Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Weatherman posted:

close enough

the version I like is "I've never paid to have a lentil on my face before"

Oh, for the days of my youth. When I did not have to pay to have a *lentil* on my face.

And that is how we snipe the page, gang; make note of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I thought the joke was garbanzo bean and chickpea since they’re the same thing. Is it really lentil? That’s less clever

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
is butchering the delivery of a joke the new joke? its garbanzo / chick pea not lentils lol

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I thought the joke was garbanzo bean and chickpea since they’re the same thing. Is it really lentil? That’s less clever

In the hurly-burly of threadposting sometimes you have to make sacrifices.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Very loving serious about the accuracy of legume identification in my watersports jokes

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

anti-bean chili people are history's greatest monsters

embrace the legume

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

chili is a sauce i don't care if has beans or not

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

chili is a sauce i don't care if has beans or not

If you're from ohio, yes, it's spaghetti sauce.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

HashtagGirlboss posted:

HashtagWhocares

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/23/business/best-buy-retail-theft/index.html

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
imagining the kind of simp that gets upset at theft from your workplace and laughing

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

honestly pretty clever corporate spin. they are learning more and more people do not give a poo poo about insured merch in a system that let's people starve and go into preventable diabetic comas.

so they coopt the language of mental health awareness and claim its not about the property, its about the mental health of their poor traumatized smol bean wage workers crestfallen someone stole that teevee

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

The bottom of the article is where they stick the fact that the corporation is seeing record profits and exceeding its projections. Anyway, don't mind that, shoplifting is totally a huge thing that employees cry over.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

"This is" is a weird way to spell "We are"

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

the best part is they couldn't be assed to add an actual human angle by providing a pull quote about a specific incident from an allegedly "traumatized" employee, the article is all sourced to the CEO

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Owlbear Camus posted:

the best part is they couldn't be assed to add an actual human angle by providing a pull quote about a specific incident from an allegedly "traumatized" employee, the article is all sourced to the CEO

the "trauma" of a customer stealing from your store: "oh, hey, you're fitting a dvd under your coat. uh don't do that, i'm stopping you, please give it back" "thank you for giving it back. now if you walk to the end cap on aisle 7, there are no cameras there and the same product. i am going to look away and reshelve this now while I forget your face or that we had this conversation"

e: i read the article and CNN way buried the lead. it's not one person taking a single product, it's apparently organized armed robbery which yeah, that could be traumatizing.

Arivia has issued a correction as of 22:04 on Nov 23, 2021

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The trauma is when your boss yells at you and then fires you for "letting it happen" I assume

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

The trauma is when your boss yells at you and then fires you for "letting it happen" I assume

i think its actually the store managers that get into trouble with regional managers for the shrink rate being high?

regular store employees can get fired for trying to stop stuff because one false arrest settlement probably covers the theft loss from a ton of stores

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Arivia posted:

the "trauma" of a customer stealing from your store: "oh, hey, you're fitting a dvd under your coat. uh don't do that, i'm stopping you, please give it back" "thank you for giving it back. now if you walk to the end cap on aisle 7, there are no cameras there and the same product. i am going to look away and reshelve this now while I forget your face or that we had this conversation"

e: i read the article and CNN way buried the lead. it's not one person taking a single product, it's apparently organized armed robbery which yeah, that could be traumatizing.

i never got the impression they were armed. just that they swarm a store with dozens of thieves at once so there's no way to apprehend them

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

i think its actually the store managers that get into trouble with regional managers for the shrink rate being high?

regular store employees can get fired for trying to stop stuff because one false arrest settlement probably covers the theft loss from a ton of stores

"I didn't say 'try to stop them' I said 'don't let it happen'!!"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also the whole "the real threat is the roving gangs of organized shoplifters" thing has been a talking point for a while now too, presumably because then you can fill in your own blanks about the motivation and racial makeup of the Big Evil Gang instead of just imagining some sad mother trying to get baby formula or whatever. And I'm sure it has actually happened in some cases, therefore it's a real phenomena that happens everywhere all the time!!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

that reminds me there was a shoplifting subreddit at one point where idiots would brag about their hauls from stores, most of which they got away with because the stores really didn't care. except target. the posts about stealing stuff from target always had comments like "you idiot, the cops are probably on their way to your house right now." see, target just recorded everything, crossreferenced the thief car would drive and sent nice reports to local PDs when the threshold for a felony (potentially over multiple trips!) had been crossed so the local detectives and prosecutors had to do almost nothing to get a big conviction.

this is just all with a human at the store looking at cameras and writing stuff down!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

that reminds me there was a shoplifting subreddit at one point where idiots would brag about their hauls from stores, most of which they got away with because the stores really didn't care. except target. the posts about stealing stuff from target always had comments like "you idiot, the cops are probably on their way to your house right now." see, target just recorded everything, crossreferenced the thief car would drive and sent nice reports to local PDs when the threshold for a felony (potentially over multiple trips!) had been crossed so the local detectives and prosecutors had to do almost nothing to get a big conviction.

this is just all with a human at the store looking at cameras and writing stuff down!

There was also an fplus ep about that (and the associated tumblrs) that was real good: https://thefpl.us/episode/217

Some of the dumbest motherfuckers in that ep, goddamn.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

i never got the impression they were armed. just that they swarm a store with dozens of thieves at once so there's no way to apprehend them

there's a mention in the article of the thieves carrying guns or knives.

frankly i'm just critiquing the presentation of the article, it feels pretty shittily sourced and i would not be surprised if another more substantiative source fundamentally disagreed with it, but I'm not validating its factual nature, just its organization.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I used to manage the electronics dept of a Walmart and it was just a fun game to me to stop the organized thieves. The employees who got their pants in a bunch over theft were the biggest bootlickers ever.

A front end cashier had a gun pulled on her and yeah, that's real trauma. A bunch of people running in and grabbing merch off the shelves and running off isn't.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
when I worked at Best Buy 20 years ago, 90% of the shrinkage came from employees. they work fill cheap empty refrigerator boxes with expensive stuff, someone would come in and buy a “fridge” and walk out with the goods

at one point like 2/3rds the store got fired over it, but not me.

my scheme was foolproof

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

nexous posted:

when I worked at Best Buy 20 years ago, 90% of the shrinkage came from employees. they work fill cheap empty refrigerator boxes with expensive stuff, someone would come in and buy a “fridge” and walk out with the goods

at one point like 2/3rds the store got fired over it, but not me.

my scheme was foolproof

As a career dumpster diver, the most common avenue of employee theft is by putting stuff in the trash to be fished out later.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

tokin opposition posted:

imagining the kind of simp that gets upset at theft from your workplace and laughing

it sucks when the people stealing from the place where you work also engage in assault and battery ime

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Arivia posted:

yeah it's having a gun pointed at you when you would happily turn around and walk away if the shitheads would let you

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

And then they take it out on their line members, browbeating them for "letting it happen"

then cut their hours or whatever unofficial "punishments"

basically it sucks for the employees because they know they're hosed no matter what happens.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

hobbesmaster posted:

Stop self snitching

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I once stole a pog.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Caring about shoplifting is the problem of security staff that the company is too cheap to hire lol

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1463258567360884744?s=20

cool

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Relevant Tangent posted:

yeah it's having a gun pointed at you when you would happily turn around and walk away if the shitheads would let you

the youth version of complaining about price changes to the cashier

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Funko and NFTs
Two poo poo tastes that taste poo poo together

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Kim Bong Chill posted:

This article accurately breaks down the problems Seattle/King County faces and the solutions necessary to fix it.

https://www.mckinsey.com/industries/public-and-social-sector/our-insights/why-does-prosperous-king-county-have-a-homelessness-crisis

Ultimately, a regional, multi-pronged solution is necessary in order for the region to resolve the homeless problem. Allowing tent camps, RV street parking, and long term homelessness without intervention isn’t a viable path forward.

Seattle, like any major city, shouldn’t tolerate petty street and property crime because someone has a tent nearby. If someone is arrested it is simple, get them a referral, get them temp housing, get them off the street.

What’s that? The city doesn’t have units? Build them. Homeless person refuses treatment? Cool, book em. Camp is unsafe or unsanitary? Clear it. Homelessness can be fixed but there can be nuance between total tolerance and letting people die on the street.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

A victory for the most cspam thread, the Seattle LAN thread

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

Shame Boy posted:

Also the whole "the real threat is the roving gangs of organized shoplifters" thing has been a talking point for a while now too, presumably because then you can fill in your own blanks about the motivation and racial makeup of the Big Evil Gang instead of just imagining some sad mother trying to get baby formula or whatever. And I'm sure it has actually happened in some cases, therefore it's a real phenomena that happens everywhere all the time!!

how do you ply your trade as a professional shoplifter without a fence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Line Feed posted:

Funko and NFTs
Two poo poo tastes that taste poo poo together