Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Why do I read emails when I'm not at work. User reports the ERP system is being slow

I suggest bringing in our ERP expert since he hasn't complained about anything else being slow and help desk already checked out the basics.

IT manager chimes in with "xxx is going to put him on WiFi to rule out a bad port"

:rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
The HTTP question was about broad categories. Codes in the 500s are "the server has a problem" and codes in the 400s are "you have a problem." (This can seem a little blurry -- a 404 might seem like the server has a problem, because the server can't find the document, but it's "your" problem because you requested something that doesn't exist in that location. Something like a 403 is a little more clearly your issue).

HTTP requests you might not think you care about if you're not a web dev, but if you're, say, making REST API calls, you're going to want to be familiar with operations like GET, PUT, and POST. You'll care about the HTTP response codes when using those APIs too, since you'll get them back after each operation.

guppy fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 23, 2021

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I answered the HTTP request methods and knew a few errors but his answer was, "400 is client and 500 is server" which I don't remember any of that from the Net+ exam. Either way, I was welllll underqualified for the position so :shrug:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
It's for sure a lousy feeling to bomb in an exchange like that, especially since it wasn't really a formal interview. They sound pretty in-scope for a role like that, though. Sucks, but chalk it up as a learning experience, and now you know for next time.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

On the bright side, people bomb those every day so it's not a big deal. Easy to learn those too.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

We use Avigilon, I've never been responsible for security cameras before, but the thing that stands out most to me is the expense. You have to license per camera, if you want an actual, genuine redundant backup system, you have to buy two licenses per camera, and the licenses aren't cheap. Once they have fully deprecated a version of their software, you can no longer buy licenses for that version, but when you upgrade, you will have to buy new licenses for every camera you have (they do discount the note recent licenses, and if it's been purchased within the last six months or so, the new license is free). They also require essentially a flat network for their auto-configuration to work, which means a bunch of manual configuration if you have multiple subnets or broadcast domains.

Their licensing is a weird quirk of trying to avoiding having a yearly maintenance fee but realizing it's kind of a requirement for enterprise software. And their head of sales effectively launched a coup so his weird brainchild became a thing. After Motorola's acquisition

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Oh right I have a related question, has anyone used DoorFlow or any other system that integrates with a local controller but is managed/maintained in the cloud and most importantly has direct integration with Azure? We want cloud management/Azure integration, but we don't want a FB / Meta situation where "our internet / DNS is down so the doors don't work" happens. We're also dealing with multiple locations that don't necessarily have VPN to each other or any other singular place, and we certainly would prefer not to run more local or "AWS-local" infrastructure, meaning no pets. DoorFlow seemed like the only choice that popped up in a quick search, but I'm interested in people's actual experience.

So with FB/Meta, they did something staggeringly stupid in terms of design. But it wasn't a cloud vs on-prem issue. So normally for access control you have a head end either locally or in the cloud. This is where you will do your programing. When you add users or make changes the head end will push them to the door controllers. The door controllers keep a local copy of the information relevant to them. So if I have permission to access a door, the local controller has a copy of my credential info. So if the network goes down for any reason, your doors will continue to function.

From what I can gather with FB, someone in upper management thought there was a huge security risk with this and decided to disable it. Most modern door controllers encrypt the data, so you'd have to pull the memory and decrypt it to get the credentials. So when their network went down, the local readers didn't have a local copy to refer to.

I haven't done a direct Azure integration, but AD integration is pretty normal. And with some good news, physical security doesn't really do the SSO tax thing. I'm sure there are some exceptions but generally it's part of the base software. As for providers, Brio is the largest player in the space. But it's a pretty rapidly growing space at the moment.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Scanning to mail and other poo poo works again.

New fiber service was blocking it.

"It's gotta be the firewall"

We didn't change poo poo. So no.

"It's gotta be the Exhnage connector whitelist"

That would make sense, except we changed that and it didn't help, and the other servers that email the same way aren't even on the drat list.

Called the ISP

"We don't block anything"

Sure you don't. Can I talk to a switch tech pls?

"It's gotta be your equipment"

You sure? OTHER PEOPLE online say you block ports. Which I understand. But please unblock me.

"Well we didn't even give you any equipment"

Sure you did. Look at this fancy box right here

"Hold on let me call someone in switching..."

Meanwhile our other guy here wants to spin up an internal smtp server then route everything over tls which makes sense and is the right thing to do, but it's not a small change and not something j can do at home from. Y phone.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Thomamelas posted:

Door stuff

I started here in like June?

Nobody's card made after mine could access the sever room door. Every other door, worked fine.

HR checked and triple checked and it still didn't work. They even tried making a card MASTER or whatever.

Gets annoying because no vendor, IT dept employee, or contractor can get in the server room or phone room.

So one day few weeks ago I got tired of being the key master and had the new girl try to figure it out. Got nowhere. Weird thing was that dooor doesnt show Up in audit logs, not even for my valid accesses. So then I got on it, traced all the locks back to the panels and found out the loving panel the server room door works off has been offline since like a week after I started

/9 it had my info, would let me in, but not anyone else. Power cycled that bitch and it went back to normal.

We're in the middle of swapping door systems too. What a cluster gently caress.

The stupid MSP was going to do it (why!?!?!) until their subcontractor bailed so we had to find our own contractor and then they're going to manage them? A ton of doors need to be redone because the MSP quoted out all the wrong poo poo for additions etc.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

I started here in like June?

Nobody's card made after mine could access the sever room door. Every other door, worked fine.

HR checked and triple checked and it still didn't work. They even tried making a card MASTER or whatever.

Gets annoying because no vendor, IT dept employee, or contractor can get in the server room or phone room.

So one day few weeks ago I got tired of being the key master and had the new girl try to figure it out. Got nowhere. Weird thing was that dooor doesnt show Up in audit logs, not even for my valid accesses. So then I got on it, traced all the locks back to the panels and found out the loving panel the server room door works off has been offline since like a week after I started

/9 it had my info, would let me in, but not anyone else. Power cycled that bitch and it went back to normal.

We're in the middle of swapping door systems too. What a cluster gently caress.

The stupid MSP was going to do it (why!?!?!) until their subcontractor bailed so we had to find our own contractor and then they're going to manage them? A ton of doors need to be redone because the MSP quoted out all the wrong poo poo for additions etc.

Yeah, if the controller doesn't talk to the head end, then updating isn't going to happen. The basic design for door controllers is pretty stable. Even when they transitioned from serial to IP, the hardware has a lot of stuff in it that still behaves like a serial device. I haven't checked in a few years but Mercury panels still get addressed as if they were serial devices. They also tend to be limited burst communication as opposed to a continuous connection. So going offline is possible.

I am not a huge advocate for security integrators. If bottom 80% of them went out of business, I suspect it would be a huge boon for the industry. But for the love of loving god, do not let MSPs do anything touching on Life Safety gear. The half-assed is too much effort mentality along with learn it by doing one don't go well with poo poo that might get people hurt. Doors are one of those things that look super simple. It's open or it's closed. But there are a ton of variables for picking out door hardware. If you want the MSP to handle the networking end, that's fine but I've been part of several projects that were unfucking MSPs attempts at installing door hardware. The best case outcome was the unfucking only costing twice what doing it right the first time would have.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Thomamelas posted:

I am not a huge advocate for security integrators. If bottom 80% of them went out of business, I suspect it would be a huge boon for the industry. But for the love of loving god, do not let MSPs do anything touching on Life Safety gear. The half-assed is too much effort mentality along with learn it by doing one don't go well with poo poo that might get people hurt. Doors are one of those things that look super simple. It's open or it's closed. But there are a ton of variables for picking out door hardware. If you want the MSP to handle the networking end, that's fine but I've been part of several projects that were unfucking MSPs attempts at installing door hardware. The best case outcome was the unfucking only costing twice what doing it right the first time would have.

I used to work at a mental institution and our door setups were ten times anything you'd see in a factory even with a couple 'secure' areas. I wanted to get the company that did the doors there to come over and give us a quote but what the hell do I know.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

I used to work at a mental institution and our door setups were ten times anything you'd see in a factory even with a couple 'secure' areas. I wanted to get the company that did the doors there to come over and give us a quote but what the hell do I know.

Oh the fun places where an AHJ will sign off on things like delayed egress. Factories tend to be easy. Building stairwells are a nightmare but that tends to be due to every AHJ having their own understanding of the codes, and their own interpretation. Schools are fun because classroom doors get their own special bit of building code but that's easy and straight forward.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Please don't make me remember all the garbage I forgot. I finally left that horrible world behind.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Bob Morales posted:

The fire department will have strong words with you, liberally spiced with four letter sentence enhancers, if you do what $MSP suggests for our only two ingress/egress doors for this 200 person facility. "A chair through a window" is not a valid egress option when the doors all fail in a locked state in a power outage, network outage, or 'the software was lowest bidder' event. Also known as 'days that end in y'.

It's always a treat to tell someone "No" with the reason "the fire inspector, building inspector, OSHA, and possibly homeland security will have *words* with you if you do something this dumb".

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Thomamelas posted:

Yeah, if the controller doesn't talk to the head end, then updating isn't going to happen. The basic design for door controllers is pretty stable. Even when they transitioned from serial to IP, the hardware has a lot of stuff in it that still behaves like a serial device. I haven't checked in a few years but Mercury panels still get addressed as if they were serial devices. They also tend to be limited burst communication as opposed to a continuous connection. So going offline is possible.

Find an integrator with a good networking guy on staff and you are made.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Replacing an old Cisco switch with an Aruba 6200f. After two weeks the Aruba dies -- fans spinning very fast, won't boot. Replace the Aruba with another 6200f. After two weeks, the new Aruba switch dies the same way.

It's not particularly hot in the closet. Only thing I can think of is exceptionally dirty power from the UPS?

Cheech Marinade
Apr 17, 2002
AT&T suddenly turned on Flood Protection on our modem one weekend, and it's totally hosed us over. This happened to be a weekend where my coworkers replaced an ethernet switch in our office, so we spent dozens of man hours trying to figure out how replacing an unrelated switch was preventing SSL connections from working correctly. I can no longer scan our internet facing servers with SSLlabs.com, but if you keep trying the pages will eventually load. We have a Bomgar and nCentral server with ~1000 clients each. It takes over a minute to log into the Bomgar now. AT&T said there's no way to disable the built-in flood protection on their modem.

This is a symmetric gigabit fiber connection with static IPs on a "Business" plan. At this point we'll probably have to go back to our 400/20 Spectrum connection that goes down daily multiple times for 30 seconds or so each time.

Cheech Marinade fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 24, 2021

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I have had AT&T modems start dropping SIP invites when more than a few phones rang at once, I wonder if that's why...

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

regulargonzalez posted:

Replacing an old Cisco switch with an Aruba 6200f. After two weeks the Aruba dies -- fans spinning very fast, won't boot. Replace the Aruba with another 6200f. After two weeks, the new Aruba switch dies the same way.

It's not particularly hot in the closet. Only thing I can think of is exceptionally dirty power from the UPS?

Or both units shipped from the same VAR that were shipped from the same palette at the factory. Someone backed a forklift into said palette, destroying over half of the units but these were two of the survivors. Sure they survived with a dented chassis but a quick swap of parts and these two units look as good as new, right?

Ask me about the time I ordered 24 SAS drives for a SAN and ten were DOA in the box.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Just found out that an employee was tasked with disabling then moving over 1000 old AD accounts had been doing it manually for I have no idea how long. I'm not busy so I said I could help with any projects so I was given a list of 700 people and am expected to do them one by one lmao

This is the second job in a row where people were adverse to using Powershell to getting poo poo like this done. It looks like it's not even 3 lines of code to do something to take care of it. This is ridiculous.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

wolrah posted:

I have had AT&T modems start dropping SIP invites when more than a few phones rang at once, I wonder if that's why...

I have seen DDOS protection features stomp on SIP connections where there are too many retries. If the connection is wonky and SIP does what it does and keeps trying to connect, some systems see that as an attack. It would probably take a number of phones doing this at once however.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Being able to get the job I have today can be directly traced back to automating tedious active directory janitoring tasks

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

regulargonzalez posted:

Get another replacement and if that dies get your Aruba rep involved. It's up to them to prove you're killing the things, not for you to prove your power is good. It can't hurt to check the power anyway but coming out of a UPS it should be good.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I don't know why, but people who use emoji, smileys, and chatspeak (and/or overuse/improperly use ellipses) in business emails make me want to go full :commissar: I don't want to see a goddamn "lol.." in an email from the CFO. Did you mean to make a half-assed ellipsis or is the ".." supposed to be "."? If it is intentional, why not just go full "..."? And also, if it is intentional, what the gently caress are you not saying? Just loving say it, I've got my Depends on, I can handle it.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

The Fool posted:

Being able to get the job I have today can be directly traced back to automating tedious active directory janitoring tasks

:same:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

D34THROW posted:

I don't know why, but people who use emoji, smileys, and chatspeak (and/or overuse/improperly use ellipses) in business emails make me want to go full :commissar: I don't want to see a goddamn "lol.." in an email from the CFO. Did you mean to make a half-assed ellipsis or is the ".." supposed to be "."? If it is intentional, why not just go full "..."? And also, if it is intentional, what the gently caress are you not saying? Just loving say it, I've got my Depends on, I can handle it.

I'll :cry: in my emails and you can't stop me

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

The Fool posted:

be me, try to automate tedious active directory janitoring

it doesn't work because active directory is locked down tighter than a chicken's cloaca

:smithicide:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

D34THROW posted:

I put :ughh: in a message to my boss literally yesterday.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

dragonshardz posted:

be me, try to automate tedious active directory janitoring

it doesn't work because active directory is locked down tighter than a chicken's cloaca

:smithicide:

Same, and with Powershell too.

And then when I try to get another job I can't say I know how to use any of it because I've never been in an environment that allowed me

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bossman asked if we could turn the volume up on the TV screens on our wall. One is Outlook with the IT group mailbox, one is a network monitoring system, the other is our SIEM, and the other is the MSP's Zabbix.

"Shouldn't sounds be playing when there are alerts etc?"

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Lol does he want the Kill Bill alert to play?

E: ngl, that'd be pretty dope.

E2 vvv that reminded me of when I used to wait tables at this restaurant that had a "kids eat free" night and kids got these reusable cups with lids and straws. The straws were a thick plastic with accordion style folds and when they were waved through the air or blown through would make a high pitched screeching whistle. Having two dozen kids doing that from 5-8 pm was a very specific and horrific type of hell.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 24, 2021

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Ask him if he has kids, and if he did, how he felt when someone got a toy for their kid that made any type of sound. Now imagine that these screens are the child and your techs are the parents. Hopefully the message will set in quick.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

DelphiAegis posted:

Ask him if he has kids, and if he did, how he felt when someone got a toy for their kid that made any type of sound. Now imagine that these screens are the child and your techs are the parents. Hopefully the message will set in quick.

The place he used to work had something like that and HE THOUGHT IT WAS COOL

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

KillHour posted:

I put :ughh: in a message to my boss literally yesterday.

I added :negative: to our Slack instance and use it with concerning frequency.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

It’s probably a good thing that Teams doesn’t do custom emoji’s because I would out myself as a goon instantly

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Me: "Please write up a detailed document on what the issue is, your findings and steps to reproduce and file it as a ticket with me cc'd."

4 hours later, in the ticket: "This functionality is not working as in on [event] the [action] are not happening. It is [software] version, but I do not see it on the Support Portal. Attaching file for your reference [JSON config file]"

:wtc:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

A windows update absolutely hosed my personal PC and now I'm reinstalling windows :negative:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

The Fool posted:

It’s probably a good thing that Teams doesn’t do custom emoji’s because I would out myself as a goon instantly

I would not add them but I would use the poo poo out of them

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

KillHour posted:

A windows update absolutely hosed my personal PC and now I'm reinstalling windows :negative:

That's a serious enfuckening. Couldn't uninstall the update?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

That's a serious enfuckening. Couldn't uninstall the update?

Nope. It bluescreens on boot and the recovery options did nothing, including the ones to roll back updates (it just says it failed to roll the update back).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I once had a Windows update cause all passwords for all accounts to stop working, that was a nightmare. This was before Microsoft accounts.