Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

StrixNebulosa posted:

Wow I missed this, sorry for the delayed response! With the caveat that it's been some years since I read 40k in Gehenna, IIRC the phases go like this: it starts as a sci-fi about a colony dealing with being abandoned -> devolves slowly into generational cultural development as the youngsters develop new and wilder cultures (especially with the lizards) -> becomes full-blown fantasy with lizard-riding warfare with a society that has never known spaceflight. Like, if you cut out the first half of the book and focused entirely on that sequence it'd read as straight fantasy.

I am fascinated at how Cherryh links sci-fi/fantasy genre labels to tech levels. Not that she does this explicitly, but the feel of her books.

I've always wondered if 40k sparked off as a Pern origin fanfic, though that's probably mostly just because telepathic lizards...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

There's an old photo of Robert Howard workshopping out one of his Conan the Barbarian fight scenarios in a loincloth vs 2 dudes with "spears", that is floating around the internet somewhere (Think I saw it at the "playing at the world" authors blog/in the actual book.). You can take that photo as deeply hilarious or endearing. I view the photo as endearing, mostly because Robert Howard went "if I, a modernday person can do this in real life, then Conan given his background can do so much more".

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 21, 2021

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Runcible Cat posted:

I've always wondered if 40k sparked off as a Pern origin fanfic, though that's probably mostly just because telepathic lizards...

It definitely took some inspiration from Starship Troopers considering the various similarities such as the Tyranid and the bugs sharing more than a passing resemblance.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

It definitely took some inspiration from Starship Troopers considering the various similarities such as the Tyranid and the bugs sharing more than a passing resemblance.

40k in Gehenna or Warhammer 40k?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

quantumfoam posted:

There's an old photo of Robert Howard workshopping out one of his Conan the Barbarian fight scenarios in a loincloth vs 2 dudes with "spears", that is floating around the internet somewhere (Think I saw it at the "playing at the world" authors blog/in the actual book.). You can take that photo as deeply hilarious or endearing. I view the photo as endearing, mostly because Robert Howard went "if I, a modernday person can do this in real life, then Conan given his background can do so much more".

Amazing!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

pradmer posted:

Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FHBV4ZX/

This is a fun book. The main character is a bit of a science explained self insert, but his continuous remembering what's going on is interesting.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

cant cook creole bream posted:

This is a fun book. The main character is a bit of a science explained self insert, but his continuous remembering what's going on is interesting.

The Martian was dumb fun and the reviews for his second were so dire I didn’t read it. This one is good?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

buffalo all day posted:

The Martian was dumb fun and the reviews for his second were so dire I didn’t read it. This one is good?

I read it after feeling the same on his first two books and I liked it. It's going back to the same well a little, but more out there.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

buffalo all day posted:

I enjoyed it but I think it suffered some from trying to be the Martian redux.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

buffalo all day posted:

It's closer to the Martian than Artemis but far more out there in terms of trying to have some grounded science. I didn't enjoy it because there was too much made up stuff and things that couldn't actually happen while the story feels more like coincidence instead of a step by step process to the end. Basically the stuff that was happening was so outlandish it got in the way of the dumb fun.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

nessin posted:

It's closer to the Martian than Artemis but far more out there in terms of trying to have some grounded science. I didn't enjoy it because there was too much made up stuff and things that couldn't actually happen while the story feels more like coincidence instead of a step by step process to the end. Basically the stuff that was happening was so outlandish it got in the way of the dumb fun.

I agree with your characterization of the facts of the plot, but i enjoyed it rather than disliked it. I never read the Martian

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I almost bought that Conan omnibus, but the Amazon reviews mentioned that some of the stories are missing pages and even chapters.

I'm seeing two sorts of complaints about this edition.

The first is in regards to the quality of the physical book itself. At nearly a thousand pages, in general I'd expect tissue-thin paper and binding issues, so there's probably some merit to such complaints.

The other is about missing stories or scenes. What's happening here is that for like 70 years it was all but impossible to find the original, Howard-only versions of any Conan story. Everything in print was altered in some way by Lin Carter and/or L. Sprague de Camp. So the people making complaints that fall into this category almost certainly read the old Ace paperbacks and don't know they're remembering butchered versions of Howard's stories.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I think if you enjoyed The Martian, you will probably enjoy Project Hail Mary, and I would recommend it if you're in the mood for whatever you liked about The Martian. Barring what you liked being strict scientific accuracy on any scale

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol. I kind of thought that The Martian was stupid, but I really liked Artemis. Anyway I'm reading Hail Mary and I like it so far. It's like his other books, I guess. It reads like a science teacher is trying to get me to do my homework, but in a good way.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I wasn't a fan of it but that's because I went in expecting it to be HARD SCI FI kinda like the martian, and it ended up just being sci fi instead. I do agree the flashback memories thing was neat though.

I guess I was just pissed cause I was wondering how they were gonna save the day with just our current levels of tech, and instead it just went off the rails into standard sci fi.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
the flashback memories were like amateur-level poo poo. just flashbacking to convenient knowledge whenever the plot required it lmao

Cacto
Jan 29, 2009
I’ve been reading Ken Liu’s Dandelion series and really enjoying it. Its ‘classical Chinese style but woke’ approach is neat and there’s some great stories within the story. I’m early in book 2 and the zodiac creation myth is enjoyable and even a bit moving.

Take a look if you haven’t read it!

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Regarding Project Hail Mary, I really liked the (at least for me) unexpected places the story went, but the dialogue and humor was pretty cringy, and there was so much hand-wavey stuff when it came to the science, it drove me nuts. However I think I came down on the side of just barely liking it.

I have the same problems with the Bobiverse books. The nerd humor makes me want to die. But I really like the ideas so I keep reading them. Probably didn't help that the same audiobook narrator did Weir's stuff and also the Bobiverse books.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Myself being a horrible nerd with a taste for horrible nerd humor, should be good to go then.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
A Desolation Called Peace (Teixcalaan #2) by Arkady Martine - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QPJHNSM/
One I've definitely been waiting for.

Harrow the Ninth (Locked Tomb #2) by Tamsyn Muir - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WYSGHC7/

Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0054LJGWS/

Doomsday Book (Oxford Time Travel) by Connie Willis - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004G60FXG/

Books 1 and 2 of The Shadows of the Apt series by Adrian Tchaikovsky - $2.99 each
Empire in Black and Gold (#1) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003GK21XK/
Dragonfly Falling (#2) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003GK223Y/

Skyward by Brandon Sanderson - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BJLB5LY/

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Currently reading a collection of pulp tales that are so purple prosed and manly man it's hilarious and I'll go into more detail here when I finish the last one with some other just reads.

pradmer posted:

A Desolation Called Peace (Teixcalaan #2) by Arkady Martine - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QPJHNSM/
One I've definitely been waiting for.

Harrow the Ninth (Locked Tomb #2) by Tamsyn Muir - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WYSGHC7/

Gonna gamble on these having not read part 1 for either but they got good reviews (and I have Gideon the 9th from a free Tor offering but just not yet read it)

quote:

Books 1 and 2 of The Shadows of the Apt series by Adrian Tchaikovsky - $2.99 each
Empire in Black and Gold (#1) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003GK21XK/
Dragonfly Falling (#2) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003GK223Y/

I honestly forgot where I stopped reading with this series, maybe book 8? I'd have to read summaries to catch up to finish it

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Do these Amazon deals gently caress over authors or is it Amazon itself giving the promotion and the author/publisher slice is intact?

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
I've seen authors themselves promote them like "hey my book is on sale, go buy it" enough times that I don't think it's screwing them over? And I'm sure the publishers just want to see the sales numbers go up.

There's also the marketing aspect of it where you get a book or two for a discount and, hopefully, enjoy them enough to buy more at full price later on. That's exactly why Tor has their free ebook club.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Velius posted:

Do these Amazon deals gently caress over authors or is it Amazon itself giving the promotion and the author/publisher slice is intact?

If Amazon itself is setting the promotional deal then they take the hit. If the item owner is setting the deal, then the item owner takes the hit. If the item owner takes the hit then it's dependent upon the publisher/author contract as to who gets how much money (royalties per sale or royalties by revenue). I don't know what the standard is in the industry, however if you're published through Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) then royalties are based on list price at the time of the sale and Amazon takes the hit.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Plus it varies book to book. I've seen authors who are like "Hey guys, my book's on sale at Amazon" and others who are like "Weird, I had no idea it was on sale, go forth and get it while it's cheap!".

Everyone seems to be fairly happy about it though, regardless of if they knew or not. I can't recall an author ever being like "WHAT THE poo poo WHO'S IDEA WAS THIS JACKASSERY?"

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Plus it varies book to book. I've seen authors who are like "Hey guys, my book's on sale at Amazon" and others who are like "Weird, I had no idea it was on sale, go forth and get it while it's cheap!".

Everyone seems to be fairly happy about it though, regardless of if they knew or not. I can't recall an author ever being like "WHAT THE poo poo WHO'S IDEA WAS THIS JACKASSERY?"
There are the occasional cases where the book's on sale on Amazon by some scammer who uploaded a pirated version.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I thought that was rife? With Amazon's algorithm even promoting the pirate over the authorial version. Or is that mainly self pub problem?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Tars Tarkas posted:

Gonna gamble on these having not read part 1 for either but they got good reviews (and I have Gideon the 9th from a free Tor offering but just not yet read it)

They're both great but read the part 1s first

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Harrow the Ninth is going to make even less sense if you don't read the first one, lmao. Like that's genuinely one of the worst books I can think of to just jump in on.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I think Tars meant they were going to buy them without having read the first book, not read the series out of order.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Cyberiad: Stories by Stanislaw Lem - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CKDFE9W/

Fiasco by Stanislaw Lem - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008R2J70M/

Cradle, Foundation: Box Set by Will Wight - Free
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076G8DVN6/

The Traveler's Gate Trilogy by Will Wight - Free
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZK3KUE8/

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I'm definitely going to read them in order I just was apprehensive on buying the second entries before reading the firsts, but enough people in this thread and elsewhere like them I believe it is a good risk.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

drat, its $16 on Amazon.ca

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Ornamented Death posted:

I'm seeing two sorts of complaints about this edition.

The first is in regards to the quality of the physical book itself. At nearly a thousand pages, in general I'd expect tissue-thin paper and binding issues, so there's probably some merit to such complaints.

The other is about missing stories or scenes. What's happening here is that for like 70 years it was all but impossible to find the original, Howard-only versions of any Conan story. Everything in print was altered in some way by Lin Carter and/or L. Sprague de Camp. So the people making complaints that fall into this category almost certainly read the old Ace paperbacks and don't know they're remembering butchered versions of Howard's stories.

If this is still about the Gollancz black book edition then I have to say, the copy I have doesn't have any problems with quality. The paper is decent and the binding is holding up - though I don't really treat it roughly. It's a big heavy thing so I'm not exactly bending it in half to read it if you get what I mean. In terms of content, I've never read the stories any other way, so I don't know about that one.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

i briefly caught some of the apple Foundation series and became very confused because it appeared to have 0 whatsoever to do with the foundation novels I've read

are they drawing from the spinoff/prequel/expanded universe Foundation books written by the Various Gregs, which I never delved into?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

show me a meandering columbo-esque discourse by Salvor Hardin, you television cretins!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

PupsOfWar posted:

i briefly caught some of the apple Foundation series and became very confused because it appeared to have 0 whatsoever to do with the foundation novels I've read

are they drawing from the spinoff/prequel/expanded universe Foundation books written by the Various Gregs, which I never delved into?

They're drawing from the fertile* imagination of David S. Goyer

I was really mad Lee Pace didn't shave his pits for that role, I expect my emperors to conform to a rigid 21st century beauty standard :argh:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I went from struggling with book 1 of Commonweal to staying up late reading the second one. It turns out I am *way* more excited for magical building things than I am for magical artillery.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

graydon has even infiltrated the mod staff, his alts are everywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

eke out posted:

graydon has even infiltrated the mod staff, his alts are everywhere

guerilla marketing