Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

Remember when Tomas finds the Valheru armor and when he puts it on he grows huge and his raw machismo makes elven female pussies so wet they can't resist his sexual abuse

...yeah

You can tell that these characters were created in Feist's dungeons and dragons group which he readily admits.

That entire 3 book series is just prologue for describing the Valheru at war

Already mentioned itt, but Steven Erickson's Malazan Book of the Fallen does the D&D party bit better also the most metal books I've ever read :rockon: They make the Valheru horde look like kid stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Winifred Madgers posted:

I haven't, I've read several others of his books though and he's a really talented writer, one of my favorites when I'm in the mood for something that rises well above entertaining schlock.

You might like to give Aurora a look- it's much, much less optimistic than the Mars books, but has a handful of scenes that are just magic. And it's good brain food in general.

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

Tree Bucket posted:

Yep.
God created Arrakisustralian cinematic release schedules to test the faithful

I remember for a chunk Australia got quite a few of the big movies as much as a week or so earlier than US or UK. Perhaps to curb the :filez: in SE Asia?

Well at least it gives me to find my dealer so I can see it on the big screen fully :ibadpop::350::ibadpop:

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

there's plenty of cool poo poo happening in the background of Lynch's version

the tiger print rug is awesome too

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Late to the party but Aurora is an amazing book everyone should read. Love me some KSR, the Mars trilogy as well as its companion piece The Martians, and 2312 which is in the same setting, are all fantastic.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Flakey posted:

Late to the party but Aurora is an amazing book everyone should read. Love me some KSR, the Mars trilogy as well as its companion piece The Martians, and 2312 which is in the same setting, are all fantastic.

I haven't been able to find The Martians anywhere- what is it exactly?

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_trilogy#The_Martians_%E2%80%93_Short_stories

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

do people actually like this movie? I watched it and it's a joyless, self-sucking off slog lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Peggy Edson posted:

do people actually like this movie? I watched it and it's a joyless, self-sucking off slog lol

not enough quips for ya? Maybe you need a finale that's a big incoherent cgi people shooting lasers at each other. or someone saying 'that's gotta hurt!' from offscreen

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Peggy Edson posted:

I know isn't it great

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

dune nerd with 12 pages of posts: y-you should watch the star wars instead!!

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Peggy Edson posted:

a joyless, self-sucking off slog

Turn on your monitor

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Armacham posted:

Hi thread. I got this Dune tattoo awhile ago. Enjoy.

lmao

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

I'd suck myself off if I could at a spice orgy

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Normal and happy person, gonna log in and start telling everyone posting about something they love that they are in fact bad

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shageletic posted:

Normal and happy person, gonna log in and start telling everyone posting about something they love that they are in fact bad

this POST is bad

dune is very good, though

(for the record i mean THIS post, mine, not yours, it was fine)

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Peggy Edson posted:

I'm shocked when people don't enjoy it. It's like a who's who of people with opinions I should ignore forever.

may your knife chip and shatter

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Hey look six hundred plus pages of enthusiastic discussion of a book and the movie adaptations. Let me skip to the end to deliver my completely baseless and uneducated opinion and then*faaaart* call someone a nerd. That'll start the morning off right *shits on the floor*

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Soul Dentist posted:

Hey look six hundred plus pages of enthusiastic discussion of a book and the movie adaptations. Let me skip to the end to deliver my completely baseless and uneducated opinion and then*faaaart* call someone a nerd. That'll start the morning off right *shits on the floor*

thank you for the gift of your body's moisture. We accept it in the spirit with which it is given

*all poo poo*

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i serve only one master... and his name is poo poo-Hulud!

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Soul Dentist posted:

:hai:

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

dune is bad

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

shoot your shot, kid

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Say what you will about the emperor but the guy's taste in thrones is unmatched

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

All I see is the 80s loved aquamarine furniture and my grandma's condo is a testament to that

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Peggy Edson posted:

dUnE Is bAd

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
WHOOOOOOOO lives on a planet where there is no sea

Mahdi Muad'Dib!

Prescient and Ducal and Weirding is he

Mahdi Muad'Dib!

If galactic jihad is something you wish

Mahdi Muad'Dib!

Then join with the fremen and speak like a fish

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

dune nerds like

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

lolling at someone living up to their redtext

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I love DUNC but if you can’t use the internet to insult peoples taste and proclaim yourself the one true arbitrator of quality then what good is it?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

n-no.. an avatar burn.. it is as if being swallowed whole by a sandworm.. :negative:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The Bloop posted:

WHOOOOOOOO lives on a planet where there is no sea

Mahdi Muad'Dib!

Prescient and Ducal and Weirding is he

Mahdi Muad'Dib!

If galactic jihad is something you wish

Mahdi Muad'Dib!

Then join with the fremen and speak like a fish

Kull wahad!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
It's actually canon that the water world failson wrote about is the same one depicted in the SpongeBob Cinematic Universe

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
I feel like the Emperor, as depicted by Lynch, looks like someone who isn't at all in control. The guild diss him, the Harkonnen use him, Paul usurps him. He doesn't even fit on his own thrown!

I'm curious if the new movie is going to portray him, Shaddam IV, Padishah Emperor of the Known Universe, pbuh, as someone in power, or as someone without any power at all.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
I especially would enjoy Paul being presented as someone without any power at all, just a random dude swept up in a mass movement beyond his control (but not beyond his comprehension!)

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

1000 Sweaty Rikers posted:

the tiger print rug is awesome too

Is that a Sardaukar with a prosthetic nose?

Also what is the penance required for not having "Sardaukar" in one's autocorrect

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Shaddam IV, Padishah Emperor of the Known Universe should be portrayed by:

1) Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson

2) Daniel Michael "Danny" DeVito Jr.

3) Ronald "Christopher" Walken

4) Wayne Alphonso Brady

thedangergroove
Nov 14, 2004
Long for karate day.
Crispin Hellion Glover
Grace Jones

If 2016 didn't happen, Bowie or Prince.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

1000 Sweaty Rikers posted:

I wonder what cool characters are in the background of the miniseries version of Dune... oh...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

carrot top still gettin work