Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

zoux posted:

Regarding Jayce's origin: So, he and his mom are dying in a blizzard and a mage shows up for some reason and teleports them to Runeterra (or were they on a different part of Runeterra?) and then they start a very successful hammer factory? Is that right?

The timeline's still kinda wonky, but I believe House Talis was already established as successful toolsmiths when Jayce was young. Piltover's situated next to a big ol' mountain range to the north (the Great Barrier), so him and his mom traveling for business and getting caught out in a massive blizzard wouldn't be unusual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Also iirc Runeterra is just the whole planet, it almost literally means "magic Earth" anyways lol

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
After finishing up, the show wasn't perfect. But it drat well came as close as possible.

Absolutely stellar, the art, music, voice acting, story, characters, villains... as a standalone piece of fiction, it's probably my favorite one of the last ten years.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Xad posted:

Also iirc Runeterra is just the whole planet, it almost literally means "magic Earth" anyways lol

Yeah, I don't know why I thought it was an alternative dimension, I guess I had it in my head that the plot was gonna be rounding up a whole bunch of people from various dimensions to make them fight in some sort of league....of legends.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vermain posted:

The timeline's still kinda wonky, but I believe House Talis was already established as successful toolsmiths when Jayce was young. Piltover's situated next to a big ol' mountain range to the north (the Great Barrier), so him and his mom traveling for business and getting caught out in a massive blizzard wouldn't be unusual.

Is that the Frejlord or is that further north?

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

zoux posted:

Yeah, I don't know why I thought it was an alternative dimension, I guess I had it in my head that the plot was gonna be rounding up a whole bunch of people from various dimensions to make them fight in some sort of league....of legends.

Oh ha, the actual League has been non-canon for a while now. Originally the players were "summoners" who would summon a champion and it was basically like, mock battles to solve disputes instead of having a war or something?

And every character had some weird reason for joining, but then they redid all the lore (that was pretty bad tbh so not a huge loss) and just made the actual video game non-canon to everything

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Xad posted:

Yeah, Runeterra's the actual planet. The primary setting is on the continent of Valoran, which is divided America-style into a north and south part. Piltover lies on what's effectively the Panama Canal between them, which is a huge part of where its wealth comes from, since it charges exorbitant shipping rates and military transport fees for Noxian ships traveling to and from their colonies.

zoux posted:

You're probably thinking of the old lore, which actually did have this as an explanation for quite a few champions like Kayle, Morgana, Taric, and Fiddlesticks. They did away with that during the lore revamp, though, and the only interdimensional travelers nowadays are things from the Void.

Dawgstar posted:

Is that the Frejlord or is that further north?

Further north. Piltover's immediate neighbor to the north is Noxus, but the city's on the tip of an isthmus that's heavily fortified by mountains, which makes invading it by land close to impossible. You can check out the regional map here if you're curious about the specifics.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

zoux posted:

The Wild Rift trailer, if you didn't know what a Runeterra even was, is presented like Jinx is hopping around different dimensions to collect her group. I certainly didn't realize all the characters basically existed at once until pretty recently.

Vermain posted:

You're probably thinking of the old lore, which actually did have this as an explanation for quite a few champions like Kayle, Morgana, Taric, and Fiddlesticks. They did away with that during the lore revamp, though, and the only interdimensional travelers nowadays are things from the Void.

Fiddlesticks is like, a demon possessing a scarcrow right? Him, Evelyn, Tahm Kench and a few others I assume sort of count as coming from another dimension in that regard

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 22, 2021

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

The Wilf Rift trailer is Jinx going to various runeterra locations via rift warping to pull the other champs onto the titular rift. The battlefield in LOL is called Summoner's Rift. Because the environments are so varied its easy to think they are different dimensions, but she is basically just going around the globe.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Macaluso posted:

The Wild Rift trailer, if you didn't know what a Runeterra even was, is presented like Jinx is hopping around different dimensions to collect her group. I certainly didn't realize all the characters basically existed at once until pretty recently.

Fiddlesticks is like, a demon possessing a scarcrow right? Him, Evelyn, Tahm Kench and a few others I assume sort of count as coming from another dimension in that regard

there's actual Void uh, things, like Cho'gath, Kog'maw, Rek'sai, Vel'koz, and Kha'zix, which are sort of all like weird space monsters. There's Kassadin, whose daughter (Kai'sa) got trapped in the void for a while and he tried to get her out, Malzahar is trying to open the portal to the Void more because uhhh reasons, he and Kassadin both use weird Void magics

Fiddlesticks iirc is like a Fear elemental more or less. Not to be confused with Nocturne who is like a Nightmare elemental or something

Xad fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 23, 2021

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I have a lot of thoughts and feelings about Silco’s character and how well done he is overall. Despite all the poo poo he’s done to people, he’s a tragic figure that is trying to save his people the only way he knows how. He’s the revolutionary that slips further and further into the dark as he watches his people be destroyed.

Though he’s presented as a more heroic figure, Vander set all of this in motion. He led the failed revolution which killed the kids parents. He tried to kill Silco for reasons that aren’t fully explained other than ending the revolution. He bowed down to the oppression of the Enforcers and only fought back when it was his family at stake. It’s implied that he turned people in to the enforcers in the past to maintain the peace. Yes, he may have had some logical reasons for all those decisions but he’s far from a good guy. He created and bred the hopelessness and complacency of the Zaunites.

I think that’s my favorite part about the show other than the animation. All the characters are believably flawed and shaped by their past.

The only character that lacks dimensionality and wasn’t treated fairly is Sky. There were a lot of interesting potential paths they laid out for her but she was ultimately fridged for Viktor story. I thought they were hinting at her being a firelight since she was from the undercity, looked very similar to a member of Ecko’s gang (who did not appear any more after the fridging) who recognized the orb, and that would have made a very interesting divided loyalties story for Viktor. Probably would have gone well with Heimerdinger coming over to the Firelights too. I get the decision to kill her for Viktor’s story and give it some weight. I think the same thing could have been accomplished differently though.

It’s a lot like the fridging that happens in the first episode of WoT. Yes, it does add more weight to a characters story but it’s a really lovely way to do it.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 23, 2021

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Xad posted:

there's actual Void uh, things, like Cho'gath, Kog'maw, Rek'sai, Vel'koz, and Kha'zix, which are sort of all like weird space monsters. There's Kassadin, whose daughter (Kai'sa) got trapped in the void for a while and he tried to get her out, Malzahar is trying to open the portal to the Void more because uhhh reasons, he and Kassadin both use weird Void magics

Fiddlesticks iirc is like a Fear elemental more or less. Not to be confused with Nocturne who is like a Nightmare elemental or something

Fiddlesticks is one of the 10 primal demons, demons being magical beings who feed on emotions. In Fiddlesticks case this emotion is Fear.

You could consider Nocturne kind of like a descendent of Fiddlesticks in this way, as Nocturne feeds on a single form of fear, Nightmares.

Tahm and Evelynn are also lesser demons, Tahm feeds on Addiction, Evelynn feeds on Agony.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Lawlicaust posted:

I have a lot of thoughts and feelings about Silco’s character and how well done he is overall. Despite all the poo poo he’s done to people, he’s a tragic figure that is trying to save his people the only way he knows how. He’s the revolutionary that slips further and further into the dark as he watches his people be destroyed.

Though he’s presented as a more heroic figure, Vander set all of this in motion. He led the failed revolution which killed the kids parents. He tried to kill Silco for reasons that aren’t fully explained other than ending the revolution. He bowed down to the oppression of the Enforcers and only fought back when it was his family at stake. It’s implied that he turned people in to the enforcers in the past to maintain the peace. Yes, he may have had some logical reasons for all those decisions but he’s far from a good guy. He created and bred the hopelessness and complacency of the Zaunites.

I think that’s my favorite part about the show other than the animation. All the characters are believably flawed and shaped by their past.

The only character that lacks dimensionality and wasn’t treated fairly is Sky. There were a lot of interesting potential paths they laid out for her but she was ultimately fridged for Viktor story. I thought they were hinting at her being a firelight since she was from the undercity, looked very similar to a member of Ecko’s gang (who did not appear any more after the fridging) who recognized the orb, and that would have made a very interesting divided loyalties story for Viktor. Probably would have gone well with Heimerdinger coming over to the Firelights too. I get the decision to kill her for Viktor’s story and give it some weight. I think the same thing could have been accomplished differently though.

It’s a lot like the fridging that happens in the first episode of WoT. Yes, it does add more weight to a characters story but it’s a really lovely way to do it.

I think I agree re: Sky, she only has like, two scenes. One introducing her as "person who likes Viktor" and then her walking to Viktor to...give him some research on as far as I could tell, something she was researching about his condition? maybe? But then she immediately evaporates. And that's all we get of her. (also you might want to spoiler that)

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

https://twitter.com/artizan00/status/1462699996122288137

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Vermain posted:

I know zero about LoL and the assorted lore before Arcane, while watching the first episode I was just assuming that the bad video game tie-in cartoon (I mean, surely this is going to suck right) would try to tie in the gameplay elements, I didn't know about Riot's plan to expand the lore across multiple games. I didn't even know that there was a shared world with its own name.

zoux fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 23, 2021

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Xad posted:

I think I agree re: Sky, she only has like, two scenes. One introducing her as "person who likes Viktor" and then her walking to Viktor to...give him some research on as far as I could tell, something she was researching about his condition? maybe? But then she immediately evaporates. And that's all we get of her. (also you might want to spoiler that)

She was trying to come up with a innocent-sounding reason to get him back to her place. Sky has presumably also spent a lot of time in a hot shower thinking about her Very Good Friend Viktor.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I feel like there's no way (re: Sky) that she actually just got vaporized. I feel like she must have gotten sent to the void or something, we know people have gotten tossed there by magic before, right?

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sky is a season 2 breadcrumb:

Blitzcrank is built by viktor and according to an old riot post was a woman close to Viktor but that lore was on the OLD LEAGUE OF LEGENDS boards which got deleted! so I imagine that might be brought up

Danger Diabolik
Feb 9, 2014

zoux posted:

I know zero about LoL and the assorted lore before Arcane, while watching the first episode I was just assuming that the bad video game tie-in cartoon (I mean, surely this is going to suck right) would try to tie in the gameplay elements, I didn't know about Riot's plan to expand the lore across multiple games. I didn't even know that there was a shared world with its own name.

In an interview, the producers talked about how they tried to make the characters' stories feel like they play in the game (Vi rushes in without thinking, Jinx gets out of control the longer things go on) which seems like an absurd way to write a story, but I guess it worked out well enough

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Is the sheep and wolf ghost pair from this game? What's their deal and are they in the new canon? I remember thinking their trailer or reveal was creepy as hell.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

bagrada posted:

Is the sheep and wolf ghost pair from this game? What's their deal and are they in the new canon? I remember thinking their trailer or reveal was creepy as hell.

Yeah everything got moved to the "new" lore when the big rewrite happened, there's character backstories and stuff on this site, here's Kindred, the one you were talking about : https://universe.leagueoflegends.com/en_US/story/champion/kindred/

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

bagrada posted:

Yeah you're thinking of Kindred! They're basically the universe's grim reaper (with the lamb putting down people who go peacefully with a quick arrow and wolf chasing down people who resist) and it's left ambiguous whether they're an actual entity in the universe or just a folk story like the grim reaper. they definitely have one of the coolest aesthetics in the whole game imo

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Legends of Runeterra seems to confirm (or 'confirm in the context of Legends of Runeterra', at least) that A) the Kindred are quite real, but B) they're only one of many grim reapers/death gods/psychopomps, not THE embodiment of death or whatever.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Yeah, just a cool themed psychopomp.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

They even get a little Easter egg in Arcane. The first two people you see in the brothel are wearing Lamb and Wolf's masks.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I've run into the 'Silco is a good dad' people now and it's as weird as you all warned me. It's flashbacks to Thanos in the MCU. (You can love somebody and still be a bad parent. I've seen it happen.)

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Vermain posted:

They even get a little Easter egg in Arcane. The first two people you see in the brothel are wearing Lamb and Wolf's masks.

That's awesome, I'm seeing more and more of that stuff woven into the show.

My PvP buddy and I almost started LoL after overwatch into smite years ago. The game didn't grab us then so it's nice to see they decided to go wide with their setting and characters.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

bagrada posted:

As others have said that's Kindred, the Lamb (gentle death) and Wolf (violent death). However their actual mythical backstory is in of itself neat. They have a little story they tell eachother of the grey man who was so very lonely, never to have a friend. So one day he took his axe and split himself down the middle so he'd always have a partner, always have a friend.

The implication of course being that the original grim reaper of Runeterra split himself into Lamb and Wolf, which fits more than you'd expect. Lamb has sympathy but no empathy, she routinely comments she doesn't understand the emotions of the people they take but cares about them all the same. Wolf in turn has empathy but no sympathy, he understands that people can be afraid but doesn't care one whit.

A bunch of their traits are like this, Wolf has what Lamb does not and vice-versa. It's a really unique and fun idea for a personification of death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4ufa7hik08 is the story.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Xad posted:

Yeah, that scene really bugged me too, her only character trait is "likes Viktor" and then she dies to make him sad. Kind of like the little boy in Jayce's story, really. But unlike that boy we learn just enough about her that it's clear she would have had to have an interesting story herself, after all she somehow made it from Zaun child to someone's assistant at the university, just like Viktor himself.

I don't totally exclude the possibility that they'll get back to her storyline somehow, after all a lot of act three was obvious setup for season two, but her death is a pretty shameful scene. If they had just cut the whole "tee hee, I'll present my research to Viktor and then he'll like me" monologue, which really added no info that wasn't repeated either before or after, I'd have preferred it.

That said, I did like her overall role in the story as revealing / creating some aspects of Viktor's character, but yeah, that's a fridging if I've ever seen one.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

real funny that this was my favorite show this year, probably

"But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved League of Legends."

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

pidan posted:

Yeah, that scene really bugged me too, her only character trait is "likes Viktor" and then she dies to make him sad. Kind of like the little boy in Jayce's story, really. But unlike that boy we learn just enough about her that it's clear she would have had to have an interesting story herself, after all she somehow made it from Zaun child to someone's assistant at the university, just like Viktor himself.

I don't totally exclude the possibility that they'll get back to her storyline somehow, after all a lot of act three was obvious setup for season two, but her death is a pretty shameful scene. If they had just cut the whole "tee hee, I'll present my research to Viktor and then he'll like me" monologue, which really added no info that wasn't repeated either before or after, I'd have preferred it.

That said, I did like her overall role in the story as revealing / creating some aspects of Viktor's character, but yeah, that's a fridging if I've ever seen one.

Trying to avoid spoilers here, but I wonder if it's possible that she turns out to be orianna, post events spoiled above. Like she gets a whole body constructed or something

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Trying to avoid spoilers here, but I wonder if it's possible that she turns out to be orianna, post events spoiled above. Like she gets a whole body constructed or something

I don't think so, after all she doesn't look like Orianna at all and there's already a different character that might be Orianna: Singed's daughter in the locket in the last scene looks kind of Orianna-ish and it would make sense thematically.

I think (memories of) Sky might play some role in some sort of Viktor-Firelights interaction later, and maybe be part of Viktor's motivation to become obsessed with stopping people from dying - but he already was like that for other reasons. If she actually comes back as a character that would cheapen it even more, since she already had a pretty impactful "disposal" scene.

Also there's already another "dead" character who is very likely to come back, and you can't really do too many of these before it gets stupid.

To come back to the Singed thing, I totally thought Sevika was his daughter, because there were a lot of cuts to her when he talks about his daughter. But she looks nothing like the locket, so I guess it's not her.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Look into which champions are associated with Viktor

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Who are some other champs we might see next season? Urgot, maybe? Cait and Vi DID fight him in one of the music videos.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Dawgstar posted:

Who are some other champs we might see next season? Urgot, maybe? Cait and Vi DID fight him in one of the music videos.

Urgot is from Noxus originally and was disposed to Zaun as part of Swain (Raven/Crows connection) overthrowing the previous leader. Warwick feels a given, Camille might come in, Seraphine maybe, Ezreal being missing is honestly a bit conspicuous. Dinger going into Zaun might lead to his actual Zaunite counterpart (Ziggs) showing up.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Dawgstar posted:

According to the current online buzz, there's also a chance for Orianna. Singed said he lost his daughter, and in the final scene of act 3, he's holding a locket with what seems to be a picture of her. Folks pointed out how the picture in the locket is supposedly the spitting image of Orianna, and that Riot may retcon Singed into her real father.

I don't play the game or know anything about LoL lore, so take that with a grain of borrowed salt.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lord_Magmar posted:

Urgot is from Noxus originally and was disposed to Zaun as part of Swain (Raven/Crows connection) overthrowing the previous leader. Warwick feels a given, Camille might come in, Seraphine maybe, Ezreal being missing is honestly a bit conspicuous. Dinger going into Zaun might lead to his actual Zaunite counterpart (Ziggs) showing up.

They did setup Noxus being there so Urgot isn't too far out of the realm of possibility.

Also Sky is Blitzcrank that's my lore I don't care if it's wrong I will fight people over this (i will not)

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Riot rediscovered what animated shows half a century ago were produced for, just instead of selling cheap toys and cigarettes to kids they are selling their world to people and pointing them to their games.

There is a noticeable uptick in people trying league for the first time or looking at riots new games that came out at the same time as Arcane.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

With regard to matters of the undercity, I guess it's pretty convenient for the show that it came out at a moment in time where everyone is used to recognizing and interacting with people who have their breathing parts covered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Riot rediscovered what animated shows half a century ago were produced for, just instead of selling cheap toys and cigarettes to kids they are selling their world to people and pointing them to their games.

There is a noticeable uptick in people trying league for the first time or looking at riots new games that came out at the same time as Arcane.

I hate MOBAs but I did buy Ruined King tonight on my switch, I might even play it as it seems fun, but mostly I wanted to help promote the idea that if companies do good creative work I’ll pay them for it. Arcane was a loving masterful show imo that I got for a pittance. Happy to throw a few dollars and also get what I hear is an ok RPG (turn base too!)