Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAThief
Aug 28, 2006

I swear it's not what you think

AndyElusive posted:

I just want to check, is that 70.864 Natural Steel? I'm starting to really dislike the metallics I have and looking to replace them with paints that are accessible at my local Hobby store. Turns out they have an entire range of VMC.

In my experience natural steel sucks really hard. The metal color paints in the big bottles are the real deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
not to be confused with model metallic air either

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Specifically these ones.

https://acrylicosvallejo.com/en/category/hobby/metal-color-en/

Vallejo has like twenty paint lines so it can be tricky to know which you're looking for.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Painted this guy as a keeper of Secrets proxy. First time painting skin using exclusively layering and glazing. Happy with it, but there is room for improvement, it is a little unsmooth and chalky in places.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

I have no campaign in which to use him, but Charon is looking good enough. Cheers to Electric Hobo for the "more highlights and glaze over those" suggestion, it worked nicely.

Hmmm, at maximum zoom I can see a few areas where I could add more highlights....

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

I made a book nook. There’s technically a mini in it :v:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I really like that, it makes me want to put a 'Mechbay on my shelf.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/warhammer-commemorative-series-holga-clovenhorn-2021

Holga Clovenhorn is now available made to order thru the 28th. Unless I'm mistaken this was a pretty popular sculpt that people on the internet have been wishing they could get so I'm doing posting in this more generic thread as I don't know she fits into any current games specifically.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's pricy, but I can't resist that.

mccnaol
May 26, 2018
I just finished painting this small diorama for my friend to give to my other friend (his girlfriend) for Christmas. It's almost a shame I can't keep it for myself 🤣

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Winklebottom posted:

I made a book nook. There’s technically a mini in it :v:

pfff.... pfff... "pattedyr".... pfff

(super nice book cranny! ;) )

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

I really like that, it makes me want to put a 'Mechbay on my shelf.

Thanks!

lilljonas posted:

pfff.... pfff... "pattedyr".... pfff

(super nice book cranny! ;) )

You dare disrespect the teat which sustains us all? :colbert:
thank you

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

Painted this guy as a keeper of Secrets proxy. First time painting skin using exclusively layering and glazing. Happy with it, but there is room for improvement, it is a little unsmooth and chalky in places.

It's...it's beautiful. :swoon:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I bought some Tamiya plastic cutters as an upgrade from some random clippers I found in my wife's craft drawer and oh my god this is pure miniature assembly bliss

also sanding sticks

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 21, 2021

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
6mm napoleonics are surprisingly relaxing to paint

(I know 3 of the bases aren't finished yet)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Finally, I can be done with these

It's not perfect, and there's parts I'm not satisfied with, at least they're 99% done and I can move on to other minis instead of constantly staring at these and not being able to work on anything else. (I know some of them are probably wearing illegal equipment combinations but I don't particularly give a poo poo, since this 8th Ed get started box was a gift, and I didn't buy it, and probably wont ever use them in a tournament or w/e)

These are the...4-17th minis I've ever painted, not in any particular order per se.

The blue was really loving hard for me, and some of the angles for the edge highlights was also very hard.

I think I want to work on Fallout: Wasteland Warfare next...I got the core set for my birthday months ago and never got farther than priming them, and it'd be a welcome change of pace.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Nov 21, 2021

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I love this dude

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I was never really happy with the original paint job so I repainted my Chaos Predator.

Please forgive the kitchen shooting location as it’s the only place in my flat with decent enough lighting for pictures, and I won’t get a chance to use natural light for a week.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

The blue and bone look is super nice and I feel like I haven't seen it done before.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Been on what is (for me) an unprecedented productive kick lately:

Edit: these never made it here before:

Fyrbrand fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 22, 2021

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
That Dormammu is rad as hell.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

tangy yet delightful posted:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/warhammer-commemorative-series-holga-clovenhorn-2021

Holga Clovenhorn is now available made to order thru the 28th. Unless I'm mistaken this was a pretty popular sculpt that people on the internet have been wishing they could get so I'm doing posting in this more generic thread as I don't know she fits into any current games specifically.

Just an FYI, even though these are listed as 'made to order' and it says up to 120 days, they clearly have some stock left over as the one I ordered just shipped today.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

Just an FYI, even though these are listed as 'made to order' and it says up to 120 days, they clearly have some stock left over as the one I ordered just shipped today.

Yeah, my order just shipped too.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

do these eyes read as glowing? ive spent so much time staring at them its hard to tell. Any suggestions on cleaning up the chalky highlights?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

punishedkissinger posted:

do these eyes read as glowing? ive spent so much time staring at them its hard to tell. Any suggestions on cleaning up the chalky highlights?

Not really. Something you could do is making the eyes themselves brighter than the glow around them, which would help give the illusion that the eyes are emitting the light.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Bring them up to pure white?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Bring them up to pure white?

Sure! Maybe slightly tinted the color of the light it's supposed to glow.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

do these eyes read as glowing?

Not really, the pink glow around the eyes is too close in value to the rest of the mini. Throwing the picture into grayscale just to show what I mean:

If you brought the pink glow up to the level the eyes are at now and blended white into the mix until you were nearly pure white in the eyes themselves it'd work a lot better.

As an alternative, you could also do an all-over wash to darken the non-pink areas. That'd be harder but if you applied one carefully it could help with the 'chalkiness' of your highlights. I dunno if I'd go that rout though, your highlights look fine to me.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 22, 2021

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

that definitely helped thanks. Should I glaze on some more of the red/pink around the lighter eye area or just work it into a softer gradient for the glow?

edit: cleaned it up a bit and got a proper photo. I think it reads a lot better now.

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 22, 2021

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

PoptartsNinja posted:

I think it's time to tell my story!

On the 24th of January this year I placed a "Made to Order" order at GW for a bunch of MESBG miniatures, as well as some vampire miniatures (these were in stock at the time). The next few days I was reading online how people buying the same Made to order mins were already receiving them. But as the whole order said "ships within 180 days" I didn't expect them to come that soon.

Months passed without a word, my order status was "pending" and on June 18th I received an email saying that one of the items ordered (Vlad von Carstein) was "currently out of stock and sadly will not be restocked after having sold out entirely and discontinued from our range." and will be refunded.
I wrote an email to GW asking how come it went out of stock in June when it was ordered and paid for in January, but got no reply apart from an automated "We will contact you within 2 working days." that never happened. Got no money back either... so I decided to wait. According to GWs webpage my full order was still pending.

I received the next email from GW on Sept 24th, actually 5 separate emails each stating that a different item from my order was "currently out of stock and sadly will not be restocked after having sold out entirely and discontinued from our range." One of them another vampire, the other 4, half of the Made to Order items. I wrote an email to them asking how come "made to order" stuff can run out of stock, and what will happen to the remaining items in my order. I received no reply (apart from the automated one which said they will get back to me in 7 working days as they are very busy) or refund.

The next mail from GW came on October 18 which just said my whole order has been cancelled. So this time I decided to call their customer support, where a helpful chap told me he can't do anything because refunds have to be authorized by his supervisor, but he will escalate this issue and they will get back to me in an email.
I waited 2 weeks for the email and as it never came I called them again. This time they actually explained that any order older then 6 months can't be automatically refunded by their system so they will send me an email to ask about my bank details. Once that's provided they will escalate the issue and get my money back to me. (Altho first they offered a coupon instead of my money back, which I rejected.) I asked the guy to stay on the line while he sends the bloody email, just to make sure I actually get something from them. I received the mail, passed them my bank details and a week later I got my money back. 10 months after I made my order.

I was so upset by the end of this ordeal that I didn't even care to ask how come I didn't get any of my "made to order" miniatures. And worst of all, the vampires that were in stock in January when I ordered them now cost like $100 each on ebay and I will never be able to get them.

I'm going to place a new MtO order this week for Holga and some MSBG miniatures... I'm just a glutton for punishment. Wish me luck.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
drat dude

You can have my Holga if you don't get it within 10 months

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
added 3 more dwarfs to my existing dwarf. net dwarfs is now 4

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

"Oh man those old 90's Dwarfs still look great with a good paintjob - hey what is that giant coin? Oh!"

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

edit: cleaned it up a bit and got a proper photo. I think it reads a lot better now.

That looks a lot better. It's really hard to make a bright figure with glow effects.

To get glows to really pop you want the figure to be super dark to emphasize how much illumination the glow provides, and that can end up looking bizarre if the figures and terrain surrounding it aren't also painted like it's midnight on a cloudy night. I think what you have is a good balance.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

That looks a lot better. It's really hard to make a bright figure with glow effects.

To get glows to really pop you want the figure to be super dark to emphasize how much illumination the glow provides, and that can end up looking bizarre if the figures and terrain surrounding it aren't also painted like it's midnight on a cloudy night. I think what you have is a good balance.

Thanks! I should have planned a little better, but I wanted the figure itself to suggest a luminance in addition to the eyes glowing. He's going to go in a little diorama dueling a wizard and he will be the main source of light for the scene. I really appreciate being able to pause working and consult this thread when I'm not sure how to proceed. You all give such good advice! Sorry if I spam up the place from time to time.

edit: WIP of opposing wizard

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 23, 2021

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006
So I just got a big box of reaper miniatures from the kickstarter and I'm going to start painting them. However I haven't done any model painting in about 15 years, so I had a couple of questions:

Any recommendations for a good set of starting paints? I'm in the UK so preferably something I can get quickly there.
A lot of the tutorial links in the OP don't seem to work anymore, where can I find some good tutorials for painting techniques?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Lord Banana posted:

So I just got a big box of reaper miniatures from the kickstarter and I'm going to start painting them. However I haven't done any model painting in about 15 years, so I had a couple of questions:

Any recommendations for a good set of starting paints? I'm in the UK so preferably something I can get quickly there.
A lot of the tutorial links in the OP don't seem to work anymore, where can I find some good tutorials for painting techniques?

I recommend gw contrast paints and either Vallejo, scale75 or gw normal paints to start. Contrast is great for getting a color onto a model fast, but normal paints give you a breadth of options that are solid for beginners.

I recommend staying away from full sets since they’ll have a ton of colors you won’t end up using. Pick a couple paints (brown, flesh tone, black, white, red, blue, yellow, grey, and an off white) and start with those, and pick up more paints as you need them.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Be aware, contrast paints take some practice, and it takes some prep work to use on a model - you either need to use GW's contrast primers, or you need to put a coat of varnish over your primer before using the contrast paint. Otherwise you won't get the expected pigment flow that makes contrast paints work.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I've never tried contrast over varnish, just random primer. Now I'm intrigued. I assume you use gloss varnish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
contrast paints also vary wildly across the line in the way the work and quality. some are fantastic, some are trash.