Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MediaPlayerClassic
Aug 24, 2012
Dave seems impossibly baffled that anyone thought the Rock would show up unadvertised, as the company continues to bring him up and talked up the 25th anniversary of his debut and had an entire battle royal dedicated to him and Roman talking poo poo,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

anyone who thought the rock would show up is bonkers, though.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
he did show up, i cheered during the clips from red notice

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

egg?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

sleepwalkers posted:

anyone who thought the rock would show up is bonkers, though.
Why?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Because all WWE does is disappoint its fans.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

sorta like when TNA suggested Sting was gonna return but instead it was Eric Young.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CombineThresher posted:

Because all WWE does is disappoint its fans.
Fair point, I suppose.

But "why would you be stupid enough to believe the false advertising" is a hell of a place for a wrestling promotion to be.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

LividLiquid posted:

Fair point, I suppose.

But "why would you be stupid enough to believe the false advertising" is a hell of a place for a wrestling promotion to be.

They've been there since at least SummerSlam.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Dave was also convinced Tony needed to announce Punk was gonna be there in Chicago or the arena wouldn't sell out. His beepboop robot brain doesn't understand implying something translating to expecting it

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

bryan's ranting about how he can't like matches where there are no consequences

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

It was great when the San Jose Steamroller shut down and just let Bryan rave about Nick Wayne and how good that match was. :3:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Wezlar posted:

It was great when the San Jose Steamroller shut down and just let Bryan rave about Nick Wayne and how good that match was. :3:

Yeah that was very :3:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Gaz-L posted:

Dave was also convinced Tony needed to announce Punk was gonna be there in Chicago or the arena wouldn't sell out. His beepboop robot brain doesn't understand implying something translating to expecting it

AEW correctly managed expectations and delivered. The crowd already knew what was up and didn't need any prompting.

WWE either hits you with a bludgeon that they're gonna bring someone in, or they don't bother and do it completely cold. There's no middle ground. Furthermore, if they feel the crowd isn't feeling it or spoiled themselves, they'll delay a debut.

I can see why AEW's approach would be confusing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bryan: I'M VERY HAPPY! :supaburn:

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

Fair point, I suppose.

two different problems there. one, yes it is a hell of a place to be, but it's a pattern. i mean, heck, they did it on their last big show. two, they never advertised an appearance by the rock.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

sleepwalkers posted:

two, they never advertised an appearance by the rock.

I didn't watch the show so I haven't got a clue what they did beyond what was described on B&V and Observer Radio/Live, but it sounded like they promoted Survivor Series like this re: The Rock:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Were pterodactyls around in the Cleopatra era?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Were pterodactyls around in the Cleopatra era?

Pterodactyls weren't fully extinct until the early 80s. Common misconception that they went extinct in ancient times.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Vertical Lime posted:

bryan's ranting about how he can't like matches where there are no consequences

GO AWAY! STOP LISTENING TO MY SHOW!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

sleepwalkers posted:

two different problems there. one, yes it is a hell of a place to be, but it's a pattern. i mean, heck, they did it on their last big show. two, they never advertised an appearance by the rock.
They absolutely did. Like, legally? Maybe not. Almost certainly not with Jerry McDevitt on your payroll. But this is wrestling. Doing a battle royal honoring the guy and talking up his anniversary absolutely tells fans that he'll be there and plausible deniability doesn't mean anything except you're just clever enough to want to deflect criticism.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Interesting to hear how as bad as the ratings are going for Roman that there have been a lot of bigger names that were worse draws for the house shows.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

LividLiquid posted:

They absolutely did. Like, legally? Maybe not. Almost certainly not with Jerry McDevitt on your payroll. But this is wrestling. Doing a battle royal honoring the guy and talking up his anniversary absolutely tells fans that he'll be there and plausible deniability doesn't mean anything except you're just clever enough to want to deflect criticism.

Maybe WWE is selecting their audience like that thing about how scammers make their scam dumb and obvious to only attract the stupidest people so they don't waste time trying to con smart people. Like only the dumbest of dumbs would fall for the idea that the Rock was showing up.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

1glitch0 posted:

Maybe WWE is selecting their audience like that thing about how scammers make their scam dumb and obvious to only attract the stupidest people so they don't waste time trying to con smart people. Like only the dumbest of dumbs would fall for the idea that the Rock was showing up.

With the latest news about the guy who tackled Rollins, you might be right.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

fez_machine posted:

With the latest news about the guy who tackled Rollins, you might be right.

Here's some context for those who haven't heard yet.
https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1463215216313970689?t=PnqH4TLOFfbKHr7JvamsMw&s=19

https://twitter.com/notKHRIS/status/1463209162247180298?t=PnEDji6JDhr2XCz7SBT0-g&s=19

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

The character Seth Rollins scammed him, the person, Colby Lopez, has only scammed the Iowan locals who let him open up a coffee shop

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh my God :cripes:

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Uh oh J-ru. What did Seth Rollins get you for

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Now now, I'm not foolish enough to give him money. He just contacted me on Steam to ask me to vote for his team, because he values and respects my opinion so much :hellyeah:

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

wwe won't even deliver on what they explicitly say will happen when the stakes and stars are much smaller, why would anyone earnestly believe they were teasing a surprise appearance?? he's a big enough star they would want to plaster that from wall to wall and they didn't, they are not aew, they are not skilled enough to tell you but not tell you.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

sleepwalkers posted:

wwe won't even deliver on what they explicitly say will happen when the stakes and stars are much smaller, why would anyone earnestly believe they were teasing a surprise appearance?? he's a big enough star they would want to plaster that from wall to wall and they didn't, they are not aew, they are not skilled enough to tell you but not tell you.

They are VERY good at the bait & switch though. The only thing they know how to do anymore is to get heat, and that requires teasing the audience so they invest before they pull the rug out. So were most folks sure that Rock wasn't showing? Sure, because we know Vince is a carny liar. But if you're still invested enough to believe WWE might give you what you want, the very mention of The Rock would pique your interest, and then the constant references, homages and hints would convince you that he very well could show up.

And when he doesn't, a group will give up on the product, another group will say they're teasing for Raw and another group will say "What were you expecting?" because they will never admit they're marks and will ride the sunk cost to the end.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

I'm finally getting around to listen to all the old B&V Impact reviews that are being uploaded on YouTube, and one question I have to ask is: When does Brent stop being on the show? Because holy gently caress that guy is an annoying distraction on the show.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
irish ship

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Outside of Christmas shows Brent has been on a dozen shows over 16 years. Are you just listening to some "Brent's in the mental hospital" compilations?

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

No, finished the Impact 2005 video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmLl0pMEf2E) and currently am listening to the January 2006 one, and Brent is giving me serious Steve 'The Turtle' Wiener in Chikara vibes.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Germansimp posted:

Steve 'The Turtle' Wiener

Oh god why would you remind me of this guy.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Steve was a nice enough lad.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Good time to mention that I met Brent once and we talked on the bus for about an hour. He's eccentric, but a good enough guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/philaschneider/status/1463536323298430982