Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Just about to finish Johannes Fried’s book on Charlemagne. Terrific stuff and very thorough.

Quite apart from that, I’m interested in the development of the Hebrew Bible. Anyone has any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"

BigglesSWE posted:

Quite apart from that, I’m interested in the development of the Hebrew Bible. Anyone has any suggestions?

That's a tough question, because there is so much written about that subject and very little agreement among scholars about the topic. If you want to learn about that topic, you are going to want to read more than one book, but a good starting point is Who Wrote the Bible by Richard Freidman. It was first published in 1987 so it might be a little out of date, but a new edition was published in 2019 which might make that less big of a deal.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

CrypticFox posted:

That's a tough question, because there is so much written about that subject and very little agreement among scholars about the topic. If you want to learn about that topic, you are going to want to read more than one book, but a good starting point is Who Wrote the Bible by Richard Freidman. It was first published in 1987 so it might be a little out of date, but a new edition was published in 2019 which might make that less big of a deal.
Freidman's still pretty good as for a single volume/intro kind of thing.

The question is really how much reading you want to do. If you really want to get down in the weeds, every volume of the Anchor Bible has its own annotated translation along with analysis/criticism of the text, sources, and so on.

NuclearEagleFox!!!
Oct 7, 2011
I'm interested in books about the end (?) or maybe decline of the hippie movement. I'm essentially curious about why it ended.

Also:

Any histories about AIDS activists of color or AIDS in communities of color. The go-to stuff like How to Survive a Plague is entirely white people iirc.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

NuclearEagleFox!!! posted:

I'm interested in books about the end (?) or maybe decline of the hippie movement. I'm essentially curious about why it ended.

Also:

Any histories about AIDS activists of color or AIDS in communities of color. The go-to stuff like How to Survive a Plague is entirely white people iirc.

The popular fad ended but the hippies never went away. Google "Rainbow Gathering" sometime

e. the Rainbow Family wiki includes a link to this book, it might be relevant to your request: https://books.google.ca/books?id=3iFNGwAACAAJ&dq=inauthor:%22Barry+E.+Adams%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=9r-GU-3iF5HboAS594LoCQ&redir_esc=y

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 29, 2021

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Looking for a recommendation for books about guerilla violence in Missouri and Kansas not just about John Brown. Historical fiction maybe too?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Proust Malone posted:

Looking for a recommendation for books about guerilla violence in Missouri and Kansas not just about John Brown. Historical fiction maybe too?

The Free State of Jones: Mississippi's Longest Civil War by Victoria E. Bynum. The McConaughey movie was based on the book, and I know she released an updated version of the book after the movie came out.

The movie's actually not bad either. It takes some historical liberties, but most of those are in the 1940s framing segments of the story.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

LionArcher posted:

Any history books other than the people’s history going into details about Columbus being a monster? Because extended family goes to a church that just had a service that just white washed the poo poo out of him being a good Christian and I need more ammo for Next visit.

Patrick Wyman’s The Verge dedicates a chapter to it. Not an academic time but if fighting with the family Is the goal it gives you what you need in about an hour.

Having said that you should listen to the the previous poster who recommended 1493 because it is phenomenal.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Re: Columbus again.

The first few chapters of Fernando Cervantes's Conquistadores is also a good read. While Cervantes doesn't spend much time on Columbus's atrocities, he does draw a very good portrait of the man. And it's not super flattering, because it quickly becomes apparent he was a myopic dumbass who manipulated his data to serve his conclusions (he'd fit right in in the modern era), neither got along with nor cared to understand his Castilian patrons and followers, and had an ego so massive it produced its own gravity.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Fighting Trousers posted:

Re: Columbus again.

The first few chapters of Fernando Cervantes's Conquistadores is also a good read. While Cervantes doesn't spend much time on Columbus's atrocities, he does draw a very good portrait of the man. And it's not super flattering, because it quickly becomes apparent he was a myopic dumbass who manipulated his data to serve his conclusions (he'd fit right in in the modern era), neither got along with nor cared to understand his Castilian patrons and followers, and had an ego so massive it produced its own gravity.

Having just finished a series about the age of exploration it seems clear to me that Columbus was in genuine denial about his own discoveries in order to cope with the fact that his initial assumption was wrong.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Is it worthwhile to splurge on the illustrated version of McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom if I've already read the standard version?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Is it worthwhile to splurge on the illustrated version of McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom if I've already read the standard version?

I believe it is mildly abridged.

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
Anyone know of a good history of Muay Thai? I've been training for a few years now, and I really feel like I should know more about its history than just what is on wikipedia. Doesn't have to be a whole book if there is a good chapter or section in a broader work.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

Anyone know of a good history of Muay Thai? I've been training for a few years now, and I really feel like I should know more about its history than just what is on wikipedia. Doesn't have to be a whole book if there is a good chapter or section in a broader work.

I don't have an answer, but you may have luck posting the question in the combat sports thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3386280

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

NuclearEagleFox!!! posted:

Also:

I recommendchaos: Charles Manson, the cia, and the secret history of the sixties by Dan piepenbrig and Tom O'Neil

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

I've been reading a lot of medieval European histories, but I think its time for a change of scenery. Are there any good 'starter' histories of China outside the modern era? I have no interest in reading about anything post Opium Wars (yet), but I'd love to dig into Chinese history before that. I have to admit, I know nothing of the region!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Moreau posted:

I've been reading a lot of medieval European histories, but I think its time for a change of scenery. Are there any good 'starter' histories of China outside the modern era? I have no interest in reading about anything post Opium Wars (yet), but I'd love to dig into Chinese history before that. I have to admit, I know nothing of the region!
I haven't read more than a couple volumes, but I've liked the parts of the Harvard History of Imperial China series I've read. They're not narrative histories if that's what you're after, but as someone who went in knowing only bits and bobs about the early Chinese Imperial history I found them readable enough.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
I really liked John Keay's history, which gave equal attention to each period of china's history from antiquity on, rather than focusing on more recent stuff.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

SubG posted:

I haven't read more than a couple volumes, but I've liked the parts of the Harvard History of Imperial China series I've read. They're not narrative histories if that's what you're after, but as someone who went in knowing only bits and bobs about the early Chinese Imperial history I found them readable enough.

I read the first one of these a while back and yeah I enjoyed it, but there was so little narrative that I basically had to read Wikipedia a lot to get a grip on the timeline

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Looking for something insanely specific that my Amazon and google skills are not up to. Can anyone point to a history of Sears rise into a ubiquitous mail order company through it putting stores in every city and mall? There's some stuff written about its fall, and a lot of business-heavy reading, but I can't find a good history about it's growth as mail order and then onto main street.

Context for this is looking at Amazon putting in warehouses in every city, sending out a toy catalog, and starting to build physical stores and wondering if they're just Sears 2.0

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

stealie72 posted:

Looking for something insanely specific that my Amazon and google skills are not up to. Can anyone point to a history of Sears rise into a ubiquitous mail order company through it putting stores in every city and mall? There's some stuff written about its fall, and a lot of business-heavy reading, but I can't find a good history about it's growth as mail order and then onto main street.

Context for this is looking at Amazon putting in warehouses in every city, sending out a toy catalog, and starting to build physical stores and wondering if they're just Sears 2.0

Sears was a ubiquitous mail order company before malls were really a thing. The Sears catalog kicks off in like the 1888s though selection was fairly limited.

Only really know this off the top of my head because old Sears catalogs are hoarded by archaeologists because they are really handy for identification .

For instance this chronology has them opening their first retail store in 1925, which is 30 years after they start pumping out catalogs

http://www.searsarchives.com/catalogs/chronology.htm

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Telsa Cola posted:

Sears was a ubiquitous mail order company before malls were really a thing. The Sears catalog kicks off in like the 1888s though selection was fairly limited.

Only really know this off the top of my head because old Sears catalogs are hoarded by archaeologists because they are really handy for identification .

For instance this chronology has them opening their first retail store in 1925, which is 30 years after they start pumping out catalogs

http://www.searsarchives.com/catalogs/chronology.htm
Realized I phrased that poorly. I mean a history from its rise into a massive mail order company in the early 20th century to then being a ubiquitous mall store 50 years later as malls popped up in every town. Enough has been written about its downfall, im interested in its rise.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I once came across a used copy of the book Catalogues and Counters: A History of Sears, Roebuck and Company but didn't buy it, which I kind of regret in hindsight.

Used copies seem to be a little expensive but it's available at the Internet Archive, though it's 800+ pages(!). It seems to cover the rise of Sears into their transition to being a traditional retail chain, but it was published in 1950 so it no doubt ends right at the cusp of the transition to the shopping mall era of America.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Okay, this isn't a perfect fit for this thread but close enough I say: Egyptian Star Oracle is a weird kickstarter I'm looking at.

quote:

The Egyptian Star Oracle is not merely an “Egyptian themed” deck. It is an authentic Egyptian oracle utilizing astrology as it was originally practiced in 2400 BC with all Greek, Persian, and Hebrew influences stripped away.

The foundation of this deck is the astrology practiced by the ancient “star priests” of Asyut for divination and evocation of the 36 unwavering stars known as Decans (spsw.w in hieroglyphics).

To create this astonishing deck, I explored the tombs and temples of Egypt, searching for the origin behind the decans of the Zodiac. I ended up uncovering the source of modern astrology, Hermetic magic, and the true meaning behind Crowley’s mysterious statement: “All men and women are stars."

[...]

Cult of the Stars Book

Researching this deck took me more than a year of dedicated effort. There are so many misconceptions about Egyptian astrology that it was a very confusing process at first.

I ended up reading over 60 scientific papers about the Egyptian decans and more than 15 books about Egyptian religion and archaeology. Some of these books (like Egyptian Astronomical Texts by Neugebauer and Parker) have been out of print for many years and were extremely expensive to obtain.

During the course of creating this deck, I uncovered so many new and fascinating things that I decided to devote an entire book to the topic of the Egyptian decans. The book is called "Cult of the Stars."

It is available as a softcover edition exclusively with this Kickstarter.

Cult of the Stars combines the best of scientific rigor (there are nearly 100 cited academic works in the bibliography) with a spiritual mindset.

The Egyptians approached astronomy with a religious perspective, one that is still valid today. This book explores the modern implications of Egyptian star worship and how we have been in close contact with these stellar deities for the past 2,000 years without actually knowing it!

I'm just baffled at this white dude going out and making this, and honestly kind of intrigued, as it sounds interesting.

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay, this isn't a perfect fit for this thread but close enough I say: Egyptian Star Oracle is a weird kickstarter I'm looking at.

I'm just baffled at this white dude going out and making this, and honestly kind of intrigued, as it sounds interesting.

How much do you want to bet that this guy can't actually read hieroglyphs

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

Ras Het posted:

I read the first one of these a while back and yeah I enjoyed it, but there was so little narrative that I basically had to read Wikipedia a lot to get a grip on the timeline

This one is a bit long for an introduction, but Frederick Mote's Imperial China 900-1800 is still a serious one-volume reference of the late imperial period.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

StrixNebulosa posted:

the true curse of the mummy was the assertion of ancient copyright

E;

quote:

Because each card contains a Pyramid Text spell, they can be used in evocation and ritual work as well as for divination.
Now that's just good marketing.

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 7, 2021

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

CrypticFox posted:

How much do you want to bet that this guy can't actually read hieroglyphs

Dude is de Grand Duke of Westartica, ofcourse he can read hieroglyphs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travis_McHenry

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Anyone have a good book to recommend about Quakers/Quakerism? The segment about the Quakers in Albion's Seed was really interesting to me.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I bought used copies of Shelby Foote's Civil War series and - whoops - should've read the discussion ITT several pages ago about the author's problematic views and went with Battle Cry for Freedom instead.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I bought used copies of Shelby Foote's Civil War series and - whoops - should've read the discussion ITT several pages ago about the author's problematic views and went with Battle Cry for Freedom instead.

If you're eager for more battle stories after finishing McPherson I can confirm that Bruce Catton's books are good enough to deserve the Pulitzer. His account of Antietam is far superior to Foote's. On the flip side, Foote does cover the naval battles very well, and gives good attention to minor engagements like Glorieta Pass that McPherson barely mentions.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Are there any good books focused on Civil War naval battles? There's like five billion ACW books but I don't think I've seen one. Usually there's just a discussion of the ironclad battle and the blockade and that's it.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Try Civil War at Sea by Craig Symonds.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I mean if you read the thing Foote states very clearly at the beginning it was slavery which brought it to war, detailing plainly how Lincoln's election realized the long term fears of policy makers in the south, that his preventing slavery's expansion into new states would doom it in time thus necessitating in their minds immediate secession to preserve it. He then extensively explains other reasons why individuals were motivated to take up arms. He includes stories of Confederate soldiers early in the war attempting to pull social rank on officers by saying "I have slaves down state," and saying that digging a trench was "N****** work, unfit for a white man."

Very near the end he includes Lincoln's 'joking' remark to Harriet Beecher Stowe that she was "The little lady who started this great war," and clearly states "(African Americans were) in fact what this war had been about from start to finish."

He barely ever compares Davis in a favourable light to Lincoln, and when he does it's usually remarking on how the public perceived the two at various times, and not in any capabilities as an administrator. He doesn't directly make the comparison but tells the story of how Lincoln's incognito arrival into Washinton was libelled in time to him being disguised in women's clothing, and shows the similar telling of the tale expansion in the case of Davis' capture some million words later.

The books certainly show he had his favourites, particularly Jackson, Forrest and (the military base-less and statueless) Longstreet with the Confederates, and Grant, Thomas, and Sherman with the Union, (though he is thorough in explaining McClellan's reasons, external and personal, for failing where he does, and one is certainly given a better impression of Little Mac than the Ken Burns documentary).

Certainly on the negative side, jumping back to Forrest, while there is a very graphic description of the slaughter of the surrendered garrison at Fort Pillow and the fact that African American's were targeted more for execution than whites is clearly stated, Foote makes a quick statement that Forrest tried to prevent it, which I believe even the scholarship at the time of writing called unproven and unlikely. Shortly after this is placed a near equally detailed account of the Sand Creek Massacre by Chivington, which is surely no coincedence.

On a less blatant note he also does tend to wax on about the particular deaths of certain confederate officers more than he needs to, though his account of Lincoln's final day is far longer than any other's.

He points out some other grave moral failings by Union officers, particularly Davis' betrayal at Ebeneezer Creek, but the Confederate's opportunism there is treated as predictable, not an inevitable force of nature.

In the epilogue he again plainly states that following Hayes' election which ended the occupation: "Home rule, as both sides knew, meant white supremacy. The negro then was bartered, or his gains were, which came to the same thing."

It's not the most thorough text available today on any one area of the war but you already have the volumes and they are incredibly readable (or listenable, with Grover Gardner's 150 hours long recordings) and will whet your apetite for more detailed looks at any particular aspect of the conflict you might find yourself interested in afterwards.

When you read it, it is very understandable why the text was considered a betrayal by some southerners when it was released, and there is good reason why it's considered out of date and with some bias by the standards of today's scholarship.

It is absolutely not a work to further the Lost Cause.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Arbite posted:

It is absolutely not a work to further the Lost Cause.
Is this a Simpsons-esque "Not Lost Cause, but #1 among Lost Causers" bit? Because unless you're trying to very narrowly parse the definition of the "Lost Cause" myth Shelby Foote's work isn't just a work that furthered the Lost Cause myth, it's the work that furthered it in the post-Jim Crow era. You know that quote from Lee Atwater where in the '50s you could go down South and drop hard Rs left and right but then the '60s happened and instead of using the N word the Republicans had to start talking about bussing and states rights? Shelby loving Foote is exactly that for the Lost Cause.

Motherfucker went to his grave willing to fight for the Confederacy and he was the world's thirstiest fanboy for the guy who founded the Klan. That's who he was, and if you don't believe he "furthered" the Lost Cause narrative then ask some no-poo poo real Lost Causers because they sure as hell think he did.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

engessa posted:

Dude is de Grand Duke of Westartica, ofcourse he can read hieroglyphs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travis_McHenry

Strong Dune Cosplay energy from that picture.

'House Westartica will bring this matter before the Landsraad!'

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

I recently found a copy of The Reformation of Machismo: Evangelical Conversion and Gender in Colombia lying around, and I read it, and it was very good. It's a study of Colombians who converted to Protestant evangelicalism, what effects that had on their households, what this history behind that is, and how gender dynamics play into who is likely to convert. My only issue with it is that it's aging - it was based off field studies in the mid-1980s, and by now we're more than an entire generation down the line. Is there anything that y'all could recommend that might cover similar ground, preferably in Colombia, but anywhere is fine - this seems like a limited field of interest so I'd take what I can get.

MuffiTuffiWuffi fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Nov 23, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Colombia

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

lol thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I'm looking for books that heavily cover geopolitics and diplomacy. Books that illustratively apply theoretical lenses to events would be great. I know very little about the Middle East, Africa, and South and Southeast Asia. Currently have 'From Colony to Superpower' by George Herring, three different books on the leadup to WW1, 'Monsoon' by Robert Kaplan (the guy sounds extremely controversial, but I want to give him a chance), and 'Paris 1919' by Margaret MacMillan. Would 'Diplomacy' by Kissinger be good for me?

FPyat fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 23, 2021