Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Duck and Cover posted:

Path of Exiles isn't actually as complicated as it pretends to be it's just terrible at communication. The passive tree is only complicated if you don't realize you absolutely must have like 180% life. They don't tell you. It takes experience to know if an item is usable/worth selling and they present it as a wall of same colored text which makes figuring it out at a glance difficult. Even if you have the experience you don't pick up garbage because the chance of treasure is incredibly low. Different definitions of the word "nearby". https://www.poewiki.net/wiki/Distance If you hadn't realized you really really want to max resists, they teach you by having you die a bunch. No you won't get sweet resist gear to help you, the game just difficulty spikes hope you've been paying attention to resist gear.

I want to like Path of Exile but they clearly do not want to be a modern video game that respects the players time.

The biggest example of this to me as a very casual player is the endgame gearing being entirely built on trading but there isn't even an in-game auction house lmao

That was a big mindfuck the first time finding out that there's actually no "gear" progression so to speak, it's all about getting as much dosh as possible so you can buy and upgrade actually good items

Its not a bad system at all it's just bizarrely over complicated, but to be fair that's part of the appeal of PoE and I do like that GGG is doing something unique

Its also why I like tarkov

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

abigserve posted:

The biggest example of this to me as a very casual player is the endgame gearing being entirely built on trading but there isn't even an in-game auction house lmao

That was a big mindfuck the first time finding out that there's actually no "gear" progression so to speak, it's all about getting as much dosh as possible so you can buy and upgrade actually good items

Its not a bad system at all it's just bizarrely over complicated, but to be fair that's part of the appeal of PoE and I do like that GGG is doing something unique

Its also why I like tarkov

They built a whole out of game trade system that is extremely good, but they are ideologically opposed to just letting players list items for sale offline. Every trade must be done via an archaic diablo 2 style trade box.

This is what pisses me off about path of Exile most of all. I'm a freak about trading in video games, I made billions just trading items in the station in EVE online. But I'll be damned if I'm going to stay online and manually swap every individual chaos orb. Give me offline trades ggg :(

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
There is gear progression, there are people who beat the hardest content in the game on the SSF servers (stands for Solo Self-Found, disallows all trading and co-op so you have to use only gear you farm/craft yourself, although you can still share poo poo between alts).
It's just extremely lovely and slow compared to trading because of the extreme variance in drops. There are just so many random numbers on top of other random numbers before an item can be good for your character.

GGG Chris is just ultra nostalgic for trading in diablo 2 through forum posts and wants the whole game to be like that. There used to only be a trade forum, the only reason the official trade search (and its api) exists is because people were making third party sites to scrape through trade-forum posts and programs to automatically post threads to sell your poo poo, basically creating all of its functionality but in a lovely inefficient way.

Fun fact: the console version of PoE has a way improved trading system that lets you put items up for specific prices and have other players buy when you're offline, transferring the currency automatically to your inventory.
But to keep it "balanced" with the pc version's trade, they intentionally gimped the trade search to be almost useless. You can set a broad category like "rings", but then any text search after that will only highlight results -- you have to scroll through every ring up for trade in the entire game to find the one with the rare mod you need.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

GGG Chris is just ultra nostalgic for trading in diablo 2

Do you blame the man? That house didn't pay for itself.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
They should make a system where you can buy and set up a NPC vender with a screen full of trades. But it's a league mechanic so you will only see a random players vender pop into a map every once in a while like Perandus coins guy

Then they can have best of both worlds, also they can sell cosmetics to put on your vender. Give me money ggg

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

X JAKK posted:

Wandering around all of Springfield with that hauntingly relaxing music, beating the crap out of anyone who annoyed you until they run away screaming, beating God in Dance Dance Revolution, good times.

I vividly remember the DDR part because the d-pad on my Xbox 360 controller was busted and that part would only allow inputs with the d-pad. I ended up brute forcing it, but I swear I spent way too long on that part.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That's the only part of the game I remember, because it, like so many other "rhythm" minigames at the time, had nothing to do with the loving rhythm. It was just random arrows, they didn't even stick to the beat

Hated that poo poo so goddamn much, and it was everywhere

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Redezga posted:

I know The Simpsons: Hit & Run is the more beloved open world The Simpsons game, but The Simpsons Game (2007) has a better and more fleshed out interpretation of Springfield as a town in every way. Similar to the difference between Liberty City in GTA3 and GTA4. That said I don't want a remake of either, I just want the GTA5 of The Simpsons open world games.

Wasn't that one level-based? I played through that one but don't remember an overworld at all.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rutibex posted:

no one should play skyrim any more. you played it enough, its time to move on

I stopped playing because I sold off some item that I thought I'd never use only for it to become a key quest item four or five quests down the chain. So with my "did some stuff, none of the main quest after I left the tutorial area" playthrough, I agree that I played it enough.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

pooch516 posted:

Wasn't that one level-based? I played through that one but don't remember an overworld at all.

Its open world (the levels themselves are self contained) at the start but after a few levels you get moved to a little theater hub where the last few stages are.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

X JAKK posted:

Its open world (the levels themselves are self contained) at the start but after a few levels you get moved to a little theater hub where the last few stages are.

you know the Chrono Trigger encryption problem has been solved, you can make Awful Trigger any time you want now

https://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Utilities_(Chrono_Trigger).html

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Rutibex posted:

you know the Chrono Trigger encryption problem has been solved, you can make Awful Trigger any time you want now

https://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Utilities_(Chrono_Trigger).html

I can do writing and the creative aspects of fights and abilities and such, but no way i have time to do the actual extraction and tools and technical stuff anymore with my video production crap going on

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

kntfkr posted:

Here's an unpopular opinion: my favorite Monkey Island is the 3rd one. I really enjoyed the voice acting and visuals.

See, at the time it came out, I would have agreed, but now that they're all old and I'm nostalgic for them all, I don't agree anymore that this is an unpopular opinion. Monkey 3 IS the best, it's stood the test of time, but it's altogether more vibrant. The voice acting was so good. "That doesn't need to be augered!" "Like oil and water" etc will be forever burned into my memory, and I really don't mind.

Hmm, I wanna play it again now, actually. "NEPTUNES NAVEL!"!

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

I liked 3 the best, too. I thought the sea battle minigame was a fun diversion.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Random Stranger posted:

I stopped playing because I sold off some item that I thought I'd never use only for it to become a key quest item four or five quests down the chain. So with my "did some stuff, none of the main quest after I left the tutorial area" playthrough, I agree that I played it enough.

I don't think you're able to sell quest items.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

If there isn’t at least one game breaking bug or oversight it’s not a Bethesda game.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

kntfkr posted:

Here's an unpopular opinion: my favorite Monkey Island is the 3rd one. I really enjoyed the voice acting and visuals.

I didn't like it when it came out because it wasn't pixel graphics anymore and also it was too demanding on my computer then.

I've gotten to enjoy it a lot later on. Lucas adventures are like the earlier Simpsons seasons for me. I tend to replay them every few years. And even though I remember most of them, there are always a few puzzles I forget and need to use my brain on.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

You can definitely dump the archmage's staff which looked like just another crappy item until it turned out the quest chain wasn't over and you needed it at the very end.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Rutibex posted:

no one should play skyrim any more. you played it enough, its time to move on

I would like to add to this: Please stop buying skyrim again. If you already own one skyrim, that is plenty.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I liked Final Fantasy 8.

Sure it was a weird fever-dream mess but it had a fun aesthetic in that weird turn-of-the-century Zell's-jorts-and-face-tats sort of way.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I actually really love like the first half of FFVIII without any sort of "it's so dumb it rules" thing. Most of the story up until the end of disc 2 is great, with a weird, fun setting, cool setpieces, distinct characters, the developing mystery about Laguna, Kiros, and Ward flashbacks, all of that stuff.

I feel like it takes a big dive right towards the end of disc 2 and at that point it becomes "it's so dumb it rules" instead of being just outright pretty cool.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
FFIX is way to slow for me. I know it's pretty beloved but it's just slow. Something about the gameplay makes me bounce off it every time.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

FFIX is way to slow for me. I know it's pretty beloved but it's just slow. Something about the gameplay makes me bounce off it every time.

9 is the weakest of the PS1 era FFs IMO. Trance was a dogshit Limit Break system and learning skills from weapons also sucked. Also the story felt slow and not all that interesting once it got going. I think the fact that it was a fantasy game after a pair of dystopian sci-fi adventures gave it a lot of instant nostalgia that helped people look past it's flaws. Which is fine, it's still one of the better JRPGs ever made, it's just not perfect like some fans act.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Also it had bad minigames and yes I'm including Chocobo Hot and Cold. It can't hold a candle to Triple Triad or anything from Gold Saucer.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Almost all of my favorite games have serious flaws that I tend to forgive because the overall experience is so great for me. FFIX is one of those. The combat is absolutely too slow. The Trance system is awkward at best. Tetra Master is a huge downgrade from Triple Triad. The story does a real disservice to some of the characters, especially Freya.

But goddamn if it isn't my favorite FF anyway.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

I never played any FF except for FF7 Remake and FF15 much beyond the halfway point. Somehow they all fall off in quality in the 2nd half. It's a good thing they never managed to finish FF15 properly, otherwise I'd have never seen the ending.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

After 6 they fall off at the halfway point no question (except for 10 and 13).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah I was going to say at least X definitely doesn't fall off at the midway point. It does a really good job of keeping up the momentum.

Been a long time since I've played X-2 but I remember that one being pretty good all the way through, too.

As much as I love FFXII it absolutely has a big drop-off in quality around the halfway point, one of the more precipitous ones in the series. The story starts to feel like it's stretched very thin after Mt. Bur-Omisace. I still love the game because what's there has some great stuff, but there really is a very palpable drop-off in quality, both in the story pacing and the zones and dungeons.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Harrow posted:

I actually really love like the first half of FFVIII without any sort of "it's so dumb it rules" thing. Most of the story up until the end of disc 2 is great, with a weird, fun setting, cool setpieces, distinct characters, the developing mystery about Laguna, Kiros, and Ward flashbacks, all of that stuff.

I feel like it takes a big dive right towards the end of disc 2 and at that point it becomes "it's so dumb it rules" instead of being just outright pretty cool.

The first CD of FF8 is my favorite final fantasy, and I wish it sort of stuck thematically like that.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Harrow posted:

Almost all of my favorite games have serious flaws that I tend to forgive because the overall experience is so great for me. FFIX is one of those. The combat is absolutely too slow. The Trance system is awkward at best. Tetra Master is a huge downgrade from Triple Triad. The story does a real disservice to some of the characters, especially Freya.

But goddamn if it isn't my favorite FF anyway.

IMO Tetra Master is even better than Triple Triad. However, they totally dropped the ball on explaining the game, because the rules are complicated and not explained in the slightest. However once you get the hang of it it's great. I agree the big problem was with the trance system, which is the only thing the earlier PS1 FFs did better than IX. The combat is indeed to slow, but you can turbo boost on emulators, and Square even added a turbo button to the re-releases, so that's not really an issue anymore.

My unpopular FF opinion is that FFV is the second best in the series, and easily the best of the SNES era.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Doctor J Off posted:

IMO Tetra Master is even better than Triple Triad. However, they totally dropped the ball on explaining the game, because the rules are complicated and not explained in the slightest. However once you get the hang of it it's great. I agree the big problem was with the trance system, which is the only thing the earlier PS1 FFs did better than IX. The combat is indeed to slow, but you can turbo boost on emulators, and Square even added a turbo button to the re-releases, so that's not really an issue anymore.

My unpopular FF opinion is that FFV is the second best in the series, and easily the best of the SNES era.

My extra unpopular opinion is that V is the second best and XI is the best but I admittedly have brainworms

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Elentor posted:

The first CD of FF8 is my favorite final fantasy, and I wish it sort of stuck thematically like that.

Yeah if FFVIII had been like disc 1 and (most of) disc 2 the whole way through it would probably be one of my favorites.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Harrow posted:

As much as I love FFXII it absolutely has a big drop-off in quality around the halfway point, one of the more precipitous ones in the series. The story starts to feel like it's stretched very thin after Mt. Bur-Omisace. I still love the game because what's there has some great stuff, but there really is a very palpable drop-off in quality, both in the story pacing and the zones and dungeons.

50% of the game's script/cutscenes is located in the first 20% of the game. It's completely bonkers.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
XCOM 2

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

I disagree

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Elentor posted:

Same. Cool intro, and the mercenary thing seemed pretty fresh. I liked how you got a rank and pay based on your performance. Disc 1 also had a great climax with the failed assassination. Being a mercenary doing assassinations seemed like a cool way of hooking you into a darker plot full of political machinations.

Then it just goes completely down the toilet. I don't remember much except for Squall becoming the leader of the mercenary school for no reason and everyone having the same backstory that they all just plumb forgot because they were using too much magic.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nice Van My Man posted:

Then it just goes completely down the toilet. I don't remember much except for Squall becoming the leader of the mercenary school for no reason and everyone having the same backstory that they all just plumb forgot because they were using too much magic.

Thing is that the whole "magic (or more specifically the magic spirits we use to cast magic) eats your memories" thing is actually a really cool twist, it's just hamstrung by the "we were all in the same orphanage" part of it and also the fact that this kind of thing never really becomes important to the story again.

I love the idea that it costs something for mortals to use magic and that people are generally unaware of that cost until it's too late (or pointed out to them). It's just, y'know, brought up for the sake of the orphanage twist and then never really prominent again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, thematically it could be really interesting. It was just delivered in the most boring way possible and seemed to have very little impact on the characters or the events that played out after it. I hated the orphanage twist that went with it.

Sort of like when the mercenary school turned out to be run by some bad guy. It could have been done in an interesting way, making you question who you trust and why, but in the game you just went into the basement and kicked some guy's rear end that you never heard of before then came back up and everything was fine. (I last played it like 20 years ago so I may be misremembering something).