Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Tarquinn posted:

Does anybody have a list or an opinion on what are the most aggressive, warmongering AI civs? My last couple of games have been a giant hugfest. I want to see the world burn.

Alexander and Gorgo are always quite aggressive and expansionist in my experience. Harald likes to fight whenever possible but won't hold a grudge. Monty gets out-teched so fast that he is a toothless tiger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Monty never strikes me as that aggressive, and Harald neither; those two are almost always decent neighbors. Genghis Khan, too. Other than Gorgo, and Alexander, I find that the most aggressive opportunists are Chandragupta, Shaka, and John Curtin.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Besides those already mentioned, I find Germany and Babylon are pretty aggressive as well.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

you can also just make the map more crowded. as proximity is one of the main drivers of early war.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Some of the civs mentioned are in fact more aggressive than the others, but in my experience ever since they rebalanced the AI's relationship algorithms it's just way too easy for everyone to hold hands and sing kumbaya. The best way to get civs to poke at you is to poke them first.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Is there a mod that makes it possible for national parks to be oriented sideways? It never fails to drive me crazy that they have to be a perfect diamond (just like in real life!!)

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

showbiz_liz posted:

Is there a mod that makes it possible for national parks to be oriented sideways? It never fails to drive me crazy that they have to be a perfect diamond (just like in real life!!)

Out of all the weird, baffling, ill-considered design decisions in Civ VI, national parks are perhaps the weirdest. One hex on a huge map is theoretically representing about 25,000-30,000 square miles, which is four times bigger than any national park in the USA, for example. But they gotta be four hexes, arranged in a particular way, with a bunch of weird rules affecting their appeal (in particular, it's weird that clearing marshes and rainforests makes them better, and building wonders and stuff next to them does too). Oh, also, you create one through religious faith for some reason. And for all that effort you get a tiny fence and a label naming it after the nearby city. It's like they tried to make them as unlike real national parks as they possibly could.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
Hungary is usually pretty aggressive. I've also had several games where Kristina goes nuts and rushes me with a half dozen warriors on turn 25

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Thanks all for the advice, finally got that American cultural victory! It was fun watching my tourism just go into overdrive the moment I hit Conservation, Radio, and Flight, as well as watching the 13k or so faith I banked quickly get depleted as I spammed national parks everywhere. People weren't kidding when they said it was going to cost a lot of faith, and it's weird because if anything I may have been better off not going on the offensive with religious conversion at all.

That said, Work Ethic was such a killer belief, and thanks to that one Great Scientist, I managed to build a Holy Site by a natural wonder that had 14 science, production, and faith in adjacencies bonuses around medieval era, which just absolutely supercharged my economy. It was so impressively powerful that now I think I'll try for a Religious victory with Arabia now, since maintaining a science lead is still imperative.

BTW, do you guys always maximize chops with Magnus? The transfer time makes microing him around kind of a pain, and I feel like I should just go for Pingala or whoever ASAP instead of spending a title on Magnus and waiting to get his chop bonus everytime.

EDIT: In addition, what's with the deforestation effect on CO2 levels? Since I was playing cultural Teddy, I mostly avoided chopping woods (got rid of rainforests and jungles tho) and even went on a reforestation campaign for kicks once I got Conservation. I even avoided making power plants entirely, with my only real CO2 output coming from railroads. Despite all that, my CO2 production was still getting a +50% handicap for deforestation. Is climate change this sensitive, or is the AI also just chopping like crazy?

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 12, 2021

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Thanks for the aggressive Civ advice!

They all still love each other very much. :v:

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN

toasterwarrior posted:

BTW, do you guys always maximize chops with Magnus? The transfer time makes microing him around kind of a pain, and I feel like I should just go for Pingala or whoever ASAP instead of spending a title on Magnus and waiting to get his chop bonus everytime.

I don't bother too closely with it except for the very early game, getting specific wonders, and the point in the middle game where you get a surplus of builder charges. (usually with feudalism and/or a monumentality golden age). you can move your builder fleet alongside Magnus and finish chopping each city in a few turns (chopping more builders if necessary) then move on to the next. the extra builder movement from monumentality is handy

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
There seems to be a legit bug with deforestation rates, if anything, so if that's still happening up to now then I might as well keep using Magnus and just not giving a poo poo about preserving forests unless I need the appeal lol

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Sorry to double post but I have a question: if you wipe out all rival civs on your continent before meeting others on another continent (basically lock down your continent during the Classical/Medieval eras), do you still gain grievances once you meet civs on the other continent? I'm wondering how to play an aggressive Rome game on high difficulty.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

toasterwarrior posted:

Sorry to double post but I have a question: if you wipe out all rival civs on your continent before meeting others on another continent (basically lock down your continent during the Classical/Medieval eras), do you still gain grievances once you meet civs on the other continent? I'm wondering how to play an aggressive Rome game on high difficulty.

nope as far as they know you are a friendly new face

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Got it, thank you very much!

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Has anyone played much in the way of the various overhaul mods that are out there now? I played about half of a game today on the Harmony in Diversity overhaul and it seems pretty good. I added most of the mods on their Steam mod list and it’s working out. City Lights I also really enjoy, though it changes much less about the game.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Anno posted:

Has anyone played much in the way of the various overhaul mods that are out there now? I played about half of a game today on the Harmony in Diversity overhaul and it seems pretty good. I added most of the mods on their Steam mod list and it’s working out. City Lights I also really enjoy, though it changes much less about the game.

It's not a complete overhaul mod, but I've been enjoying the Civilizations Expanded mod lately, that changes and buffs every civ/leader so that the civs are stronger and more asymmetric. Also Terra Mirabilis, a natural wonders overhaul.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Some of the changes in Civs Expanded are definitely batshit OP (lmao USA and Germany) but I like it a lot nonetheless, I like civilization bonuses being so strong you lean on them hard instead of them just complementing your playstyle.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I'm working my way through winning as all civs, my current game is quite funny, I'm in the modern age, running my Byzantine units around Mali, librating city states, only for Germany to conquer them within turns. Lesson: leave a peacekeeping force around the city after you free it!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Finally playing as Hammurabi and what a trip it is, makes the game feel like a set of mini quests without a proper tech progression anymore. It's Emperor so the AI jumped me a bit early but it was a case of loving around and finding out as I suddenly unlocked a man-at-arms just in time to wipe the attackers and go knock over some ancient cities.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

Chronojam posted:

Finally playing as Hammurabi and what a trip it is, makes the game feel like a set of mini quests without a proper tech progression anymore. It's Emperor so the AI jumped me a bit early but it was a case of loving around and finding out as I suddenly unlocked a man-at-arms just in time to wipe the attackers and go knock over some ancient cities.

Ohh, haven't thought of it like that. Sounds like fun.

Edit: Wait, does Hammurabi's power work the same on slower game speeds? :dogstare:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I'm guessing it does, I've been playing "online" speed of whatever lately, however

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem
Yup, started a marathon game. It's really fun breaking the game in different (intended) ways. :D

I think the (next) game needs more civs that change how the game is played. They should bring back Venice at the very least.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Why can’t I build a holy site where the mouse cursor is? It’s next to the Matterhorn, I want those yields lol

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Do you have Mining to cut down forests?

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Poil posted:

Do you have Mining to cut down forests?

Oh hell. Thanks

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

remember to get a builder to harvest the forest and deer before you place it. can't let those magnus chops go to waste!

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

DontMockMySmock posted:

It's not a complete overhaul mod, but I've been enjoying the Civilizations Expanded mod lately, that changes and buffs every civ/leader so that the civs are stronger and more asymmetric. Also Terra Mirabilis, a natural wonders overhaul.

This post was the first I heard of the Civilizations Expanded mod but I've really enjoyed the two games I played of it so far.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Is there a way to see a list of all your city's stats? Like what city produces the most science, hammers, gold, etc?

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Away all Goats posted:

Is there a way to see a list of all your city's stats? Like what city produces the most science, hammers, gold, etc?

under 'list of reports' in the top right corner probably.

i'd suggest getting the better report ui mod, since it add some better reports than the base game.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1312585482&searchtext=better+reports+screen

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

HappyCamperGL posted:

under 'list of reports' in the top right corner probably.

i'd suggest getting the better report ui mod, since it add some better reports than the base game.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1312585482&searchtext=better+reports+screen

Thanks! That mod looks like just what I'm looking for.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
So uh, this Anthology release, is it finally "Civ6, all of it, pinky promise" edition? I stopped buying after the vanilla release as I saw what was coming, is now a good time to catch up, so to speak? I'm not gonna buy this and suddenly a new xpack drops?

I bought Civ5 Complete for 17 bucks and by golly I'm a cheap fucker with warped standards!

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Serephina posted:

So uh, this Anthology release, is it finally "Civ6, all of it, pinky promise" edition? I stopped buying after the vanilla release as I saw what was coming, is now a good time to catch up, so to speak? I'm not gonna buy this and suddenly a new xpack drops?

I bought Civ5 Complete for 17 bucks and by golly I'm a cheap fucker with warped standards!

conversely, you should buy it so the rest of us get a new season faster :colbert:

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Serephina posted:

I second this question and am in the same boat! Have been waiting on a complete package or bundle to get the dlc because good god there's so much

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I finally got my first win, after about 250 hours. Turns out I had never bothered to actually finish a game before now. :toot:

Religious victory as Indonesia on a small pangea, which was really more of two continents attached by a narrow land bridge. Wasn't too much of a grind as I like building holy sites and had a lot more land than the main competitor who spent a lot of effort fighting and ultimately wiping out the third religion over on the other continent.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Serephina posted:

It's been quite a while since the last season release, and the base game is 5 years old, so I'm pretty sure that they're at the end of the development cycle. So yes, by all means, catch up!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Well I pulled the trigger, cheers! Trying to get back into it, lots of fun subsystems (but still not enough industry, everrr, argh. probably need to play until the new improved industrial districts?). Lots of old UI thorns that I had forgotten about still present, so am raiding the workshop page.

Recommended UI mods? I've found:
Quick Start
Quick Deals
Better Report Screen
Expended Policy Cards
--
But really I'd love to find something that turns the fog of war into something less stylized. Not the "here be dragons" distant fog, but the stuff that covers up already-seen terrain and turns it drawing-esque. Absolutely maddening, I just can't read it at all, especially jungles. There's a Civ5 aesthetic mod which I might have to resort to, might also help with seeing goddamn hills which keep catching me. But that's a little drastic.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Poil posted:

I finally got my first win, after about 250 hours. Turns out I had never bothered to actually finish a game before now. :toot:

Same, but I have about 2000 hours now or so, but I have never played a game with victory conditions turned on. Winning is for losers.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013

Serephina posted:

Well I pulled the trigger, cheers! Trying to get back into it, lots of fun subsystems (but still not enough industry, everrr, argh. probably need to play until the new improved industrial districts?). Lots of old UI thorns that I had forgotten about still present, so am raiding the workshop page.

Recommended UI mods? I've found:
Quick Start
Quick Deals
Better Report Screen
Expended Policy Cards
--
But really I'd love to find something that turns the fog of war into something less stylized. Not the "here be dragons" distant fog, but the stuff that covers up already-seen terrain and turns it drawing-esque. Absolutely maddening, I just can't read it at all, especially jungles. There's a Civ5 aesthetic mod which I might have to resort to, might also help with seeing goddamn hills which keep catching me. But that's a little drastic.

Better Starts as well so funky Civs can start next to their funky terrain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Sukritact's Simple UI Adjustments I find very good.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=939149009