Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Here is a short interview with the Riot Showrunners. It is interesting. Mostly it is a love letter to Fortiche (for good reason).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rAbZUZCnL8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Having played League ten or so years ago, I came across this show randomly while casually browsing Netflix on Sunday, then thought "oh heh, probably another terrible TV adaptation of a video game" and clicked it.

After finishing the season thirty minutes ago, all I can say is: :stare:

Holy poo poo, that was loving great. Close to perfect even.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
There were probably a lot of people tuning in (like me) expecting the next Donkey Kong Country TV show and wanting to see how bad it was, instead it was the best video game related TV show since the Super Mario Super Show.

Vulin
Jun 15, 2012
I absolutely agree with Silco being a terrible father figure for Jinx, but I think parenting standards in the Undercity were just generally pretty low. Even Vander was happy letting his kids get into fights and thief around, only getting upset when the people he had a deal with got targeted. Also let's not forget that absolutely nobody was bothered by a small child experimenting with building nail bombs.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Dawgstar posted:

Who are some other champs we might see next season? Urgot, maybe? Cait and Vi DID fight him in one of the music videos.

Mundo goes where he pleases

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lord_Magmar posted:

Urgot is from Noxus originally and was disposed to Zaun as part of Swain (Raven/Crows connection) overthrowing the previous leader. Warwick feels a given, Camille might come in, Seraphine maybe, Ezreal being missing is honestly a bit conspicuous. Dinger going into Zaun might lead to his actual Zaunite counterpart (Ziggs) showing up.

Yeah, wow, thinking about Seraphine makes one imagine they'll probably just work in the new origin of hextech so Sera's not so... you know. (Do we tell the uninitiated about the sapient scorpion souls?)

Ez, I think, feels like already would have his role kind of filled by Ekko except Ekko is much more selfless.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

There is a noticeable uptick in people trying league for the first time or looking at riots new games that came out at the same time as Arcane.

That's me, I tried it for the first time (in several years). I'm only playing with bots until I stop being awful. By all accounts this will take quite a while because I do not find it intuitive in the slightest.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, wow, thinking about Seraphine makes one imagine they'll probably just work in the new origin of hextech so Sera's not so... you know. (Do we tell the uninitiated about the sapient scorpion souls?)

Ez, I think, feels like already would have his role kind of filled by Ekko except Ekko is much more selfless.

That's me, I tried it for the first time (in several years). I'm only playing with bots until I stop being awful. By all accounts this will take quite a while because I do not find it intuitive in the slightest.

They've almost certainly made the sapient scorpion souls thing non-canon. Considering they've completely reworked the origin of Hextech in Arcane (which is probably going to be the lore they go for with the MMO), and also did literally imediately fix the really funny (in a haha accidentally very real portrayal of how abusive and disgusting pop music can be as an industry) version of Seraphine's lore anyway. Ezreal and Ekko are kind of intended as counterparts, and honestly you could probably tie Ezreal into the more expanded global trade that the Hextech Gates have created.

Him and Ekko bouncing off eachother would be pretty fun in my opinion, especially with the way they've played with Ekko's character as a young man concerned about his city's future whilst Ez abandons his home at every chance he can for the excitement of adventure.

For more out there options, I think Swain actually showing up could be a thing, if not him someone else high up in Noxus looking for Mel's mom. Talon could get some fantastic assassin's creed animation in the undercity for example.

The Hexgates really let a lot of options happen though, Gragas showing up looking for his latest brews for example.

Zac also feels like he's unlikely but cool option, because Zac seems awfully painful (in the good way) to animate with the level of detail this show has.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I want Ziggs to show up

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
i can't eblieve s2 ep 9 showed us what a good dad zigs is

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Yeah I think certain champs would be hard to add without completing messing up the tone. Though I imagine there'll be a lot of easter eggs and cameos. Like Twitch had no place showing up in the show, but they put the little easter egg of the rat at the end of episode 1 to hint that maybe it's him. I think Mundo would also be hard to have in the show as an actual major character but I wouldn't be shocked if we had some kind of cameo for him. Ziggs would probably get the same treatment more or less, though he's supposed to be Jinx's friend so maybe?

Camille seems pretty likely to fit in (maybe as an antagonist?) next season. Orianna could definitely fit in somewhere. I agree there is a good chance Noxians could show up too. Swain or Leblanc could work. Urgot is likely but since it looks like we will be getting Warwick eventually I wonder if there's room for two revenge driven chem-tech murder machines in the story. Though they might do something different with them, who knows.

Ez is a weird case because hes associated with Piltover but his thing is he just wanders everywhere. So he could definitely show up but I wouldn't be surprised if they just save him for Shurima or something. Could pal around the desert with Taliyah.

Seraphine is a war criminal and has no place in the show however.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 23, 2021

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Everyone in the show is a war criminal, if you think about it.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Macaluso posted:

I want Ziggs to show up

I think he might, one part of next season's plots will definitely be the hunt for Jinx and Caitlyn becoming sheriff , so since he's linked with Jinx iirc he may well appear.

That said since we're getting Warwick I don't expect too many other monster champs to show up, at least not as sympathetic characters, which in this show means pretty much any character who matters to the plot.

I just want to see Viktor become a robot , so far they've hit bullseye on exactly the right amount of melodrama to make it compelling but not ridiculous. After that we can go to Noxus and commit some war crimes, or maybe transition to a bunch of other Piltover lore like Orianna etc.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I guess Yordles are just another race now, too. Which is fine, they can still have Bandle City be protected from not-Yordles, but I recall their thing was never letting anybody know they were Yordles for whatever reason.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Dawgstar posted:

I guess Yordles are just another race now, too. Which is fine, they can still have Bandle City be protected from not-Yordles, but I recall their thing was never letting anybody know they were Yordles for whatever reason.

It's more of a thing from region to region. Noxus is aware Kled is a Yordle but doesn't talk about it, Demacia does not know Poppy is a Yordle. Heimerdinger in particular seems to have eschewed magic entirely, which makes him likely somewhat of an outcast from the magical land of the Bandlewoods.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Everyone in the show is a war criminal, if you think about it.

None more so than Singed, who is almost literally a War Crime Inventor canonically. Most war crimes in Runeterra involve Singed somewhere.

Urgot isn't really a revenge obsessed murderer though, his thing is that his experience being cut open and turned into a mining drone has left him with a revelation about Noxian Ideals. Strength isn't what you can do to others, it's how much you can endure and withstand. The truly strong are those who have suffered the most pain in his mind. Which honestly is an interesting thing to explore given Silco's whole deal.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
In all honesty I was a little surprised/disappointed that the teaser for season two confirmed so quickly that we're just going to be picking up right where this storyline left off. With the way the season ended I was kind of hoping for a hard shift or reset to another portion of the world that is dealing with the political aftermath of the ending, then ends up dovetailing back into our initial storyline to catch up with the season one characters. A lot of their arcs already feel complete even if their stories aren't quite yet done; maybe they'll do three episodes of finishing up with the initial cast and then that will dovetail into six episodes of largely new forward momentum/characters/locations if they want to mirror the structure from season one. Or maybe Arcane itself will just stay entirely about this region and set of characters and they'll leave it to Riot Forge and other mediums to expand on the rest of the world, I don't know.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/Necrit94/status/1463157524979494917

The little details are really top notch in this show.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Urgot is from Noxus originally and was disposed to Zaun as part of Swain (Raven/Crows connection) overthrowing the previous leader. Warwick feels a given, Camille might come in, Seraphine maybe, Ezreal being missing is honestly a bit conspicuous. Dinger going into Zaun might lead to his actual Zaunite counterpart (Ziggs) showing up.

Jesus imagine how tonedeaf Seraphine's whole gimmick would be in the Arcane version of Piltover and Zaun.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Nikumatic posted:

Or maybe Arcane itself will just stay entirely about this region and set of characters and they'll leave it to Riot Forge and other mediums to expand on the rest of the world, I don't know.

I'm pretty sure this is their long-term plan. Relatively self-contained series make it easier for them to keep track of canon better, and it requires less mid-series onboarding for people who're new to the setting.

I think they've set the table well for the start of new character arcs for the main cast:

• Vi has irrevocably lost her sister, and the man she's poured all her hate and rage into blaming for it is dead. The entire purpose she'd constructed for herself ever since getting locked away all those years ago is gone forever.
  • Caitlyn's desire to understand the world and find her place in it backfired spectacularly on her. She tried to be understanding and merciful towards a world she knew nothing about, and she's now likely going to have to grapple with the thought, justified or not, that she led to her mother's death by not being crueler.
  • Jayce is forced to betray his naive ideal of a better world through science to create weapons, experiences the extreme cost of war, and compromises with a drug lord in the hopes of creating something resembling peace, all of which is for nothing when something he directly helped to birth comes crashing through the window.
  • Viktor has given up on the wondrous potential of the Hexcore and resigned himself to death, but the fact that the Council's about to get blown to hell, and the imminent threat of war thereafter, is likely going to bring it back into the forefront.
  • Mel finally attempts to forsake her family's legacy of ruthless paranoia by voting for peace and forgoing war, and the worst possible thing then happens: her wolf of a mother's proven right.

Those are all really strong storytelling hooks. Everyone's previously conceived world has come crashing down around their ears, and now they have to find a way to navigate through the rubble to build a new and different life or die in the attempt.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 23, 2021

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Jesus imagine how tonedeaf Seraphine's whole gimmick would be in the Arcane version of Piltover and Zaun.

No more tone deaf than it was originally, with the lore where she knew about the crystal scorpion souls being used as batteries for all Hextech. Or in general what with Piltover and Zaun still being locked in a pretty brutal class struggle in the original lore.

If anything Arcane very much explains why Piltover and Zaun are so at eachothers throats in the lore.

Seraphine's lore is incredibly bad to begin with, Arcane just makes it even more hilariously awful.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Seraphine's real problem is that her concept is played completely straight in both her old and new lore. "The true issue in P&Z is a lack of dialogue," is such an unbelievably stupid loving position to take when there's clear material causes, and they could do a lot to deconstruct and interrogate that idea if they were so inclined.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 23, 2021

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Yeah Seraphine is an incredibly bad fit for both the old and new lore. I hope they just continue ignoring her, or maybe come up with a completely new backstory now that hextech has been fully retconned.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

pidan posted:

Yeah Seraphine is an incredibly bad fit for both the old and new lore. I hope they just continue ignoring her, or maybe come up with a completely new backstory now that hextech has been fully retconned.

It's super loving easy, have her be born in Zaun and putting on rebel concerts in Piltover that's calling for better treatment of Zaun. It's still "conversation" but it's a rebellious one, which Piltover tries to shut down or bust up. Also redesign her to fit Zaun, or heck redesign her to fit Piltover, instead of the lovely literal pop idol in Runeterra just because that's what we were told to make design.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I've said it before, but "increasingly radicalized pop star struggling between the demands of profit and the demands of truth" is a genuinely interesting (and highly relevant) angle, and they wouldn't even have to change much beyond how they start writing her in future pieces.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Or just make her a useful tool for Piltover, an unwitting propaganda mouthpiece with good intentions, the whole mind control voice thing being allegory for the role of bread and circuses in a repressive society.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lord_Magmar posted:

It's super loving easy, have her be born in Zaun and putting on rebel concerts in Piltover that's calling for better treatment of Zaun. It's still "conversation" but it's a rebellious one, which Piltover tries to shut down or bust up. Also redesign her to fit Zaun, or heck redesign her to fit Piltover, instead of the lovely literal pop idol in Runeterra just because that's what we were told to make design.

Guerilla pop star? Cut this goon a check.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
The problem with you guys' ideas is that it doesn't make her #relatable, so you can cheer her on and parasocially feel for her as she tries to make it as a K/DA bigshot.

Considering they changed her old lore in a heartbeat instead of mining it for the intrigue its cognitive dissonance presented, I'm pretty sure they just want to play her straight as a warm, fluffy pop star instead.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Vermain posted:

I'm pretty sure this is their long-term plan. Relatively self-contained series make it easier for them to keep track of canon better, and it requires less mid-series onboarding for people who're new to the setting.

I think they've set the table well for the start of new character arcs for the main cast:

• Vi has irrevocably lost her sister, and the man she's poured all her hate and rage into blaming for it is dead. The entire purpose she'd constructed for herself ever since getting locked away all those years ago is gone forever.
  • Caitlyn's desire to understand the world and find her place in it backfired spectacularly on her. She tried to be understanding and merciful towards a world she knew nothing about, and she's now likely going to have to grapple with the thought, justified or not, that she led to her mother's death by not being crueler.
  • Jayce is forced to betray his naive ideal of a better world through science to create weapons, experiences the extreme cost of war, and compromises with a drug lord in the hopes of creating something resembling peace, all of which is for nothing when something he directly helped to birth comes crashing through the window.
  • Viktor has given up on the wondrous potential of the Hexcore and resigned himself to death, but the fact that the Council's about to get blown to hell, and the imminent threat of war thereafter, is likely going to bring it back into the forefront.
  • Mel finally attempts to forsake her family's legacy of ruthless paranoia by voting for peace and forgoing war, and the worst possible thing then happens: her wolf of a mother's proven right.

Those are all really strong storytelling hooks. Everyone's previously conceived world has come crashing down around their ears, and now they have to find a way to navigate through the rubble to build a new and different life or die in the attempt.

To compound on this, we also know that Caitlyn's dad is going to probably get kidnapped/killed by C(orina), since that plot thread literally got a followup in Legends of Runeterra only a month ago and it probably isn't going to get rewritten that close to Arcane's release, Ekko and Heimer have a clear dynamic and direction they can take, Singed has clear setup with Warwick and potentially Orianna, and Sevika's own world is also about to crash down since the person she demonstrated loyalty to and followed for years in front of any potential rivals just died.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
One thing I'm hoping because I'm more of a sucker for ROMANCE than I am for PROBLEMS

I really hope that Vi convincing Caitlyn to not kill Jinx (which is most likely gonna result in her mom dying) doesn't become like a big annoying conflict in their relationship. Like I hope these two can just be a cool power couple that understand that poo poo sucks and is hosed up and Jinx getting away wasn't really either of their fault. Let them be together and smooch, Riot :mad:

edit: Who is Corina?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Macaluso posted:

One thing I'm hoping because I'm more of a sucker for ROMANCE than I am for PROBLEMS

I really hope that Vi convincing Caitlyn to not kill Jinx (which is most likely gonna result in her mom dying) doesn't become like a big annoying conflict in their relationship. Like I hope these two can just be a cool power couple that understand that poo poo sucks and is hosed up and Jinx getting away wasn't really either of their fault. Let them be together and smooch, Riot :mad:

With how the writing's gone so far, my intuition is that they'll use it as another moment of character development for both of them. Despite her tough girl loner attitude, Vi has an incredible martyr complex, even when she was a kid: she takes full responsibility for the heist going bad, tries to turn herself in (alone, without consulting anyone) when the heat gets too real, blames herself entirely for what happened to Powder, apologizes to Ekko for not being there for everyone, regularly goes off on her own to try to avoid involving anyone else in "her" fights, etc. I don't think that's something Cait'll let slide in this case, with Vi trying to take the blame for letting Jinx live, both because Cait's seen enough to know what Vi's like and how self-destructive that kind of attitude is, and because Cait's growth and maturation depends on her learning to take responsibility for what she does, no matter how awful the outcome. Her helping Vi to realize that she can't solve every problem on her own, and that she has to be willing to give agency to the people she knows and loves (something she manifestly didn't do with Powder/Jinx), is a great storytelling opportunity.

quote:

She's one of the Chembarons, with an expertise in (evil) floristry. The giant flower in the meeting room with the rest of the Chembarons is likely her work, though she hasn't appeared on-screen yet.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Can someone familiar with game lore give the uninitiated a breakdown of the whole seraphine war criminal thing?
I mean, I gather from necrits videos that hextech crystals are essential skarner marbles harvested through genocide, but how is she specifically involved?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Can someone familiar with game lore give the uninitiated a breakdown of the whole seraphine war criminal thing?
I mean, I gather from necrits videos that hextech crystals are essential skarner marbles harvested through genocide, but how is she specifically involved?

It's a bit hyperbolic, but she basically got a hextech thingamabob from her parents to help her dampen her overly-acute hearing (like Clark Kent in Man of Steel) and, thanks to said hearing, learned that there was a consciousness in the crystal. The writing wants to paint it like it's her magical companion that's inspiring her about how bad hatred is and giving her songs to sing, but it manages to completely leapfrog the fact that everything hextech is being powered by the still-living consciousness of an entire race and Sera doesn't seem to give a poo poo. It'd be like Fullmetal Alchemist dropping the reveal on how a Philosopher's Stone is made and then having Edward go, "Oh, that's cool. Can I get one?"

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<

Macaluso posted:

I would love for an actual on-screen kiss or sex scene or something that can be interpreted as non-platonic but it’s an international hit tv show owned by tencent. I just have zero hope of it being anything other than heavily hinted at and writers saying that they are but nothing concrete.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Vermain posted:

It's a bit hyperbolic, but she basically got a hextech thingamabob from her parents to help her dampen her overly-acute hearing (like Clark Kent in Man of Steel) and, thanks to said hearing, learned that there was a consciousness in the crystal. The writing wants to paint it like it's her magical companion that's inspiring her about how bad hatred is and giving her songs to sing, but it manages to completely leapfrog the fact that everything hextech is being powered by the still-living consciousness of an entire race and Sera doesn't seem to give a poo poo. It'd be like Fullmetal Alchemist dropping the reveal on how a Philosopher's Stone is made and then having Edward go, "Oh, that's cool. Can I get one?"

Yeah, the problem isn't that she's using hextech (most Piltover champions are using Hextech), it's that she knows there's some sort of consciousness in there, a consciousness that, in Skarner's lore, he describes as screaming in pain and fear, and she uses that to power a magical stage so she can be a pop singer.

The 'fix' was relatively simple (change a couple of lines to give Seraphine the same plausible deniability that the rest of Piltover's champs who are not Camille have), but whoever thought launching Seraphine with voice lines like "I miss your kind too, Skarner. Would you like to hear their song?" was going to turn out okay is one of the most tasteless things Riot has done in League.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Lord Packinham posted:

I would love for an actual on-screen kiss or sex scene or something that can be interpreted as non-platonic but it’s an international hit tv show owned by tencent. I just have zero hope of it being anything other than heavily hinted at and writers saying that they are but nothing concrete.

Yeah, it's a shame. I'm hoping that its runaway success will give the creative team enough muscle internally (and enough money) to try and make it unambiguous to most of the world, even if that means several completely different scenes in the censored version. I'm generally pretty understanding of the struggle of trying to get around highly restrictive censorship laws and the need to weaponize subtext in cases like this, but Riot's a big enough company that spending an extra couple million to let 'em loving smooch shouldn't be an issue.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 23, 2021

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I can't imagine it would be too difficult to turn a scene that's a smooch in the rest of the world into a friendship hug in Russia and China. Also, given how Season 1 ends, I don't think Vi and Caitlyn are going to be particularly lovey-dovey for most of Season 2.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Season 1 made such a point to give league fans That Good Fanservice poo poo and not use dumb frustrating tropes for drama that I almost can't imagine the two of them not shacking up next season. they'll find a way, i trust them

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
given the one child policy (yes I know it was rescinded) you'd think they'd be okay with ladies smooching other ladies

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

Give us original lore/art Taric and Gangplank, you cowards. I want the most fabulous gem knight ever and the overflowing pubic hair pirate.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Taric is still quite fabulous. If anything he is an improvement over OG Taric.

Anyway, one of the writers did say one of the reasons they didn't kiss in the first season was 'we knew we would have a season 2 pretty early on in development'.

Of course, they could just be saying that, but given this year also gave us canon Leona/Diana, I am optimistic that lesbians, at least, are acceptable at Riot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Guys, who's excited for episodes 10, 11, and 12 this weekend? :dance: