Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Mister Facetious posted:

Not a goon database, but one dude has made it their calling to try every instant ramen there is, and to post about it:
https://www.theramenrater.com/

I've gone and ordered some of these after having had a look around that site, I am quite excited.

Edit after receipt: They're certainly enjoyable, but hardly revolutionary. Not really worth £2.50 per portion.

These remain my favourite:

Instant Noodle King abalone & chicken flavour. They aren't fried so they've got a nice bite to them and the broth is really tasty.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Nov 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Made some Mapo tofu tonight. It was real good.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

goodness posted:

Are there any other cooking books the thread would recommend like Dunlop's The Food of Sichuan, but for other regions like Hunan and Guizhou?

I've been looking for seeds! If you are in the US I have dozens of superhot and other varieties I would happily trade for a pack.

Her books on Hunan and Jiangnan/Shanghai cuisine are really good as well

The Revolutionary Chinese Cookbook, and Land of Fish and Rice respectively.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

cptn_dr posted:

Made some Mapo tofu tonight. It was real good.

Also made Mapo tofu tonight, from Chinese Cooking Demystified. One of the best I've made yet!

Spuckuk posted:

Her books on Hunan and Jiangnan/Shanghai cuisine are really good as well

The Revolutionary Chinese Cookbook, and Land of Fish and Rice respectively.

Thanks! Added to my amazon cart along with Every Grain of Rice. Maybe they will see a black friday drop

goodness fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 19, 2021

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I just got Revolutionary Chinese Cookbook and made a recipe from it, it tastes exactly as I remember from China so I'm stoked to explore it more.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I finally got my wok seasoned using this method https://mammafong.com/blogs/mammas-...method-revealed because I have an electric stove and range in my apartment. With the aromatic seasoning at the end, I cheated a bit and wound up adding a few eggs, soy sauce, and msg. Then topped with Lao gan ma, sesame oil, and sesame seeds. Was very tasty! The eggs weren’t as easy to scrape away as nonstick, but they scrambled up well and it was easy to wash the wok with just water and a paper towel to wipe.

Ive recently discovered a love of congee with a fried egg for breakfast. Plus, congee makes easy meal prep. I’m looking to get into making stir fries as well for meal prep; I know they won’t be as good as fresh, but it’s not like I can get wok hei anyway on my stove. I’ll probably just make a point of undercooking the veg a bit so that it reheats to a better consistency.

That said, what are some of the more generally healthy chinese dishes out there? I love spicy stuff. I don’t really like picking through bones or really tough fibrous veg as part of the final dish (I’m happy to do that for the preparation and cooking). Do folks know some easy to make dishes that have good leftovers for 4+ days?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

fr0id posted:

That said, what are some of the more generally healthy chinese dishes out there? I love spicy stuff. I don’t really like picking through bones or really tough fibrous veg as part of the final dish (I’m happy to do that for the preparation and cooking). Do folks know some easy to make dishes that have good leftovers for 4+ days?

I guess it depends what you mean by healthy, but I've been making ants climbing a tree recently because it's pretty low calorie. I calculated the Woks of Life version at ~480 calories per portion (with that recipe making two) and the leftovers work for a few days.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

droll posted:

Ya the "high end" instant noodles coming out of China and Korea are amazing. I can never go back to the 50cent stuff, even if I'm tarting it up with my own ingredients.

I'd be very interested in a goon database or if someone knows of a good existing one, documenting all the instant noodles that have made their way over to US markets. There are so many, too many to try alone.

you haven't heard of the ramen rater?

my wife saw him at a store once, only knew who he was because he of course, was wearing a jacket that promoted himself as the ramen rater.

he's even got a long review of the pumpkin spice cup o noodle

https://www.theramenrater.com/pumpkin-spice-cup-noodles/

edit: gently caress, beaten

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 24, 2021

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Shocked the dude who ate 4000 instant ramens was pushing 400 pounds, good on him for losing all that though.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

Shocked the dude who ate 4000 instant ramens was pushing 400 pounds, good on him for losing all that though.

I'm more surprised he didn't have a heart attack. That's a lot of sodium. Reminds me of Adam Richman, the guy who did the food challenge show. He had to go on a big diet by the end of it.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

i made p good hui guo rou and disanxian. local market had suan miao so i was forced to make hui guo rou

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Disanxian is the best. I usually go heavy on the potato, eggplant doesn't reheat very well so I want to eat it all when it's fresh.

I have eggplants in the fridge for making fengwei qiezi if I can be bothered to before they go bad. Maybe tomorrow.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

my ratio is always potato > eggplant > pepper.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
correct ratio is always error because you can't divide pepper by zero

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Ailumao posted:

my ratio is always potato > eggplant > pepper.

I do potato > pepper > eggplant.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I do whatever I got. Potatoes are my favorite but if I wanna use up a bunch of eggplant or pepper or whatever, then I'll do that.

Colorred
Dec 26, 2012
Anybody know any good fishball soup recipes? I grew up in Singapore, so I'd like to recreate some of that magic at home if possible.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So one of my favorite things to eat are "steamed dumplings." This is what Chinese restaurants in the US call them, which I know isn't correct. (I also know that US Chinese Food isn't true Chinese food)

But I was wondering if someone had a recipe for this type of dumpling filling, or knew what it's actual name is? I keep trying different recipes and I can never find one that matches.

mystes
May 31, 2006

jadebullet posted:

So one of my favorite things to eat are "steamed dumplings." This is what Chinese restaurants in the US call them, which I know isn't correct. (I also know that US Chinese Food isn't true Chinese food)

But I was wondering if someone had a recipe for this type of dumpling filling, or knew what it's actual name is? I keep trying different recipes and I can never find one that matches.

What does it taste like?

Normal dumpling filling is just like meat and scallions and garlic and ginger and seasoning.

Unless it's something weird like char siu since it's reddish but that's normally in bao not dumplings.

mystes fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 20, 2021

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I think that's what it is based on a quick search

https://www.recipetineats.com/chinese-steamed-pork-buns/

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

jadebullet posted:

You'd have to give us more detail, there are hundreds of dumpling fillings. Pork/chive/ginger/garlic is probably the most common basic form?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The filling there looks like char siu, which yeah, is more commonly a bao thing.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I think that might be it, thanks. They are subtly sweet and flavorful, but not overwhelmingly so and are still savory. They are also that brown color as opposed to the pale color of the regular pork, chive, ginger, and garlic ones.

Thanks again.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Been getting into stir fry and lomein lately, feel like my big rear end cast iron pan isn’t exactly right for the job, what do you guys recommend in the $100 range. 80% of my cooking is old hand me down cast irons and a ceramic dutch oven. I have a tiny non stick cheapy pan for eggs but that’s about it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oh man stir fried noodles is probably the hardest stir fry to do correctly. It's notoriously difficult even in Chinese kitchens.

You want to do research into how to get the noodles not to stick without drowning them in oil.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Arglebargle III posted:

Oh man stir fried noodles is probably the hardest stir fry to do correctly. It's notoriously difficult even in Chinese kitchens.

You want to do research into how to get the noodles not to stick without drowning them in oil.

lol, just get a $20 wok

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

a sexual elk posted:

Been getting into stir fry and lomein lately, feel like my big rear end cast iron pan isn’t exactly right for the job, what do you guys recommend in the $100 range. 80% of my cooking is old hand me down cast irons and a ceramic dutch oven. I have a tiny non stick cheapy pan for eggs but that’s about it.

This is what I have and I love it. It’s heavy though, weighs a lot more than my old Joyce Chen brand wok.

Craft Wok Traditional Hand Hammered Carbon Steel Pow Wok with Wooden and Steel Helper Handle (14 Inch, Round Bottom) / 731W88 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PUZT9MU/

I also got a cast iron grate setup for my range that meshes with the existing grate.

Replace parts Cast Iron Wok Ring For GE Appliances JGB860SEJSS, Kenmore, Bosch gas ranges,Select Samsung NX58H5650WS, And others https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MCL5GJ3/

My best cooking on it is done outside though on a standalone propane wok burner. All the BTUs I want and I don’t smoke up the house.

Eastman Outdoors 90411 Portable Kahuna Burner with XL Pot and Wok Brackets with Adjustable and Removable Legs, Black, Pack of 1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003GISCDK/

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah fried noodles and fried rice are the two instances where you really do need the jet engine heat. Holding a torch in the wok while you're stirring helps but the best option is to be at peace with the idea that it's not going to be the same as a restaurant. Doesn't mean it won't be good though.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I am 100% getting a giant propane burner for next season. I used my charcoal bbq last year but it was impossible to control the temp at all.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I found a recipe a while ago for Cantonese wok-fried noodles and it was a total game changer for us.
It was from woksoflife.
Context: we're in Ireland, so great noodles is probably a very low bar, but these are super super good noodles. They are basically those really good 'plain' fried noodles fron a takeaway.
Tip: dry fry the noodles a little cooler than the recipe recommends so you can dry em out a bit more before they burn.

Edit: also mix up about 50% extra sauce because your noodles will soak up a lot and you'll want some spare to coat the remainder

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah fried noodles and fried rice are the two instances where you really do need the jet engine heat. Holding a torch in the wok while you're stirring helps but the best option is to be at peace with the idea that it's not going to be the same as a restaurant. Doesn't mean it won't be good though.

i just have a standard residential chinese apartment burner and i make better fried rice than 90% of the restaurants in china. i dont think you need a jet engine

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
My wife and I are going to be starting the house designing/building process here in the next 12 months. Current plan is natural gas line straight to a ~restaurant level wok burner, or propane if we’re far enough out that we can’t get a gas hookup. It will be on an exterior wall with high flow exterior ventilation.

Out of curiosity, anyone here have any experience to share with a home setup like this, or have knowledge of typical home setups in China?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I don’t think they have restaurant burners in most homes. You’ll want a strong ventilation game for above it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Honestly I would just run an exterior NG line on your deck/patio that you can hook various things to (bbq, wok burner, heater...)

Permanently installing a restaurant capacity wok burner seems like overkill and limits what you can do.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Typical home setups in China are not much different than anywhere else. Nobody has a restaurant burner at home. I also would do the outside hookup, but def get a real vent hood that can move serious air regardless, that's always useful. And if you can customize you could get one burner that's shaped to hold a round bottom wok properly, that would be neat.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I'm planning on getting one of those outdoor wok burners. Probably still overkill but then I won't have to worry about smoke/flare ups. I can't use it during the cooler months, but then I'd rather have like soups anyway.

Unrelated, I've got some questions about hot pot. Do most people make up their own broth or is it like Japanese curry where the pre-packaged mixes are more common? My wife is pescatarian so I'd like to have a recipe/brand recommendation for vegetarian/fish-based hot pot broth. And is it always spicy? My wife can't handle a lot of heat so I'd need to prepare something on the milder side.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Hot pot is literally just boil whatever in whatever broth you want, there are a huge variety of variations. A lot of people use packaged mixes but there's no reason you can't make your own. It's not something I've done at home.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Eeyo posted:

Unrelated, I've got some questions about hot pot. Do most people make up their own broth or is it like Japanese curry where the pre-packaged mixes are more common? My wife is pescatarian so I'd like to have a recipe/brand recommendation for vegetarian/fish-based hot pot broth. And is it always spicy? My wife can't handle a lot of heat so I'd need to prepare something on the milder side.

It ranges from really easy to incredibly complex of course. But in practice it's no different than make a broth, then move it to your hotpot for the table and have your meal. I have an induction burner I've done this with and the only problem I have is there aren't enough people to help eat a whole thing and then I have left overs.

Seafood broths are super easy to make, but google around and see what works. And buy fish with bones so you can use them to make broths.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Make sure you have a CENTRAL flame if you want to use a wok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Made a big ol batch of Lo Shui and man, everyone should have some of this in the fridge/freezer. Just braise anything sturdy in it to make it incredible