Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I can't find the quote now but apparently she's rolling around offering advice to the directors and showrunners, same as McKellen was doing.

Was Pike a fan of the series before being cast, or has she just thrown herself into it so much she started reading deeply?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

talking about scenes we want filmed, everyone covered a lot of them, but nobody mentioned

Zen Rand (book 13?) wrecking a whole army so that his men can leave a city, and drawing so much power all the other channelers are literally shocked.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Yeah that bit rules. Probably the only time we really see the Dragon in his full glory.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

and he remembers to bring his Maidens with him :3:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

LionArcher posted:

talking about scenes we want filmed, everyone covered a lot of them, but nobody mentioned

Zen Rand (book 13?) wrecking a whole army so that his men can leave a city, and drawing so much power all the other channelers are literally shocked.

Speaking of translation to visual medium, how do you think they'd portray this? An intense, blinding glow around him? A thick column of light compared to the threads and ropes of others? An absurd number of threads of saidin weaving their way to him?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

DarkHorse posted:

Speaking of translation to visual medium, how do you think they'd portray this? An intense, blinding glow around him? A thick column of light compared to the threads and ropes of others? An absurd number of threads of saidin weaving their way to him?

Don't show saidin, just him standing still holding his stump behind his back while the army in front of him is shredded.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

I took that scene being an extra to mean it was less likely to be a scene in the show

Who knows. The animated extra for the second episode was just the fall of Manetheren, which we got the story of in the actual episode too. I have my doubts on the Mat scene happening as it is though - who knows how they are even plotting the seasons and where Mat will be?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

uPen posted:

Don't show saidin, just him standing still holding his stump behind his back while the army in front of him is shredded.

I like this. The scene seemed to be described from a viewpoint up on the walls, so do it like that.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

https://twitter.com/brother_Buddha/status/1462881152331616259?s=20

They probably wouldn't put up a Bela page if she was mashadar'd

"General" of the Green Ajah? Not "Captain-General"? I suppose that's a natural change, but it loses something.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Outing an Ajah head to a non member, smdh

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Gnoman posted:

"General" of the Green Ajah? Not "Captain-General"? I suppose that's a natural change, but it loses something.

Yea, the word Captain.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

Outing an Ajah head to a non member, smdh

yeah it's a bit strange

oh well

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Five off the top of my head.

"I win again Lews Therin" (2)
Mat describes the strategy he would employ at the Battle of Cairhien (5)
"Asha'man...kill!" (6)
"“How do you fight someone smarter than yourself?" Rand whispered. "The anser is simple. You make her think that you are sitting down across the table from her, ready to play her game. Then you punch her in the face as hard as you can." (12)
Aviendha through the pillars (13)

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

This will be a longer post, but I think it's a great question.

First, to paint the scene, we need to talk about the show's music so far, because I think we can already see that composer Lorne Balfe is killing it.
Moiraine Sedai (the track) starts with off kilter strings (pretty sure violin) that they used as a cue for when channeling was happening. The fact that we already know it's being used when folks channel (it's used for a half a measure when Rand's trapped in the room and he slams through the door) is great. It's got a lot of range to play with it. It's very similar in that way that GOT played with the love theme from season seven. It's hinted at throughout the season, the love scene happens, and then in season 8, it's used different ways. triumphant (dragon flight) and finally, tragically. I see Lorne doing the same thing with some of themes he's played down, and that kilter strings when Rand starts to legit channel if remixed right will feel fantastic, and it's already on my list of things I'm very excited to see/hear.
And we haven't even gotten a theme yet to things like the Aiel showing up, or any number of key groups that could have fantastic themes. I trust LB and hope he composes a lot more amazing music. Just the idea of him having a theme for, "Aiel cover their face poo poo just got real" is exiting.

Now I say all that because when it comes to that scene, this is how I'd play it.
I think first we spend a lot of time with the actual men on the ground, how desperate and dirty it is. It's loving grim, but when Rand finally shows up, we already know he's different. Better. And that's halfway through the episode, it's been grim as poo poo to this point, but he shows, and things feel better. Hopeful? And I want the male channelers that show up to be actors we've already seen legit wreck poo poo. Some of the best of the best. (I forget which of Rand's Asha'man are in that scene, but I think they're pretty legit). Having them there, with Rand, and you think, "okay they can flee." But then the army shows up, and it's super hosed.

And this is the first time I believe we see Rand healthy but also heavily channeling right? So I think before this point, when he was going full dark mode, you have the off kilter channeling music already played out. Instead, the maidens theme plays --- And Zen Rand, who we've only ever seen channeling because he's been running on some level, or overall hard, or insane, who's got that drip, that IT factor, who we know from the actor can loving kill all that depth -- he says "no."

It's not anger, it's just no.

and then it's Rand on the hill. And the music has been building, (maybe a darker more intense dark one- army theme has been used at this point) and for a second from the POV of none channelers, you don't see anything. Maybe the maiden music kicks in, or battles with the dark army theme and as they step through the portal -- it's chaotic, the music, the scene --

And back in the tower, watching all this, the regular guys don't get it-- they can't understand what they're seeing, and what we don't see yet ---

And then you see the Asha'mans perspective. And they're gasping, in shock because --

It's like looking at the sun. That's how bright Rand's channeling is, and he's pulsing as the music swells but it's different now. Either a new form of the strings, or full on angelic choir--- like in the third harry potter movie when Harry finally saves himself --

and then it's beautiful fury and death.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 23, 2021

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I don't remember Rand channeling Mike Tyson 🤔

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Gully Foyle posted:

Who knows. The animated extra for the second episode was just the fall of Manetheren, which we got the story of in the actual episode too. I have my doubts on the Mat scene happening as it is though - who knows how they are even plotting the seasons and where Mat will be?

They can have the Mat scene show him win the fight and then instead of the story just say "don't you remember what I told you about farmers with quarterstaffs?" That way they get the scene people want but don't have to slow it down for the story.

Speaking of the animated things, I kinda hope Perrin ends up with the crown of Manetheren somehow since they made it a point of showing the kid finding it.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Late to the game,

1: Duel with Asmodeon
2:Aviedha explains Aiel sociology and snakes in the most irrationally belligerent tone possible
3: The cleansing. That worked less well in the books. But you could do one to two episodes of checking up with people after like 1-2 episodes of intense focus on Rand and the battle of Shadar Logoth. I feel like that would be a really efficient way of accomplishing what took like a book.
4. The attempt to Drone Strike Graendal
5. Demandred raging out because he thinks Rand is hiding him and then defeating lightning by earthing himself

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Scenes I, a confessed book disliker, want to see adapted

1. Hyam Kinch picks Rand and Mat up on the road to the big city

2. Hyam Kinch again picks them up on the road to the big city because TV viewers should not be robbed of that confusing moment from the books

3 The First of Mayne vamping around the three nebbish tavarens. Don't gently caress up that casting.

4 That scene where Queen Morgayse inspects the wax seal on the note delivered by whoever, Did she know it was opened? I could never tell. I'd hope so, I'd like some definitive proof that the queen's wax seals have multi layered anti-gentle heating technology built in them.

5 Awkward adaptions of whatever the spear kissing game gets morphed into now that we've established these are adults way past smooching.

6 A star trek like adherence to rigid coat and collar Ashaman ranks., make them wear some splendid loving embroidered jackets. Don't gently caress that up or you'll kill my immersion, Jeff.

7 The creepy thing in the waygates that whispers about "plaiting skin", Cmon Amazon, break out your best Dolby spatialized Atmos Pro Logic II 11.3 surround setup and make that voice whip around everywhere and be terrifying. Or just phone it in via the left channel only, whatever.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Mashadar looks pretty good, I'd be interested to see what they do with Machin Shin

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

DarkHorse posted:

Mashadar looks pretty good, I'd be interested to see what they do with Machin Shin

I really like that they made it look kind of like a sped-up slime mold. Really nails the idea that it grew off of people's evil then ate em all

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

A really cursed thing they could do, is whenever you're watching a scene in the ways, The whispers also started coming out of any Alexa devices that you may have. Which would be cursed on so many levels besides just hearing The whispers. But as soon as you started talking about it that's the thought that came up

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

CainFortea posted:

A really cursed thing they could do, is whenever you're watching a scene in the ways, The whispers also started coming out of any Alexa devices that you may have. Which would be cursed on so many levels besides just hearing The whispers. But as soon as you started talking about it that's the thought that came up

This happened during Shadar Logoth. It was spooky as poo poo, since I don't own an Alexa.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

CainFortea posted:

That would have been a particularly cursed thing for my household because my son has the echo in his room for sleeptime music and I watched that episode while he was in bed but maybe not asleep yet

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

CainFortea posted:

oh my loving god don't even joke like that

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I live in Saudi Arabia, and my hype for the show got most of my gaming group (all Saudi) reading the series a few months ago.

The furthest along just finished The Shadow Rising, and loves it so far. He especially loves the Aiel because they have Bedouin influences, but aren't just Bedouins pulled whole cloth from the early 20th century and plopped down.

I told him a lot of people give it grief because Jordan ripped off Dune.

He laughed and asked if they believe Frank Herbert invented Bedouin culture, then said "at least Jordan mixes things up and makes it interesting instead of just writing sci-fi Lawrence of Arabia fanfic."

Gave me a good chuckle.

EDIT: They think it's hilarious that The Dark One is named "Shai'tan".

Devorum fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Nov 23, 2021

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

man, buying the entire series (of books; again) is not cheap

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Do what I did and get the first one real cheap when it went on sale and then get hooked so I had to keep buying them. Least they’re huge rear end doorstops so it usually took a month or two for me to get through one to buy the next.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Wait, is the dude at the very beginning of episode 1 NOT Logain? I assumed it was since both scenes of Liandrin involve a long haired false Dragon guy but people are saying they’re two different people for some reason.

My beans are on that the first dude was Owyn, because it will allow for a more tangible friction between Moiraine and Thom. Owyn was gentled by a Red Ajah posse just like that dude, Moiraine new about the Red posses, and it's the most expedient way to push that specific pressure point when they eventually meet.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

since i can't post this in the tv thread, just popping into say i'm utterly fascinated by the decision to raise the prospect that egwene could be the dragon reborn when everything else, including interviews, is pointing to it still being rand. it makes sense on a superficial "it's better for the marketing" level but feels a lot like the decision to lean into daenerys-as-girlboss without changing any of her ultimate arc. genuinely cannot wait to see what they do with it and how they reconcile the implications with what we've seen of the world so far (which still strongly implies a setup more or less like the books, with men going crazy and the red ajah doing its thing), and i sincerely hope it's not just "ah well you know people reincarnate as whoever all the time" answer.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
Article in the guardian about Madeleine Madden making the big time. She’s an Australian Aboriginal actor and it’s really great to see the obstacles (generally racism) she’s overcome to make it to the show.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2021/nov/23/the-wheel-of-time-actor-madeleine-madden-as-an-aboriginal-woman-my-life-is-politicised

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

Valentin posted:

since i can't post this in the tv thread, just popping into say i'm utterly fascinated by the decision to raise the prospect that egwene could be the dragon reborn when everything else, including interviews, is pointing to it still being rand. it makes sense on a superficial "it's better for the marketing" level but feels a lot like the decision to lean into daenerys-as-girlboss without changing any of her ultimate arc. genuinely cannot wait to see what they do with it and how they reconcile the implications with what we've seen of the world so far (which still strongly implies a setup more or less like the books, with men going crazy and the red ajah doing its thing), and i sincerely hope it's not just "ah well you know people reincarnate as whoever all the time" answer.

Making her taveren is great though, and I think that ties in with it. There are 4 taveren and they don’t know which one is the dragon.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Valentin posted:

It's kinda doubly weird for me, tbh, because unless the whole back-prophecy and everything has been changed the Dragon Reborn, in the Third Age, very specifically has to be channeling the tainted Power. Like, "your salvation is a madman who will break the world as he saves it" is pretty core to the whole idea. Moiraine should 1000% know that a saidar-channeler couldn't be the Dragon Reborn.

stramit posted:

Making her taveren is great though, and I think that ties in with it. There are 4 taveren and they don’t know which one is the dragon.
TBH, I'd think making her ta'veren lessens her. Aside from some light brushes by Mat, Egwene accomplishes everything she does through sheer grit and determination (and lust for power).

bio347 fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Nov 23, 2021

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

stramit posted:

that's exactly what's fascinating! you could just as easily have moiraine tell the emond's fielders that they're all fated by prophecy to be Big Deals (no need to even say ta'veren), and hold back "also specifically one of you is definitely the second coming of christ, and it's one of the boys" until later when it wouldn't feel as lame. instead, they hit "the dragon is reborn and could be a man or a woman" really really hard, while also putting "and there are four ta'veren" in seemingly specifically so book readers (who know the dragon bit's a hollow statement because it's not gonna be egwene) will still feel like the series is updating its approach to gender. it's so needlessly complicated i can't help but hope it means weird poo poo (intentional or otherwise) is coming.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 23, 2021

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

bio347 posted:

It's kinda doubly weird for me, tbh, because unless the whole back-prophecy and everything has been changed the Dragon Reborn, in the Third Age, very specifically has to be channeling the tainted Power. Like, "your salvation is a madman who will break the world as he saves it" is pretty core to the whole idea. Moiraine should 1000% know that a saidar-channeler couldn't be the Dragon Reborn.

Look, the dragon reborn could go crazy for other reasons :colbert:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

And the books have a woman channeling Saidin.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

https://twitter.com/brother_Buddha/status/1462881152331616259?s=20

They probably wouldn't put up a Bela page if she was mashadar'd

I hadn't thought about the hammer and axe in years. But this reminded me that it's total bullshit! The axe is a tool of creation! Without an axe you could not fell trees, you could not hew logs and make buildings or other tools. The axe was historically one of the most important tools in existence. It was used for logging as well as woodworking of all sorts. You can do a lot with an axe that nowadays you'd have a bunch of other tools for instead (chisels, saws, planes). But back then, iron and steel in particular was expensive. So people developed skill with the axe for making everyhting.

So to me, the axe is possibly more a tool of creation than a hammer.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

The Glumslinger posted:

Look, the dragon reborn could go crazy for other reasons :colbert:
And even in my head I'm going "...and the 'break the world' bit could be entirely metaphorical". But I dunno, it still doesn't ring correctly to me. Could be a me problem.

CainFortea posted:

I was careful to not say it has to be a dude, because sure. But Egwene almost certainly ain't gonna, though, and Moiraine is going to be able to sense the saidar ability in her. Going to (perhaps naively) assume that a dual-Power channeler isn't going to be a thing.

And I'm not saying that Eggy isn't worth putting in the same class of importance as the boys, because she's totally super-important. I just think maybe you hold the Dragon thing a little closer to the chest and do what the books did and have it be "one of you [four] is vital to the world".

His Divine Shadow posted:

Perrin's axe is, like, specifically a spiked battle axe, which is maybe less suited for typical production work. Or perhaps not, and it's just colouring his perception. And in the books he totally assaults Malden using the hammer as a weapon (and then makes a warhammer). It's never overtly pointed out, I don't think, but there's absolutely something intentional there.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

CainFortea posted:

There are sort of extenuating circumstances behind that though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

A bearded axe, like the type used in combat, is really crappy at doing wood work though. Which did make it kind of weird when that axe was just sitting next to the wood pile.

Intruder posted:

There are sort of extenuating circumstances behind that though

Sure, just pointing out that if the dark one can do it, i'm sure the pattern could to. Besides, that move was made entirely for the non-readers to include Egwene as the possible target.