Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

you know you're gonna https://www.negative.supply/shop-all/basic-film-carrier-35

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

This video convinced me that a scanner would be best for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9d8BukUgzI. But I have to admit, I am not sure if I would be willing to go through the hassle of scanning (flatbed or DSLR) for 35 mm film.

Don't underestimate dust. It is by far the most annoying thing about scanning, and a scanner that does IR-based dust removal is amazing.

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan
So while looking for a Fuji XT-2 I ended up picking up a like new XT-3 with the 18-55mm kit lens for a really good price on Facebook Marketplace the other week and am blown away by the difference in quality from both the old dSLR and my iPhone XS Max. Thanks again everyone!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Work just bought me an X-T4 (for work related projects of course) with that same lens and boy is it a nice camera and lens.

I'm sure I'll forget to take it out of my bag when I go home sometimes, I'm just a forgetful guy!

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Walked posted:

Anyone shooting audio separate from their camera, specifically Sony Alpha series? How are you finding syncing?

I dont do much video currently but considering it. I need to solve for audio quality and the onboard pre-amp is supposed to be middling. Any suggestions? Just sync in post? Get something to timecode to? Something else?

I always sync with Premiere's auto-sync; it works *really* well.

Megabound posted:

Work just bought me an X-T4 (for work related projects of course) with that same lens and boy is it a nice camera and lens.

I'm sure I'll forget to take it out of my bag when I go home sometimes, I'm just a forgetful guy!

I was working late shooting video when my wife's water broke, and I just ran to my car and drove to the hospital, so I ended up having an A7III and 24-70 2.8 on me when my twins were born.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I recently started shooting astro with a cheap Nikon 5200. I want a second body. Those are cheap and easy to find, but wondered if there's a hidden gem model out there I should be looking for instead. All our lenses are F-mount so I feel kind of locked in. Crop sensor is fine. Everything is manual so I don't care about the focus screw on the body, either. Primary features I'm most focused on are flip screen and if there's anything that does particularly better in low light.

Any advice for someone trying to avoid over researching old cameras and getting stuck by indecision paralysis?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

pumped up for school posted:

I recently started shooting astro with a cheap Nikon 5200. I want a second body. Those are cheap and easy to find, but wondered if there's a hidden gem model out there I should be looking for instead. All our lenses are F-mount so I feel kind of locked in. Crop sensor is fine. Everything is manual so I don't care about the focus screw on the body, either. Primary features I'm most focused on are flip screen and if there's anything that does particularly better in low light.

Any advice for someone trying to avoid over researching old cameras and getting stuck by indecision paralysis?

Astro folks love the D5300 and the D600. I worked for a Lifepixel for a few years and those were the most commonly bodies people recommended. The reasons cited were quite varied and may be apocryphal. Have you considered a hydrogen alpha mod? That would open your red sensitivity up a bit and while not giving you better low light response you do get better signal to noise and some more usable colors in nebulas.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also with f mount lenses you’re actually the least locked in of almost any lens mount. There are adapters for most other systems (but I know nothing of astro photography or hidden gems.)

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

pumped up for school posted:

For astro, if you are not shooting with an h-alpha modded camera, you are leaving so much data on the table. The next big leap is in active cooling to reduce the grain in your images. Next would be a monochrome sensor. You can get all three in a KAF8300M-based camera. They are a bit old though and they need a PC to use them.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

8th-snype posted:

Astro folks love the D5300 and the D600. I worked for a Lifepixel for a few years and those were the most commonly bodies people recommended. The reasons cited were quite varied and may be apocryphal. Have you considered a hydrogen alpha mod? That would open your red sensitivity up a bit and while not giving you better low light response you do get better signal to noise and some more usable colors in nebulas.
Thank you. The 5300 looks same as my 5200, and lighter, so works for me! Definitely considering the H-a mod.

powderific posted:

Also with f mount lenses you’re actually the least locked in of almost any lens mount.
Sorry, I worded my post poorly/incompletely: my wife has a stock of old Nikon mount lenses and figure I'll just stay in one family. Otherwise, I would have looked for a used Canon (cheaper) or Pentax (because I used to run one in Alaska piss-weather and it never let me down). I've never really looked at adapters. It would probably send me down a rabbit hole of looking for other used lens types.

theHUNGERian posted:

You can get all three in a KAF8300M-based camera. They are a bit old though and they need a PC to use them.
I have been looking for the backyard! For my work trips, I do have toughbooks, so it has been a thought in the back of my head. But for now I'm purely a bored hobbyist trying to give myself something to do while on the road. A lot of my work is in the middle of nowhere, and this would give me something to do at night. And I average 4-6 nights backpacking a month and I'd like to carry a small kit.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like you have a good way to go, but just to clarify: it's easy to adapt Nikon lenses to other cameras and the fit a lot of bodies, but Nikon bodies fit very few adapted lenses. So your wife's stock of F mounts can be adapted to a lot of different bodies. Canon EOS, basically any mirrorless, etc. Pentax would be one exception as they, like Nikon, stuck with their older mount.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Looking for a prime for food/product photography, and maybe some portraits but that's not the primary goal.

Eyeballing:
(Full frame, Sony, obviously)

Sigma 105mm f2.8 Macro Art ($800)
Sony 90mm f2.8 Macro G OSS($900 used)
Sony 85mm f1.8 ($600)

Strictly dont believe macro is truly necessary but a potentially worthwhile feature to have for some smaller products.

Anyone have any insight and/or other lenses to consider?

Walked fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 18, 2021

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Are there any comparable pocketable cameras to the Ricoh G3? Bedsides an rx100, iPhone 13 or Pixel 6, I'm not really seeing any other competitors. As a note, for now at least, I want to keep my Nikon D7500 and lenses and have something I can take out when I don't want to carry it.

huhu fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 22, 2021

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

huhu posted:

Are there any comparable pocketable cameras to the Ricoh G3? Bedsides an rx100, iPhone 13 or Pixel 6, I'm not really seeing any other competitors. As a note, for now at least, I want to keep my Nikon D7500 and lenses and have something I can take out when I don't want to carry it.

Fuji X100 series (X100V is the current model I think?)

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
For 28mm there is the Fuji x70, nikon Coolpix a, and sigma dp1 series.

There are a number of m43 bodies and lenses that could fit the bill.

The gr ii used to be a good deal used but I think prices have jumped a lot recently. I sold both my gr ii and III because of dust issues and just use my phone now.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The x100 is not pocketable, at least not the way the GR3 or RX100 are. The X70 is stupidly overpriced for how old it is and there’s the Fuji XF10 which is ok but has some issues. I’d say a RX100 5 or 6 is a good bet, the Mk 7 is where they made the aperture worse for more zoom range.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
i have the coolpix A and it's incredible and frustrating at the same time. I love it so much and if you can get one for a good price, you will too

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Love my first gen GR and don’t really like how they changed the controls for the III and nothing else in that size is really any better. Now that I’m taking toddler photos all the time the slow autofocus has become more of a dealbreaker so my iPhone has taken over as the main photo machine at home.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Hot drat these BF sales. I bought a new Panasonic 50mm f/1.8 lens for 199€. They sold it in white bulk package.

Traded in my Voigtländer 40mm f/2 Ultron for Canon EF and paid 250€ on top of it and got a Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN. The lens was just released in 5/2021 so it is basically brand new too.

Can't wait for some more deals. I now have 24/2, 35/1.4 and 85/1.4 DG DN Sigma lenses for L-mount, and the 50/1.8 panny. Average price has been 550€ for each lens... some cheap deals available for the L-mount.

I also saw a 35/1.2 DG DN for 700€ but passed on it because it is so goddamn big and heavy. I hope I can get 550€ when I sell my 50/1.4 HSM ART and MC-21 adapter, then I don't have any lenses over 700g. The 50/1.4 with adapte weighs 1,1kg...

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I'm doing a LOT more tripod work and have a cheap-ish manfrotto; its been fine in studio and for portraits, but its not light nor as stable as I'd like (doing a lot of multiple exposures and focus stacking lately)

I'm at the point where I just want to "buy once cry once" into a tripod system thats going to just fuckin last

I'm not exactly well versed there as my requirements historically have been meh

I DO NOT want to buy middle of the range and just end up upgrading it again

What's the tripod to be looking at if I want "I'm not likely to want to replace this anytime soon"?
Pretty much exclusively stills, landscape, portrait, and overhead studio shots

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I love my ifootage gazelle. The bowl is a rare feature and is great for levelling out. Price isn't astronomical either. I do wish it was a little taller for when on a hillside but any legs significantly over 60 inches are really going to reduce the number of options. Durability wise I got nothing to say about it, I've been abusing the gently caress out of it for ~4 years and it's held up fine. Sometimes the hinges get gritty from mud but it rinses out okay.

Tripod heads are another matter entirely. Do you want a ball head? A geared head? A panning head? A ball head is a safe bet and there are dozens of quality manufacturers out there. But for me it's been one of those things where my tastes change, like I decided I wanted to switch to a geared head a couple years ago. So if there's a chance you'll want to try something different I wouldn't break the bank on a top of the line ball head.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo the Tamron 35-150 is kind of nuts, isn't it. Glad it's not out for the RF mount or I'd be tempted to dump my shutter-less M50 (and a kidney) for a new body.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

Holy poo poo the Tamron 35-150 is kind of nuts, isn't it. Glad it's not out for the RF mount or I'd be tempted to dump my shutter-less M50 (and a kidney) for a new body.

Hopefully it's in RF once I can afford a R5. That range in f2-2.8 is very, very appealing.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

mobby_6kl posted:

It looks like a fantastic work tool and I'd very much like to have one for Christmas but, for personal photography, I think I'd rather bring a few more specialized lenses with me than the giant chunk of non-stabilized, non-collared glass.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

2.5 pounds for a travel lens seems kinda optimistic to me but I guess that's the price you pay for bokeh on everything.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Decided to buy a sony FE 200-600mm for my A6600 as there's black friday sales and a 100 EUR cashback. Not sure what to do with my E 70-350mm though, maybe change it to Tamron 17-70?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've been carrying my 70-200 F4, 32mm 1.4 which are both amazing, as well as the kit lens on my trips so if anything, I think I'd save a ton of bulk and weight. Not money though :cry:

But as nice as it is to use these specialized lenses, constantly changing them in the field is a huge pain in the rear end. I was kind of jealous of my friend's Sony 18-135 even if it's a plebian f5.6. I suppose 35 might not be quite wide enough though.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The solution to you problem is just to get another body. I have a full frame on my 24-70 and a crop frame on my 70-200. I have a bag large enough to equip battery grips to both, but if you dont the second body doesn't take up much room. There are lots of cheapish bodies on eBay nowadays

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I forgot to mention, Canon has the 40mm f/2.8 EF mount pancake lens back in stock for just under $150 shipped. It's about $20-40 more for a similar condition lens elsewhere if you want a cheap walkabout lens for a full frame.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-40mm-f-28-stm-refurbished

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

bagmonkey posted:

I forgot to mention, Canon has the 40mm f/2.8 EF mount pancake lens back in stock for just under $150 shipped. It's about $20-40 more for a similar condition lens elsewhere if you want a cheap walkabout lens for a full frame.

Been looking for a compact 35-40mm for my Sony kit... temped to just use this and pick up an MC-11 which is on sale right now..

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I bought two used bodies this week (modded Canon t2i for nighttime and Fuji xt2 for my impulse buy) and I'll probably buy a lens or two for the fuji. I don't know if it's cool to ask here but, anyone have an mpb referral code? I could make another account but thought I'd ask here first.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

I've been doing some freelance photo and video work for sports teams and I'm pleased with my Canon 5D Mk3 for photography, but I really need to update the video side where I've been using an 80D. I'm getting a headache reading up on camera bodies but I think I've narrowed it down to the Sony A7III and the Lumix S5. But I also got the Lumix DC BGH-1 in there as a wildcard, cause why not? My main concerns is that it needs to do video real well and preferably have a good autofocus system since I'll be shooting sports and people moving around quickly. Does anyone here have any preferences or experiences with either camera? Or is there another camera I should be looking at? I've also considered the BMD Pocket 4K, but I can't remember why I've discarded it right now.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you want autofocus for sports the S5 is not gonna be ideal. It’s contrast detect only and ok for stills but not so much video. The Sony will be better in that regard.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

um excuse me posted:

The solution to you problem is just to get another body. I have a full frame on my 24-70 and a crop frame on my 70-200. I have a bag large enough to equip battery grips to both, but if you dont the second body doesn't take up much room. There are lots of cheapish bodies on eBay nowadays
Getting another body seems like would be a solution and cause of more problems :v:

Grimson posted:

I've been doing some freelance photo and video work for sports teams and I'm pleased with my Canon 5D Mk3 for photography, but I really need to update the video side where I've been using an 80D. I'm getting a headache reading up on camera bodies but I think I've narrowed it down to the Sony A7III and the Lumix S5. But I also got the Lumix DC BGH-1 in there as a wildcard, cause why not? My main concerns is that it needs to do video real well and preferably have a good autofocus system since I'll be shooting sports and people moving around quickly. Does anyone here have any preferences or experiences with either camera? Or is there another camera I should be looking at? I've also considered the BMD Pocket 4K, but I can't remember why I've discarded it right now.

Have you looked at the R5/6? You'd get to keep all your cool glass.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Thanks for all the tripod advice; ended up on a KEH discounted set of Really Right Stuff legs + BH40 Ball Head to start off. We'll see how it does; I can always swap the head down the line. The goal is to get an 80% coverage for what I want to do and figure out if I need anything else. :)

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Grimson posted:

As already mentioned the S5 has meh AF in video mode. I have done 1 wedding with mine so far and a ton of outdoor portrait sessions with both kids and dogs, the stills CAF is as good or better than my Fuji cameras were and I have no complaints. As far as video AF, very meh. My shooting partner has an S1 and we both pull manual focus for lower light gigs video gigs. I think brightly lit stuff might be ok as long as you don't mind some DFD wobble. The big draw for Lumix video is the dual IS IMO, 6 stops of stabilization lets you get away with handholding stuff in tight spaces where a tripod or even monopod would not be feasible.

Take my video comments as YMMV tho as I am just branching out into motion work this year so I don't have nearly the experience as I do with stills.

A Canon R6 might also be a good overall upf=grade for you and let's you use your EF mount lenses with an adapter.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

bagmonkey posted:

Lol, just my fuckin' luck, payment didn't authorize properly through Paypal so the transaction never cleared and now the lens is out of stock and I did not get the awesome deal on that lens. Oh well, I am strongly debating swapping my body to a mirrorless body atm so just gonna focus on if that's something I should do.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I’m looking for a minimal bag, like a sling, for one body with lens - but that can also carry a water bottle and tripod. Has anyone seen one before that’s not a full fledged backpack?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Hi thread, can anyone recommend a wireless remote for a Canon 5D (Mk III if that makes a difference)? I don't need one that often, but this lovely cheap one I got off Amazon doesn't seem to be very reliable, so something a bit more robust is in order. Google seems to recommend either the Pixel or the Vello, but I figured it's worth an ask here. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I have a pixel. Regularly use it ~40 feet away. Usually I use it as an intervalemeter but works good as a remote. Not like I beat it up or anything but it does what it is supposed to do.