Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I like Book’s reconfigurable ship because I like reconfigurable ships. X-wings are cool. Voyager’s nacelles are cool. I love the Prometheus’s extremely stupid triple attack mode. Book’s ship flying part and coming back together is 1000% my thing. When it turned itself into a spear to ram into another ship in Season 3 I lost my poo poo.

But… what does it do? Do the different configurations do different things? Do they make warp more efficient like the detached nacelles do? Why does it constantly fly apart and come back together when it’s making tricky maneuvers? I’d be happy with even just a throwaway line like “it’s too risky to switch to delta mode to get the phasers back online, we’re defenseless”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I never got the Prometheus hate

Multi vector attack mode is the obvious and quite small evolution from what EntD did in BoBW

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Facebook Aunt posted:

That would be cool. Instead Discovery has random gouts of flame on the bridge during fights.

Michael Burnham: Live In Concert

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Anyone who hates the USS Prometheus is just a weird fun-hating prude.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Facebook Aunt posted:

That would be cool. Instead Discovery has random gouts of flame on the bridge during fights.

Hey, they aren't random. They're specific flamethrowers in the walls that fire at regular intervals, which doesn't look cheap or lame at all.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

The Bloop posted:

I never got the Prometheus hate

Multi vector attack mode is the obvious and quite small evolution from what EntD did in BoBW

The Stargate ship of the same name was cooler?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

shades of eternity posted:

I was trying to remember when the Prometheus ever changed it's shape and was coming up blank

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

shades of eternity posted:

Sure and Andy Dick is a bad person, but people mock the idea

I think a deep space craft being able to have multiple warp capable carriers is good and sensible

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I've got some good news and some bad news. We finally got the rocks out of the consoles. Unfortunately it turns out the rocks were an essential part of the fire suppression system.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Facebook Aunt posted:

I've got some good news and some bad news. We finally got the rocks out of the consoles. Unfortunately it turns out the rocks were an essential part of the fire suppression system.

Fire is cooler than rocks.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I miss the rocks

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There were plenty of rocks too.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

There were plenty of rocks too.

Those were deprogrammed programmable matter

Completely different

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Or were they programmable rocks?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
There’s a bug in the replicator code that’s never been fixed since version 1.0 where if it detects any violent motion, it just auto-replicates rocks inside of consoles, which then causes the consoles to explode.

It’s one of those Bethesda style bugs where if it’s ever fixed, it causes a cascading series of subsequent errors that makes the replicator start disassembling random parts of the ship and you can’t stop it.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Let me start off by saying that I really like the Prometheus. A ship that turns into three smaller ships is a great concept and looks really cool. However, if you think about it for longer than Voyager's writers did, it quickly starts breaking down in terms of practicality.

Each part of the ship is capable of operating fully independently. They have warp drives, weapons, and presumably all of the other things ships need to function like life support and computers. Presumably, a fully-crewed Prometheus has people on all three sections so that if the main section gets knocked out then the other two can still function. There thus have to be three sickbays for sure, but also probably other essential locations such as mess halls and bunks for when the section with everyone's quarters on it gets blown up. What happens when communications are cut and the computer can't automatically coordinate the parts? Are there three bridges and thus three command crews? If so, much autonomy does each ship have in battle, with or without central coordination? Who staffs each position on each ship, and what is the chain of command?

All of these questions are easily answered by presenting the Prometheus as a squadron of three ships that dock during non-combat situations, but the writers didn't think through the concept any further than they needed to for the one episode it showed up in. This is completely fine, because it's a very cool concept, which I really like, but it's also very stupid, because it didn't need to be any smarter.

The Enterprise-D, meanwhile, is very much not two independent ships. If the drive section gets blown up the saucer just gets to hang around and hope someone rescues them.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Orange/Blue alert, all hands to movie poster stations!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
just now realizing there's something in Trek called Prometheus and y'all aren't talking about that weird aliens spinoff

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Installing Chris Jericho's AEW entrance pyro on your bridge that goes off whenever the captain walks on deck is a pretty bold choice, too bad it seems to go off randomly in emergency situations like that

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Think of the Prometheus as, in terms of what's inside, just being three defiants docked together, just with a different shape so they can be plugged together into a super-fast warp ship. With the middle one as being a bit bigger and better.

And be glad Sternbach was able to talk then down from five.

blastron posted:

The Enterprise-D, meanwhile, is very much not two independent ships. If the drive section gets blown up the saucer just gets to hang around and hope someone rescues them.

It was a huge mistake not to give the saucer a basic mini-warp drive, even if it can't go that fast.

They could've just had little blue glowies hidden under the part that docks with the neck so they're not normally visible.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 23, 2021

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Still one of the best jokes from The Orville. (audio)
https://i.imgur.com/B4L97o5.mp4

BTW Something I wanted to mention from the start of the new season... Discovery takes a massive dump when pooping out Book's ship:
https://i.imgur.com/3kz3Eo5.gifv
Like, there's almost zero room to fit that thing in the hangar the way it's scaled here. It's wild.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 23, 2021

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

DaveKap posted:

BTW Something I wanted to mention from the start of the new season... Discovery takes a massive dump when pooping out Book's ship:
Like, there's almost zero room to fit that thing in the hangar the way it's scaled here. It's wild.

The main shuttlebay on the Enterprise-D was just barely tall enough to accommodate the Millennium Falcon. I imagine Andrew Probert deciding on its final dimensions and whispering to himself: "Just in case... juuuuuust in case."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DaveKap posted:

Still one of the best jokes from The Orville. (audio)
https://i.imgur.com/B4L97o5.mp4

If they wanted to do something interesting with Book's fancy ship and keep it around as a Hero Vehicle for model kits or whatever, they could just make it dock with the hull externally and turn into a spoiler or third nacelle on the top of the docking bay or something. Keeps the shuttlebay available for Starfleet subcraft on a Starfleet ship, and still does something both functional and visually appealing because there goes Book's ship reconfiguring and doing neat shape-changing any time it launches off in a unique way.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

They could've just had little blue glowies hidden under the part that docks with the neck so they're not normally visible.

Yeah tiny shuttles have warp why not the saucer

Silly

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MikeJF posted:

Think of the Prometheus as, in terms of what's inside, just being three defiants docked together, just with a different shape so they can be plugged together into a super-fast warp ship. With the middle one as being a bit bigger and better.

Oh my god;

Prometheus was just three Defiants in trenchcoat.

The Bloop posted:

Yeah tiny shuttles have warp why not the saucer

Silly

Scalability. The warp core for a shuttle's relatively tiny, but for the Saucer you've got a whole second Engineering section eating lab and living space.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Scalability. The warp core for a shuttle's relatively tiny, but for the Saucer you've got a whole second Engineering section eating lab and living space.

I guess but it's massive and even warp 1 is SO MUCH better than impulse

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Bloop posted:

I guess but it's massive and even warp 1 is SO MUCH better than impulse

Eh, if you aren't in a solar system with a habitable planet or station it won't make much difference. At Warp 1 it will take years to get to the next system, while a Warp 7 rescue ship should arrive within a couple weeks. Better to just find a safe place to park and wait for rescue.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Facebook Aunt posted:

Eh, if you aren't in a solar system with a habitable planet or station it won't make much difference. At Warp 1 it will take years to get to the next system, while a Warp 7 rescue ship should arrive within a couple weeks. Better to just find a safe place to park and wait for rescue.

There's also a question of construction logistics; For the effort you're putting in to build a second full-size warp core and supporting hardware in a ship (at least at the time of TNG season 1-ish) that's a whole other warp-capable ship you could realistically be constructing and fielding. Having a Saucer you can "merely" detach and leave somewhere as an oversized space station/logistic base/escape pod while the other half goes off fighting is much more economical.

It's not until the Borg show up (ie; after the Galaxy-class was designed and built) that you'd find you actually don't want a big impulse-only craft full of new potential drones and Starfleet intelligence limping around a solar system with no real chance of defending itself. Anything else that's a conventional threat to a Starfleet ship (ie; Romulans, Cardassians, maybe rogue Klingons for argument's sake) aren't realistically likely to blow up a Saucer Section full of civilians on its own because that comes back on them politically.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
You just need a low level warp bubble and a shuttle can tow you at warp

Maybe, who knows lol

DS9 made a warp bubble without a warp core, right?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Bloop posted:

You just need a low level warp bubble and a shuttle can tow you at warp

Maybe, who knows lol

DS9 made a warp bubble without a warp core, right?

No, they just got their inertial dampeners online so the station wouldn't tear itself apart while moving. It was also designed for that, the station was just hosed in a dozen different ways at the time from the Cardassians gutting it on their way out.

The problem with "just make a warp bubble and tow it" is the reason you really want the Saucer towed right now probably has weapons, or is very dangerous in general, and a shuttle isn't gonna do much to survive that.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

The saucer section has it's own deflector. While not as capable as the main deflector, I'm sure Geordi and Data could whip up a reverse polarization deflection grid that could expand a shuttle's warp bubble for a tow.

I wish they had the budget for frequent separation. They could have come up with some cool B plots.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

CaptainSkinny posted:

I wish they had the budget for frequent separation. They could have come up with some cool B plots.

On the other hand, it would have also really played up the stupidity of the ship's complement of families and children.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Roadie posted:

On the other hand, it would have also really played up the stupidity of the ship's complement of families and children.

I could see it working as a setup for those episodes where the Enterprise functionally just sits over a planet the entire time anyway. Especially the ones with only partial casting. Just pop a "X, Y, Z are off in the other half of the ship on a different mission, while we're doing the mission that's the premise of this episode", Captain's Log at the start.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Roadie posted:

Again I feel the need to bring up the prospect of Murderous Sociopath Picard where, knowing full well there are families and children aboard the Enterprise, the man tries to blow up the drat ship once every couple of months.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

nine-gear crow posted:

Again I feel the need to bring up the prospect of Murderous Sociopath Picard where, knowing full well there are families and children aboard the Enterprise, the man tries to blow up the drat ship once every couple of months.

That's why Picard never played poker with the crew. He never bluffs and he's always all-in.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I'm glad they never had the budget just because the star drive looks ridiculous on it's own. Granted I don't know if it's possible to design a ship so that the saucerless part looks cool, but just the aesthetics of it are why I'm glad it's rare.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If they wanted to do something interesting with Book's fancy ship and keep it around as a Hero Vehicle for model kits or whatever, they could just make it dock with the hull externally and turn into a spoiler or third nacelle on the top of the docking bay or something. Keeps the shuttlebay available for Starfleet subcraft on a Starfleet ship, and still does something both functional and visually appealing because there goes Book's ship reconfiguring and doing neat shape-changing any time it launches off in a unique way.

The one cool thing the Star Wars sequels did (and never mentioned) was having a light cruiser secretly docked on the Resurgent class star destroyers.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I could see it working as a setup for those episodes where the Enterprise functionally just sits over a planet the entire time anyway. Especially the ones with only partial casting. Just pop a "X, Y, Z are off in the other half of the ship on a different mission, while we're doing the mission that's the premise of this episode", Captain's Log at the start.

One of the ideas that they did play with for a short time was that like a fifth of the saucer on the left and right could separate out and become their own defiant-sized ship, both to carry away civilians and maybe just to drop off somewhere doing a long-term study on something.

Image showing all disconnectable parts in that idea, including the nacelles and impulse engines being replaceable at starbases. Little rows of escape pods there too.

Eimi posted:

I'm glad they never had the budget just because the star drive looks ridiculous on it's own. Granted I don't know if it's possible to design a ship so that the saucerless part looks cool, but just the aesthetics of it are why I'm glad it's rare.

Probert laments this: he didn't learn that they wanted to have the whole saucer come off until after he'd designed it, and he did the best he could but the whole ship design had already been done and it wasn't really that possible to make it work. As it was they did the best they could but I think they still had to make the neck a bit less flowing into the hull than they were intending.

What he'd thought they'd settled on when he finalised the look was that a kind of boomerang would come off the upper front of the saucer.

The Sovvy separation concepts Eaves did don't look as silly as the galaxy, because the hull just becomes a single pointy shape.

Star Trek Online's Enterprise-F leaves a forward chunk on the neck to counterbalance the hull, it's still not great but it's better than the D.

That said, if you really want cool.

Also I'm really hoping the Cerritos has a terrible looking saucer sep.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 23, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Actually, one thing I'm really disappointed by with Discovery (one thing) is that when we did see Voyager-J fighting, it didn't do things like fly towards an enemy ship, and then the saucer and hull just smoothly diverge and fly past on either side to catch it in crossfire and reunite on the other side. Since it's already disconnected into two halves. It would've been a really cool use of that design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Also crossfires are only useful in a fire fight where cover and concealment exist. In space, there's no point to a crossfire and you want to keep hitting the same area anyway.