematically appropriate, but whoever thought a huge city full of fetch quests should have moving walls that slowly move as you rotate the camera should be fired into the sun :mad:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

RareAcumen posted:

I don't think I should post the game I have in mind because it's such a massive spoiler.

I'm so done with noble sacrifices or the villain getting killed. You keep them around and keep them in the story and make them answer for their crimes, it's way more interesting than having them die and the chaos they caused still being a mess you have to deal with afterwards. Plus it's way more interesting to the story.

It bugs me that the Yakuza series had such a rough early start. It would've been nice if Ryuji and Sayama had stayed as reoccurring characters.

Ryuji does recur...

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

I found the trick to wavedashing was to conciously wait a tick between landing on the ground and jumping again. Don't try to get the timing dead-on because you'll jump again before your dash restores. It's more forgiving about a delay than you think it is.

Yo, thanks for this! I finally got the timing right and I was indeed trying to do it too quickly. It's not hard at all now and I'm a couple of screens further.

Also finished The Summit C side! Only took a little over 1500 deaths lol

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

RareAcumen posted:

Dragon Quest 11 has a neat take on that with Hendrick After he spends the whole game being manipulated by the villain until eventually due to his stupidity the world is destroyed, the second half of the game begins with him doing everything he can to save people in the apocalypse, making a name for himself as an actual hero, and then he spends the rest of the game making it up to the main character and his party by joining their quest to fix everything and kill the baddie

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gort posted:

Ryuji does recur...

For Yakuza, I just mean that I'm pretty sure the team never had any idea the games were going to be successful enough for a sequel so basically every new game has a completely segmented cast from the last one aside from Date, Daigo and Majima.

BioEnchanted posted:

Dragon Quest 11 has a neat take on that with Hendrick After he spends the whole game being manipulated by the villain until eventually due to his stupidity the world is destroyed, the second half of the game begins with him doing everything he can to save people in the apocalypse, making a name for himself as an actual hero, and then he spends the rest of the game making it up to the main character and his party by joining their quest to fix everything and kill the baddie

Oh trust me, I know all about DQ11. I beat that game like three times.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

RareAcumen posted:

I took this approach in Dragon Age and it was totally worth it.

Doctor Spaceman has a new favorite as of 00:13 on Nov 23, 2021

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I really liked how Blue Dragon dealt with the idea of the villain damaging the world - he didn't. The world may have been sawn in two but that was the state it was supposed to be in, he restored it to the way it was when his people ran things. After he dies the world stays like that, and everyone just moves to the inside of the world, ending up living like the ancients did and rediscovering magic powers that had long since been dormant without the world being "awake"

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I took this approach in Dragon Age and it was been totally worth it.

If a game gives me an option that results in more voice acting from Simon Templeman, I will pick that option every time without hesitation.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

Hendrick’s arc is one of my favorite little things in DQ11 in general. He just starts off as a kinda boring henchman of the bad guy that maybe wasn’t always bad and just gradually becomes a bro in an unexpected way. I think I just expected him to be a temp party member even after initially recruiting him but it’s super cool that one of the only time the Luminary shows any emotion is the handshake after Hendricks apologizes for being a dick.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

BioEnchanted posted:

I really liked how Blue Dragon dealt with the idea of the villain damaging the world - he didn't. The world may have been sawn in two but that was the state it was supposed to be in, he restored it to the way it was when his people ran things. After he dies the world stays like that, and everyone just moves to the inside of the world, ending up living like the ancients did and rediscovering magic powers that had long since been dormant without the world being "awake"

I went with lost odyssey as my 360 jrpg, never got around to playing blue dragon

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

RareAcumen posted:

It really is tiresome that in basically everything (games, movies, TV) as soon as someone has a heel-face turn you know they're dead. No one wants to write the difficult redemption stuff, or have a character that you now are supposed to like punished for what they did beyond a moment of self sacrifice.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

That's because people constantly read that kind of arc wrong. So many people complained about the Diamonds in Steven Universe being too easily redeemed when it wasn't a redemption - they weren't suddenly good after millenia of wiping out worlds for resources, initially their reasons for changing were entirely selfish as they only did it so that Steven wouldn't cut contact with them due to him being the only remaining vestige of their dead sister. After that point it took them years until they finally internalised why the changes were necessary and realised that they themselves were actually happier with the new status quo. And even then the whole point of the show is that that isn't an end point - they are going to keep working for the rest of their lives to make up for their mistakes.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

BioEnchanted posted:

That's because people constantly read that kind of arc wrong. So many people complained about the Diamonds in Steven Universe being too easily redeemed when it wasn't a redemption - they weren't suddenly good after millenia of wiping out worlds for resources, initially their reasons for changing were entirely selfish as they only did it so that Steven wouldn't cut contact with them due to him being the only remaining vestige of their dead sister. After that point it took them years until they finally internalised why the changes were necessary and realised that they themselves were actually happier with the new status quo. And even then the whole point of the show is that that isn't an end point - they are going to keep working for the rest of their lives to make up for their mistakes.

See that sounds like a good way of doing it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

See that sounds like a good way of doing it.

That's exactly my point - there were people who misread it as a straightforward redemption arc and so missed the point. That's probably why villains get killed off so often, it's just easier. Steven Universe had a pretty toxic anti-fanbase too, like youtuber Lily Orchard basically implying that Rebecca Sugar was a fascist for handling things the way she did.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
It's also just easier if your villain has gone so far that redemption really isn't on the table anymore.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The issue I have with a lot of redemption arcs/villain sympathy plays is that a lot of them kind of ask you to consider the culprit as more worthy of respect than the victims, because very rarely do said victims get similar attention. I get that a lot of them are going for the end ideal of forgiveness, but... uhh, forgiveness doesn't fix murder, guys.

Which I bet is a big part of why you get those quickly followed by death in a lot of stories. That way you get the tragic end of Darth Vader and his closing moments with Luke Skywalker, but then you can move on and/or finish the story before conversation can get to 'yeah, but he still blew up Alderaan'.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Best redemption arc is Zuko in the last Airbender. He shows up all "hi gang, I'm good now! Let me help" and they all tell him to gently caress off cos he burned down their village 3 seasons earlier

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Video games have taught me that if you beat the poo poo out of someone enough times, they'll eventually see the error of their ways and join the good guys before the end.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I loved the ending of Yakuza 7 because the villain is such a huge piece of poo poo that the hero first tries knocking sense into him, then the hero pleads with him not to commit suicide. The moment the villain decides to turn himself in for his crimes he gets fatally stabbed by his sycophant minion, who is basically a Japanese Ben Shapiro. Regardless if the villain wished to atone his actions he still had a lot of poo poo to answer for.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Which I bet is a big part of why you get those quickly followed by death in a lot of stories. That way you get the tragic end of Darth Vader and his closing moments with Luke Skywalker, but then you can move on and/or finish the story before conversation can get to 'yeah, but he still blew up Alderaan'.

"Actually, it was Tarkin who gave the order to destroy Alderaan."
:goonsay:

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Ichiban's English VO did a hell of a job in that ending, too.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Just go the Loki route and repeatedly heel-face turn, die, and start over

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I am generally anti-character death because it's often used in lazy, stupid ways but City of Heroes used both extremes - kill off people for dubious reasons, redeem villains in questionable ways - that my overall take is:

1) Pick the right character.
2) Do it at the right time.
3) Fully commit to it and earn it.

City of Heroes hosed up all three of these in various ways and it always pissed me off. Bare minimum, good loving luck convincing me that mega turbo space Hitler deserves anything other than the Bionic Commando treatment.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Cleretic posted:

The issue I have with a lot of redemption arcs/villain sympathy plays is that a lot of them kind of ask you to consider the culprit as more worthy of respect than the victims, because very rarely do said victims get similar attention. I get that a lot of them are going for the end ideal of forgiveness, but... uhh, forgiveness doesn't fix murder, guys.

Story placement is part of it too, I think. If you redeem Vader in the middle of the story* then you have time to explore that and potentially have him grapple with the question of what redemption could possibly look like with so much blood already on his hands. But when it happens at the end of the story you don't have time to really have that conversation about Alderaan without bringing the rest of a story to a screeching halt and ruining the pacing.

*Which you don't because it's the climax of Luke's development as a hero so it has to happen near the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Uncharted 4's Rafe is great for this reason because at the end of all things he genuinely considers not burning to death in a pirate ship next to Nathan Drake, and then decides to fully commit and continue to try and kill you, but I really liked that they showed the decision as he makes it. At that point in the story for many reasons he could very well have finally given up at that point, or decided he'd come too far to quit and not, both made sense.

Edit: Not a matter of redemption so much as asking himself if he even gives a poo poo anymore, cuz it's not like you have to stab Nathan Drake with a pirate sword personally to kill him. But he figures that Drake has made it personal by platforming all over his entire (Nadine's entire) brigade and one upping his treasure hunting over and over, and that is a much better approach than WERE THE SAME U AND I DRAAAAKEEE from uncharted 2

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 20:29 on Nov 23, 2021