Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it was really funny when echo tried to go back to being a street level hero after gaining the power of the phoenix which she cannot comprehend or control, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've been enjoying the hell out of Aaron's Avengers. It's some Marvel-rear end Marvel bullshit, and I love it.

I don't even think the creator-owned stuff he's done would translate particularly well into Marvel.

Make more Southern Bastards, coward Jason Aaron.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I'll say this for Aaron's Avengers, it does not want for plot threads. I'm interested in seeing if there's something that links all of them together or if instead he'll keep wrapping them up one by one, like he seemed to do with Coulson and the Squadron Supreme in Heroes Reborn, and kind of seems to be with the Atlantis and Red Widow machinations in the current World War She-Hulk storyline.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Endless Mike posted:

Make more Southern Bastards, coward Jason Aaron.

https://www.comicsbeat.com/jason-latour-misconduct-allegations/

Gonna suggest that isn't gonna and probably shouldn't happen.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Saoshyant posted:

As far as I see, Jason Aaron had done great work with Scalper and Punisher MAX, and then had a rather fun run with Wolverine and the X-Men, and at some point after that the quality started dropping off a cliff, at first slowly, but then speeding up. With a non-stop drop, gravity doing its thing fall, any affection towards Aaron's work has long gone cold. It's weird.

His Thor run, which went for 7 years, ranges for okay to loving excellent.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

danbanana posted:

https://www.comicsbeat.com/jason-latour-misconduct-allegations/

Gonna suggest that isn't gonna and probably shouldn't happen.

Ack! Missed this one apparently!

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

I haven't really enjoyed his Avengers, and it's been a while since I read it, but his Ghost Rider run was pretty great from what I remember. His Wolverine work was fun too. I bet if Avengers was just a Blade book it'd be more in the neighborhood of his Thor, which I loved personally. I think he is kinda like Cates in that their work seems to be everything should be METAL AF and the Avengers just are not.

poo poo, I'd forgotten his crazy and silly Wolverine and the X-Men run after Schism. There was a circus arc!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Lucifunk posted:

I think he is kinda like Cates in that their work seems to be everything should be METAL AF and the Avengers just are not.

Ugh do not associate Cates with Aaron. Cates is what happens when someone who read the OG Image books and thought the stories were the best part got a job writing comics.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Endless Mike posted:

Ack! Missed this one apparently!

I honestly only remembered that because I very much liked Southern Bastards and when that news came out my reaction was "welp no more Southern Bastards!"

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Aaron's Avengers feels -- in theory, on paper -- like it should be exactly the sort of high-concept stuff that I dig, in that "smashing toys together" way that everyone has already brought up. In practice though, it's gotten so that I become anxious whenever I hear any of his ideas and terrified of what new nonsense he might inflict on the characters he writes. Whose turn is it gonna be to become subjected to ä̶̢̟ ̸̯̈J̵̼̞̃a̴͓͓͒s̸̳͑o̸̦͇͆͊n̷̹̕͝ ̶̪̓A̷̢̝̾a̶̩̼͝r̸̡̼̐o̷͈̊n̴̩͐ ̵̨͇͛à̴͚r̵̲̳̒̚c̴̮͐?̷̺̔ :ohdear: Moon Knight? :ohdear: Phoenix? :ohdear: She-Hulk? :ohdear:

Which is not to say there haven't been great parts as well. Baby Starbrand, for instance, is a monumentally superior Starbrand to the Starbrand we had before.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

danbanana posted:

Ugh do not associate Cates with Aaron. Cates is what happens when someone who read the OG Image books and thought the stories were the best part got a job writing comics.

Just to give props to my boy Erik here, Savage Dragon was great from day one. He's a pretty talented writer. But it is true most of the line-up wasn't so hot. Spawn was good for a bit. But I see what you're saying in that this Donny fellow looks to be Xtreme as we say. But who isn't a bit Xtreme from time to time.

How about that X-Men 97 cartoon Disney greenlit? Sequel to the ol' classic animated series. Fun idea, worth a try, I hope they keep some of the flavor and the look a bit etc. And for sure the theme song.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Possibly a dumb question, but what’s the significance of it being ‘97? Is it solely because it originally ended in ‘97 and it’s just going to continue on from where it left off or is going to be like x-men comics were in the mid to late ‘90’s (shudders)? Have any of the original voice actors signed on?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Everything We Know About X-Men 97 So Far, an article about everything we know about X-Men '97 so far, found on the website Slashfilm via Google.

quote:

"X-Men '97" is aptly titled, as the Wrap reported the new cartoon will pick up exactly where the classic animated series left off.

quote:

The Wrap reported that "X-Men '97" will have a mixture of new and returning cast members. Fans can expect the familiar voices of Cal Dodd, Catherine Disher, Alison Sealy-Smith, and George Buza, who will be playing Wolverine, Jean Grey, Storm, and Beast, respectively. They will be joined by fellow veteran cast members Lenore Zann as Rogue, Adrian Hough as Nightcrawler, Alyson Court as Jubilee, Christopher Britton as Mister Sinister, and Chris Potter as Gambit. Rounding out the cast will be new voices: Jennifer Hale, Anniwaa Buachie, Ray Chase, Matthew Waterson, JP Karliak, Holly Chou, Jeff Bennett, and AJ LoCascio. Thankfully, the series has chosen to employ professional voice actors, rather than hiring major stars in an effort to attract viewers. "X-Men: The Animated Series" already has a built-in fanbase.

Read More: https://www.slashfilm.com/664004/everything-we-know-about-x-men-97-so-far/?utm_campaign=clip

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I'd really rather have a new animated series. XMTAS was something truly special, and I don't see the point in doing it again.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

I'm okay with them continuing XMTAS because then they'll be forced to adapt newer X-Men stories. They already chewed through all the 80s and 90s classic (and even some not so classic) story lines.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The Cyclops voice actors from both the 90s and Evolution both died. That's a bummer to find out.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

At least Gambit will be the same!
: )

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

iceyman posted:

I'm okay with them continuing XMTAS because then they'll be forced to adapt newer X-Men stories. They already chewed through all the 80s and 90s classic (and even some not so classic) story lines.

Morrison's run in the 90s style would be amazing, though I'd rather if they do an animated version they try and approximate Quietly's art the same way 90s X-Men adapted Jim Lee's.

I hope they bring in a couple new members, I know he was in an episode but it'd be cool to have Nightcrawler as an actual member of the team. I don't think Shadowcat ever ever showed up, maybe have her in her current Captain Kate incarnation with no explanation beyond former X-Man who left like they did with Iceman. Someone evacuating mutants from dangerous areas via boat would fit the 90s status quo IIRC.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

For people like me, who don't pay enough attention to the names of artists, He's currently doing X-Men.

https://twitter.com/PepeLarraz/status/1461971437347119104?s=20

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Aaron's Avengers is fun but not my favourite (the issues that focus on She-Hulk and Ghost Rider tend to be the best, and I liked the Squadron Supreme stuff), but his Thor run is spectacular and unimpeachable. The whole Jane Foster portion of it is some of the best straight-up superhero comics I've ever read. High bombast, a strong emotional core, secret identity drama done right, fantastically ridiculous villains, and some all-timer stories.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Android Blues posted:

Aaron's Avengers is fun but not my favourite (the issues that focus on She-Hulk and Ghost Rider tend to be the best, and I liked the Squadron Supreme stuff), but his Thor run is spectacular and unimpeachable. The whole Jane Foster portion of it is some of the best straight-up superhero comics I've ever read. High bombast, a strong emotional core, secret identity drama done right, fantastically ridiculous villains, and some all-timer stories.

His Thor is easily the best run since Simonson.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
https://twitter.com/ComicsXF/status/1463217698377289732?t=M2_BFkrgkDQVaulkykVFGg&s=19

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/CamCron/status/1462578484111298560?s=20

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I feel like even animated series Gambit doesn't "invest" in cryptocurrency so much as "finds new and exciting ways to con people out of it."

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Gambit proposes Kracoin as the islands currency, gets shut down by council because the nation is past private property. Frustrated, he loads up 2007 avatar creator and mints (with the help from Sage) a ridiculous number of Xmen portraits as NFTs. They are very successful! When the Bored Emma #4605 (golden teeth, dreads) sells for millions at Christie's, Marauders set sail to burn down the largest etherium farm in Madripoor.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Having fi ally taken the Orchis satellite for themselves, Gamit proposes repressing MotherMold into a sun-powered cryptominer.

Mutants immediately become the richest cryptokings on earth, drawing early attention from the Phalanx.

They burn out their black hole brains trying to mint nfts on a universal scale.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wanderer posted:

I feel like even animated series Gambit doesn't "invest" in cryptocurrency so much as "finds new and exciting ways to con people out of it."

Why did you post the same thing twice

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
So telepaths really don't have a sense of right and wrong, do they?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Gologle posted:

So telepaths really don't have a sense of right and wrong, do they?
So long as you don't gently caress up and cross Xavier, Jean Grey, the Shadow King, Quentin Quire, Emma Frost, or the Cuckoo's, who's gonna stop you?

More seriously, you'd need a concerted effort to find and train telepathy from a young-rear end age to teach them poo poo about telepathic consent, use of powers, ethics... it'd be a whole deal.

Writing that up made me thing Morrison predicted the alt-right Channers going radical with Quire's xtreme edgy poo poo.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think, in this case, they were referring to Jean herself. Specifically, her changing Polaris' speech to everyone at the gala. Which is definitely...not great, ethically-speaking :kiddo:

Framing it as Jean somehow knowing what's best for Lorna better than Lorna herself, with Lorna ending up admitting that Jean was right to do what she did, is also suuuuuper skeevy.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 25, 2021

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Didn't she also out Iceman? Pretty sure it was time displaced jean and Iceman but not entirely sure.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Didn't she also out Iceman? Pretty sure it was time displaced jean and Iceman but not entirely sure.

It was Teen Jean but they're essentially the same person, now.

The way the Lorna thing is phrased isn't that Jean revoked Lorna's choice or her ability to decide for herself, but noticed that she wanted to be on the team and second guessed herself. iirc the two have some pretty longstanding history so it read more to me like "my friend knows I need a push every now and again." It's also at an event where everyone was consensually telepathically linked so it's not really an apt comparison to Bobby since that's just invasive and irreversible. If Lorna actually wanted to leave the team and wasn't just struggling with self doubt, there's no reason she couldn't. If Bobby didn't feel comfortable confronting that about himself, it's just 'lol too bad.'

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't hate the current x-men, but lorna was already a better fit on a better team.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/KrakoaWelcomes/status/1465358595881582593?s=20

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ironically the word that the mutant is upset about is 'brotherhood', as they feel it's misogynist.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
"Brotherhood of Evil Gays" is too Sarah Lawrence for me, I would not have the time for that.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

And so, the Fellowship of Evil Mutants went on, for one does not simply walk into Mordor.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Catch me with the Sisterhood of Nice Mutants, making pine cone bird feeders with Pixie and Molly Hayes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

How Wonderful! posted:

Catch me with the Sisterhood of Nice Mutants, making pine cone bird feeders with Pixie and Molly Hayes.

But not Gabby as she is a soulless abomination in the eyes of Krakoa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

No. It was kind of a sweet arc-- she was very concerned and anxious about the no-clone protocols, wound up dead, but when the five caught wind of it they were like "oh god, no, of course we'll bring Gabby back," and successfully petitioned for that rule to be amended.

From New Mutants #21:

I believe this is part of the thread running from HoX/PoX to Inferno about the unfitness of Charles and Erik and by proxy Moira to rule-- we see that more and more of the ethical quandaries are being resolved by the Five or others acting autonomously, eg. when Gabby is resurrected Hope is using the Cerebro helmet on her own (which ties directly into Inferno).

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 30, 2021