Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yesterday I got a bad luck fortune from Katrina and so I paid her to lift the curse. The lucky item she sent me today was her crystal ball. TIME TO PONDER MY ORB!

https://twitter.com/kaiju_sommelier/status/1463146544840921099?s=21

Do islands get different items or something from her? Iv had five golden turtles and nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Moose-Alini posted:

Do islands get different items or something from her? Iv had five golden turtles and nothing else.

I've gotten a horseshoe for my front door and a crystal ball from Katrina after bad luck fortunes so far.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Moose-Alini posted:

It will randomly choose between like 5 items and there's no mechanism to prevent you from getting repeats/help you cycle through what you don't have.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Got a fake David yesterday and love the fact it is taller than the silo I put it next to.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Moose-Alini posted:

So far I have the orb, the horseshoe door decoration, a gold tortoise, and a mini Daruma. Frankly I'm more interested in getting a bad fortune from her because the items you get are great.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Frankly I'm more interested in getting a bad fortune from her because the items you get are great.

Same. I have orb, turtle (the best), and daruma; kinda wish I didn't know there were only five.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Lacrosse posted:

I got her on my HHP island, she wanted a Christmas themed vacation home :3:

Oh, that's precious. I hope she shows up on mine, I stupidly forgot to give her chocolates before she left.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Moose-Alini posted:

I got a turtle the other day, and my wife got the :orb: today.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I've gotten orb, turtle, Mini Dharma, and horse shoe. No idea if there's more.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

e: good boy Cranston has found a new home :)

someone awful. fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 24, 2021

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

If you have a neighbor's picture hanging on a wall and they come over to visit, be sure to show it to them.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Waffle! posted:

If you have a neighbor's picture hanging on a wall and they come over to visit, be sure to show it to them.

this is also good life advice in general

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Celeste is here tonight!

Details in the pgs thread !

LonelyMudkip
Jul 19, 2016

The update/DLC got me playing again after a very long break! Now I'm in the middle of renovating my island which is taking a long-rear end time without timetraveling.
Anyway, island's open cause Redd is here. Details in PGS

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The last time I got the good luck with money fortune, I got a gold nugget. Today I got the good luck with money fortune and found two gold nuggets. The stuff I’ve read hasn’t said that it increases the odds that you’ll get a gold nugget, but the last three I’ve gotten have only come on days I get that fortune. I also think that bad luck with money makes you unable to find gold nuggets… seems like it would make sense, right?

cats
May 11, 2009
Apparently good luck with Belongings renders your tools unbreakable for the day. I've been digging up clams for bait like crazy, and moving flowers around, and my shovel has been going strong all day.

Bad luck with belongings makes your tools break more frequently, I believe.

Is luck set for the day regardless of whether you talk to Katrina or not, and she just spells it out for you? Or do the effects only kick in after talking to her? I assume it's the former but figured I'd ask.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Pianist On Strike posted:

Apparently good luck with Belongings renders your tools unbreakable for the day. I've been digging up clams for bait like crazy, and moving flowers around, and my shovel has been going strong all day.

Bad luck with belongings makes your tools break more frequently, I believe.

Is luck set for the day regardless of whether you talk to Katrina or not, and she just spells it out for you? Or do the effects only kick in after talking to her? I assume it's the former but figured I'd ask.

The effects only kick in after you talk to her as far as I can tell. You're not just going to have a random day where your tools don't break I think. It's enough to convince me that she's my first stop of the day, at least.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Zutaten posted:

The effects only kick in after you talk to her as far as I can tell. You're not just going to have a random day where your tools don't break I think. It's enough to convince me that she's my first stop of the day, at least.

The first few times I got *bad* luck from Katrina, I didn't bother clearing the curse (it's a shakedown! :argh:) Then I find out that when you do, you can get goodies. And since then, wanting some of those goodies, I've had an unbroken run of good luck :doh:

cats
May 11, 2009

Zutaten posted:

OK yeah that makes sense. I was just wondering cause the other day it seemed like my tools were breaking like crazy but I was pretty sure I hadn't spoken to Katrina yet. I probably did, and just forgot.

And same, I now make a beeline for her first thing in the morning.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

I got a diminishing health bad fortune today, and I've been tripping all over the place!

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The last time I got the good luck with money fortune, I got a gold nugget. Today I got the good luck with money fortune and found two gold nuggets. The stuff I’ve read hasn’t said that it increases the odds that you’ll get a gold nugget, but the last three I’ve gotten have only come on days I get that fortune. I also think that bad luck with money makes you unable to find gold nuggets… seems like it would make sense, right?

This page is a good resource for the fortunes (scroll down). But basically yes, good money fortunes increase gold nugget chances, increase the bell amount in the money spot, higher value money from trees and rocks. Bad money does the opposite, almost.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Weird and pointless Animal Crossing fact: a full inventory of gold nugget stacks sells for 12 million bells.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

We had Kabuki almost try to leave the island, so we quit without talking to him. Yesterday we saw that Ozzy wanted to leave (my pick), and she was happy to have him gone, as she never liked Ozzy. But the pick for villager this time was mine, so I'm getting my revenge. I'm using my Pietro card to have that rainbow murder ram join our island tomorrow.

HONK HONK

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Villager hunting time. Looking for a tolerable lazy or peppy to get crafting recipes from who hasn't lived with me before, but open to others.

Annalisa, Rhonda, Tad, Opal, Bubbles, Mathilda, Graham, Bud (whyyyy isn't the stoner lion a lazy), Beardo, Mallary, Melba, Freckles, O'Hare, Raddle, Alli, Bertha, Lobo, Broffina, Rooney, Violet, Lucky (former resident), Elise, Grizzly, Sandy, Truffles, Rocket, Peggy, Blaire

If I didn't have a specific goal I would have taken several of these guys. But I did. So I've come home with Walker.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Oh drat! She said I would have good luck with bells and I shook a bell tree and I think I got extra? But now I'm not sure if maybe I imagined it. Has that happened to anyone else?

My partner laughed like a drain at Katrina and I'm not sure why, but I do want to boop her fuzzy blue face :kimchi:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Mercury Hat posted:

This page is a good resource for the fortunes (scroll down). But basically yes, good money fortunes increase gold nugget chances, increase the bell amount in the money spot, higher value money from trees and rocks. Bad money does the opposite, almost.

Balloons will drop 5000 bells as well if you shoot down the right one after a good money luck fortune.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Oh drat! She said I would have good luck with bells and I shook a bell tree and I think I got extra? But now I'm not sure if maybe I imagined it. Has that happened to anyone else?

My partner laughed like a drain at Katrina and I'm not sure why, but I do want to boop her fuzzy blue face :kimchi:

YEEeeeee!
I love her :3:

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Well I just learned if you get a kappn tour to a shooting star island in the morning if you put your switch on sleep mode when you return after work it’ll be sunny as hell :negative:

At least the rocks still give star bits

Prowler
May 24, 2004

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Balloons will drop 5000 bells as well if you shoot down the right one after a good money luck fortune.

Balloons can drop up to 30k bells without good luck given by Katrina.

...did you mean 50k?

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Desperate Character posted:

Well I just learned if you get a kappn tour to a shooting star island in the morning if you put your switch on sleep mode when you return after work it’ll be sunny as hell :negative:

At least the rocks still give star bits
If you wish on the falling stars at that island, there will be star fragments on your island's beach the next day!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Joan showed up in my hospital and gave me free turnips. It also happened to be the day I finished the DLC so I was able to get her down to the beach for the dance party,

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
So I just got an online subscription so I can visit islands and sell turnips. On the turnip exchange I see people asking for bells or gifts as a donation for visiting the island. What's the etiquette / how do I leave gifts? Whats the likely hood of getting griefed when visiting someone's island? I'm going to help my mom explore online NH but I'd like to shield her from the horrors of online gaming as much as possible.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

there's not really much someone can do to grief you when you're visiting their island tbh. people can mess up your town a little bit by like, picking all the flowers or whatever when they visit yours, but there's not much they can do that will truly permanently damage your stuff unless you give them permission to use shovels/axes (and why would you do that?).

i dunno how pubbies handle things, but visiting goons is always extremely chill. if you're selling turnips, drop a bag of bells as a tip, just to be kind/courteous, but i'm pretty sure we'd laugh anyone asking for mandatory tipping/paying in NMTs or whatever off the face of the earth.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Hughmoris posted:

So I just got an online subscription so I can visit islands and sell turnips. On the turnip exchange I see people asking for bells or gifts as a donation for visiting the island. What's the etiquette / how do I leave gifts? Whats the likely hood of getting griefed when visiting someone's island? I'm going to help my mom explore online NH but I'd like to shield her from the horrors of online gaming as much as possible.

I take a few wrapped presents to leave around people's islands. If I'm visiting to sell turnips I'll leave a tip for $10k or so. Now that you can craft a donation box, it's easier/safer to use the box rather than just dropping cash on the ground.

I think some light littering is ok, but I'll never forgive the rando that showed up and dumped an entire inventory's worth of fossils on my island. It took me months to give them all away! Don't offload your crap on someone else, it's rude!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Waffle! posted:

I take a few wrapped presents to leave around people's islands. If I'm visiting to sell turnips I'll leave a tip for $10k or so. Now that you can craft a donation box, it's easier/safer to use the box rather than just dropping cash on the ground.

This was really smart of them and idk why they didn’t think of it sooner. There are a lot of QoL upgrades in the 2.0 update that I wish had been rolled out 6-12 months earlier.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

the donation box is very frustrating because 1) you can only donate 1k bells at a time, which is slow and miserable, and 2) it makes you yell "I donated some Bells!" for all to hear, every single time you put 1k in the slot

it sucks, 'cause it's a great idea, but like... the execution, oof

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

That's dumb. I didn't know that.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Hughmoris posted:

I would avoid big public servers like the turnip exchange. There be monsters. Come join the raccoon goon discord, it's a much smaller group and nobody ever demands anything from visitors and I don't think we've had any deliberate griefers except when someone was also open in the public threads here.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

someone awful. posted:

the donation box is very frustrating because 1) you can only donate 1k bells at a time, which is slow and miserable, and 2) it makes you yell "I donated some Bells!" for all to hear, every single time you put 1k in the slot

it sucks, 'cause it's a great idea, but like... the execution, oof

I was on someone's island a couple days ago selling my 'nips and decided to drop some dough in their donation box. The island chat just had me saying "I donated some Bells!" over and over again, forcing me to explain that I wasn't repeatedly typing the sentence like an overenthusiastic charity worker or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

https://twitter.com/terminator_8464/status/1463421411947687942?s=21