Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

mod sassinator posted:

This is just from the last 3 pages or so, i'm not going to waste more time going further. There is a strong sentiment that runs through this thread and is constantly repeated, "I'm vaccinated; I don't need to worry about the pandemic anymore"

I really don't understand what exactly it is that you want with these constant meltdowns in this thread. Like, even if you somehow managed to get literally every single person in this thread to agree with you that China is great, actually, and USA is bad, etc. what have you really accomplished?

Is it possible that you've been so on tilt lately because your (presumed) self-isolation has done a number on your mood and outlook on life? Is that what you want for everyone else? To be miserable like you? Because you certainly sound miserable. All. The. loving. Time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

I really don't understand what exactly it is that you want with these constant meltdowns in this thread. Like, even if you somehow managed to get literally every single person in this thread to agree with you that China is great, actually, and USA is bad, etc. what have you really accomplished?

Is it possible that you've been so on tilt lately because your (presumed) self-isolation has done a number on your mood and outlook on life? Is that what you want for everyone else? To be miserable like you? Because you certainly sound miserable. All. The. loving. Time.

I'm responding to posts that are asking explicit things like, how did you know delta was going to be so bad? What is your solution to the pandemic now? etc. Sorry you're not going to be able to construe that as a 'meltdown' of uncalled for posts.

And very nice, now the thread posters are falling back on the mental health AKA "seek therapy" berating. Don't we have an explicit thread rule against that here because it has been such a problem in this thread?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Smeef posted:

All that said, as someone else noted, comparative historical Covid performance isn't really helpful for discussing what countries can do after Covid is already running rampant. The package of testing, tracing, quarantines, etc., works as long as the inflow is a drip. Not so much once the bathtub is overflowing.

Japan does not agree with your statement:

COVID was running rampant after the olympics, yet they've now gotten cases down to near zero (like China) and are staying there. We absolutely should figure out what worked for them to go from an overflowing bathtub of cases to nothing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Smeef posted:

But there are also differences that I can't explain. Maybe it comes down to luck.
There is definitely an element of luck.

A few weeks before the big outbreak that kicked off the poo poo in Australian and NZ there was a an unsourced case of delta in Sydney which ended up infecting one (1) other person (I suspect the success in dealing with this wave lead to some complacency). Queensland has seen several small outbreaks of Delta and has prevented most of them from escalating without resorting to lockdowns.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

mod sassinator posted:

I'm responding to posts that are asking explicit things like, how did you know delta was going to be so bad? What is your solution to the pandemic now? etc. Sorry you're not going to be able to construe that as a 'meltdown' of uncalled for posts.

And very nice, now the thread posters are falling back on the mental health AKA "seek therapy" berating. Don't we have an explicit thread rule against that here because it has been such a problem in this thread?

I don't really care if you seek therapy or whatever, and certainly didn't make such a suggestion. I simply made the observation that you sound absolutely miserable in every thread you post, and get into protracted arguments with people who dare disagree that things are terrible and that anyone who refuses to self-isolate is simply irresponsible and selfish, etcetera etcetera.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

I don't really care if you seek therapy or whatever, and certainly didn't make such a suggestion. I simply made the observation that you sound absolutely miserable in every thread you post, and get into protracted arguments with people who dare disagree that things are terrible and that anyone who refuses to self-isolate is simply irresponsible and selfish, etcetera etcetera.

The IK of this thread posted last month in a response that they acknowledged this thread was known as "the bad thread" and weren't really sure what to do about it.

Perhaps... and this is a wild, wild assertion... perhaps the small set of posters who continue to post garbage like "Is that what you want for everyone else? To be miserable like you? Because you certainly sound miserable. All. The. loving. Time." are what make this known as "the bad thread".

Looking back at the last pages of responses to me... the sinophobia, the mental health questioning, the gaslighting. Is that what this thread is proud of?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Omobono posted:

Or we could start probating harshly those poo poo takes, since they make idiots like mod sassinator look sane and knowledgeable by comparison.

Illuminti posted:

Dear god you are insufferable.

Just highlighting for this page what goes unchallenged in this thread. Is this what the moderation team here is proud of seeing?

edit:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

D&D should be a place on the forums where people can post thoughtfully about their widely varying political opinions, defend them with words, and destroy them with words, all without getting personal or nasty about it. Posts are required to be funny, informative, and/or interesting and if you can't manage that, you stick to lurking. You are expected to put in effort if you're going to post and back up what you say.

Ideally, anyone reading such a forum could consistently click on a thread, read widely varying opinions on something, and feel like they better understand an issue, regardless of what they come away believing about the situation. They can expect to be able to share their opinions without suffering personal attacks for them, and in turn are not allowed to levy such personal attacks against others.

Emphasis mine. Do the last pages represent the ideals of D&D that Jeffrey lays out?

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Nov 23, 2021

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

mod sassinator posted:

Japan does not agree with your statement:

COVID was running rampant after the olympics, yet they've now gotten cases down to near zero (like China) and are staying there. We absolutely should figure out what worked for them to go from an overflowing bathtub of cases to nothing.

So what has Japan done, and can it be sustained? I'm genuinely interested, as I can't recall any Japan discussion here. Some qualitative information would be useful since comparing numbers and charts can only get us so far.

I see that Japan has had two other sharp spikes, too (cases were lower but deaths much higher). Other countries have also gone from spikes to low numbers. I'm not sure how many have really seek huge spikes followed by sustained zero cases. Taiwan comes to mind, but the 'huge spike' was nothing compared to rates in the US and UK. For that matter, Japan's charts look pretty flat compared to the US and UK (population adjusted). That's not to say they didn't manage to gain control of a runaway situation, but I do suspect that scale matters here.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

mod sassinator posted:

Just highlighting for this page what goes unchallenged in this thread. Is this what the moderation team here is proud of seeing?

edit:

Emphasis mine. Do the last pages represent the ideals of D&D that Jeffrey lays out?

People like you are what drive everyone out, because you don't want to discuss anything but instead scream about the same poo poo endlessly and never acknowledge when you are wrong or incorrect. It's literally all you've done for months. You are the exact opposite of what Jeff was talking about.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Japan has a culture of controlling sickness. People wore masks before covid to avoid getting and spreading sickness. They'll also probably continue to do this.

They have a robust medical care system.

Gonna guess those two things are carrying most of the weight of controlling covid there in addition to vaccinations. Things that work culturally there.

Good luck getting that mindset to set in within the US!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

mod sassinator posted:

What *IS* your justification for extreme isolation at this point? You’ve had vaccination (possibly more than three) AND talk about an expensive respirator you own. What do you get out of also self isolating? Why can’t you see friends or family or go places? Is there a level of protection you could imagine that you feel like you could leave the house safely wearing?

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Smeef posted:

I think China and Covid are divisive (aside from China being a divisive topic in general on this forum) because both sides in the argument end up conflating authoritarianism and Covid performance.

A lot of what China has done to effectively manage Covid has not been as extreme as people imagine, including the pro-China camp who think it's some sort of vindication of human rights abuses. Yes, some of what they've done has been authoritarian or beyond the means of other states, and lord knows there has been a lot of authoritarian poo poo they've done during Covid (authoritarianism with Covid, not from Covid! :q:). But try to disconnect those.

Other places applied similar strategies and got similar results for a long time. Take Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan, Australia, and New Zealand for example. Hell, Singapore and parts of Australia seemed to even stricter policies than China at times. There may be others but none come immediately to mind. It's not a natural experiment, but that's a pretty drat broad spectrum of governments and cultures. If the rest of the world had taken similar approaches, we might be in a very different place now.

Yes, Singapore, Australia, and New Zealand have "given up" on Zero Covid strategies. But that doesn't mean they've dropped everything. In terms of deaths they're still flat lines compared to the US or UK. It's not even obvious to me how substantially different their policies are pre- and post-Zero Covid. I also don't think China will stick to the Zero Covid line much longer, certainly not indefinitely.

But there are also differences that I can't explain. Maybe it comes down to luck. I don't know how NZ came to struggle with an outbreak but somewhere like HK has not. NZ has a smaller and younger population spread across a vastly larger and more isolated area. I used to live in NZ, and it was pretty drat easy to go outside and see nobody, much less share a room with them for 15 minutes. In HK, I can hear my neighbors taking dumps, and there's a retirement home that takes up two floors of my building. NZ struggled with gangs or something like that. Last week we had a goddamn triad street brawl in the middle of the city. Maybe people are more responsible compared to American death cultists going to arm wrestling competitions during Covid, but Chinese are hardly the risk-averse, rule-abiding drones that some seem to think.

All that said, as someone else noted, comparative historical Covid performance isn't really helpful for discussing what countries can do after Covid is already running rampant. The package of testing, tracing, quarantines, etc., works as long as the inflow is a drip. Not so much once the bathtub is overflowing.

Thanks. This is a good effort-post and I'm half empty-quoting it to make sure it isn't missed.

I personally am not terribly familiar with pandemic efforts in the nations you mention, but I enjoy reading and learning from posters outside the US. It seems to me like Aus/NZ (and others who aren't as represented itt) have had similar restrictions to China and it's kinda narrrow to point to China's successes while ignoring Aus/NZ... which are much more similar to the US if you want to compare/contrast responses and results.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Nov 23, 2021

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Realistically it's because mostly they are posting to get reactions to take back to the CSPAM thread.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

mod sassinator posted:

This is just from the last 3 pages or so, i'm not going to waste more time going further. There is a strong sentiment that runs through this thread and is constantly repeated, "I'm vaccinated; I don't need to worry about the pandemic anymore"

If you're vaccinated, why do you particularly need to worry? (And "Don't need to worry" =/= "pandemic is over so I'm never wearing a mask again," by the way.)

COVID is endemic. It will continue to circulate forever. Therefore, you are going to catch it one day. Why continue to live in a self-imposed cage when you will inevitably, eventually, catch it from a place you can't avoid - the doctor or the dentist or the grocery store or the petrol station?

Smeef posted:

Yes, Singapore, Australia, and New Zealand have "given up" on Zero Covid strategies. But that doesn't mean they've dropped everything. In terms of deaths they're still flat lines compared to the US or UK. It's not even obvious to me how substantially different their policies are pre- and post-Zero Covid.

With zero COVID (or to use the govt's preferred term, "no community transmission") the strategy was lockdown every time there was a quarantine leak and the purpose of that lockdown was to stamp cases down to zero. Rinse and repeat.

Now that we're at like 90% of adults fully vaccinated and have determined hard lockdowns don't eliminate Delta, I don't think we'll ever see lockdowns again, but QR code check-ins remain in place and proof of vaccination is required to go to pubs, restaurants etc. (Having said that NSW is dropping that requirement in December, and in Victoria the premier says it's staying "indefinitely" but I've not yet been checked anywhere I've gone.) Masks still required in retail and on public transit.

It's been jarring to realise that when European countries have been "returning to lockdown" a lot of the time what they mean is they're just implementing stuff Australia has kept in place. It's baffling to me - if you've spent months on end locked in your home (and every European has at some point) the idea that having to scan a QR code at a pub or wear a mask on the train is a "lockdown" is a joke.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
I think it's pretty obvious a hard enough lockdown works against any disease and the Aus/NZ lockdowns failed due to dwindling compliance and inadequate enforcement.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

UCS Hellmaker posted:

People like you are what drive everyone out, because you don't want to discuss anything but instead scream about the same poo poo endlessly and never acknowledge when you are wrong or incorrect. It's literally all you've done for months. You are the exact opposite of what Jeff was talking about.

Hey remember when you called me a dumb rear end for asking for a citation from someone to support their claim? Is that what Jeff was talking about?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

mod sassinator posted:

Was it a PCR test? Definitely quarantine if so.. they don't usually get false positives and if you're positive on PCR you are likely shedding enough virus to infect people.

If it's a rapid test, test again and get a PCR to ultimately confirm. Pretend you're still positive and isolate though.

Some documented cases have remained positive for 40+ days.. it's rare but can happen.

I thought it was the opposite with PCR vs rapid/antigen testing? PCR can pop positive for a long time for some people because it'll pick up then shedding dead RNA fragments. But if a rapid test pops positive, you are pretty likely shedding infectious virus.

But a negative rapid test isn't a guarantee that you're good to go since it's not as sensitive.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

brugroffil posted:

I thought it was the opposite with PCR vs rapid/antigen testing? PCR can pop positive for a long time for some people because it'll pick up then shedding dead RNA fragments. But if a rapid test pops positive, you are pretty likely shedding infectious virus.

He knows, he's trying to mess with the guy, try to get him to take the test that will invariably falsely show him as positive (since he was recently infected) then play out some dumb "don't trust those lying doctors" and try to freak him out about it.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

PCR won't "falsely" show positive, and rapid tests have known false negative issues. Some people really do seem to remain infectious for longer periods outside of the normal range, and the normal range itself is longer than 10 days. You can't derive infectious-or-not with perfect accuracy from either test. Erring on the side of not infecting others is the better option imo.

My health department cleared me 7 days after my positive test for some reason. I took a rapid test on Sunday (day 10) and tested negative. I'm still staying at my home for a couple more days because it's not that big of a deal to do so.

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Nov 23, 2021

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Can this thread go a day without trying to guess the true intentions of posters

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Wang Commander posted:

I think it's pretty obvious a hard enough lockdown works against any disease and the Aus/NZ lockdowns failed due to dwindling compliance and inadequate enforcement.

One possible difference I see is that places like HK and Taiwan are able to target lockdowns with more precision, which enables a kind of whack-a-mole with hard lockdowns that doesn't grind down the entire population. I can't speak as much about the Taiwan experience, but in HK, there has never been a true, general lockdown. It has always been highly specific, down to single housing estates, and for brief periods of time. My understanding (which could be completely wrong) is that Australia is just a state-level policy. So you've got people in Wagga Wagga getting locked down because of cases in Bondi. In HK, it's more like a case in Bondi locks down Bondi, but Tamarama is business as usual.

I suspect the data systems play a role in this, too, though. From the start HK has had a live map where you can see case data down to the age, sex, source (e.g., imported, local), and address of cases. Also since almost everyone lives in high rises, showing up at the door and locking down is a lot easier with fewer authorities to enforce it.

Compliance has not been and is not always great here. People have broken quarantine and caused outbreaks. People have held private parties well beyond allowed limits and caused outbreaks. Rich grannies were bringing in gigolos on speedboats from the mainland for the 'intergenerational dance scene.' People nosedick left and right, pack out public transportation and restaurants, and use fake check-in apps to mask their movements. I am sure that compliance plays a part, but having seen HK, multiple parts of the US, and multiple parts of Europe during Covid, I don't think HK compliance has been that different (with the exception of the American South, where I saw a truck stop overflowing with people attending an armwrestling competition during the height of Covid deaths).

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

brugroffil posted:

PCR won't "falsely" show positive, and rapid tests have known false negative issues. Some people really do seem to remain infectious for longer periods outside of the normal range, and the normal range itself is longer than 10 days. You can't derive infectious-or-not with perfect accuracy from either test. Erring on the side of not infecting others is the better option imo.

If you have cleared an infection it will still show on a PCR test for quite some time. Until all the dead virus fragments are gone from your body.

Is there ANY evidence that someone testing negative on antigen tests after an infection is meaningfully infectious and that that is common enough you should throw out legitimate medical advice, and then make up your own medical protocol based on shopping through different tests till you find one that gives you the result you like (eternal covid)

If you are testing negative on antigen test after an infection you are fine. You really are. To any sane standard.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Smeef posted:

My understanding (which could be completely wrong) is that Australia is just a state-level policy. So you've got people in Wagga Wagga getting locked down because of cases in Bondi. In HK, it's more like a case in Bondi locks down Bondi, but Tamarama is business as usual.

Some of the restrictions applied state-wide (eg border crossings) but it has been fairly common to have the capital city under different restrictions to the rest of the state. Sometimes this is applied on a simple two-tier system (capital vs regional), sometimes there is a more discrete system.

Postcode/local government area based restrictions were applied several times in within capital cities to varying levels of success. One of the outbreaks in Sydney over Christmas 2020 was centered around a peninsula on the northern side of the city. This area could be effectively isolated from the rest of the city by few road closure (sadly this could not be made permanent). This is the most successful example.

In both the 2020 outbreak in Melbourne and the 2021 delta outbreak in Sydney the state government tried postcode / local government area (LGA) based lockdowns initially but then resorted to city-wide measures. As the delta outbreak accelerated further the suburbs most affected were placed under additional restrictions, including mandatory surveillance testing of essential workers and a huge police presence. While the outbreak had started in the rich eastern suburbs the harsher lockdown measures were imposed on poorer suburbs which had higher percentages of migrant families, essential jobs that couldn't be done wfh, and were much less likely to vote for the state government. Combined with the problems with financial support it lead to the belief that the state government was being prejudiced in who it expected to shoulder the burden.

There was clearly a degree of arbitrariness in the LGA lockdowns too. Some areas avoided the harsher restrictions despite having caseloads far higher than suburbs included. Due to misinformation about the dangers of outdoor exposure there was animosity over people using beaches and parks (right near where the delta outbreak began) while people at the other end of the city were forced to remain inside.

E: The LGA of concern approach did partially work though. There was considerable leakage but all through the outbreak the cases remained most heavily concentrated in that half of Sydney. It also gave clear aims for the vaccination with specific industries and LGAS receiving preferential treatment and targeted programs. Why Sydney's delta wave ended up differently to Melbourne's is a very tricky question to answer but this probably had a part to play.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 23, 2021

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Is there ANY evidence that someone testing negative on antigen tests after an infection is meaningfully infectious and that that is common enough you should throw out legitimate medical advice,

What is the evidence that they aren't? Do you have a citation you can provide for this?

At least in Illinois, if you want to "early release" option for quarantine, they specifically require a negative PCR test.

e: the context this question first came up was someone who is still at least mildly symptomatic.

Iirc there was never new evidence or data that indicated the infectious period was shorter. The CDC dropped quarantine and isolation to 10 days because they believed more people would comply with at least 10 days, whereas with 14 days more people would stop short of even day 10. So continuing to take the more cautious route for a few extra days is reasonable.

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 23, 2021

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I love how we're in a constant state of refusing to ever learn from the past.

Every time covid recedes a bit: the pandemic is over, I don't want to hear about lockdowns, back to brunch everybody, no cases won't go right back up you're just an incel shut-in! Just because they went back up every other time doesn't mean it will happen again, It's Different This Time!

Cases go right back up when everybody goes to brunch, obviously: nobody could have predicted this, well it's too late now, stop talking about "could have beens"!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

brugroffil posted:

What is the evidence that they aren't? Do you have a citation you can provide for this?

At least in Illinois, if you want to "early release" option for quarantine, they specifically require a negative PCR test.

e: the context this question first came up was someone who is still at least mildly symptomatic.

Iirc there was never new evidence or data that indicated the infectious period was shorter. The CDC dropped quarantine and isolation to 10 days because they believed more people would comply with at least 10 days, whereas with 14 days more people would stop short of even day 10. So continuing to take the more cautious route for a few extra days is reasonable.

He literally took a test saying he was negative. After the amount of time that he would likely be negative.

There is no reason he should trust some random goon telling him to retest (on a test that is nearly guartined to show him positive for weeks after an infection) over his own medical tests recommended by actual medical professionals.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

So, again, no actual evidence for your definitive statements. Antigen tests are known to produce false negatives.

e: ffs he said he tested positive yesterday and is symptomatic what on earth are you even talking about

Contact tracers are also not "medical professionals" and he was initially quarantining rather than isolating. I'm pretty sure a positive test during quarantine resets your clock and now you're isolating.

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Nov 23, 2021

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I've settled with the fact that the US in particular is not capable of dealing with biological threats. Our culture prevents collective action to the point of death to hundreds of thousands of individuals. People's brains are so warped that they can't accept useful information that breaks with their worldview.

My kids unfortunately brought it home from school recently and both got it within a day of each other. Right before their appointment to get their first shot too . My wife is on immunosuppressants and luckily did not get sick. I got a very minor level of symptoms and got through it.

I'll keep wearing my N95, and doing the best I can, but it just seems like covid is here to stay. Nobody in my area is masking anymore, and numbers in Colorado are trending I'm the wrong direction.

It's just frustrating and it doesn't seem like something that can be fixed it even managed. Complaining about it just seems even more pointless.

Smarter people answer me this. If the US and other countries can't get covid under control, isn't it a matter of time until countries that are doing better just flare up again starting the cycle anew when the next variant comes along? What's the actual path to making any of this better from where we are not where we wish we were? Or is it just buckle up buckaroos?

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Platystemon posted:

Yes.

The odds of a “fully vaccinated” person between thirty and forty‐nine years old dying of COVID in the first week of October, the most recent week for which data is available, is comparable to their odds of dying as an occupant of a motor vehicle.

We spend a lot of effort and resources adding and maintaining crash barriers rubble strips and cat’s eyes. Cars are constantly getting more safety features. People will spend thousands of dollars for a safer vehicle and no one bats an eye at that.

With the pandemic, it’s like if we had installed knotted bed sheets as seatbelts in our cars in March of 2020 when there was a materials shortage and never bothered to upgrade to three‐point harnesses with nylon straps when they became available. The treasury cannot spare the expense of eighty‐cent N95s, and the public, even many medical professionals, consider them “overkill”.

We're currently spending money coming up with a drug that prevents covid death once you contract the disease. Medical science is advancing on treating it. We're still handing out boosters for the vaccine.

Platystemon posted:

If someone tells you that almost no fully‐vaccinated non‐elderly people are dying, you tell them that that’s as ridiculous as saying almost no one is dying in car crashes.

I still drove to work today. I don't kiss my wife and kid a tearful, final goodbye every time I go to the grocery. I don't even like driving, but the real-world risk of car wrecks does not justify a massive fear on my part of dying every time I get into one, and avoiding cars altogether.

Similarly, I'm not at all afraid that I'll die of Covid, because I am triple vaxxed and not even 40 yet.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Nov 23, 2021

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

VitalSigns posted:

I love how we're in a constant state of refusing to ever learn from the past.

Every time covid recedes a bit: the pandemic is over, I don't want to hear about lockdowns, back to brunch everybody, no cases won't go right back up you're just an incel shut-in! Just because they went back up every other time doesn't mean it will happen again, It's Different This Time!

Cases go right back up when everybody goes to brunch, obviously: nobody could have predicted this, well it's too late now, stop talking about "could have beens"!
So, I'll just go down this path again since this thread is hyper-focused on federal response.

Federal response doesn't mean poo poo at this point. Federal rules and regulations don't mean poo poo. Biden could waltz out, declare a hard two-week lockdown and it wouldn't mean poo poo.

Local response - not even states, we're talking counties and cities - are what controls brunch, bars, etc. You can sure get plenty of compliance in bigger cities (though much of even that is at this point voluntary if those are in red states).

But in those red counties? Small towns? The vast majority of territory (by area, not population) in the United States? It doesn't matter. There's zero measures taken to stop or slow covid. There's no enforcement mechanisms to make them care. Who would you rely on - the chud County sheriff? Local chud cops who want to eat out and who go to those small town bars?

Any response from anyone that doesn't get hyper-local simply doesn't matter at this point. Nobody in those little towns cares what the federal government says. They haven't since April or May 2020 - if not earlier. They care what their aunt in Facebook shares, or what Tucker Carlson says, etc.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
With vaccines now fully politicized the temptation to have an "accidental lab leak" of smallpox to swing the midterms has to be so huge.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Don't tell my boss because I took a sick day anyway, but I'm just under 24 hours in post booster and bonus flu shot and I feel pretty OK. Slept like poo poo last night and had chills and weird fever dreams, arm has been a little sore, but other than that it's nothing like shot #2.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Don't tell my boss because I took a sick day anyway, but I'm just under 24 hours in post booster and bonus flu shot and I feel pretty OK. Slept like poo poo last night and had chills and weird fever dreams, arm has been a little sore, but other than that it's nothing like shot #2.

Same here, heard from various friends and family about how the booster was worse, but I felt way more normal after the booster. Shot 2 gave me a super sore arm and a pounding headache when I woke up the next day, booster gave me a barely sore arm for the evening. Hell, shot 1 was worse than this

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It's unfortunate that with only one country still seeing the sort of success every country had hoped for at the start, they become the focal point to the point of becoming a sort of thought terminating cliche in some capacity for all involved. You can doubt the numbers and that's fine, pretty much everybody is probably running with an undercount even if such was not intended, just by the nature of the disease being novel. One thing to keep in mind however is that China isn't exactly a hermit kingdom, there's plenty of people who spend lots of time there and here that you can just straight up ask how things are going, and the measures being taken there are extremely popular (as they were here, but what most people want or think doesn't factor into media coverage or policy here)

Similarly, excoriating everybody here as some sort of shambling brunch lib caricature when trollingly dismissive stuff actually gets probed and the general theme is "this sucks but containment obviously is never going to actually happen, so where do we go from here", I've gotta ask just what exactly is the point? I don't care if someone wants to vent but posting at the moon about vague thread enemies when nobody here has any idea of a path forward with no COVID, who cares. There's no help coming from above, we're all essentially on our own, let's post about it.

Wang Commander posted:

With vaccines now fully politicized the temptation to have an "accidental lab leak" of smallpox to swing the midterms has to be so huge.

Interested in how you think this would play out in reality such that it would be limited to your perceived political enemies, or if you are unfamiliar enough with the disease to not realize how deeply psychotic a thing this is to say

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I've settled with the fact that the US in particular is not capable of dealing with biological threats. Our culture prevents collective action to the point of death to hundreds of thousands of individuals. People's brains are so warped that they can't accept useful information that breaks with their worldview.

My kids unfortunately brought it home from school recently and both got it within a day of each other. Right before their appointment to get their first shot too . My wife is on immunosuppressants and luckily did not get sick. I got a very minor level of symptoms and got through it.

I'll keep wearing my N95, and doing the best I can, but it just seems like covid is here to stay. Nobody in my area is masking anymore, and numbers in Colorado are trending I'm the wrong direction.

It's just frustrating and it doesn't seem like something that can be fixed it even managed. Complaining about it just seems even more pointless.

Smarter people answer me this. If the US and other countries can't get covid under control, isn't it a matter of time until countries that are doing better just flare up again starting the cycle anew when the next variant comes along? What's the actual path to making any of this better from where we are not where we wish we were? Or is it just buckle up buckaroos?

We are 50 semi-independent nations that sort of hold together for highway funding and protection by the most overfunded military in the world and the markets it creates and protects access to, a nation defined by regional difference and the rural-urban divide and all the contradictions that entails. The gambit for China and other countries I may be missing who are trying to maintain low levels through traditional methods is probably to keep it from going nuts until vaccination is universal and other therapies to reduce hospitalizations and severity are developed

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Epic High Five posted:

Interested in how you think this would play out in reality such that it would be limited to your perceived political enemies, or if you are unfamiliar enough with the disease to not realize how deeply psychotic a thing this is to say

I think it's a horrible thought but now that we've seen how polarized disease response and vaccine uptake is by party and more generally by nation, it puts biowar back on the menu in an imo really uncomfortable way, and the world is run by deeply psychotic people. Covid is to biowar what "hypersonic gliders coming over the South Pole" is to nuclear war, it reveals a state of affairs that can seem appetizing to sick warhawks and spook types. A whole lot of identifiable groups looking like sitting ducks to a terrorist or state actor.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Wang Commander posted:

I think it's a horrible thought but now that we've seen how polarized disease response and vaccine uptake is by party and more generally by nation, it puts biowar back on the menu in an imo really uncomfortable way, and the world is run by deeply psychotic people. Covid is to biowar what "hypersonic gliders coming over the South Pole" is to nuclear war, it reveals a state of affairs that can seem appetizing to sick warhawks and spook types. A whole lot of identifiable groups looking like sitting ducks to a terrorist or state actor.

Well smallpox biowar has always been on the menu, there's known gene modifications that can be done that can cause it to ignore existing vaccines entirely. Problem is it just doesn't stay local and everybody knows it, and both sides have the samples and tech.

The current manifestation we're seeing is people refusing things like rabies shots and then dying one of the most horrible deaths imaginable. Longer term it's gonna be a return of the old outbreaks that primarily harm children, which is really just a speeding up of a process already underway because there exists no political will or practical means to enforce it as the priorities of late empire are deeply psychotic almost without exception

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If you actually attacked people with a bioweapon then right-wingers would line up to get their shots because it's your patriotic duty and furthermore they would be passing ID requirements to keep them out of reach of poor people and immigrants etc and make sure white Christian businesses owners are first in line because they are deeply authoritarian. Just like when they were all buying duct tape and gas masks after 9/11

The reason they are resisting shots now is because their leaders spent a year telling them covid was fake and a trick by leftists to enslave them and that it's their duty to capitalism and freedom to get out there and spend and make number go up. Getting vaccinated now would mean that covid actually was serious and that the CDC wasn't making up a plannedemic. That's why they're not getting vaccinated, not because they just inherently don't believe in vaccines. Except for a few fringe Christian Science type nuts, conservatives trusted authority and vaccinated their kids against polio just a few short years ago.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

VitalSigns posted:

If you actually attacked people with a bioweapon then right-wingers would line up to get their shots because it's your patriotic duty and furthermore they would be passing ID requirements to keep them out of reach of poor people and immigrants etc and make sure white Christian businesses owners are first in line because they are deeply authoritarian. Just like when they were all buying duct tape and gas masks after 9/11

The reason they are resisting shots now is because their leaders spent a year telling them covid was fake and a trick by leftists to enslave them and that it's their duty to capitalism and freedom to get out there and spend and make number go up. Getting vaccinated now would mean that covid actually was serious and that the CDC wasn't making up a plannedemic. That's why they're not getting vaccinated, not because they just inherently don't believe in vaccines. Except for a few fringe Christian Science type nuts, conservatives trusted authority and vaccinated their kids against polio just a few short years ago.

The modern conservative is completely unable to admit weakness in any form. It's the whole root of the ideology, they wouldn't vax or accept treatment for anything ever, it's ideologically impossible. Someone find the reddit post that sums it up, I don't have it but you all know the one I mean.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

IIRC most of the smallpox vaccine stock was destroyed to save something on the order of a couple thousand dollars a year in electricity, but I'm sure there's enough for the sort of people who enjoyed first dibs on vaccines and testing when they were developed lol

Anti-vaxx stuff is one of the most bipartisan issues in this country though, Trump telling them explicitly to get vaccinated just got shrugged off and so would this. People would be screaming for someone else to do something, almost certainly something insanely violent and insane, it's the American way. Lining up to do the responsible thing though? Not likely, there's no shortage of reasons for people to convince themselves the smallpox vaccine is more dangerous than "natural immunity" and anybody they knew who ended up eating poo poo because of it would be with God now, or they were just weak, unlike them. America baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Wang Commander posted:

The modern conservative is completely unable to admit weakness in any form. It's the whole root of the ideology, they wouldn't vax or accept treatment for anything ever, it's ideologically impossible. Someone find the reddit post that sums it up, I don't have it but you all know the one I mean.
No they absolutely would if you framed a disease as an attack on them and getting vaccinated as their patriotic duty like toting guns everywhere to protect themselves from :airquote:crime:airquote: or letting the NSA open their mail and listen in on all their calls or submitting to nakey scanners at the airport or duct taping their windows in case Bin Laden attacks the Olive Garden

The reason they think masks and vaccines are signs of weakness or whatever is because their authorities framed them that way to encourage them to disregard covid last year. When their authorities want them to do something else like spend thousands of dollars on assault rifles to clutch in fear of antifa mobs they will do that and consider it a sign of manliness and power.

Epic High Five posted:

Anti-vaxx stuff is one of the most bipartisan issues in this country though, Trump telling them explicitly to get vaccinated just got shrugged off and so would this.

Imo that's just a consequence of telling them covid is fake and just the flu and the CDC lies for a whole year. You can't really do that and then go "ok folks get the vaccine time to listen to the good folks at the CDC!" of course they are going to boo, they think the CDC is trying to enslave them!
If terrorists did a biological weapon attack then all their authorities would be united messaging fear and preparedness and national defense etc from day 1. None of them minded when the Bush administration required soldiers to get experimental anthrax vaccines because that was part of a coherent narrative about the war on terror and national security and freedom isn't free and the constitution isn't a suicide pact.

I mean whatever it's not like this hypothetical will happen but I think that's the thought process involved on the right