Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Black Pants posted:

Random vibe check. How would all of you feel, in general, about a sort of peaceful farming/exploration/problem-solving/expert experience where the only 'danger' is in managing your food, power and oxygen?

Turns out there's absolutely no way to have mobs spawn in Advanced Rocketry space dimensions.

This is a cool concept but there's a sweet spot that's really difficult to get right. If it's too easy then those things just become something you check on or automate once in a while. If they are constantly draining and you're panic running around keeping things going then it's hard to find time for improvement or progression. Do you require manual interaction a lot, or lots of inefficient machines that gradually give way to better ones? Are you balancing growing each aspect (food/power/oxygen) as you slowly expand? And to what end? Is there an exploration based goal?

I've tried a few packs that attempt this sort of thing and usually you can solve those problems too quickly and they just become something you're forced to do once in a while (i.e. water in Forever Stranded, you still have to refill your camel pack once in a while or sit in water to cool down no matter how far you get, but it stops being a struggle pretty quickly).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Awesome to hear. And, yeah, still trying to work out what 'sufficient content' will entail. But I'll probably release an alpha of the pack to get feedback once I'm done building the major parts of it and start to outline a progression framework.

And yeah those questions are really tough ones. Do I require the station be somehow powered manually by the player and have them risk losing all their crops if the power fails and the oxygen vent stops working, or do I give the oxygen system (of the working parts) infinite energy which turns that mechanic into just a limit to livable space rather than a survival mechanic? Do I add Enviromine to make the player have to manage temperature or do I handwave it and say 'Okay advanced future stuff is all temperature controlled'? Do I include Spice of Life but configured to work based on time rather than food history so that food needs to be relatively varied but if you're just standing around farming and don't need to eat much you can eat whatever?

The basic plan is magic and tech progression intertwined (conceit is using magic to create stuff too technologically advanced for you to punch together with your bare hands) but with exploration to find certain things required, with the end goal of starting up the station's warp drive and traveling to a different star system with a livable planet. Maybe extend that to restarting humanity ala the end of Regrowth. Oxygen tanks mean I can limit how far the player can explore and spend outside sealed areas, but things are in a pretty early state right now.

Edit: re Spice of Life; the way - as far as I know - anyone tends to encounter it in packs is its default config, which has a food 'history' list. It'll remember the last x foods you ate, and once you reach like 100 or whatever, the first food on the list gets popped off of it. But it has a mode that works based on time instead, so that food is only on the list for x amount of time. If you need to eat a lot over a short period, like you're running around a lot or have to regen HP, you'll start running into requiring variety. But if you are standing around watering crops and so only need to eat like once a day you can just eat whatever because it'll fall off the list before you need anything else. I think it sounds like an interesting compromise.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 17, 2021

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

more peaceful packs are always welcome. gently caress minecraft combat

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Black Pants posted:

Random vibe check. How would all of you feel, in general, about a sort of peaceful farming/exploration/problem-solving/expert experience where the only 'danger' is in managing your food, power and oxygen?

Turns out there's absolutely no way to have mobs spawn in Advanced Rocketry space dimensions.

Pretty interested. Reminds me of surviving the moon the first time with Galacticraft and needing to make sure I had a base that was sealed and could generate enough power to run the oxygen generators.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Update shot:

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
You could take the Oxygen Not Included game design path and put each resource on a kind of timer, or have most solutions cause problems that you then have to solve.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
Anyone playing the Create Above and Beyond pack start having a tps problem like this? Thought I wasn't able to recreate it but it seems it's related to how many times I've opened the save file.

After exiting and reentering the save a couple more times:

The next time it can't even load

Alright, I was going to bitch about this but I figured it out instead. Something about the Straw Golem mod was really screwing up my tps. I disabled the mod and everything is back to normal and the save file even loads quicker.

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!
Slowly getting somewhere with Create Above and Beyond. I kind of get most of the basics but theres still a crazy amount of things that are possible. Just found out you can move a spawner by making it part of a minecart contraption. Hmm.

Second attempt at an auto-farm after making small radial contraptions. I discovered that putting the plants in Planters from Supplementaries stops the whole crop being harvested no matter what it is, which makes things a lot easier. Also made a redstone circuit (by googling!) that fires off the farm automatically once per day. The goal here - hamburgers. Maybe I could should autocraft the bread and then the whole burger and yeah erm that's this pack for you.

Went back and made a fully automated Andesite Alloy setup. Andesite generator from bedrock meets up with this thing that farms kelp, mixes it with clay from that clay monstrosity i made, smelts the mix and then combines everything. I could hook it up to a full production line to make Andesite machines but you need the alloy for other things sometimes so I'm fine moving it manually to the assembly line.

The first Andesite generator I made was on the wrong side of my base, so I repurposed that one to smelt the output and send it to Trade Stations for a passive source of coins. It went on fire a lot while I was working out how to do it, as did I.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
I just finished kinetic mechanism automation in Above and Beyond...and it's a mess.

But I did it all by myself, so that's something.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
yeah, I can't get into it unless there's a walkthrough questbook, like in GTNH

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
Today I found out you can extend and shrink belts in Create without destroying and resetting them. Right click one end with wrench to reduce by one and right click with a belt to extend by one (it won't extend if it's blocked).

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

finally fell into omnifactory and i'm puttering around getting ready to move toward MV

want to maximize my snad sugarcane farm, everything i've looked at that talks about it is just putting redstone conduits right on the snad which i understand just doesn't work anymore

what's the best LV-accessible thing to use to pulse the snad? is it in fact the EU2 redstone clocks i'm using right now?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Interesting, and annoying, predicament: space is dark. Especially (I think) when the sun is a black hole; light level is 0 everywhere by default, inside and out. Which means I need to figure out lighting everything but in a non-intrusive or immersion-breaking way. But also lighting it evenly so it doesn't look poo poo...

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Black Pants posted:

Interesting, and annoying, predicament: space is dark. Especially (I think) when the sun is a black hole; light level is 0 everywhere by default, inside and out. Which means I need to figure out lighting everything but in a non-intrusive or immersion-breaking way. But also lighting it evenly so it doesn't look poo poo...

If you're including enderio at all, painted glowstone is always a reliable go-to. Or hiding it behind a facade of a single layer of block via chisel n bits?

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Patware posted:

finally fell into omnifactory and i'm puttering around getting ready to move toward MV

want to maximize my snad sugarcane farm, everything i've looked at that talks about it is just putting redstone conduits right on the snad which i understand just doesn't work anymore

what's the best LV-accessible thing to use to pulse the snad? is it in fact the EU2 redstone clocks i'm using right now?

Assuming you’re running a dev build, you need to run a line of redstone conduit under the snad, each piece with an enderio sensor filter in it, then send in the fastest pulses you can from any source. This is not intuitive at all, but it’ll grow cane as fast as you can harvest it.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

taiyoko posted:

If you're including enderio at all, painted glowstone is always a reliable go-to. Or hiding it behind a facade of a single layer of block via chisel n bits?

Good idea for lighting corridors, looks very weird when lighting up a landscape.

I'm using the mod InvisibLights but it requires placing light sources manually, heh.

Hm.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 20, 2021

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Patware posted:

Something that really helped me through my omnifactory run was joining the discord just for being able to keyword search stuff in the general chat. People post screenshots and such and often have similar questions as they hit snags in the pack. I stole my draconic fusion setup directly from one and probably wouldn't have come up with the workable distributed crafting setup on my own without a whole ton of experimentation.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
What are sustainable sources for nickel and gallium in Omnifactory?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Still playing GTNH. This pack has ruined me for other modpacks, I think.

Second-to-last rocket tier acquired today. Now I can mine nether star ore and pump fluorine from Pluto.

I'll need that fluorine for the new naquadah processing line, that they added a month ago.

Cannot believe that this nearly six year old modpack is getting regular content and QOL updates. Like this ore processing tab in NEI. (Yeah, GTNH's NEI has JEI-style tabs.)

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What are sustainable sources for nickel and gallium in Omnifactory?

Nickel you can get from slimes in DML, which can create nickel coins that can be melted down (also works for platinum, when you need more later on). Kind of annoying and slow, but it's an infinite source. I don't recall an infinite source of gallium, but I think I got enough as byproduct or from plain old mining anyway.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yep. Slimes, omnicoins, and ultimately had more than I needed once I hit IV and got ore processing up.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Finally got the drat polymer clay stuff automated! :toot: I still have to move clay around itself from sim to sim but man it feels good to see the clay just roll in, and I'll probably do something about that "have to install it manually" crap soon enough. :)

It's ugly and it's janky but I did it. :woop:

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 20, 2021

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Black Pants posted:

Good idea for lighting corridors, looks very weird when lighting up a landscape.

I'm using the mod InvisibLights but it requires placing light sources manually, heh.

Hm.

Can you use something like AS's illumination cube thingy to place light sources automatically and then edit the world to replace the AS light sources with invisible sources?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Black Pants posted:

Hm.

Have you tried the Spectre Illuminator? It lights up the entire chunk it's in at once and you can place it at the very top skybox limit if you you're doing presets and want to hide it.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Black Pants posted:

Hm.

Can I ask why you're trying to light up space?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

McFrugal posted:

Space isn't dark if there's a star nearby, relatively speaking.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Thanks for all the tips for Create! We finished Chapter 1 and I'm pretty happy with the pack so far. We have a mountain base, a bunch of water wheels and windmills powering things. The major weak link in the pack seems to be storage organization. I know Pretty Pipes is in there, but ughhh. We just set up a slime and skyslime farm and I have Hellbark lava-gen set up. I'll try to get some pictures. We'll have to start prettying it up, because a lot is a loving mess of its old or just outside.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

McFrugal posted:

Apparently black holes don't give off a lot of sunlight.

Super Jay Mann posted:

Can you use something like AS's illumination cube thingy to place light sources automatically and then edit the world to replace the AS light sources with invisible sources?

Fun fact: Advanced Rocketry was made with some very odd design decisions; one of them being that light levels for space dimensions are weirdly hacked in such that there is an actual sky light-level of 15, but the visual level is changed. Which means a Cave Illuminator doesn't work, it turns out. I guess it does let solar panels work properly though.

Also the Spectre Illuminator doesn't seem to want to stay up in the air...

Edot 2: it turns out, as usual, I was creating all of my problems. Yes, black hole means no light. But a binary black hole+dim red star makes for very dark nights and a low-light but still perfect visibility day.

Much better

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 22, 2021

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

Echophonic posted:

We'll have to start prettying it up, because a lot is a loving mess of its old or just outside.

I finished all of the stuff for the second assembly line and decided to go back make everything from the start again. Mostly because I now understand things a lot better after trial and error and watching Soaryn stream the pack. So it's like starting over but with a ton of resources. That said it's still so hard to make things neat and tidy. Using Andesite Casings to hide all the shafts helps.

Just finished the first assembly line, fully automated.

This is where things clicked. Saw you needed a supply of sticks for assembly line three so made this thing. Puts out about 2 sticks per second. Ludicrous.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

I kinda had the same plan. I just finished up my kinetic mechanism line to work without issue no matter how fast or slow a particular resource is produced as well as only used the andesite machine tier. There's a lot of parts that can be made more compact, efficient or smarter once I get into the brass machines, but for now I'm just going to build a nice building to surround my current setup and start planning some machines for chapter 2.

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

Anyone for tennis?

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

above and beyond rocks, really gives me a lot of "i have no idea what i'm doing but i hope this janky setup actually works how i want" vibes i had in old buildcraft packs.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Omnifactory: So I have a working polymer clay assembly and a self aware shulker DML churning out mass amounts of diamonds. The problem is, I kinda did my polymer clay drawer far away from the simulation chambers driving everything, and I still want to get a setup going where I have multiple sim chambers churning out pristines.

Is there a good way to move the polymer and diamonds around (to feed numismatic dynamos) without a shitload of ender item conduits?

In the same vein, if I have a thread of item conduits that link all the sim chambers, loot fabricators, and a drawer, can I use item filters on the import side to make the fabs only take pristines and shuttle all the regular matter off to a voided drawer?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

to the first bit, it's kinda chunky, but you can pipe stuff into coded ender chests to cross distances and dimensions and hwhatnot

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

The ender chest solution is definitely solid, but you're gonna have to come to grips with massive conduit layouts my dude. I ring and section all my area with power and ME conduits, because you're gonna need, not want, a large AE2 network to tap into everywhere. I have multiple drawer controllers with storage buses attached and a metric gently caress ton of storage drawers. There's just a ton of poo poo and you need a steady stream of a ton of stuff. Learn to relax and love the AE2.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

OniPanda posted:

Learn to relax and love the AE2.

Are there any good guides for dumbasses on how the gently caress it works? Everything I've found makes it sound like this complicated, imperceptible nonsense, so I've just been using it for the really big, searchable box. :v:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
So here's our Create:AB base! I'm pretty happy with it.

I'll start with a memorial to our godawful early iron-gen. This is getting torn out and replaced with a better, faster design soon.

The giant kinetic mechanisms gen. Reasonably quick, but won't be able to keep up without an upgrade or 5.

My room.

Our monster manual farm for stuff we don't need constant income for.

It's counterpart, the autofarm.

The new flint packing system and part of the manual processing system. Or it would be the flint packing system, if the stampyboy didn't just stop working constantly. Just have to feed it flint from the cobblegen.

Our storage wall.

The blasting/smoking area.

The tree farm.

My soon-to-be-expanded lava-gen. This might just be replicated where I need lava, instead.

My pure quartz machine. I went with nether quartz, but it would work for certus, too.

The iron-gen for brass-tier mechanisms:

Next up is skystone and charged certus and we can finally start integrating for brass-tier mechanisms.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Nov 23, 2021

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Kyrosiris posted:

Are there any good guides for dumbasses on how the gently caress it works? Everything I've found makes it sound like this complicated, imperceptible nonsense, so I've just been using it for the really big, searchable box. :v:
It's just a really big searchable box that when it gets full you just add more drives. That's pretty much it. Run that ME conduit in the same block as your power and spread it across your base and you'll always have access to all the materials in the network. Attach them to ME devices to pull out or put items in.

Interfaces are just small chests that you request what and how many of an item in them (the top row), and digital items are de-digitized and placed in the inventory on the bottom row to match your request. Anything that goes in is digitized and conduits/machines can pull out anything in the bottom row (but not your wider stockpile). You stick them next to machines with the materials that machine needs (pull them in with a conveyor or arm machine cover)

Import/Export busses digitize or extract items directly and can be adjusted by cards to speed it up or turn it on/off by redstone signal. Import busses auto-pull from the inventory of whatever it's attached to, export busses auto-push the single item type that you put in the box.

ME Level Emitters make redstone signals based on how many items you've got digitized so you can use them to turn on/off machines with a machine controller cover or input/export busses.

Autocrafting is a little more complex and tbh isn't explained nearly at all in this pack so you probably want to watch a video on it, but basically you select a recipe in JEI and shift-click the +, make the pattern, and then you can request it "build" the item. So you make a pattern for Log -> Plank, and a pattern for plank -> stick, and a pattern for stick -> coal, and the thing will make torches on request (you can stick a torch in your export bus with a crafting card and it will automatically craft and export it even if all you have is logs and coal in your ME system)

If people want to be entirely spoiled on omnifactory, I recommend this series by someone who basically speed ran it: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPDYxInF_WEXLpKvDl6v64hobqOqLRqKh, if you're running into issues or aren't sure how to approach a particular challenge.

There's also some tips i learned in there, like getting creative flight with the glitch armor very, very early in the pack.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 23, 2021

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Holy poo poo the coded ender chests are perfect. :woop:

A work in progress but that's got enough room for fourteen sim/fab setups plus neumismatics for each setup. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
The nice thing about Omnifactory is that they disabled Channels, which is really where AE2 gets complicated. Without it it's basically like Bhodi describes; big box, stuff goes in or out. Some of the other options are way more finicky but I don't know how much of that you need to do.

One tip btw: if you slap a storage bus (Ae2) on a storage drawer controller (storage drawers) then pipe inputs into the storage drawer controller, you get limiting, which is nice. It's a very easy way to say 'I want 1 stack of each of these things' and you can moderate the capacity by drawers. You can even add void upgrades to things you want to make and overflow (for example: anything that has multiple outputs at the same time). Doing this in storage drawers is easy, doing it in AE2 like "keep x of this thing in my storage network" is considerably more complicated.