Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

dig tunnels and fill them with trains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

when the tunnel gets too congested, they will continue to build new driving levels below it. rich tesla owners on top, all others have to dodge magma

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

dig tunnels and fill them with trains

dig tunnel
fill with cars
close tunnel

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
Are the Tesla Tunnels active yet? I’m morbidly excited for the ensuing carnage

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Why has no one run musk over yet

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

El Pollo Blanco posted:

he's too busy saving the environment by flying around on a private jet to be around others

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

El Pollo Blanco posted:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://twitter.com/capittalism/status/1460639400623226887?s=20

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Suplex Liberace posted:

dig tunnel
fill with cars
close tunnel

carbon capture

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

actionjackson posted:

car insurance where you pay by the mile

that is gently caress absurdly expensive. I pay ~$200 per 6 months for two cars. also lol at letting your insurance company have access to your driving statistics. loving dystopian.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

that is gently caress absurdly expensive. I pay ~$200 per 6 months for two cars. also lol at letting your insurance company have access to your driving statistics. loving dystopian.

i used to use metromile on my 2001 accord beater because it mostly just sat parked since i walked/biked most places and took train to work. worked out to be $30/month which was still far cheaper than all the others.

and yes it was dystopian having an obd2 mileage tracker but it was worth the cost savings to suck it up.

side note, having a beater car with a mismatched bumper and dings fuckin' owned. all the rich yuppies would cower in fear and always wave me through stop signs even if they had the row. no one was dumb enough to tailgate or try to cut me off because it'd be a losing proposition for them and they knew it.

anyways death to cars

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

you do realize that auto insurance policies can have different levels of coverage, and that I might not have the same as you, right?

also what company are you using? what are the vehicles? how old are you? do you have other policies with the same company?

i'm fine that they know about my 85 miles/month given how much it saves me relative to my previous plan

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Just remembered I had this photo of when I rode my velomobile to the local shops. That's a normal sized space on the side of the road, which highlights how much space cars take up when parking.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT2I7siJ9Gw

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

edit: wrong thread

Filthy Hans has issued a correction as of 07:37 on Nov 24, 2021

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Blackhawk posted:

Just remembered I had this photo of when I rode my velomobile to the local shops. That's a normal sized space on the side of the road, which highlights how much space cars take up when parking.

:3:

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

https://twitter.com/jacob_kaye_/status/1463265051524145158?s=21

It's legal to kill someone with your car in America.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

actionjackson posted:

you do realize that auto insurance policies can have different levels of coverage, and that I might not have the same as you, right?

also what company are you using? what are the vehicles? how old are you? do you have other policies with the same company?

i'm fine that they know about my 85 miles/month given how much it saves me relative to my previous plan

“it’s not that bad they’re hoovering up the blood from an IV in my right arm. Hell, they used to do my left arm too, and I’m a leftie!”

it’s really sad either way and poor people tend to have longer commutes & often have more than one job they need to go to, potentially spaced very far apart.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/doinkpatrol/status/1463166121075482643

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

hahahahaha i've seen a lot of videos on this stupid thing but I still cracked up again when the elevator goes down to reveal the big new tech is... more roads but now underground and shittier. how is no one driving in the tube the car goes down? seems like cars would all have to brake constantly as you wait for 20 different elevators to each slowly deliver a single car carrying a single occupant.

it's difficult to concisely describe exactly how bad this idea is because it's bad in so many ways that you'd have to write an essay to cover them all. it can't even work in some ideal world that doesn't exist. the basic premise is flawed right from the start, and then the actual implementation would be a disaster

i mean what the gently caress lol. im sick of roads and cars so lets create a complicated network of thousands of elevators and tubes so i can continue to get stuck in traffic, its just underground now. love queuing up at elevators and dying in inescapable fires. they need to make a promo video where it shows all the people that would be using a busy highway, instead entering elon's tubes. each waiting 2 minutes for their 1 at a time trip down an elevator. 100 cars show up every minute so there will be 200 elevators and also 200 tubes and also nothing goes wrong during any of this.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Imagine the logistics and cost of that poo poo compared to a straightforward rail network. We can barely build simple infrastructure here, much less a fantasy underground highway network.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I thought the initial pitch was "trains..but for cars" and the second big idea about it was that the trains would carry some cargo as well

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
i assumed that tunnel animation was a fan-made video, but it's actually on the boring company's official channels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5V_VzRrSBI

it's unbelievable that a publicly-traded company can post stuff like this. how anyone can see elon as anything but a straight-up scammer is beyond me

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It's just a subway but 100x stupider and 10000x more expensive lol

We've become a nation of finance and ideas guys but nobody has any ideas that arent just doing what we did 100 years ago but worse. If you've got an idea or possible new process for something boring like an advance in materials science what do you even do? Book a flight to Shenzen and hope some US multinational profiting off the old material doesnt kill you on the way?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Americans would poo poo their pants if they encountered something like this: https://youtu.be/DwVlW_Rwb-I

Of course it's unfair to compare the US to such a wealthy and advanced nation like, uh... Thailand.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Driving sucks. How do we make trains that exclude poor people, for the benefit of the rich?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Americans would poo poo their pants if they encountered something like this: https://youtu.be/DwVlW_Rwb-I

Of course it's unfair to compare the US to such a wealthy and advanced nation like, uh... Thailand.

america lacks the innovative spirit, lack of corruption, skilled management and hardworking workers required to deliver public transportation infrastructure at a reasonable cost

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
100 cars per minute would require four whole city blocks with their curbsides devoted entirely to these stupid Tesla elevators going up and down constantly, just to serve the equivalent of three lanes of traffic, or half of one subway line.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The point is not to be efficient it is to provide a separate private infrastructure system for rich people. This is the whole business model that's it.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Norton posted:

hahahahaha i've seen a lot of videos on this stupid thing but I still cracked up again when the elevator goes down to reveal the big new tech is... more roads but now underground and shittier. how is no one driving in the tube the car goes down? seems like cars would all have to brake constantly as you wait for 20 different elevators to each slowly deliver a single car carrying a single occupant.

it's difficult to concisely describe exactly how bad this idea is because it's bad in so many ways that you'd have to write an essay to cover them all. it can't even work in some ideal world that doesn't exist. the basic premise is flawed right from the start, and then the actual implementation would be a disaster

i mean what the gently caress lol. im sick of roads and cars so lets create a complicated network of thousands of elevators and tubes so i can continue to get stuck in traffic, its just underground now. love queuing up at elevators and dying in inescapable fires. they need to make a promo video where it shows all the people that would be using a busy highway, instead entering elon's tubes. each waiting 2 minutes for their 1 at a time trip down an elevator. 100 cars show up every minute so there will be 200 elevators and also 200 tubes and also nothing goes wrong during any of this.

The car tunnel thing is staggeringly, mind blowingly stupid if you take it at face value. I honestly don't know how people who believe in the stated concept function in society but then I realise that society doesn't really function and it all makes a lot more sense.

Was there ever a definitive theory as to why the boring company actually exists again? Clearly it's not to replace millions of above-ground roads with millions of sewer tunnels, as far as I know the options are:

- Pure scam to bilk local governments out of money promising outlandish solutions, delivering garbage and pocketing the cash (e.g. las vegas). Also in support of keeping the Tesla bubble inflated by making personal vehicles seem feasible into the future when the road system is clearly in crisis.
- The actual plan is to make personal car tunnels for the mega-wealthy so that they can avoid ever having to deal with the collapsing road system and surface traffic consisting of poor people
- Drug smuggling tunnels under the US/Mexico border

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Pryor on Fire posted:

The point is not to be efficient it is to provide a separate private infrastructure system for rich people. This is the whole business model that's it.

They will sell passes to non rich people tho.

It's only 1500 a month

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Pryor on Fire posted:

1. Buy up most/all the McDonald's franchises in your city
2. Lobby to get this law passed for CO2 emissions, uh yeah that's it, hahaha, and uh, pedestrian safety, hahaha lmao
3. Enjoy your new monopoly ON DRIVE THRUS IN THE MIDWEST LMAO or just immediately sell all franchises for 2x what they were worth before the law passed

mcdonalds corporate owns the land most franchises sit on (real estate is their primary revenue source, not burgers) so this might actually happen inshallah

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It's all hype to grab investment money.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
it's basically an NFT

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

it's basically an NFT

The nft scam is such a pure and abstract scam. A Platonic Scam.

On paperwork, owned by people who have "authority," is a text that is said to be owned by a person.
The picture itself is just a certificate.

All other scams, and forms of government just have extra things like, other uses, or a monopoly on violence.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

https://twitter.com/shannonrwatts/status/1463525634919964672

armed driver intentionally hits someone else, later gets into a shootout with them and dies. speaking of platonic scams, here's the platonic ideal of an american story

i was going to say it's amazing that a pregnant woman - even one with terminal car brain - would instigate a pointless death battle like this, but looking at it from her perspective she was always the one wielding lethal force- in her car, where she could kill a motorcyclist with impunity, and then later with a gun, where she could stand her ground and murder someone. it just turns out the motorcyclist was a better shot

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

Polo-Rican posted:

i assumed that tunnel animation was a fan-made video, but it's actually on the boring company's official channels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5V_VzRrSBI

it's unbelievable that a publicly-traded company can post stuff like this. how anyone can see elon as anything but a straight-up scammer is beyond me

It's indistinguishable from Dahir Insaat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZJ0KGAIM_w

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
can't believe i'm taking the side of the guy who killed the pregnant woman, but, stop loving driving

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

https://twitter.com/shannonrwatts/status/1463525634919964672

armed driver intentionally hits someone else, later gets into a shootout with them and dies. speaking of platonic scams, here's the platonic ideal of an american story

i was going to say it's amazing that a pregnant woman - even one with terminal car brain - would instigate a pointless death battle like this, but looking at it from her perspective she was always the one wielding lethal force- in her car, where she could kill a motorcyclist with impunity, and then later with a gun, where she could stand her ground and murder someone. it just turns out the motorcyclist was a better shot

drat this story is so quintessentially american it's crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

it's cool how they both had guns and we're happy to kill each other