Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
the idea of a massive coverup to hide an incoming asteroid while the planet is openly being destroyed anyway is pretty fun- why bother with a coverup when you can outright deny the problem exists and call it a hoax until the fireball is visible in the sky to anyone with eyes let alone a scope, and then just claim it would be too expensive to deal with and why won't anyone think of the corporate profits and besides it hasn't hit yet so we can do something later and work towards net zero asteroid with the help of a distributed nonfungible blockchain run on smart fridges

if there was a secret squirrel mission to blow something up it would just have been sent up as a classified payload which is something that happens regularly for spy sats/other secret squirrel stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I did magic mushrooms once and not much happened except some guy we hadn't seen in ten years turned up at the flat out of the blue which was random. My dad, who is the poster boy for acid, declared that 'the magic of the mushrooms' :allears:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

therattle posted:

Succession is absolutely brilliant; one of the best things for years. It’s really phenomenally good. And the writer is spot-on: being very wealthy fucks you up in very specific ways. I don’t have a great deal of sympathy but he’s not wrong.

I know how they could sort that out: redistribution of wealth!

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, Succession is amazing and everyone should be watching it. It’s borderline a UK product as well, it’s written by Jesse Armstrong who co-wrote Peep Show and The Thick Of It. And it is basically about how that extreme level of wealth annihilates your soul. I seem to remember that years ago someone here on SA who works with the super rich wrote a long post about it which came to similar conclusions.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Thirsting Succession, absolutely staggeringly well written and acted. The theme tune slaps as well

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I think you can have a smidgeon of empathy with billionaire fail children because it's an incredibly hosed up environment to grow up in, but still wholeheartedly agree that they're first against the wall.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Boris and Keith having a contest to see who can gently caress up the most

And/or a drinking contest

It's like reverse chicken. Loser has to be PM.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Jakabite posted:

Thirsting Succession

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

therattle posted:

Succession is absolutely brilliant; one of the best things for years.

I'd never heard of this series before until your post.

I'm only 12 minutes into episode 1 and am already hooked. Thanks :)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Aphex- posted:

Just don't do what I did and then go on to watch freddy got fingered afterwards.
I remember when I was at uni going to a friend's house to watch Garth Marenghi's Dark Place, and her housemate had just come back from a chemical fuelled weekender in Basildon. Apparently he used to get as much as he could from the two dealers he knew in the student town, head to London and get more from a dude near the connection, then head home and connect with a couple of dealers there.

At the time we all thought his reactions were hilarious, but with the fact that he was on such a massive comedown, we probably should have gone and tucked him in and not let him sit - with a look of absolute horror on his face - watching the scene where Renwick has exploded.

Catpetter1981 posted:

"Then there are the struggles with purpose – the depression that sets in when you feel like you have no reason to get out of bed. Why bother going to work when the business you have built or inherited runs itself without you now? If all your necessities and much more were covered for the rest of your life – you might struggle with a lack of meaning and ambition too. My clients are often bored with life and too many times this leads to them chasing the next high – chemically or otherwise – to fill that void."

Astounding that they can publish with a straight face how the thing they keep saying is a weakness and a vice for the poor is actually to be pitied and supported among rich cunts who have more than enough money to fix the problem not only for themselves, but for everyone else - if they'd stop loving hoarding it.

Replace the non bolded parts with 'because you have no loving job and everything hurts when you attempt to do it' and you literally have the reason I don't get out of bed until 2 or 3, and that's usually only because I'm getting a headache. But no, I'm the one who's 'just being lazy' because 250 years ago some twat wrote a book conflating morality with economics while dossing around France, ironically, because a lord was paying him to.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Nov 23, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

DesperateDan posted:

the idea of a massive coverup to hide an incoming asteroid while the planet is openly being destroyed anyway is pretty fun- why bother with a coverup when you can outright deny the problem exists and call it a hoax until the fireball is visible in the sky to anyone with eyes let alone a scope, and then just claim it would be too expensive to deal with and why won't anyone think of the corporate profits and besides it hasn't hit yet so we can do something later and work towards net zero asteroid with the help of a distributed nonfungible blockchain run on smart fridges

if there was a secret squirrel mission to blow something up it would just have been sent up as a classified payload which is something that happens regularly for spy sats/other secret squirrel stuff

Funny thing is that spy birds are *much more* observed than other launches, there's a whole community of amateur spotters (plus presumably foreign intelligence agencies) who keep an eye on anything that flies out of Vandenburg or otherwise with the number plate blocked off, to the point that for a while the NRO were using their stealth satellite technology (probably actually just a big black sun shade) to hide from a bloke in Canada who kept posting their orbits to Usenet.

Definitely they're going to notice an unpublicised launch that suddenly went into an escape trajectory and make a lot more noise about it than they would of a publicised one heading away from Earth.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

250 years ago some twat wrote a book conflating morality with economics.
The Road to Serfdom wasn't that long ago.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Aphex- posted:

I went through a phase when I was younger of doing mushrooms quite often. I recommend taking a double dose and then mainlining a circus balloon full of nitrous if you want to see god and the centre of existence. Just don't do what I did and then go on to watch freddy got fingered afterwards.

Used to be (might still be) a shop in Camden that sold shroom chocolate under the table, and my friends and I used to do what we’d call ‘cocktail parties’, the idea being that the Daily Mail would describe us as being on a ‘cocktail’ of drugs.

One night on a combination of shrooms, ecstasy, a /lot/ of weed and 1200 nitrous canisters between four of us, we decided to watch Threads.

That was an experience.

(However, the physical utter /delight/ of that combination of substances is as close to divine as I’ve ever felt)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

The Road to Serfdom wasn't that long ago.
Wealth of Nations. The more I read, the more I blame Adam Smith for everything. Mostly because despite laying the groundwork for Malthusianist Keynsianism, he wrote his seminal work while dossing around France being paid by a Lord to lecture, and by his own admission wrote it because he was bored.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

It's still legal to buy mushroom growing kits and spores in the UK, supposedly, but not in the same transaction. So don't do that, or else.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Smith's views on the morality of rentiers and monopolists would lead to a lot more economic equality than what we have at present though, which is based off of 70s anti-tax and anti-regulation obsessives who read Hayek and Herbert Spencer and then named their thunk tanks after Smith.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Shrooms fudge when

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I see we're launching a rocket at a harmless asteroid or meteor or whatever it is to "test" if we can deflect it should we ever need to.

I can't decide whether this is cover for the fact they're lying and the rock is actually earthbound and this is our hopeless last ditch bruce willis attempt to save ourselves. This is why boris is sitting in a fairground talking about pigs or whatever, he knows its all pointless.

Or. Its exactly what they say, an innocent test run. But that they gently caress it up and deflect the angry rock right for us.

If you really wanna further break your brain in this manner come post with us in the cspam ufo thread :devil:

bonus points if you do it on mushrooms as well

Camrath posted:

Used to be (might still be) a shop in Camden that sold shroom chocolate under the table, and my friends and I used to do what we’d call ‘cocktail parties’, the idea being that the Daily Mail would describe us as being on a ‘cocktail’ of drugs.

One night on a combination of shrooms, ecstasy, a /lot/ of weed and 1200 nitrous canisters between four of us, we decided to watch Threads.

That was an experience.

(However, the physical utter /delight/ of that combination of substances is as close to divine as I’ve ever felt)

I honestly have no loving idea why you would ever do this to yourself/waste such an excellent combination of substances on such a miserable experience

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Camrath posted:

That was an experience.

One the one hand, why the gently caress would you do that, but on the other hand the day after my first time ever taking MDMA we decided to watch Requiem for a Dream, so 🤷🏻

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Barry Foster posted:

I honestly have no loving idea why you would ever do this to yourself/waste such an excellent combination of substances on such a miserable experience

You take the shrooms to make the experience more intense and meaningful, you take the MD so you don't get ptsd afterwards. You can watch a lot of unpleasant media like that.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I will always remember the day before shrooms were banned, because it coincided with the cinematic release of the Tom Cruise War of the World's. We took a bunch, saw that, had a blast, then bumped into a guy I didn't really like from school, then proceeded to have a genuinely lovely chat with him and came away in general bearing less animosity to people who I didn't really know that well.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
A friend has suggested that Boris Johnson’s antics filling the news is an attempt to distract from this:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AngelaRayner/status/1462798733511479308

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
This week's 10k posts podcast is about SA.

https://twitter.com/10kpostspod/status/1463108681579565057

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I must be a square as I've never felt the need to try drugs other than alcohol and even t now that's very light social.

My only infection to weed is the smell. I have done neighbors that like to partake, and the smell is a petsonal kryptonite.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Perfect Element posted:

I think you can have a smidgeon of empathy with billionaire fail children because it's an incredibly hosed up environment to grow up in, but still wholeheartedly agree that they're first against the wall.

Yeah, and it shows that perfectly. One watches them do absolutely awful things then it reveals a more human or vulnerable facet that juuust stops one hating them entirely and reminds one that they are people who were utterly hosed up by their upbringings and family dynamics - which it portrays staggeringly well.

fuctifino posted:

I'd never heard of this series before until your post.

I'm only 12 minutes into episode 1 and am already hooked. Thanks :)

My politics may not be sufficiently left for this thread but I do have good taste. :smug: (Also, recommending good stuff to people which they really enjoy is very gratifying).

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Barry Foster posted:

TACD posted:

One the one hand, why the gently caress would you do that, but on the other hand the day after my first time ever taking MDMA we decided to watch Requiem for a Dream, so 🤷🏻

My close friends and I share a somewhat morbid fascination with nuclear obliteration and disaster (one similar night we ended up reading Wikipedia articles about nuclear accidents to each other for hours, then wrote a punk song about the Demon Core). Also frankly our mental health wasn’t in the best place at the time.

But yeah, I’ll sit and watch The War Game for pleasure, for example.

I do in fact have nothing but fond memories of that night. The sheer intensity of the emotions the film stirred up in combination with the drugs was almost orgasmically intense. I think we watched the initial strike scene about three times over.

I feel I should add this was at the tail end of the noughties, and we’re all in much better places emotionally and mentally now.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The Perfect Element posted:

I will always remember the day before shrooms were banned, because it coincided with the cinematic release of the Tom Cruise War of the World's. We took a bunch, saw that, had a blast, then bumped into a guy I didn't really like from school, then proceeded to have a genuinely lovely chat with him and came away in general bearing less animosity to people who I didn't really know that well.
The day before shrooms were banned I was at a festival (GuilFest) and all the stalls were having a massive blowout sale of all their stock :parrot:

We gave some to some women who'd never tried shrooms before and had a blast, then ended up sat around in the festival ground somewhere long after it had closed for the night smoking weed, spinning poi and generally being dirty hippies. It was great and I am nostalgic for my well-misspent youth.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I was a drunk when I was a teenager/young man but in hindsight that was in self-conscious imitation of pretty much all of the adults in my life, it wasn't rebellious at all, it was Normal. It was misspent but not in the good way

now I seem to be having some sort of hosed up second adolescence but this time actually indulging in the unconventionality, rebelliousness and drug use I was too afraid to go in for when I was the appropriate age. I'm honestly not sure if it's me being pathetically childish or actually "growing up" by not giving a gently caress what other people think anymore, I vacillate between the two opinions constantly

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Barry Foster posted:

I was a drunk when I was a teenager/young man but in hindsight that was in self-conscious imitation of pretty much all of the adults in my life, it wasn't rebellious at all, it was Normal. It was misspent but not in the good way

now I seem to be having some sort of hosed up second adolescence but this time actually indulging in the unconventionality, rebelliousness and drug use I was too afraid to go in for when I was the appropriate age. I'm honestly not sure if it's me being pathetically childish or actually "growing up" by not giving a gently caress what other people think anymore, I vacillate between the two opinions constantly

Tbh I did the exact same. My ‘teenage years’ were basically age 25-30 where I did all the stupid stuff teens do, but with the added bonus of having money and a car.

Unwise hookups, playing in a garage band, doing stupid amounts of stupid drugs, staying up all night and travelling all over the place on a whim are a lot easier when you own your own house and car and thus have no curfew or need to ask others for money. I spent most of that period working 50-70 hour weeks at a decent (for the time) hourly rate so always was flush for adventure and misadventure.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Camrath posted:

Tbh I did the exact same. My ‘teenage years’ were basically age 25-30 where I did all the stupid stuff teens do, but with the added bonus of having money and a car.

Unwise hookups, playing in a garage band, doing stupid amounts of stupid drugs, staying up all night and travelling all over the place on a whim are a lot easier when you own your own house and car and thus have no curfew or need to ask others for money. I spent most of that period working 50-70 hour weeks at a decent (for the time) hourly rate so always was flush for adventure and misadventure.

Eh, I think mid-twenties is still essentially adolescent, or at least definitely not properly "adult" or "grown-up".

I'm 35 lol

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Barry Foster posted:

Eh, I think mid-twenties is still essentially adolescent, or at least definitely not properly "adult" or "grown-up".

I'm 35 lol

Tbf the one thing that made me settle down and mature a bit was meeting an amazing woman just before I turned 30 and falling madly in love; being in a strong, secure relationship made me realise how much more I had at stake and made me grow as a person.

I realise just how lucky I was in this, especially considering my dating pool at the time consisted of:

1. Furries

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

We got another one:

https://twitter.com/CouncillorPaul_/status/1463130394019209222

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It must absolutely boil his piss not having a blue tick.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Still that passive-voice "sent from my account" bullshit, which at this point makes me think he's actually protecting whoever did post it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Still that passive-voice "sent from my account" bullshit, which at this point makes me think he's actually protecting whoever did post it.

You think so? I thought it was just a weaselly way of saying, "It came from my account, you can't prove it was me so maybe it wasn't" while staying within the realms of what he's been legally required to say.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Camrath posted:

Tbf the one thing that made me settle down and mature a bit was meeting an amazing woman just before I turned 30 and falling madly in love; being in a strong, secure relationship made me realise how much more I had at stake and made me grow as a person.

I realise just how lucky I was in this, especially considering my dating pool at the time consisted of:

1. Furries

Conversely, the one that thing sent my second adolescence stratospheric was being in an utterly terrible and miserable relationship where I came to some sort of conclusion that my life was now over and was entirely in the hands of someone I couldn't stand, so I 'secretly rebelled' to get some perceived independence back. That's what guilt will do to you. Of course now I realise could've broken it off at any time I wanted but for some reason it felt impossible or I'd be a bad person for doing it.

Remember kids, always :sever: when unhappy, you'll be better off in the long run!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Pablo Bluth posted:

My only infection to weed is the smell. I have done neighbors that like to partake, and the smell is a petsonal kryptonite.

The best way to fix this problem is to smoke weed.

No seriously, I hated the smell until I smoked it, and now I love the smell. It rewired my brain :)

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I thoroughly recommend foraging for liberty caps, or hell, just foraging in general, to all goons.

Every year, a bunch of us go to this amazing spot in Wales, hire an Airbnb, pick shrooms in the mountains all day, then go home and brew them all up in tea.

The foraging itself is just such a lovely way to spend a few hours. It's very peaceful, and you really have an opportunity to have some great conversations, or just be alone with your thoughts while focusing on a simple activity. Plus, you know, if you have a successful day then you can get delightfully high in the evening as well.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gort posted:

You think so? I thought it was just a weaselly way of saying, "It came from my account, you can't prove it was me so maybe it wasn't" while staying within the realms of what he's been legally required to say.

Maybe, but there was also a very different tone to the "posting through it" phase he went through on the day - it all had the feel of a much more "online" person than he appears to be. Probably nothing, but I just feel like there's more here than meets the eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Max Schrems - the guy behind noyb.eu and thorn in the side of Zuckerberg and facebook not facebook meta has just referred the entire Irish Data Protection Commission to the Austrian police's corruption department because they've effectively told him, as party to a case against Facebook, to sign an NDA or be removed from the case entirely - and then they actually removed him.

:lol:

https://noyb.eu/en/irish-dpc-removes-noyb-gdpr-procedure-criminal-report-filed