Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

prove that the sith exist outside of palpatine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Alaois posted:

Ummm Darth Vader? Easy.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Sydin posted:

To be fair the force was treated a lot differently in ANH than any of the other movies: it's a very ill-defined power that seems to let you do a whole lot of stuff and feels a lot more analogous to "sorcery". Force Choke is just kind of a thing everybody accepts as an evil guy power Sith do in every other movie, but during the council scene when Vader chokes the guy trying to dunk on him everybody at the table looks confused and uncomfortable, even Tarkin who by that point has been working with Vader for years and would recognize it if it was something Vader did regularly. It felt a lot less like a defined Sith power you get at level 10 Sith Lord and more like an impulsive lashing out by Vader at a guy trying to mock him.

I absolutely love the way the Force is presented in the first movie and I totally agree with you. The way the Jedi are spoken about have a lot more in common with a hidden Shaolin monastery than a major political power. The Force is clearly inspired by new-agey "Harness the hidden power of your MIND" stuff and a superficial understanding of eastern mysticism that was popular around that time and has a lot more in common with ESP than the array of telekinesis and telepathy that it becomes for the rest of the movies, starting with the second one. It is made a lot more mystical and vague, with Obi-wan and Luke mostly being able to know and feel things they shouldn't and Vader chocking the imperial officer is the really the only instance of the Force actually directly affecting anything.

e X fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 23, 2021

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

Ummm Darth Vader? Easy.

you mean Palpatine's apprentice who stopped being a sith the second Palpatine died?

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

What still blows me away is the guy who plays Admiral Motti actually like, learned how to control his muscles in his neck to spasm like that to sell the effect.

From wookiepedia

quote:

LeParmentier spent days practicing choking in his dressing room to make it look convincing until he was able to control and induce spasms in his neck

That rules lol that guy deserves alot of credit for that iconic scene because he sells it perfectly

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Alaois posted:

https://twitter.com/elijahwood/status/1229632586760081409?s=20

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Sydin posted:

To be fair the force was treated a lot differently in ANH than any of the other movies: it's a very ill-defined power that seems to let you do a whole lot of stuff and feels a lot more analogous to "sorcery". Force Choke is just kind of a thing everybody accepts as an evil guy power Sith do in every other movie, but during the council scene when Vader chokes the guy trying to dunk on him everybody at the table looks confused and uncomfortable, even Tarkin who by that point has been working with Vader for years and would recognize it if it was something Vader did regularly. It felt a lot less like a defined Sith power you get at level 10 Sith Lord and more like an impulsive lashing out by Vader at a guy trying to mock him.

Also while I know it wasn't the intended reading at the time the council scene was written, with the hindsight of the prequels it's also possible that the guy is mocking the force because, well, fat loving load of good it did the Jedi in resisting Imperial takeover.

That's one of the bigger problems with the Star Wars EU and nerd properties in general: The need to endlessly quantify and explain things, whether or not it actually contributes to the narrative. The Force can't just be an ill-defined and unknowable space magic, it has to be a rigorously defined set of discreet powers and abilities.

One of the big strength's of the original trilogy's worldbuilding has always been its ability to hint at a broader world the characters inhabit, without actually showing us concrete details - We get characters referencing offscreen events like the Clone Wars or the Jedi Order or the bounty hunter on Ord Matell but we weren't given concrete details and the audience inferred what these things actually were from context.

The old Star Wars EU was especially bad about this because it seemed like almost every author treated every line of dialogue from the films as being 100& true in the most literal sense. The tendency to base entire alien species off whatever personality traits a single member displayed in the movies has already been mentioned, but I think the best example of the EU and the greater Star wars' fandom's tendency to take everything 100% literally comes in Han Solo making the Kessel run. In A New Hope he offhandedly mentions that the Millennium Falcon made the Kessel run in "less than 12 parsecs" and the EU bent itself into knots coming up with explanations for how that was possible (Eventually settling on the explanation that The Kessel Run involves travelling a precarious route through a cluster of black holes, so taking the shortest possible path through it is a major achievement. This is all a completely stupid exercise based on taking Han at face value and not moving to the much simpler conclusion that "making the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs" is just some impressive-sounding nonsense a shady smuggler pulled out of his rear end to impress two backwater rubes into thinking he was hot poo poo.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Jamie Faith posted:

What still blows me away is the guy who plays Admiral Motti actually like, learned how to control his muscles in his neck to spasm like that to sell the effect.

From wookiepedia

That rules lol that guy deserves alot of credit for that iconic scene because he sells it perfectly

Goddamn that rules.

The imperial council scene from ANH might be one of my favorite scenes in cinema period. What should be a bog standard exposition scene is shot, paced, edited, and acted to perfection, and gives us another look at the force - and more importantly, how it can be used to outright harm in the hands of the baddies.

e X posted:

I absolutely love the way the Force is presented in the first movie and I totally agree with you. The way the Jedi are spoken about have a lot more in common with a hidden Shaolin monastery than a major political power. The Force is clearly inspired by new-agey "Harness the hidden power of your MIND" stuff and a superficial understanding of eastern mysticism that was popular around that time and has a lot more in common with ESP than the array of telekinesis and telepathy that it becomes for the rest of the movies, starting with the second one. It is made a lot more mystical and vague, with Obi-wan and Luke mostly being able to know and feel things they shouldn't and Vader chocking the imperial officer is the really the only instance of the Force actually directly affecting anything.

:yeah:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I'm gonna go with how the movie presents it: Palpatine just created 10,000 Star Destroyers out of thin air, because he's Sheev Mother loving The Senate Palpatine, that's why, swallow a turd, nerd.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm gonna go with how the movie presents it: Palpatine just created 10,000 Star Destroyers out of thin air, because he's Sheev Mother loving The Senate Palpatine, that's why, swallow a turd, nerd.

Sheev conjuring them out of sheer loving Evil Will is way cooler than "Hidden Sith planet oooooh".

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Alaois posted:

Yoda knows what they are before he knows about Palpatine. Also Luke mentions them when he’s training Rey, which means he must have studied them in those big lore books Rey secretly saved that have no further importance to the story after Rey saves them.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Always two there are, a master and an apprentice … Also like a whole planet of robed guys just hanging out.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Samovar posted:

Did I miss something regarding this week's Dogs Must Die? I would have thought it would have been out by now...

It's not up on Youtube yet but it is on Soundcloud.
https://soundcloud.com/bizarrepodcast/episode-36-the-town-of-weirdo-freaks

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Were all those guys at the end of the last new one ghosts? Why did they need stadium seating?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Sydin posted:

The imperial council scene from ANH might be one of my favorite scenes in cinema period. What should be a bog standard exposition scene is shot, paced, edited, and acted to perfection, and gives us another look at the force - and more importantly, how it can be used to outright harm in the hands of the baddies.
It's real good, and from memory of the Star Wars "saved in the edit" essay, it was a lynchpin in introducing a lot of the bigger concepts going on early in the movie. Though it took me years to figure out that the desk light underneath the councillor wasn't an egg-yolk that Vader choked out of him.

nine-gear crow posted:

Poe: "Somehow Palpatine's constructed thousands of Star Destroyers"

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Sydin posted:

Oh yeah I'll be the first to admit that the series really needs to diversify its locations and cast of characters (and time period in general, honestly). Loved me some Mandalorian but I was audibly groaning when Mando landed on Tatooine, and slamming my head into my desk when he went BACK to Tatooine in S2. Like ffs there are SO MANY planets and cultures to explore and we just keep going back to this loving armpit because it's where Luke was bumming at the start of the series.

Yeah, a lot of what made Mando S1 feel fresh as Star Wars media was that it was up for expanding the universe beyond the incredibly trodden and overly revered ground of the original trilogy. But then in S2 not only does it end up dedicating more time to the previously existing EU, it also has fallen for the same problem with its first season, probably because its the only uncontroversial Star Wars product post Disney acquisition, meaning that a large part of the season is spent on mining goodwill from S1 characters.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
There's plenty to nitpick, but "How'd he create a bunch of ships?" seems like a weird thing to get hung up on. They'd use the minerals and raw materials that Exogol and the surrounding planets presumably have? IMO it might even be less weird than the two moon-sized leviathans they managed to secretly construct without the the scary nebula to cloak them. We see more of the weird dudes who built the death fleet than we did of whoever build the Death Star.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's only a hang up because of the way it's presented in the movie. Like, yeah, build up your secret army on a secluded planet no biggie - that's Attack of the Clones - but the way Exegol is presented in the movie isn't a secluded planet that happens to have a massive mining and manufacturing facility on it, it's a planet almost completely wiped from knowledge that can only be reached by two devices, each held by a Sithlord, and when the main characters arrive is a completely featureless wasteland, before a decrepit and ruined temple rises and admits them, in which there's a seemingly ramshackle lab with aborted clones and a colosseum of hooded fanatics chanting. Then fully staffed Star Destroyers just levitate out of the sand, complete with bad admiral who I guess is now inside the nebula despite not having either of the two devices that enable you to navigate it because I guess ol' Palps used his noggin to do it and whatever, just release the loving storm trooper toys so Finn has something to do.

Like about halfway through that whole thing my brain just exited my body.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
The more you think about it, the more you realize Star Wars is just a really extended prequel to Warhammer 40k.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I guess what I'm saying is its presentation as a secret planet that the Sith sought spiritual endarkenment on is all the movie concentrates on until JJ needs a new Death Star, whereas at least with the secret army on the secret planet in AotC you discovered the stakes through Obi-Wan's literal tour of the facilities.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Every Star Wars movie is dumb as hell and it owns

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 23, 2021

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Vagabong posted:

its the only uncontroversial Star Wars product post Disney acquisition, meaning that a large part of the season is spent on mining goodwill from S1 characters.

Hey now, people generally agreed Star Wars: Squadrons and Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order were good enough games that managed to slip out of EA's nether regions when it wasn't paying attention. Then again... it sounds like EA is redirecting attention into Franchising Fallen Order, so I guess we'll see how they manage to ruin that soon enough.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

e X posted:

I think the inference originally was it was more faith than organization, so when they talk about Obi-Wan being a General in the Clone Wars, he was probably a Republic military officer who also just happened to study and practice Jedi teachings. Jedi just being the faith on his dog tag, if that makes sense?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think the inference originally was it was more faith than organization, so when they talk about Obi-Wan being a General in the Clone Wars, he was probably a Republic military officer who also just happened to study and practice Jedi teachings. Jedi just being the faith on his dog tag, if that makes sense?

The implication I got from the backstory Ben gives Luke in A New Hope was maybe that he and Anakin had been war buddies who both turned to Jedi teachings after leading a life of violence in the Clone Wars, but I imagine all that backstory was constantly changing around. Like how they couldn't consistently get everyone to say Princess Leia's name the same way, and how she went from smooching Luke to being his sister.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Nuns with Guns posted:

The implication I got from the backstory Ben gives Luke in A New Hope was maybe that he and Anakin had been war buddies who both turned to Jedi teachings after leading a life of violence in the Clone Wars, but I imagine all that backstory was constantly changing around. Like how they couldn't consistently get everyone to say Princess Leia's name the same way, and how she went from smooching Luke to being his sister.

George Lucas planned the incest from the start. There was an incestuous romance in an early draft of the script. It wasn't brother and sister, but I think they might have been half-siblings.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ivypls posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yjZpBq1XBE

defunctland has made a frankly eyebrow-raisingly thorough deep dive into the disney fastpass system

This is incredible. Nobody sleep on it. I say this as someone who doesn’t like watching videos longer than 40 minutes.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I literally didn't realise it was 90 minutes long until he started wrapping things up and I was like "why is it dark out?"

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
its nuts how tightly paced that fast pass video is. its great

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Defunctland/status/1462981694038818820

The guy did all of the music and animation by himself.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

fun hater posted:

i dont know how but we have to please do something about the ghoulishness of hollywood using modern tech to force your corpse to sing and dance long after you're dead and can't turn down a role

This is a major part of the excellent and underrated film The Congress, in which Robin Wright (best known for playing Princess Buttercup) signs away her digital likeness and later sees her digital self go on to become a big action star. Then things escalate.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

KingKalamari posted:

The old Star Wars EU was especially bad about this because it seemed like almost every author treated every line of dialogue from the films as being 100& true in the most literal sense. The tendency to base entire alien species off whatever personality traits a single member displayed in the movies has already been mentioned, but I think the best example of the EU and the greater Star wars' fandom's tendency to take everything 100% literally comes in Han Solo making the Kessel run. In A New Hope he offhandedly mentions that the Millennium Falcon made the Kessel run in "less than 12 parsecs" and the EU bent itself into knots coming up with explanations for how that was possible (Eventually settling on the explanation that The Kessel Run involves travelling a precarious route through a cluster of black holes, so taking the shortest possible path through it is a major achievement. This is all a completely stupid exercise based on taking Han at face value and not moving to the much simpler conclusion that "making the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs" is just some impressive-sounding nonsense a shady smuggler pulled out of his rear end to impress two backwater rubes into thinking he was hot poo poo.

As I am wont to bring up, the "you'll be dead!!" guy actually has the death sentence on 12 systems, because of loving course he does.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 22, 2021

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Yeah I have not much interest in theme parks nowadays but I was thoroughly fascinated throughout that video. A guy who made me interested in queues and logistics. Absolutely dotty

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

That Animal Kingdom reveal was absolutely incredible. :vince:

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

JordanKai posted:

That Animal Kingdom reveal was absolutely incredible. :vince:

Yeah, I already thought that that he pulled the big twist with "we actually hired an industrial engineer to build a model". Then that reveal happened and I realized that maybe some Disney Adults can put their obsession to good use.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

The more you think about it, the more you realize Star Wars is just a really extended prequel to Warhammer 40k.

No, Pokemon is the prequel to Warhammer 40k...

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Yeah I have not much interest in theme parks nowadays but I was thoroughly fascinated throughout that video. A guy who made me interested in queues and logistics. Absolutely dotty

Despite not actually liking theme parks that much, I find the history, the design decisions, and all the engineering that goes into them fascinating.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Yeah, that Defunctland video was great! I also really like how quickly his "FastPass system as visitor-devouring monster" metaphor gets weird...

"You could kill the monster, but you don't want to because you spent a billion dollars making it and some guests have befriended the monster and have really come to like it, so that would be sad for them..."

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

KingKalamari posted:

Yeah, that Defunctland video was great! I also really like how quickly his "FastPass system as visitor-devouring monster" metaphor gets weird...

"You could kill the monster, but you don't want to because you spent a billion dollars making it and some guests have befriended the monster and have really come to like it, so that would be sad for them..."

It's just this:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

StealthArcher posted:

It's just this:

Truly capitalism must be destroyed because it destroyed malls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Truly capitalism must be destroyed because it destroyed malls.

Incredible point missing. Just outstanding.