Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

scott zoloft posted:

Teams is good if you want Do Not Disturb to not work and you want your coworkers messages pop up while you're presenting

popup while sharing "2d6 goons have posted in Working in IT 3.0 about horse phallus. Click here to open the thread."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

scott zoloft posted:

Teams is good if you want Do Not Disturb to not work and you want your coworkers messages pop up while you're presenting

Does windows not have a system-wide DND like OSX does?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It has Focus Assist, but it's a relatively newish feature and it doesn't work as well as it should. It won't, for example, activate automatically when are sharing your screen in Teams or anything else.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

regulargonzalez posted:

Update!

So, long story short. The coworker I mentioned before was a work friend. She is transgender (but not open about it), which didn't matter at all to me. No one in the office ever brought it up, I don't know who knew, who didn't know, but definitely no one who knew thought anything negative because of it. Anyway, I accidentally let slip that I knew she was transgender, basically because I'm on hormone therapy and I stupidly mentioned that we had similar experiences regarding taking hormones (albeit for very different reasons, so trying to be relatable was ignorant on my part).

We had a really good conversation that day but when she got home she obsessed over how I knew, who else knew, she felt too self conscious to return to the office. So she quit and deleted all her stuff, deleted her share, deleted things she had been working on in the group share, deleted her scripts.

I like her very much as a person and coworker, though I'm also mad about how she handled it. And of course I feel guilty for my role in this. Her resignation isn't official until a week from Friday so we're hoping that some outreach might change her mind. Situation is unfortunate because there were half a dozen projects she was the lead or sole person on, which is a lesson for us.

regulargonzalez posted:

It's just a very sad situation. I don't want to dwell on my feelings because it's not about me, but like I said I considered her a work friend and had some hopes of establishing the friendship outside of work. I had invited her and her partner to Thanksgiving, she'd come to my office and show me some tips on guitar.

I was very stressed about starting on hormones and was in my head. I approached the situation entirely wrong -- I asked her before if I could ask a sensitive question, she said yes, and that at any time she should let me know if she was uncomfortable. But then asked about hormones, assuming (without asking) her gender status.

I desperately want to make things right but I recognize that it is not my decision to make. I certainly never did or will discuss her gender with anyone else, but the fact that I knew was extremely upsetting to her I now realize. I do wish she would have mentioned her discomfort at the time; we had a really long and interesting conversation that ranged from hormones to gender to religion to quantum mechanics. She was engaged and seemed well disposed at the time, reminding me of a time I had supported her when she was going through teasing / hazing from coworkers.

I'm just a dumb motherfucker for interpersonal stuff.

I don't think you're super to blame here. Yeah, I'd say you should have waited for her to possibly broach the subject before you started talking about it -- I'd feel weirder if someone i hadn't told I was trans started talking to me like that, but you considered her a decent work-friend. At least, you weren't outing her to people, you just made it known you assumed/had clocked her. Which isn't great, but it isn't as sinful as going around the office telling people about the weird trans degenerate.

I don't know if this will be helpful but here's my perspective on it at least, as a trans person in a office where I don't talk about that fact:

I know personally, I really appreciate no one at work misgenders me or mentions that I'm trans, and my overall feeling about it is "as long as I don't explicitly tell anyone, no one knows for sure. They can guess, or assume, but who cares?" and that comforted me a lot when I started working at this company. It's very stuffy and full of old people, but I've only been misgendered once by a new hire and I have decided at this point (based on future interactions with her) that it was closer to a slip of the tongue that can happen to people referencing cis people sometimes.

If someone came to me privately and started asking me about it, I'd probably react visibly fine. But I'm also someone who tries to be an open-book about this sorta stuff. Years ago, I wanted to be some kind of resource for people to ask questions to, but as I've gotten further and further into the transition, it has become less of an interest or focus for me to be that. With close friends, sure, that's fine, but I'm less, uh... open in general about it. I tell people I want to become friends with because it's a great filter, but other than that, I don't mention it.

It's just way, way, way easier to navigate a lotta situations if I don't disclose. I know at previous companies, interacting with new people, they'd ask me my pronouns cause I was so visibly trans it was impossible to ride any sort of plausible deniability. And those people weren't malicious or anything even. I think getting my voice sorted made a big difference, though.

She probably personally doesn't harbor ill-will toward you and might not have even been uncomfortable in the moment (and just wasn't telling you) but after she stewed in that thought afterwards that everyone knew and was secretly judging her for it or even talking about it behind her back. That'd stress me out too, but probably not enough to quit. As long as people aren't being lovely to me, whatever. But it really depends how people interacted with me. I think if the office KNEW for SURE I was trans, a lot of people wouldn't treat me exactly the same, due to whatever unconscious biases would be at play.

I hope you can work it out with her and bring her back. It sounds hard.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

star eater posted:

I don't think you're super to blame here. Yeah, I'd say you should have waited for her to possibly broach the subject before you started talking about it -- I'd feel weirder if someone i hadn't told I was trans started talking to me like that, but you considered her a decent work-friend. At least, you weren't outing her to people, you just made it known you assumed/had clocked her. Which isn't great, but it isn't as sinful as going around the office telling people about the weird trans degenerate.

I don't know if this will be helpful but here's my perspective on it at least, as a trans person in a office where I don't talk about that fact:

I know personally, I really appreciate no one at work misgenders me or mentions that I'm trans, and my overall feeling about it is "as long as I don't explicitly tell anyone, no one knows for sure. They can guess, or assume, but who cares?" and that comforted me a lot when I started working at this company. It's very stuffy and full of old people, but I've only been misgendered once by a new hire and I have decided at this point (based on future interactions with her) that it was closer to a slip of the tongue that can happen to people referencing cis people sometimes.

If someone came to me privately and started asking me about it, I'd probably react visibly fine. But I'm also someone who tries to be an open-book about this sorta stuff. Years ago, I wanted to be some kind of resource for people to ask questions to, but as I've gotten further and further into the transition, it has become less of an interest or focus for me to be that. With close friends, sure, that's fine, but I'm less, uh... open in general about it. I tell people I want to become friends with because it's a great filter, but other than that, I don't mention it.

It's just way, way, way easier to navigate a lotta situations if I don't disclose. I know at previous companies, interacting with new people, they'd ask me my pronouns cause I was so visibly trans it was impossible to ride any sort of plausible deniability. And those people weren't malicious or anything even. I think getting my voice sorted made a big difference, though.

She probably personally doesn't harbor ill-will toward you and might not have even been uncomfortable in the moment (and just wasn't telling you) but after she stewed in that thought afterwards that everyone knew and was secretly judging her for it or even talking about it behind her back. That'd stress me out too, but probably not enough to quit. As long as people aren't being lovely to me, whatever. But it really depends how people interacted with me. I think if the office KNEW for SURE I was trans, a lot of people wouldn't treat me exactly the same, due to whatever unconscious biases would be at play.

I hope you can work it out with her and bring her back. It sounds hard.
A sincere thank you for this post. It mirrors a lot of my thoughts. The biggest difference between your situation and here is that this is a pretty liberal area and a liberal environment even within the area and whoever does know, if any, absolutely doesn't care. But I'm approaching it with my cis mindset and I can't project into her experience.

Do you have PMs and can I message you later?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

regulargonzalez posted:

A sincere thank you for this post. It mirrors a lot of my thoughts. The biggest difference between your situation and here is that this is a pretty liberal area and a liberal environment even within the area and whoever does know, if any, absolutely doesn't care. But I'm approaching it with my cis mindset and I can't project into her experience.

Do you have PMs and can I message you later?

I do have PMs. you can message me whenever.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thank you very much for sharing your perspective.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

This thread is one of the most wholesome on SA!

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

regulargonzalez, I feel like your mistake is the sort of mistake I easily could have made back when I worked in an office. Sometimes we gently caress up despite having only the best of intentions.

I am good at business communication but introverted in private life, and that's one of the reasons I love working from home. Nobody tries to socialize over Teams. We joke around, yes, but we don't chat back and forth about personal stuff, so that bright line between work and play is easier to maintain.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Holiday week chat:

Just finished delivering the pilot of a six hour training course I conceived, wrote and implemented and I am wrecked. It’s super stressful to teach to begin with, but adding on the fact that it was my content added a new layer of ugh.

Now I get to work on finalizing my breakout session for re:Invent and planning customer stuff at Vegas.

But first I’m taking some fuckoff time. If you need me I’ll be in the hot tub.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I take it back, I also question this woman’s judgement if her freakout was not in response to being outed but just asked personally.

Assuming someone is trans is not the best thing to do in the world, not clear if she already told you or not, but this is super different than you outing her publicly which I initially assumed.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, that's how I read it at first as well. Definitely takes it down a notch.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Had a good annual review today. Top marks, and in a vindicating moment re: the corporate thread my boss also told me to find a new job, but in the good “you’ve learned what you can, go and learn something new somewhere new” sort of way. Was a really lovely chat honestly.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 23, 2021

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I just did a lovely job at a presentation :(

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I told my customer's engineer that I have a hard stop at 5 because I spent all last night until midnight holding his hand and he complained that he doesn't know how to debug anything and I told him to figure it out. And now I'm out to dinner! :cool:

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Happiness Commando posted:

We're always harder on ourselves than other people are. If a colleague had just done the same presentation in the same way, would you think "they did a lovely job" or something kinder?

Give yourself the same grace you give to others.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

KillHour posted:

And now I'm out to dinner! :cool:

Hell yes

Lets Get Patchy
Aug 8, 2006

Happiness Commando posted:

We're each our own worst critic. You probably did great.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

You all are nice, but it was graded as part of training. Had it been the real deal instead of a trial run, I would not have passed.

All the same, I could be nicer to myself

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Presenting, especially to an audience of peers, is a skill like any other and it is not an easy one. Think back to your school days and group projects/presentations and how much every one of them sucked. That's how things go! Learn from it, move on and grow from it, but don't focus on the negative.

We only see our own blooper reel, while watching others' highlight reel.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

god put me on earth to dazzle an audience

In all seriousness, it’s a skill like any other. I’ve hosed up presentations too, and in fact did a somewhat unfocused one this morning largely due to it being 6 am and jet lag. Slightly embarrassing too cuz it was going over a big project I just completed, and a 10/10 presentation would have been nice to accompany it! The second guessing will get you, so you’ve just got to find that voice of self doubt and ducking strangle the drat thing over and over again.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 24, 2021

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

The Iron Rose posted:

god put me on earth to dazzle an audience

In all seriousness, it’s a skill like any other. I’ve hosed up presentations too, and in fact did a somewhat unfocused one this morning largely due to it being 6 am and jet lag. Slightly embarrassing too cuz it was going over a big project I just completed, and a 10/10 presentation would have been nice to accompany it! The second guessing will get you, so you’ve just got to find that voice of self doubt and ducking strangle the drat thing over and over again.

Do you strangle like, a LOT of ducks, or just the occasional one to pass the time?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Do you strangle like, a LOT of ducks, or just the occasional one to pass the time?

it’s a style of strangling actually, gosh boomer.

birds and particularly ducks/geese are assholes. i crave to one day possess their malice for all living things, i think it’d be a real asset in my corporate career

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I’m on PTO road-tripping through Arkansas and it’s been pretty rad. Petit Jean still had fall colors. Ozarks not so much. Bentonville was a weird town that is clearly Walmart trying to make attractive for corporate employees. Currently in Branson on a whim and this whole city is everything I hate about tourism. My wife has a fascination with it because her career is in parks and recreation and this is a sort of tourist mecca but everything is wrong about it. Just endless trash but I guess it has its place for families.

I can see why remote workers are flocking here because it’s beautiful.

Our peak season starts on Thursday and things have already started to go to poo poo so I’m very excited to return to work next week.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I doubled up. I’ve become sickening. My stories won’t be as good though.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

jaegerx posted:

I doubled up. I’ve become sickening. My stories won’t be as good though.

I believe in you.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't think board of directors counts as a real job. Doubled seems a bit of a stretch.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

I don't think board of directors counts as a real job. Doubled seems a bit of a stretch.

Nah it’s a k8s job for another startup. I did inform them that it’s a contract though and not full time so it’s just part time work. I don’t think I could’ve keep another full time position a secret.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

jaegerx posted:

Nah it’s a k8s job for another startup. I did inform them that it’s a contract though and not full time so it’s just part time work. I don’t think I could’ve keep another full time position a secret.

Its going to take you a few paychecks before you realize your plan of "if I don't like it, I will just quit one of my jobs" unravels. Greed take hold of your soul.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Sickening posted:

Its going to take you a few paychecks before you realize your plan of "if I don't like it, I will just quit one of my jobs" unravels. Greed take hold of your soul.

Meh gently caress em. I’m not here to build anything anymore. I’m here to get paid.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
lol I picked the perfect week to go on vacation and turn off my phone.
my poor team is still on site doing maintenance (basically just patching servers) and it is now 1AM. They have been at it for 7 hours now at least, and it looks like they're getting ready to pack it in and go home.
Except, I just received a slew of alerts from Azure saying that it is unable to sync with our on prem domain.
Sucks to be them I guess...

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

jaegerx posted:

I doubled up. I’ve become sickening.

Your posting always has been though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm currently engaged in a war of attrition with one of my colleagues. They need a lot of hand holding and seem to be at the point where they've given up and just point blank will not attempt anything they've decided they don't know how to do. So I'll send them vendor documentation that walks through a process and then a week later they won't have done anything because they said they didn't understand it. Or when they turned around and said they weren't comfortable using the macOS terminal despite being a Mac user working in IT for 20 years. I'm not sure if there's some motive going on to be so useless that I just do their job for them, but I am 100% not going down that path.

Even stuff like "open a case with the vendor and they will walk you through it if you're unsure" isn't getting actioned. I think the guy is going to have to go.

To be clear, if they'd started working through the documentation for a process and got stuck, I would help. But I need to see some evidence that they're trying. If they just say "I didn't understand any of it" then that's making work for me, which isn't OK.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

George H.W. oval office posted:

I’m on PTO road-tripping through Arkansas and it’s been pretty rad. Petit Jean still had fall colors. Ozarks not so much. Bentonville was a weird town that is clearly Walmart trying to make attractive for corporate employees. Currently in Branson on a whim and this whole city is everything I hate about tourism. My wife has a fascination with it because her career is in parks and recreation and this is a sort of tourist mecca but everything is wrong about it. Just endless trash but I guess it has its place for families.

Our peak season starts on Thursday and things have already started to go to poo poo so I’m very excited to return to work next week.

I visited a friend in Little Rock several years ago. Plenty of reasons I wouldn't want to live there, but man, the food blew my mind.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I changed a CI job that, very deep down, invokes TeX to build documentation. I just updated the image used to something more recent, and…

quote:

Package babel Error: You haven't defined the language nil yet.

:raise:

Okay, what does google say…

quote:

3 results (0,31 seconds)

Oh no

quote:

https://tex.stackexchange.com › questions › tags-for-pol...
Tags for polytonic Greek with babel - TeX

Oh noooooooo

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

I take it back, I also question this woman’s judgement if her freakout was not in response to being outed but just asked personally.

Assuming someone is trans is not the best thing to do in the world, not clear if she already told you or not, but this is super different than you outing her publicly which I initially assumed.

I like to think if that happened in my company they would probably sit you down and say we understand your reaction, so dont worry about it. I've seen full on fights between colleagues on multiple occasions and everyone kept their jobs so I guess it takes quite a lot to get sacked, which I know sounds crazy but actually think is good of the company I work for that they show a degree of empathy when they listen to the context of the situations

I think one thing I took from the story is gonzalez clearly feels terrible about this event so it was obviously meant with no malice at all. Of course, it's also terrible that the consequence for the friend is obviously huge but it's happened now so we have to deal with it.

I guess it's mainly important that the employer support both of you through the situation. It doesn't really seem important to apportion blame to me as it doesn't really achieve anything.

The other side of it is if the friend returns to the office, now outed, I guess you are relying on everyone else not to be jerks. My brother is trans so there was a point in my life where I did a lot of learning and I try my best to be an ally and challenge issues as best I can. There are just sooo many jerks though so I hope that isn't an issue.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

SyNack Sassimov posted:

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

George H.W. oval office posted:

I've got a Database Analyst position open in a small town south of Little Rock

it pays 30k

also requires butt-in-seat

The last few years, leaves have gone immediately from Green to Dead over the course of a weekend. This is the first time in a long time that we've had actual color-changing trees over the course of a few weeks. So nice!

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
Idk i think i'd have issues trusting that employee who deleted her work and went dark to not do something like that again. I don't know the person and maybe i'd think differently if i did but just from reading what happened i'd wonder if it's something that's happened before and might happen again under any provocation or lack of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dreamer
Oct 15, 2013

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Does anyone know if its worth trying to negotiate salary on a Cloud Support Engineer role with AWS? I'm being offered an interview and they've already thrown out the salary and are asking if I accept or not. I know normally you should always try to negotiate, but not sure about with AWS. Especially considering they haven't even interviewed me yet. Feels like trying to negotiate at this stage may just derail the process.

I'd actually be okay with the salary quoted, but this thread has pretty well drilled into my head to negotiate.