Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
Definitely didn't know that. Pretty cool, annoying, but cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maenad
Nov 16, 2021

Dionysio
What would be a good faction or two to try on 1.32 for a relatively newbie player? (Assume access to all DLC/missions.)

Took an interest in Paradox games a couple of years ago as an expression of pop history, but EU4 has seemed too broken to play since 1.30 until now. Not really a GSG player by any measure, but I'm interested in the setting and have already played a few games as the Ottomans, and other noob starts, back before Emperor.

Would France or Austria be worth attempting? (Thank you.)

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Portugal is the quintessential new player country: Big historical friend to protect you (Castille/Spain), easy access to colonies, good mission tree, and plenty of ways to get massively rich.

France is a bit more challenging in the beginning than it used to be but still has easy potential for snowballing out hard, and fast if you're aggressive and constantly crush everyone around you for cash flow.

Austria is a completely different experience to the two above and requires constant diplomacy and occasional mass conquest. If you're careful you can become perma-emperor quickly and then go romping across the map letting your vassal swarm eat everything.

All three are decent new player countries with Portugal being the easiest and Austria being, imo, the hardest due to needing to understand more mechanics.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Rynoto speaks the truth. Portugal is probably an essential starting nation, but the issue with all those big powerful dudes is they have to many plates to spin. Like Portugal has to control armies all over the world, France and Austria can accidentally step into a coalition war which ia very stressful for a new player.

I always recommend Muscowy. Most people would probably have a passing familiarity with the neighborhood but not enough to concentrate on what EU4 doesn't represent. There's very clear path to greatness paved for Muscowy and you'll be able to observe important European developments without getting involved. Russian colonization and trade does not require navy so you won't have as many things to keep an eye on. There are also some achievements worth chasing, like rush for the control of Siberia, as well as powerful adversaries like Ottomans, so there is challenge if you want it.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Portugal got a bit harder with Golden Century in my experience, as Castile gets a Claim Throne CB through missions once they trigger the Iberian wedding; this turns them to domineering and will break the alliance more often than not.

However, they don't always go for the actual war, it's mostly just annoying for the alliance breaking.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I haven't tried it in a DLC or two but I wouldn't recommend Muscowy to a new player. Your manpower isn't great starting out, the initial Novgorod war is a relatively even match, and a strong Denmark/Sweden or Commonwealth basically shuts you, the inexperienced player, out of eastern Europe for a few hundred years. The steppes to the south aren't great, can't be converted easily, and have the fun feature of accidentally fighting a horde army on flat terrain. Add in that the Ottomans will probably at least show up in Crimea and you're set up for a frustrating opening, even if you suddenly get to blossom after getting through the opening.

Of course if Lithuania explodes then almost none of this matters and you're golden as you quickly devour a bunch of tiny tags.

I love the Ottomans as my easy start game and I keep coming back to them to blow off steam. If the Timurids don't collapse you can usually ally them so your only real immediate threat is the Mamluks (who you can take on once you've consolidated Anatolia and Greece). In the worst case (early Austria-Hungary) you can just bide your time in Europe until Austria gets entangled in the League War, by which time you have a massive army from the Middle East and can easily smash your way to Vienna in a couple decades.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

any tag likely to end up with a direct border with the ottomans in the mid-game just by following the path of least resistance is not really what i would call newbie-friendly. i mean you could argue that a new player's first few games should be played with the expectation that they're going to get sucker-punched by the GPs in the 1600s (you should expect that even as a veteran, you'll just have more tricks to deal with it) but ending up at odds with spain or france usually isn't quite so dangerous as the ottomans

castile's probably the most straightforward beginner tag, being portugal but stronger. england is pretty breezy unless you try to stick it to france early. the malaysia/indonesia area is also pretty friendly other than needing to be aware of the necessity of developing institutions manually

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 22, 2021

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Is there a way to stop/slow the spread of the revolution? My game has no country turned revolutionary yet, but it appeared on my capital despite high stability and being the top nation, and it's spreading all over and wrecking my beautifully low autonomy all over the place!

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I disliked Portugal as you have to sit around doing nothing for like 10 years. Castile is good though.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Jazerus posted:

any tag likely to end up with a direct border with the ottomans in the mid-game just by following the path of least resistance is not really what i would call newbie-friendly. i mean you could argue that a new player's first few games should be played with the expectation that they're going to get sucker-punched by the GPs in the 1600s (you should expect that even as a veteran, you'll just have more tricks to deal with it) but ending up at odds with spain or france usually isn't quite so dangerous as the ottomans

castile's probably the most straightforward beginner tag, being portugal but stronger. england is pretty breezy unless you try to stick it to france early. the malaysia/indonesia area is also pretty friendly other than needing to be aware of the necessity of developing institutions manually

I don't think England is a good beginner start considering it starts with an event-triggered aggressive war with France, and then another event-triggered civil war. I tried it out as my starting country and that (along with getting the parliament mechanic popup) was very confusing.

I think one of the big Indian or Southeast Asian countries make for good starting tags, along with the Ottomans. Not too many unique mechanics to cause additional confusion to a new player, big enough to gently caress up, clear and easy expansion routes and goals. The only thing you have to know/remember for Asian countries is to develop institutions.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Anbennar chat: Doing an Esthil run on the bitbucket version. (Start as Order of the Iron Scepter to be able to form them.) They get a cool mission tree focused around having your ruler become a lich (you get a mission to steal the Necronomicon which sets your necromancy skill to max so you don't have to spend years researching it and probably die of old age before you finish) and building an undead kingdom. Then once you hit the Age of Witch Kings if you win the Wars of Consolidation by taking 100 provinces in Escann you can form the Black Demesne who, while currently unfinished and missing most of their flavour text, get a crazy huge mission tree, their own religion, and some weird and OP-sounding new vassal swarm mechanics. You can create special subjects called acolytes who then get their own estate and you get a special CB/peace option that lets you full-annex neighbouring countries. Also researching spells has been reworked, now instead of having event-influenced RNG determine success or failure after X years of study, you get a progress bar to fill via events so you'll always succeed eventually unless you abort or die. Big improvement imo.

For anyone who wants to try the run, you might want to hold off hitting that 100 province mark until you've finished the Esthil mission tree since the Black Demesne one replaces it. Some time after you hit the 100 provinces, an event fires which afaik is your only chance to form Black Demesne so you have to take it there and then. You could also rush most of the Esthil tree before then, though you'll want to prioritise "Settle the North" since it involves culture conversions which means a lot of waiting on separatism to tick down and then the conversion to go through. (Or you could cheat and use the console.) However one the Esthil missions involves having your lich rule for 150 years which I was still waiting on when the formation event fired. I missed out on a couple of nice permanent modifiers due to not finishing the tree before forming BD.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Anbennar: The Wars of Consolidation end immediately 50 years after they start so generally around 1660 unless you have already consolidated the Escann region + 2 areas that start greentided in which case it never starts and fires off the event ~1650. The 100 provinces thing is purely a hardline for whether you win or not and you can be well over 100 before it starts as long as you haven't fully consolidated and still then get the CB + 50years to fully control Escann.

This also affected my Elikhand (New Wanderers formable) into Castanor run as finishing off all the Wonders in time is a challenge before it triggers. Although, arguably the Dove Crown option is the most powerful of the Consolidation formables anyways as you then get a very easy empire vassal swarm.

If you want to form big mega-escann nations it's really decided in the first 30 or so years in the colonization phase. You want to snake everywhere cutting off and taking as much orc land as possible before smacking that settle button on top of Castonath. You can easily have tendrils in every corner of Escann by that point then sit beating up all your fellow non-monstrous rivals in the area for money so they get overrun by orcs/goblins then use anti-monstrous CB to reconquer those provinces. Using this method you can conquer the entire superregion before 1600. If you're even more lucky then Grombar/Frozenmaw will conquer the entire north so you eat them too for the Vrorenmarch area. Corvuria is a pushover outside the empire so that's Dostanor. Getting an elf ruler also helps as running a perma-6/6/6 helps with the constant conquest, less useful with the Lich thing for Esthil but even then you should conquer the forest earlier rather than later anyways.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Nov 22, 2021

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I got the event to form BD around 1660 not 1760

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Wafflecopper posted:

I got the event to form BD around 1660 not 1760

Because I'm a dumbass who got dates wrong :v: The Consolidation wars are tied to the age flip to Witch Kings.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
...I think my Inca game is screwed.

Spain and Portugal are allies. They first attacked me before I reformed, in 1580, took like 7 provinces. As soon as the truce has ended they've attacked again. This time they don't have to do naval invasion, their troops are all there. They have more troops than I do and naturally they have better tech and national ideas, especially the Spanish. I'm rusty and I don't expect Cuzco-Inca to be a walk in the park, but previously I've played as other American nationa, was weaker than my current Incas and successfully dominated. I feel they've really improved the AI. Plus I'm probably unlucky cause from what I see no one in Europe is threatening Spain hegemony.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sephyr posted:

Is there a way to stop/slow the spread of the revolution? My game has no country turned revolutionary yet, but it appeared on my capital despite high stability and being the top nation, and it's spreading all over and wrecking my beautifully low autonomy all over the place!
I had this happen to me once and I just waited it out. It eventually failed because it did not spread to 100% of my provinces and I stayed stabl.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 23, 2021

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Is there any reason to leave an area as a territory instead of a state with territorial cores other than just state maintenance?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Staltran posted:

Is there any reason to leave an area as a territory instead of a state with territorial cores other than just state maintenance?

If you can make it into a Trade Company then free merchants if you get over 50% in that node along with the unique buildings.

Maenad
Nov 16, 2021

Dionysio
Thanks for the replies everyone. Will try Portugal, France, and Austria; and maybe somewhere in South/South-East Asia.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

ilitarist posted:

...I think my Inca game is screwed.

Spain and Portugal are allies. They first attacked me before I reformed, in 1580, took like 7 provinces. As soon as the truce has ended they've attacked again. This time they don't have to do naval invasion, their troops are all there. They have more troops than I do and naturally they have better tech and national ideas, especially the Spanish. I'm rusty and I don't expect Cuzco-Inca to be a walk in the park, but previously I've played as other American nationa, was weaker than my current Incas and successfully dominated. I feel they've really improved the AI. Plus I'm probably unlucky cause from what I see no one in Europe is threatening Spain hegemony.

I've played a couple of games in the Americas and in this new patch Europeans definitely have a hateboner for murdering natives*. As Hawaii I had to fight multiple hellwars to push England eastwards. Initially I was aided by France who had them as rivals, but as soon as I took a province on the Gulf of Mexico they broke the alliance because they had a massive Want Your Provinces Bro modifier.

*points for historical accuracy tho

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Rynoto posted:

If you can make it into a Trade Company then free merchants if you get over 50% in that node along with the unique buildings.

But that's the only thing, right? This is the first game I've played in a couple years, and when I last played the game still had the state limit. I had assumed that territorial cores in states still had the full state governing capacity usage, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Bohemia: best nation for doing the HRE thing now?

Because that monument in Prague is a huge thing, and as Bohemia you get it on level 2 for free which means 0.1 Imperial Authority per month. You do have to convert the city but that's easily doable without having to unlock any idea groups. Also of course you have to get elected.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Staltran posted:

Sure, states can get expensive to maintain and won't pay for themselves without full cores in wrong culture/religion land.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Staltran posted:

If your brain can tolerate having that uncored provinces icon at the top of your screen indefinitely you're not human. Likewise if you can bring yourself to hide it (what if you need it later??)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Groke posted:

Bohemia: best nation for doing the HRE thing now?

Because that monument in Prague is a huge thing, and as Bohemia you get it on level 2 for free which means 0.1 Imperial Authority per month. You do have to convert the city but that's easily doable without having to unlock any idea groups. Also of course you have to get elected.

Or use the time travel trick to get Religious Peace in the Empire at the start, so you can flip Hussite.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Or use the time travel trick to get Religious Peace in the Empire at the start, so you can flip Hussite.

That's fun if you like exploits but will still get you a pretty huge malus to IA for everyone else not being Hussite.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Groke posted:

That's fun if you like exploits but will still get you a pretty huge malus to IA for everyone else not being Hussite.

Sad...

I just really like going Hussite. It's fun.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Really wish that there was a way to just start as any of the releasable cheevo nations. I'd like to do the Saruhan one, but having to start as a vassal and sit around for 5 (more like 10 while waiting for allies) years always feels so skeevy to me.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Sad...

I just really like going Hussite. It's fun.

Yeah, just not really compatible with going all-out in the HRE dance from game start.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

I just realized they fixed the black flag yourself exploit (ask for access permission, enter province, go back to own province, cancel access, reenter the province you had asked access to). Makes moving across the HRE very annoying.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Re: Bohemia chat. Just started a game with the intention of trying the HRE thing, and... got a 6/5/4 ruler, and randomly got elected Emperor within a couple of years.

Guess I'm done being lucky for a while.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Maenad posted:

Thanks for the replies everyone. Will try Portugal, France, and Austria; and maybe somewhere in South/South-East Asia.

Play one of the majors in India. Until you learn how to deal with coalition mechanics actually doing anything in western europe sucks

Maenad
Nov 16, 2021

Dionysio

Firebatgyro posted:

Play one of the majors in India. Until you learn how to deal with coalition mechanics actually doing anything in western europe sucks

Could you elaborate on how you would deal with coalitions? (Beyond simply waiting it out.) I've played a bit before, to be clear, more returning than complete noob.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Maenad posted:

Could you elaborate on how you would deal with coalitions? (Beyond simply waiting it out.) I've played a bit before, to be clear, more returning than complete noob.

you just declare war as soon as they start to form, so one coalition never gets overwhelming. either beat them up and just steal money to AE burns down, or if you're relatively dominant (post-1500) just take land from each half-coalition (or third, or, etc.)

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Take Diplomatic ideas early, constantly improve relations with everyone around you (countries can't join a coalition against you if their opinion is positive)

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

One of the most satisfying things to do in this game it to take like 100 AE worth of land from a coalition war against you.

"No I haven't learned my lesson :smug:"

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
coalitions are easily avoidable since they wont form if the coalition members arent roughly as powerful as you are. meaning if you just stagger your truces with the most powerful would-be members of the coalition, all the lovely little OPMs wont even begin to form it.
also there is no "waiting it out" when you get to several hundred points of AE, your bed is made

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
An easy way to deal with AE early on with a large neighbor is to take a cheap core of theirs then just keep beating them up until they get full conquered by their other neighbors. Release that core as your vassal from and use the reconquest CB on all the others for a fraction of the AE. You can be doing this with 4-5 nations at once if you snake around and make sure to keep the truce timer as short as possible* (just take gold after the first province and dissolve any large alliances) while making sure their armies are wiped out.

Once you grow fat enough that no one will mess with you and your vassal swarm then you go wild eating everyone. Diplo-Admin-Influence opener is incredibly strong if you don't mind going behind in dip tech.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Nov 24, 2021

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Maenad posted:

Basically what everyone else said, but also looking for/forcing excommunicated targets, praying for papal controller, chaining wars to avoid unlawful territory, and various other things.

Tags in India / SE Asia are way more fun because the variety of religions gives you a lot more leeway with conquering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Groke posted:

Re: Bohemia chat. Just started a game with the intention of trying the HRE thing, and... got a 6/5/4 ruler, and randomly got elected Emperor within a couple of years.

Guess I'm done being lucky for a while.

And, even without much more special luck than that, except for Sir Chadlord lasting over 40 years... Full revoke in 1521. No exploits or other trickery. The HRE stretches from just inside France to a bit of the Balkans, and all of Italy except Naples and the Pope. Also have PUs over Poland and Lithuania, and outright own Norway. Scotland still independent, so the British Isles are wide open.

If I can't get a One Faith out of this I will eat my mousepad.