Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Simiain posted:

I wanna say it was West Ham, but it was definitely Harry Redknapp that got duped into not only signing some random dude, but putting him on the pitch of a premier league game, because another random dude pretending to be George Weah called him up and told him he was really good.

Still, I dont think he paid much and the guy was on the field for twenty minutes or so, so its not like he ended up costing 250,000 a week for 6 years like Pogba

Others have pointed out it was Ali Dia at Southampton - you might have got it confused with the fact Redknapp was once at Southampton, and when at West Ham did in fact put a random bloke out of the crowd on the pitch in a friendly to shut him up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wwxfsZmQKc

However this bloke cost nothing and actually scored a goal so doesn't even get into the bottom 20 worst Redknapp signings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

There are bad signings that can't do too much damage, they're gone quite soon, often for a decent return on the initial investment.

Man U have let Pogba take the piss out of them for a decade, and they're still not done.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
The only things that anyone remembers about Torres and Chelsea:

1) his CL goal causing Gary Neville to orgasm on live TV
2) deadline day and him being sold there as part of the Carroll deal
3) most of all, missing absolute sitters than the Liverpool Torres would have buried in his sleep

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

That's way more goals than I would have guessed for Torres

He only looks like a flop compared to the two seasons before at Liverpool where he was probably the best striker in the world. I might be misremembering but I'm sure he picked up an injury towards the end of his last season at Liverpool, not even a very major one, but he just seemed like a completely different player afterwards.

Anyway you don't need to look at the biggest names for the worst signings - I give you the best worst signing of all time, Marco Boogers, another Redknapp special, signed for a million quid (for context that's about what we paid for Slaven Bilic in the same window) despite Redknapp having never seen him play (rumour has it Boogers' agent just sent him a highlight reel on VHS).

This video represents about the entirety of his West Ham career:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pVipgFjOk0

Then his knee exploded on his debut for the club we loaned him to to get him out of the club, but he never bothered coming back and just sat on the sofa for another 18 months until his contract expired, to the satisfaction of all concerned.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

goddamnedtwisto posted:

He only looks like a flop compared to the two seasons before at Liverpool where he was probably the best striker in the world. I might be misremembering but I'm sure he picked up an injury towards the end of his last season at Liverpool, not even a very major one, but he just seemed like a completely different player afterwards.

I vaguely remember that he had some sort of mild hamstring issue, pushed through it to play a world cup and was never the same since. But he did win a world cup.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It’s really this - it’s held up as a bad signing because it was the British transfer record at the time and because he was so incredibly good in 08/09.

Then the niggling injuries, getting rushed back too soon because of lack of other options/H&G clusterfuck ownership, plus logging a fair amount of time playing for Spain, and by the time he was sold, he was a sad imitation of his former self that was often unplayable his first 2 seasons at Liverpool.

I’m a plastic Liverpool fan so wtf do I know but I personally would put him in the same category as Mascherano who agitated for a move because he was being treated awfully during the H&G era but still have a lot of fondness for him.

e: his League goals vs starting appearances make the drop off all the more stark:
Liverpool 65 in 102 (only played 4 seasons) vs 20 in 110

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Rafa ground Torres into dust.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

lmao 4eva

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

I mean it's not impossible Redknapp just signed him for the name, because that would make as much sense as any other reason he bought a player.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

was that the year where he came on for Spain then almost immediately blew out his hamstring, but since they didn't have any more subs and were in extra time, they just played around him while he was laid face down on the pitch?

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Ali Dia and Marco Boogers are very good shouts but Winston Bogarde deserves to be mentioned in that lofty echelon.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Winston Bogarde is absolutely baller and I like to think that, spiritually at least, he is a goon.

Winston Bogarde posted:

I may be one of the worst buys in the history of the Premiership but I don't care.

The Perfect Element fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Nov 24, 2021

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

biglads posted:

Marco Boogers

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it *is* weird that solskjær never got a decent defensive midfielder instead of relying on mcfred so heavily

nabbing idk locatelli or someone would've been a huge upgrade even if he is maybe not quite on the level that manu would prefer. at least he can actually keep the ball moving forward

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Pogba is fine, he’s not worth what was paid but you don’t win multiple league titles, a World Cup and reach champions league finals all as a protagonist of the team you’re in if you’re poo poo. This may sound crazy but maybe it’s the total shithouses he’s been surrounded by for most of his United career and the insane unwarranted hype he got for the transfer that has certainly gone to his head. Put him on a team with a manager that will kick instead of kiss his rear end and he’ll perform again, I’m sure of it.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Also the worst transfer was Jozy.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Why isn't Kepa in the worst signing conversation?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Gigi Galli posted:

Pogba is fine, he’s not worth what was paid but you don’t win multiple league titles, a World Cup and reach champions league finals all as a protagonist of the team you’re in if you’re poo poo. This may sound crazy but maybe it’s the total shithouses he’s been surrounded by for most of his United career and the insane unwarranted hype he got for the transfer that has certainly gone to his head. Put him on a team with a manager that will kick instead of kiss his rear end and he’ll perform again, I’m sure of it.

That’s how I feel as well. While he did show off YouTube tekkers with Juve, he also did a lot of hard work in the center of the park. Basically I think he disappeared up his own rear end about the time they made that signing announcement video with Stormzy.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

brocked posted:

I don't know. He really should be up there but I guess he has disappeared as a starter and hasn't made any bad errors when he has shown up.

Also, he at least led to this:

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Gigi Galli posted:

yeah it's not that outrageous to suggest that Pirlo/Vidal or Matuidi/Kante were better midfield partners for Pogba than McFred, but his crazy transfer fee and increasing clout in the French NT are absolutely going to his head, at the same time.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

trem_two posted:

That’s how I feel as well. While he did show off YouTube tekkers with Juve, he also did a lot of hard work in the center of the park. Basically I think he disappeared up his own rear end about the time they made that signing announcement video with Stormzy.

Are you saying he got way too big for his boots?

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Gigi Galli posted:

:hmmyes:

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

yeah it's not that outrageous to suggest that Pirlo/Vidal or Matuidi/Kante were better midfield partners for Pogba than McFred, but his crazy transfer fee and increasing clout in the French NT are absolutely going to his head, at the same time.

Yeah what kind of world class soccer player has a big ego, sheesh

Look at the names you just typed bro

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Pogba will never "fulfil his potential", i.e he will always be a frustrating player that produces magic sometimes. I don't think it's just because he plays in a poo poo United team, he's just that kind of player. When he goes to PSG or Juve or whatever I expect similar performances overall. He is ultimately a fancy dan who isn't as good as he thinks and isn't that smart at actually playing football

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
im p sure ngolo kante and antoine griezemann could carry me to the world cup too

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Pogba was great at Juventus and looks fantastic with France, for some reason he just can’t stay consistent at the poo poo team under 3 terrible managers in a midfield full of clowns save for the one guy who overlaps with pogbas role a bit much

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Like many of the world's "best" players Pogba needs 20 games a season against pub teams to pad his stats and give him the time and space on the ball to do tricks and line up bangers.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Pogba was great at Juventus and looks fantastic with France, for some reason he just can’t stay consistent at the poo poo team under 3 terrible managers in a midfield full of clowns save for the one guy who overlaps with pogbas role a bit much

He was a loving rollercoaster at the euros as well

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Man U have let Pogba take the piss out of them for a decade, and they're still not done.

Raiola*

They have let Raiola take the piss out of them for over a decade

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

To be fair, they're a duo. There's a reason clients love Raiola: he does what they want/need. If Pogba didn't want Raiola to do his thing, he wouldn't.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

brocked posted:

For the same reason keepers never win the ballon d'or, we all forget about them. He was truly a terrible signing though

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Mad that a player named after the thing that he is could be so bad. Can't wait for Leeds to sign eastern European sensation Gary Sztryka

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Holden Midd-Fielder has definitely come off the bench for arsenal in the league cup at least once

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

the sex ghost posted:

Holden Midd-Fielder has definitely come off the bench for arsenal in the league cup at least once

they already have Rob Holding

technically I think he's a defender but I assume that's just because Arteta doesn't know poo poo about gently caress

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

the sex ghost posted:

Mad that a player named after the thing that he is could be so bad. Can't wait for Leeds to sign eastern European sensation Gary Sztryka

See also noted creative midfielder Tom Cleverley.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Pogba joins Jozy on the list of the funniest poo poo signings because he motivates posts like this.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Paperhouse posted:

Pogba will never "fulfil his potential", i.e he will always be a frustrating player that produces magic sometimes. I don't think it's just because he plays in a poo poo United team, he's just that kind of player. When he goes to PSG or Juve or whatever I expect similar performances overall. He is ultimately a fancy dan who isn't as good as he thinks and isn't that smart at actually playing football

A rich man's Adel Taraabt

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

the sex ghost posted:

Mark de Man will always be the best example of footballing nominative determinism, although Kepa is definitely up there.

Also Rodrigo Defendi.

Someone make a code tag XI of this poo poo.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

ciro immobile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

sebzilla posted:

Also Rodrigo Defendi.

I don't know about Rodrigo but I've surely seen many a player who ought to be named Cant Defendi