Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I have seen more fly agaric this year than the rest of my life combined. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Genius, what a mensch

This is good too, the more good press the better IMO, even if it is from tedious guardian liberals

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Ha that's amazing, I'm glad Twitter exists to let Getfiscal slot into exactly the same niche outside of SA

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Funny is this is, the absolute state of British people in the replies is quite depressing.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

lol

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I dont understand the bit. Its just a guy saying something dumb and Jonathan Ross calling him an idiot?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I dont understand the bit. Its just a guy saying something dumb and Jonathan Ross calling him an idiot?

It's Ross replying to a parody account.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Had the pleasure of meeting Johnathan Ross at a charity do once. He was surprisingly down to earth, and VERY funny

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It's perfect bait for brit terfs that think themselves progressive and Ross got fiscal'd

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

getfiscal's bit is saying things that are irresistable bait to people who spend their entire life thinking they're smarter than everyone else but obviously a joke if you take half a second to read them.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Barry Foster posted:

Genius, what a mensch

This is good too, the more good press the better IMO, even if it is from tedious guardian liberals

It was so Graniard I couldn't help myself.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Borrovan posted:

My buddy I mentioned upthread is getting well into mushroom hunting. Not just the magic ones, it sounds like a cool hobby in general & I'm gutted I've been too busy to head out with him. There's loads of delicious edible ones about, but you can also just like, go looking at cool mushrooms, take some pictures, then go home & get a book out & learn about what you found.

Here's some of the mushroom photos I've been sent lately:

There’s a decent docu on Netflix about mushrooms. The Secret Life of Mushrooms or something like that. It’s Fantastic Fungi. Would actually be great to watch when lightly tripping.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

josh04 posted:

People who spend their entire life thinking they're smarter than everyone else

This is all of us. Even/especially when we say 'hey, I'm just some idiot but....' and actually we think we're delivering uncontestable, brilliant insight.

I haven't signed my post and my monitors are turned.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Don't sign your monitor.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

This is all of us. Even/especially when we say 'hey, I'm just some idiot but....' and actually we think we're delivering uncontestable, brilliant insight.

I haven't signed my post and my monitors are turned.

weird name but you still shouldn't sign it!!!

The moral, I guess, is that we're all at risk of getting fiscal'd. But it's still funny when it happens to Jonathan Ross.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Why does watching Trump elicit hate in me, but watching Johnson elicits pity and slight concern? Is it just the accent? Like every time, every time I watch him speak it is "Oh no, why isn't this person's caretaker stopping him from doing this?"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you are american then possibly? I do have a vague suspicion that a british accent basically functions like some sort of magic spell of authority. People seem far too inclined to believe any old poo poo as long as it's a brit saying it.

I suppose it still does in the UK as well but it has to be a particular kind of british accent.

More generally perhaps you have also been primed to hate trump's social tells more than you have posh brits. In much the same way that trump is quite emblemating of the american rich, so johnson is emblematic of the british rich, or at least a particular flavour of them as they do come in other kinds.

He's actually in some ways quite analogous to trump because I don't think he's proper blue blood, they don't tend to have jobs and he used to be a journalist. Trump compared to rockefellers or kennedys, or the antebellum southern rich.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 23, 2021

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

If you are american then possibly? I do have a vague suspicion that a british accent basically functions like some sort of magic spell of authority. People seem far too inclined to believe any old poo poo as long as it's a brit saying it.

I suppose it still does in the UK as well but it has to be a particular kind of british accent.

More generally perhaps you have also been primed to hate trump's social tells more than you have posh brits. In much the same way that trump is quite emblemating of the american rich, so johnson is emblematic of the british rich, or at least a particular flavour of them as they do come in other kinds.

He's actually in some ways quite analogous to trump because I don't think he's proper blue blood, they don't tend to have jobs and he used to be a journalist. Trump compared to rockefellers or kennedys, or the antebellum southern rich.

It’s weird because i have the reverse reaction where my hackles instantly raise when i hear anything public school voice or posher. They might be really nice people but arggg i hate it and them

Everyone should have a yorkshire accent

Trump’s voice is fine, its just what he says that’s awful

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Same, but I think we are probably not a representative sample.

What I mean is that I think in this day and age, unless you are a particular brand of british lefty, anglo speakers are probably less likely to have that instinctive recoiling response to a toff accent, because a lot of media employs posh british people to play charming roles, more mister darcy than lord murderforth the fifth earl of bumfuck who got the order of the garter for efficiently genociding half of india.

Whereas conversely a lot of americans are going to associate trump's general prickish behaviour with the kind of petty cruelty that their noveau riche and middle class employ towards service workers etc. And also they have a bunch of media available to them to make him seem like the worst thing in the world, while also consuming a bunch of crap like doctor who or downton abbey or whatever. Or david attenborough. The UK exports a bunch of stuff that portrays well spoken brits as appealing.

Trump is a charisma vaccum, and that's his selling point, but while boris to anybody who doesn't find his idiot toff prattling to be novel, is also a charisma vacuum, I think there are a lot of people who have been primed to interpret that as endearing.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I agree with everything Owl said except for the part about Attenborough being crap. He is overly deified but the documentaries he (and moreso his team) make are absolute masterpieces. Doctor Who and Sherlock, on the other hand, are loving shite

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sorry the full stop was meant to separate him from the crap, yes attenborough is not crap as far as I know, but he is posh and I think people make that association with his manner of speaking regardless of who is using it or what they are saying.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
ol' pudd'n brain bojo

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
If people abroad's experience of British accents is picked up from BBC World, then there is an assumption that that is how all Brits speak. BBC World is full on 'received pronunciation'.

One of my English friends living in Cairo picks up loads of tutoring English work because her accent is cut glass - she used to be housekeeper to a landed gentry on this green and pleasant land - and the parents want their kids to speak like her.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I probably feel more sorry for Trump than Boris. Trump is probably a worse person, but he’s also basically deranged. He’s deeply mentally ill or even possibly neurologically compromised. Also, he’s widely and absolutely loathed by a good half of the nation, including much of the establishment. He might never face actual hardship in his life, but he’ll likely be ostracised from the circles he dearly wishes he could be in. He’s probably incapable of actually experiencing happiness, and he’ll be dead soon.

Meanwhile, the most consequence Boris will face for his crimes will be not being able to be prime minister anymore. Maybe his party losing an election and falling out of power. The public will never truly turn on him, and a small blip at the moment aside, the establishment will always welcome him. He’ll be a bon vivant at garden parties and after-dinner speeches for the rest of his life. If he’s tossed out of Number 10 he’ll be back on whatever the new equivalent of Epstein’s island is by the end of the year. He’ll likely finish out his days, surrounded in his bed by (most of) his children, and maybe some of his mistresses, safe in the knowledge that he was a widely liked public figure, except by some weirdo crusties who don’t count.

That’s the real pain of watching the Tories. Almost no politicians will face actual material consequences for their actions. But they won’t even face emotional consequences. They will be happy and content for the rest of their likely natural lives.

Comrade Fakename fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 23, 2021

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

DarkCrawler posted:

Why does watching Trump elicit hate in me, but watching Johnson elicits pity and slight concern? Is it just the accent? Like every time, every time I watch him speak it is "Oh no, why isn't this person's caretaker stopping him from doing this?"

I'm the opposite. Trump is funny because at least it's not my idiot country that he's in charge of and he's basically just a shitposter. Also the liberal handwringing if he wins again will be incredible.

Johnson is just depressing when we could have had an actually good PM for the first time in my life.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i think being prime minister has been a miserable experience for boris

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Yes. I also think that he’s deeply unhappy and always will be.

At least, I hope so.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

NotJustANumber99 posted:

He was dealt a lovely hand, but it was into his own hand he shat. He could have used toilet paper - it was available! - but making GBS threads into his own hand was the path he chose so welp

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

therattle posted:

Yes. I also think that he’s deeply unhappy and always will be.

At least, I hope so.

Do you think he’s unhappy? At the moment, probably. He certainly didn’t want to be PM under these circumstances. But generally? He strikes me as a man completely content in his life. He’s never had to try for anything, everyone he meets like him, and for some reason he has an endless parade of plump young would-be mistresses available for him. You have never been as sure of anything in your life as Boris is that everything, most importantly himself, is doing great.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Boris thinks he's Churchill and also thinks that Churchill was a good leader.

He probably just wants nanny to put him down for a nap, and cocaine has stolen all his naps from him.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I was interviewed on BBC World Service many years ago. I swear they put a posh audio filter on, much the same way that nobody really looks like that on Instagram. I refuse to accept that that is how I actually sound.

New Goon business venture: Desperate Dan grows mushrooms on his landed estate, Camrath has a special secret goon fudge code for the special secret goon mushroom fudge.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

If people abroad's experience of British accents is picked up from BBC World, then there is an assumption that that is how all Brits speak. BBC World is full on 'received pronunciation'.

One of my English friends living in Cairo picks up loads of tutoring English work because her accent is cut glass - she used to be housekeeper to a landed gentry on this green and pleasant land - and the parents want their kids to speak like her.

One of my mates at school came to England from Bangladesh when he was like 11, but his parents, being climbers, paid for an English tutor to give him a crash course in English and in fairness the bloke did a good job as he really did speak like a native - unfortunately though like a native of Middlesbrough because that's where the tutor was from, which marked him out *way* more than speaking with a Bangladeshi accent ever would have.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Trump has literally tried to overthrow democracy in the US with the subtlety of a mafia boss, and the techniques he and his supporters used are now spreading around the world in the hands of other hard-right shitheads, some of whom will make them stick. He's a racist, dumb, fascist bully driven entirely by spite and greed with an empire built on debt and bullshit, and he has a deranged cult of people with weapons and a willingness to use them hanging on his every word. He's not funny, he's the embodiment of the worst aspects of Western selfishness and entitlement, and I hope he dies making GBS threads himself inside-out from a Big Mac-induced prolapse before he has the chance to poison the world any further. Plus he has a stupid whiny voice.

Johnson, meanwhile, I take some small schadenfreudic pleasure in knowing that (unlike Trump) he has just enough self-awareness to realise he's made a horrible, horrible mistake by getting what he always wanted, but is now trapped in hell by his own ego. Unfortunately, he will in time wiggle out of any difficulties like he always has, and be rewarded for it.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 24, 2021

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i dunno I think he achieved what he wanted, being the biggest bestest boy, almost by accident and without really realising.

Taking advantage of a political movement you don't care about or understand because you assume everything will always be fine for you and so.. who cares really?

So what now, do gently caress all, twiddle the knobs, finally move on even more loaded than ever before.

Oh an actual crisis. Well. I'm pretty amazing, presumably I'll do something Churchillian. Oh no I'm poo poo and stuff is actually hard...

Then the realisation starts to set in, he has no wife or partner or confidant or even family member that he can trust because he can't even comprehend the concept.

Now having become too big to fail he rides fairgrounds with pepper pig hoping it will all come crashing down because he doesn't know how else to escape.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
https://twitter.com/electpoliticsuk/status/1463262332667236364?s=21

Source is the Sun and no MPs are named though so ehh.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Comrade Fakename posted:

Do you think he’s unhappy? At the moment, probably. He certainly didn’t want to be PM under these circumstances. But generally? He strikes me as a man completely content in his life. He’s never had to try for anything, everyone he meets like him, and for some reason he has an endless parade of plump young would-be mistresses available for him. You have never been as sure of anything in your life as Boris is that everything, most importantly himself, is doing great.

Well that's the thing though, politics has demanded he's actually had to marry and settle down with Posh Bird #3865 and even be involved with - or at least acknowledge the existence of - the kid she popped out, none of which are things he's been very keen on in the past. If the press ever grow a pair (lol) and subject him to 10% of the scrutiny a PM normally gets (or 0.1% of what Corbyn got) he'll just explode like an angler fish bought to the surface - he's never had to actually face consequences, or even mild criticism, his entire life.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Johnson is a proven master of deflection, using his self-deprecating posh bumbler persona to draw everyone's eyes from the thing he wants to hide. (There was an article a while back following him making pricey dinner speeches, where at one event he seemingly lost his notes and had to amusingly ad-lib through the event - then at the next event did exactly the same "Oh crumbs, I've messed up, left my speech in the taxi" routine, almost word for word.) The press is all "Peppa Pig, Boris is losing it lol", and meanwhile the new NHS privatisation bill cruises through despite a pretty big Tory rebellion, with almost no comment.

He's awful, and I genuinely think he's having a thoroughly unpleasant time right now :toot: , but a lot of his public face is all an act. Wasn't it revealed that people close to him don't even call him Boris?

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Carrie Johnson is about to give birth so if he can ride this out, we can expect the PM's popularity to rise slightly and then lots of journalists blaming having a newborn for Johnson's next gaff. We'll collectively ignore the household staff that the Johnsons can call upon and pretend that he's getting up to do the 3am feed.

If he is experiencing the 'buyers remorse' for marrying her then he'll simply have a couple of mistresses on the go and wait to divorce Mrs J when it's politically expedient, just like he got rid of all his other inconvenient families. Someone here posted the minimum term required for a PM to get the pension for life, at which point why would he bother any more? The only question is will he want to control when and how he goes by resigning, or face being kicked out either by his fellow Tories or the electorate?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

One of my mates at school came to England from Bangladesh when he was like 11, but his parents, being climbers, paid for an English tutor to give him a crash course in English and in fairness the bloke did a good job as he really did speak like a native - unfortunately though like a native of Middlesbrough because that's where the tutor was from, which marked him out *way* more than speaking with a Bangladeshi accent ever would have.

lmaooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i dunno I think he achieved what he wanted, being the biggest bestest boy, almost by accident and without really realising.

Taking advantage of a political movement you don't care about or understand because you assume everything will always be fine for you and so.. who cares really?

So what now, do gently caress all, twiddle the knobs, finally move on even more loaded than ever before.

Oh an actual crisis. Well. I'm pretty amazing, presumably I'll do something Churchillian. Oh no I'm poo poo and stuff is actually hard...

Then the realisation starts to set in, he has no wife or partner or confidant or even family member that he can trust because he can't even comprehend the concept.

Now having become too big to fail he rides fairgrounds with pepper pig hoping it will all come crashing down because he doesn't know how else to escape.

I think the reality is a decades long combination of booze, wealth and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBBkt1cljf0