Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I think it was also 100% settled that Pogba was going to leave last summer, which is why Bruno and Van De Beek were brought in and then for whatever reason he didn't leave. I guess nobody wanted to pay for him? And then suddenly you're in the situation where you have to fit them all in somehow.

bewbies posted:

so don't ask him to do the dirty work then? square peg round hole and all that

if you have a player unsuited to a particular tactical role and he keeps failing at that tactical role and you don't either change the system or the player I'd say that's on management, not the player

And that's what Solskjær did when he first came in with a 4-3-3 having Pogba in front of Matic and Herrera. But then Herrera left, and also see above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

the sex ghost posted:

Feel like Sanchez or maybe Torres are right in the middle of the poo poo signing Venn diagram where the three sectors are cost, expectations and performance ahead of signings like Carroll where he cost a lot, but nobody expected anything of him and he ended up just sort of chugging along

see, now what you've done there is you've created a model where signing a genuinely good player who ends up not adapting to the team/manager/country is considered an objectively worse decision than spending the majority of the money you got for Fernando Torres on a big lad from Newcastle who had scored fourteen top-flight goals in his entire career to that point

and that's wrong, that is

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TheRat posted:

And that's what Solskjær did when he first came in with a 4-3-3 having Pogba in front of Matic and Herrera. But then Herrera left, and also see above.

It's also what worked well for Pogba with the French national team. Like the 2018 World Cup for example had both Matuidi and Kante covering for Pogba so that he could roam forward.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

I would also like to remind people of the time that Newcastle paid £18m and had a stadium unveiling for Michael Owen, back when that was all of the money, and he made 11 appearances before The Incident Featuring The Death Of Michael Owen

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Benjamin Mendy cost £52m and has made a total of 50 appearances over 5 years, and then he's also a monstrous sex offender. I think he's got to be in contention for worst signing.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

vyelkin posted:

It's also what worked well for Pogba with the French national team. Like the 2018 World Cup for example had both Matuidi and Kante covering for Pogba so that he could roam forward.

Yeah but as I previously mentioned you get a lot more time and space in international football than you do in the premier league.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I know it's not as glamorous or exciting as Pauly Poggers but surely the worst transfer has to be one of those where a club spends several million pounds on a player who turns out to be just Some Guy, like Bebe or Savio

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

bewbies posted:

the worst transfer ever is now, and will always be, that guy who was literally not even an actual footballer who got a contract with ...southampton...? because he called souness and said he was george weah's brother and you should sign this guy right away

also pogba is probably in the top 5 most talented players i've ever seen and it is kind of tragic he's suck a huge flake

I wanna say it was West Ham, but it was definitely Harry Redknapp that got duped into not only signing some random dude, but putting him on the pitch of a premier league game, because another random dude pretending to be George Weah called him up and told him he was really good.

Still, I dont think he paid much and the guy was on the field for twenty minutes or so, so its not like he ended up costing 250,000 a week for 6 years like Pogba

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Bebe was almost certainly some sort of fraud and/or payoff for Mendes. There's not a snowballs chance in hell that was a legit transfer.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Simiain posted:

I wanna say it was West Ham, but it was definitely Harry Redknapp that got duped into not only signing some random dude, but putting him on the pitch of a premier league game, because another random dude pretending to be George Weah called him up and told him he was really good.

It was Graham Souness signing and playing Ali Dia at Southampton despite his entire team instantly seeing he couldn't play football at all.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://twitter.com/NorwichCityFC/status/1463205707369566214

https://twitter.com/NorwichCityFC/status/1463205981249232906

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

but why

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Bogan Krkic posted:

I know it's not as glamorous or exciting as Pauly Poggers but surely the worst transfer has to be one of those where a club spends several million pounds on a player who turns out to be just Some Guy, like Bebe or Savio

ideally they should also have somehow scored 50 goals the previous year in the Eredivisie, despite having little or no understanding of the game of football even through the osmosis of being on the field as the game of football is being played

if you ever get sad at night that you can't achieve your dream, remember that Afonso Alves cost nearly £20m

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

gotta get relegated in style

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

This seems like really weird timing but at least it looks alright

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

TheRat posted:

I mean if we're talking about failed very big money signings it has to be someone of Di Maria, Nicolas Pepe or maybe an outside shot for Andy Carroll or Fernando Torres at Chelsea

E: Veron I guess works too?

Nicky Peeps is a decent enough player. He just cost insanely too much and wasnt the type of player that arsenal needed. If he cost half what he did I wouldn’t really have any complaints.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

At least with Andy Carroll he was a young striker who didn't meet his potential, and was bought by a manager whose tactical systems were still stuck in the 1980s. Liverpool were able to recoup 50% of the original fee they paid for him, and he didn't spend multiple years being a source of news agitating for a move or a new contract. I don't think he's in the same ballpark as some of the other absolute roasters who've been bought in the last 30 years. I did like calling him Khal NoGoal when he was shite for us and looking like a bad Game of Thrones extra, though.

the sex ghost posted:

the poo poo signing Venn diagram where the three sectors are cost, expectations and performance
This is basically it. Pogba arriving back in the league in 2016 was seen as the next big thing in the history books of the Premier League, he was about to help establish a dynasty, put United back on their perch atop English football, etc. etc. He turned out to be a £100m dabbing Jonjo Shelvey. And he's leaving on his second free transfer in the space of a decade from the same club. It's astounding.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

blue footed boobie posted:

Nicky Peeps is a decent enough player. He just cost insanely too much and wasnt the type of player that arsenal needed. If he cost half what he did I wouldn’t really have any complaints.

Yep

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

how many goals did torres score for chelsea after they spent all the money on him? anyone suggesting carroll is on the worst transfer list is forgetting liverpool actually got the better deal

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Bogan Krkic posted:

how many goals did torres score for chelsea after they spent all the money on him? anyone suggesting carroll is on the worst transfer list is forgetting liverpool actually got the better deal

He got 45 goals in 172 appearances over 4.5 seasons at Chelsea. If it wasn't for the hype and the money and the fact that he never looked that happy while he was there, I'd have called it an okay move.

Chelsea did end up winning their first CL with him after all. That was more about the genius of Di Matteo though.

From what I remember, Chelsea tried to offer Sturridge as a trade in order to get the Torres fee down. Maybe Liverpool should have taken them up on that because a lot of time got wasted with Andy Carroll. Carroll had 11 goals his whole Liverpool career. He just wasn't a good fit and I don't know if that was down to Comoli or Dalglish.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 23, 2021

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Liverpool buying Charlie Adam and Andy Carroll because of *moneyball* will always be one of my favorite transfer memories.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

now I'm remembering the time that Charlie Adam managed to score from the halfway line, and MOTD celebrated this by showing a compilation of Charlie Adam repeatedly giving away possession by wildly lumping it from 50 yards multiple times a season, most of which had Carragher in shot visibly calling him a prick

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

It's not really his fault that that guy who was at Arsenal at the time decided to personally get involved with the transfer before the price tag mysteriously increased by 20 million.

He would still be a poor transfer at ~50 million but it wouldn't nearly be as bad.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Luis Suarez was also signed during that transfer window and he was under the impression that he'd be playing alongside Torres. I always wondered how that combination would have worked out.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
please don’t disrespect are nando in this discussion of bad players

https://youtu.be/KVRzE7i3FSw

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Charlie Adam was legit one of the most entertaining play as I can remember watching but not necessarily for reasons that leave the team better

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

paddyboat posted:

please don’t disrespect are nando in this discussion of bad players

https://youtu.be/KVRzE7i3FSw

I like how the camera needs like two seconds to realise whats going on

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

bewbies posted:

Charlie Adam was legit one of the most entertaining play as I can remember watching but not necessarily for reasons that leave the team better

Ferguson rather flippantly said Adam's corner kicks were worth at least 10,000,000 GBP and everyone else in this stupid league didn't realize it was a hyperbole.

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/01/25/2323052/charlie-adams-corner-kicks-are-worth-10m-sir-alex-ferguson-hails-

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Also every transfer Sunderland made as they crashed out of the prem.

And Danny Drinkwater

J Hume
Apr 23, 2013

What is the best number?

Andoman posted:

I have to agree that Maguire is usually solid but not £80mil worth of solid - although with PL transfer fees these days £80mil isn't what it used to be.

EC10 posted:

maguire is poo poo and anyone who says otherwise is probably his gran's alt account. you could go to la liga or serie A and find ten better central defenders that no one's ever heard of who don't have the turning speed of an aircraft carrier

A good midfield ahead of him and a team that didn't routinely get stretched across the entire pitch would help hide some of his flaws. For reference, see Liverpool's last season when Nat Phillips and Ozan Kabak played well with Fabinho, Thiago, Henderson, and Winaldjum controlling the center of the pitch and shutting down opposition attacks. See also: every good, well-coached team in the world that stays compact and organized.

Sincerely,
Maguire's Gran

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Maguire needs someone who compliments him rather than has the same weaknesses, so Varane. He also needs a sweeper keeper rather than a de gea glued to his line

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

J Hume posted:

A good midfield ahead of him and a team that didn't routinely get stretched across the entire pitch would help hide some of his flaws. For reference, see Liverpool's last season when Nat Phillips and Ozan Kabak played well with Fabinho, Thiago, Henderson, and Winaldjum controlling the center of the pitch and shutting down opposition attacks. See also: every good, well-coached team in the world that stays compact and organized.

Sincerely,
Maguire's Gran

yes i did watch the euros madame, your grandson did a great job. a great job

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Might not rank among the elite flops but Leicester dropped a hefty £28m on Islam Slimani and got 5 league goals and a total of 38 appearances before shipping him out on loan for the rest of his 5 year contract

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Blasmeister posted:

Might not rank among the elite flops but Leicester dropped a hefty £28m on Islam Slimani and got 5 league goals and a total of 38 appearances before shipping him out on loan for the rest of his 5 year contract

One of those loans was Newcastle where he arrived injured, didn’t make an appearance for months, and then got sent off so he couldn’t feature in the final games

Oh and he never scored, naturally

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Liverpool buying Charlie Adam and Andy Carroll because of *moneyball* will always be one of my favorite transfer memories.

the moneyball signings of Heads Ball Man, Crosses Ball Man and Takes Set Pieces Man was incredible

Eric Cantonese posted:

Luis Suarez was also signed during that transfer window and he was under the impression that he'd be playing alongside Torres. I always wondered how that combination would have worked out.

Similarly, I sometimes wonder how Wenger's last years at Arsenal would have gone if they had actually succeeded in signing Suarez for 40 million and one pounds the summer before he scored 31 goals and very nearly won the league with a bad Liverpool team

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
also when considering bad PL signing how can we forget the man himself, Big Jozy, who came from the Netherlands for millions of pounds, scored like 1 goal in 50 appearances, and went back to MLS forever

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

vyelkin posted:

Similarly, I sometimes wonder how Wenger's last years at Arsenal would have gone if they had actually succeeded in signing Suarez for 40 million and one pounds the summer before he scored 31 goals and very nearly won the league with a bad Liverpool team

Having Suarez would have papered over a lot of cracks and provided a huge cash injection when he left, so it probably would have been a huge change and I bet Wengy would still be managing today.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
If Arsenal gets Suarez they don't sign one of Sanchez or Ozil.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

vyelkin posted:

also when considering bad PL signing how can we forget the man himself, Big Jozy, who came from the Netherlands for millions of pounds, scored like 1 goal in 50 appearances, and went back to MLS forever

the wiki editor is trying so hard hahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Eric Cantonese posted:

He got 45 goals in 172 appearances over 4.5 seasons at Chelsea. If it wasn't for the hype and the money and the fact that he never looked that happy while he was there, I'd have called it an okay move.

Chelsea did end up winning their first CL with him after all. That was more about the genius of Di Matteo though.

That's way more goals than I would have guessed for Torres