Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Bhodi posted:

It's just a really big searchable box that when it gets full you just add more drives. That's pretty much it. Run that ME conduit in the same block as your power and spread it across your base and you'll always have access to all the materials in the network. Attach them to ME devices to pull out or put items in.

Interfaces are just small chests that you request what and how many of an item in them (the top row), and digital items are de-digitized and placed in the inventory on the bottom row to match your request. Anything that goes in is digitized and conduits/machines can pull out anything in the bottom row (but not your wider stockpile). You stick them next to machines with the materials that machine needs (pull them in with a conveyor or arm machine cover)

Import/Export busses digitize or extract items directly and can be adjusted by cards to speed it up or turn it on/off by redstone signal. Import busses auto-pull from the inventory of whatever it's attached to, export busses auto-push the single item type that you put in the box.

ME Level Emitters make redstone signals based on how many items you've got digitized so you can use them to turn on/off machines with a machine controller cover or input/export busses.

Autocrafting is a little more complex and tbh isn't explained nearly at all in this pack so you probably want to watch a video on it, but basically you select a recipe in JEI and shift-click the +, make the pattern, and then you can request it "build" the item. So you make a pattern for Log -> Plank, and a pattern for plank -> stick, and a pattern for stick -> coal, and the thing will make torches on request (you can stick a torch in your export bus with a crafting card and it will automatically craft and export it even if all you have is logs and coal in your ME system)

If people want to be entirely spoiled on omnifactory, I recommend this series by someone who basically speed ran it: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPDYxInF_WEXLpKvDl6v64hobqOqLRqKh, if you're running into issues or aren't sure how to approach a particular challenge.

There's also some tips i learned in there, like getting creative flight with the glitch armor very, very early in the pack.

Actually, one thing I sometimes struggle with AE is that I usually use it for storing all the annoying small stacks of random stuff, so the type limit fills up way faster than the actual capacity limit. Higher tier drives have more capacity but same number of types, what am I supposed to do here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
This is why Refined Storage is the superior storage mod. No weird limitations by type. :colbert: Even has proper fluid handling.
In practice I think what you'd do is rely on storage drawers more, or just keep various small item types in regular chests. AE is pretty poorly equipped for all the fine sub-parts in my experience.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Xun posted:

Actually, one thing I sometimes struggle with AE is that I usually use it for storing all the annoying small stacks of random stuff, so the type limit fills up way faster than the actual capacity limit. Higher tier drives have more capacity but same number of types, what am I supposed to do here?
Normally, you just fill each one with 4k drives which is a nice balance. You can just slap on another drive block instead of trying to upgrade to a larger individual disk size. Unfortunately, the chassis block is fairly expensive in the pack and so is the i/o port, at least until late HV, but you should be able to stretch it.

If you have 1-2 materials that take up a lot of space, it's probably better to stick them in a drawer and use a storage bus attached to the drawer controller rather than fill up your digital system.

One of the really common patterns you'll see in omnifactory is a line of machines with interfaces on top and storage drawers on the bottom or the front. Materials are presented to the machine, the machine pulls them in from the top with a cover, makes the item, and then wrenched to output directly into the drawer. Because the drawers are next to each other, they all chain together and somewhere in the middle you've got the drawer controller and a storage bus pointing at it which gives your ME system access to all the materials in the drawers, and the drawers themselves (often with the storage downgrade) ensure that you only have at max 2 stacks of whatever item you need - This is generally called passive crafting, because they're auto-produced up to the drawer limit as you use them. You can do the same with mechanical crafters, and use drawer trims to bridge any gaps you have (like one machine feeding into another feeding into a drawer).

This method is a late-game necessity for things like advanced laser arrays, laser-printed chips (SoCs, Ram), SMDs, the different types of circuit boards, stuff like that. Sometimes people will put the drawers against the front of the machine so that liquid can come in from the bottom (same method, with a fluid interface, or conduits with filters on them) but only power can transmit through the front face so you need to place them sideways or backwards.

If you find you have one or two types of materials that are filling up a bunch of your drives, make one or two 16k drives, put the (empty) larger drives in, take the half of your 4k drives that have smaller amounts of types of items in them, stick them in your i/o port to empty them out, then do the other half. This redistributes items and makes your space more efficient like a lazy defrag.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 24, 2021

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

I'm lazy and just have multiple giant storage drawers networks that all tie in to AE2, and void upgrade the items that get passively crafted through full automation. This time around I'm trying to do better about keeping intermediate items more localized so I'm not do as many store/retrieves, but still dumpin to drawers. Some items you will need an insane amount of, like diamonds. Even a max upgraded drawer will not be enough for tryin to do some stuff without lots of downtime, even with 18 DMLs pumpin out diamonds. Also a word of future, once you hit creative tanks, it's basically a different game. A ton of your poo poo is gonna change drastically, cause you no longer need to go through intermediate steps or certain generation methods. So get ready to completely redo almost everything :v:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Kyrosiris posted:

Is there a good way to move the polymer and diamonds around (to feed numismatic dynamos) without a shitload of ender item conduits?

In the same vein, if I have a thread of item conduits that link all the sim chambers, loot fabricators, and a drawer, can I use item filters on the import side to make the fabs only take pristines and shuttle all the regular matter off to a voided drawer?

I pretty much used ender item conduits for my DML side. Some things to think about with them that might make your life easier:
1. Color coding inputs and outputs. So you can have a trunk of conduit but ensure only certain endpoints matter to other certain endpoints.
2. Playing with priority. You can shunt off excess using a lower priority connection, or ensure something (like your dynamos for diamonds) get first priority by increasing their priority.

Something I have learned about this pack is that you want a lot of proactive crafting. Most materials from DML will come in handy later and you want to fill drawers up with them. You can then put storage buses on them. As stuff needs them, these drawers will get tapped of their stuff and replenished from your loot fabricators.

I went through certain stages of grief so far and I hope this will save you time:
1. GT:NH mode where I manually was doing a lot of stuff with a "machine shop."
2. On-demand autocrafting with an automated lab.
3. Proactive crafting of every god drat thing.

As ten minutes ago, I am finally proactively crafting refined circuits (final tier one circuits). The goal is to automatically be making tier one microminers and dispatching them for salt and certus as needed. I particularly need salt for chlorine.

When I had #2 finished but none of #3, I would more easily exceed the storage crafting capacity of my crafting CPUs since I had to draw everything from scratch. I'd also usually just log off and give the jobs as "homework" to my systems. With a proactive setup, most initial products are just available and don't have to be made, so the byte size of my crafting jobs went down. I can make more stuff faster. I think it'll still be essential to have some autocrafting for a lot of the machines I'd use, but I know I'm going to wind up having to proactive make stuff like motors, pistons, and pumps since the microminers require them.

I will show pictures at some point. Without that, consider the splash screen and those big, long lines of machines that go all different ways that are shown in some images. I think this big lines are crazy but having rows of machines just ready to snap into action to create more items is the way to go.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

If/when I get back into omnifactory, is there some way to get into dml while staying in peaceful? Usually the whole thing is "gotta murder a fuckton of mobs to get to self-aware tier" and if I have to turn off peaceful, so be it, but uuugh.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Omnifactory is 100% playable on peaceful! The mob cards automatically level themselves up over time as you feed them polymers for the 'fights' and all you're missing from being on peaceful is glitch armour.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Echophonic posted:

So here's our Create:AB base! I'm pretty happy with it.
Next up is skystone and charged certus and we can finally start integrating for brass-tier mechanisms.

Heya I am a player on this server and updated GDLauncher today and I noticed this delightful line on the patch notes:

This is like, ads or a donation link or something, right? Or is there some hidden bitcoin miner installed on my machine now

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Xun posted:

A drive with 10 1k (or maybe 4k if you like) storage cells will store literally everything you could ever put in storage pre-void mining/quarrying.

At that point you can probably afford to have a few bigger storage cells.

ElegantFugue posted:

Heya I am a player on this server and updated GDLauncher today and I noticed this delightful line on the patch notes:

This is like, ads or a donation link or something, right? Or is there some hidden bitcoin miner installed on my machine now

Just more prominent ads. Weirdly placed but easy to just gloss over after the first time you see it.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Is there a quick create video/blog/guide on create people recommend, I don't really want to watch someone play the entire pack but I need that bridge on machines how-to and maybe tips for playing the pack and what order to focus on things.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Seems like just an ad while loading stuff yeah, that's fine. Just didn't want anything running in the background doing crypto or such.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
An ad inside of a program running on your computer can very quickly turn into an involuntary crypto miner or anything else that someone else wants it to be.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

SugarAddict posted:

An ad inside of a program running on your computer can very quickly turn into an involuntary crypto miner or anything else that someone else wants it to be.

If it's just html on electron, this isn't really true.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Ok, so I have up through chapter 2A cleared. However, I'm having an issue with getting a reasonable amount of charged quartz. I thought it was Pretty Pipes, but I think it's it's just AE2 Chargers loving suck. They are really inconsistent about how they draw and hold power. Any tips for charging quartz faster or more efficiently?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Hmm. So, I'm trying to decide something. The space station is still powered by the time the pack takes place, and one of the early goals will be finding some power conduits to reconnect a damaged biodome so you can get life support working and live in it.

So the thought is: would it be weird to just let the player easily connect to that power themselves to run their machines off of, when they get to that point? It won't be a lot of power rf/t-wise, but it will be essentially passive.

(I have also considered having station power actually being generated by AR's microwave collector things and oxygen actually created in a plant in the station before being piped to where it needs to go but that feels like it might be going a bit too hard on verisimilitude.)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

like, if you match up the power draw of the biodome and the power supply then players will have to choose what they run. not seeing a problem unless you want conduits themselves to be limited

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Ok, so what the gently caress is up with alchemy in Create: Above and Beyond? The documentation for Thermal Foundations in 1.16 is nonexistent and it seems like you do a lot of this with those machines. I kinda wanted to mess with the alchemy thing it lets you do, but what the gently caress is an alchemical laser?

Edit: Of course, asking about it lets me immediately find it in JEI. Still pretty bonkers, though.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Nov 27, 2021

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

like, if you match up the power draw of the biodome and the power supply then players will have to choose what they run. not seeing a problem unless you want conduits themselves to be limited

Well the problem is that if I actually couple the biodome power with what the player can use, them overloading it is going to kill all their crops and animals heh.

I was just thinking like, "Here are some exposed power connection points the player can connect their powerlines to, but there's only like 256 rf/t available from them."

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
An addendum on Omnifactory chat: Here's a floor that does most of the pro-active autocrafting of solid ingredients towards a tier 1 microminer. That is what I then need to send through a microverse projector to grab some ore I need to completely close the feedback loop and move up to further tiers of proactive autocrafting:

The DML stuff and fluid crafting are on different floors along with power generation and on-demand crafting. Ingredients are just exported into machines, collected into drawers, and exposed through storage buses; nothing triggers a crafting job. Ingredients for later stages are just automatically refilled as they are depleted. I get the impression this is what is expected of the pack.

My base overall consumes about 64,000 RF/tick, but that's included some higher-tier stuff and most of the machines involved are MV-tier. On the other hand, demand will further increase when I close the loop and have ore processing automatically just accept everything from the microverse projectors. I had to distribute numismatic dynamos across floors because the conduits cannot transmit all the power from a common location.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
how do you get water into a basin in above and beyond without using fluid pipes? i just wanted to make a few rubber out of daisies for some belts.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Nice! I got together a janky-rear end create setup in Cuboid Outpost for automatic obsidian and soul sand. It wouldn't be so janky if I had planned it out properly to begin with, but I'm going to move all of it eventually anyway. Also set up the three heavy auto sieves and one compressed auto hammer I'll need for things like infinite ender pearls, using a heavily filtered xnet network to control the flow of items. I'm gonna need to do some harsh power upgrading as soon as I have my lapis singularity, as the only way those auto-sieves, auto-hammer, and auto-compressor have enough rf to run is 4 numismatic dynamos with one of the "more rf per thing" augment each, and two of them with resonant augments. Ultimate energy cables from Mekanism and an Ultimate energy cube are also in the system, with the xnet network pulling from the cube. It's just taking forever to get the three stacks of lapis I need to make my singularity and the more I swipe from the slowly growing pile, the longer it'll be before I have said singularity. May end up breaking out power into its own building separate from my warehouse. Will definitely get around to storage-bus-connecting those drawers back into my ae network so I can more easily access that stuff, just a bunch of digging and cable laying, and I kind of also need to make sure of where I'm going to need to place drawer controller slaves and trim to connect up drawers that are otherwise disconnected. My base is a mess and I'm slowly making it less of one as I get into being able to proactively craft stuff, set up my ae autocrafting area, that sort of thing.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Gone Fashing posted:

how do you get water into a basin in above and beyond without using fluid pipes? i just wanted to make a few rubber out of daisies for some belts.

You can just use a bucket. Just make sure you’re not clicking on the filter section or else it might just set the filter to a water bucket (and not put your water in the basin).

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Black Pants posted:

Well the problem is that if I actually couple the biodome power with what the player can use, them overloading it is going to kill all their crops and animals heh.

I was just thinking like, "Here are some exposed power connection points the player can connect their powerlines to, but there's only like 256 rf/t available from them."

how about have the actual power supply to the biodome reliant on some inaccessible redstone-activated piston to jam a block into place, so that the player has to put a small amount of power into a one-off receptor to trigger a pulse to effect the repair?

you then don't need to worry about what they do subsequently, and you can slot in the "build a small engine" or whatever quest ahead of this

otherwise yeah, providing like a trickle of spare power is not a big deal. or you could add in a repeatable "fix stuff" quest that allows more seeds and spawn eggs to rebuild the biodome if the player fucks up, and also gives warning to not gently caress up

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

Gone Fashing posted:

It doesn’t work with the edelwood bucket if that’s what you were trying, has to be a vanilla bucket.

Probably has to do with how a Minecraft item has a container instead of a container having an item/fluid.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Spectral Werewolf posted:

It doesn’t work with the edelwood bucket if that’s what you were trying, has to be a vanilla bucket.

Probably has to do with how a Minecraft item has a container instead of a container having an item/fluid.

Edelwood buckets are so wonky to begin with. Need lava? Find a non water fluid, congratulations you now have lava, even if it was slime or oil before.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Minecraft/Microsoft forcing an account migration/merging

https://www.minecraft.net/move

Looks like MultiMC seems to be on top of things

https://multimc.org/posts/0-6-13-update.html

Lets hope they dont cut off access to outside applications in the future though, which is always possible.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Spectral Werewolf posted:

of course. that's what I was trying to use. thanks!

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
You can also use Bucketing Tinker's tools. Having a shovel-axe-bucket with a 4k tank is sick as hell.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

An addendum on Omnifactory chat: Here's a floor that does most of the pro-active autocrafting of solid ingredients towards a tier 1 microminer. That is what I then need to send through a microverse projector to grab some ore I need to completely close the feedback loop and move up to further tiers of proactive autocrafting:

The DML stuff and fluid crafting are on different floors along with power generation and on-demand crafting. Ingredients are just exported into machines, collected into drawers, and exposed through storage buses; nothing triggers a crafting job. Ingredients for later stages are just automatically refilled as they are depleted. I get the impression this is what is expected of the pack.

My base overall consumes about 64,000 RF/tick, but that's included some higher-tier stuff and most of the machines involved are MV-tier. On the other hand, demand will further increase when I close the loop and have ore processing automatically just accept everything from the microverse projectors. I had to distribute numismatic dynamos across floors because the conduits cannot transmit all the power from a common location.
On the one hand, this is amazing, on the other, you realize that this is absolutely, completely overkill? An export bus set to craft-only with a crafting card and 3 accel cards pointed at a drawer (or just 2 or 3 slots of an interface with a storage bus set to export) works just as well...

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Bhodi posted:

On the one hand, this is amazing, on the other, you realize that this is absolutely, completely overkill? An export bus set to craft-only with a crafting card and 3 accel cards pointed at a drawer (or just 2 or 3 slots of an interface with a storage bus set to export) works just as well...

There is no overkill. You either don't have enough material coming in, or you don't have a big enough factory to consume everything provided.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

Dirk the Average posted:

There is no overkill. You either don't have enough material coming in, or you don't have a big enough factory to consume everything provided.

And it's always a constantly shifting line as to which is which.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeah, between this and the youtube playlist that was posted (I haven't gone any further than I myself have gotten, so beginning of HV), I'm starting to realize that I've been playing Omnifactory all wrong, lmao.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Well you figured it out pretty early, so that's good. I didn't figure it out until I was deep in IV and spent a lot of time afking. By gettin more automation started early (MV), I've been able to far exceed the pace of my last play through.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah, I'm thinking about packing up all my machines and just heading to the skyvoid and building a big ol' platform to tinker on. I figure I can leave my drawer full of polyclay and diamonds behind and just continue using ender chests until I rebuild that architecture voidside.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Use tape on the drawer and you can then pick it up and move it with everything stored inside.

Personal advice for OF is to make at least 4 of every machine it tells you to, and automate any resources in the quest chains. Tie everything together no matter how messy or inefficient.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i wish starting in lost cities didn't remove my ability to go to the regular overworld, especially since as far as i can tell having a regular overworld still lets you go to the lost cities. i haven't really cracked it open in a week because i'm hemming and hawing over whether to restart before i get too much further in

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Rynoto posted:

Personal advice for OF is to make at least 4 of every machine it tells you to, and automate any resources in the quest chains. Tie everything together no matter how messy or inefficient.

That's what I was really missing, I think. I kept trying to have this almost industrial cottage feel going, and just kept getting stonewalled on "oh I need this, but I also need this, but the compressor is making this other thing" repeatedly.

I think taking it to skyvoid will free me from the "well I need to make it look like A Place" mindset and I can get full feral automation engineer on it.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Bhodi posted:

I have 8 CPUs with 8k storage and a co-processor for each. I had not reached a point where there was no one thing I could not make, but tier 1 micro miners were hitting 2k storage each and I need a bunch to do chlorine for everything else--assuming just the scale I was at beforehand. The crafting jobs were also slower than a normal play session, so I could not get cause and effect quickly, or they would dominate what I could make so I might as well log off anyways.

When I started just rolling out the base ingredients, the storage requirements and crafting times naturally went down. It took about the point of proactively assembling refined circuits to get that turnaround on the micro miners. I anticipated that as I went up the tiers that I would be playing catch-up like this so I just kept going.

Midway through, I could get most of the gear for the rest within one minute so it became pretty easy. There is still a bunch of machines with interfaces for a lot of the machines I use but they can make what remains fairly quickly.

The huge lines of machines getting flashed by the title screen was a major hint that I needed to go nutso.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, I'm thinking about packing up all my machines and just heading to the skyvoid and building a big ol' platform to tinker on. I figure I can leave my drawer full of polyclay and diamonds behind and just continue using ender chests until I rebuild that architecture voidside.

I didn't show my DML stuff but that was getting pretty big too. I was particularly eating through copper. It goes into bronze and annealed copper, and then there all the wiring, cables, plates, gears, and rods among other things. So some of the resources 6+ simulators. When stock started to fill up, this subsided, but it really sucked to be out of the base ingots for stuff that had to be crafted that wasn't being stocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoNotTheMindProbe
Aug 9, 2010
pony porn was here
Is there a mod that's mostly about mining stuff and exploring? I like mining for different mineral types and progessing through materials etc but don't want to make a factory or fiddly magic stuff.