Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Convex posted:

I think it was Bill Clinton panic banning human cloning after watching seminal sci-fi parable The Sixth Day

Oh! I liked that movie back in the day. :-)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1463561300382998541

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bug Squash posted:

We could probably clone someone now if we really tried. There would be quite a few severely messed up babies produced in the attempt and no real benefit, but it could be done.

I mean Dolly the Sheep was born in 1993. I presume the procedure isn't different for a human, particularly since monkeys have been cloned.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Julio Cruz posted:

banning cars is a great idea in theory but if you don’t have alternative infrastructure in place first (which nowhere in this country does with the possible exception of London) then you’re just punishing people who rely on them for such luxuries as, uh, getting to work, or buying food, or transporting their families around

No poo poo, the point is build the alternative infrastructure. Normalise using the loving bus. Build more railways & stations. If we're not just doing a revolution then force housing developers to pay to ensure that new developments have public transit links, bike paths, all that poo poo.

I'm not even arguing for banning cars but as a society we need to look at our reliance on them. Live in a village that's maybe 3/4 of a mile from one end to the other, it has 2 shops, 1 in roughly the middle & 1 at one end. Number of people who drive to the shop is baffling. If someone has mobility issues, yes, car makes sense. But gently caress me man, I'm a goon & I can get there & back in under 20 minutes, normal people can manage it. I worked 18 miles away, but it involved a 45 minute bus journey in the wrong direction, then change buses (15-30 minutes wait on a good day), then another hour plus. Unless I was on the late shift, which involved having to walk 20 minutes to get the bus, then you get off in the middle of no where & face a 2 mile walk, in pitch black on a road with no lighting & an awful lot of blind spots & rises for cars to come around. (Also in the winter that road seems to get neglected by the gritters so add falling on your loving arse to my complaints) I know what's like to need to get by on rural public transport. It's poo poo.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2021/nov/24/harpers-law-will-not-be-retrospective-says-dominic-raab

Laws named after people are bad, take 73.

quote:

A new law that will bring in mandatory life sentence for offenders who kill emergency services workers while committing crimes will not be retrospective, Dominic Raab has said.

The justice secretary’s statement means that the killers of PC Andrew Harper, who died in on duty, will not have their sentences extended.

It's worrying that this needs to be stated

quote:

Lissie Harper said: “Emergency services workers require extra protection. I know all too well how they are put at risk and into the depths of danger on a regular basis on behalf of society. That protection is what Harper’s law will provide, and I am delighted that it will soon become a reality.”

Harsher sentences, famous for stopping people doing things

I wonder if she knows that "life sentence" doesn't mean that they would literally be locked up forever until they die. Even if she does, most people who like this law probably don't.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Total Meatlove posted:

Have you considered moving to any of the wonderful towns along the Glasgow to Stranraer route? (Not Prestwick)

It's tempting but we need to be commutable between Glasgow and Edinburgh. The other option is somewhere between like cumbernauld but I'd rather choose death.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Bug Squash posted:

We could probably clone someone now if we really tried. There would be quite a few severely messed up babies produced in the attempt and no real benefit, but it could be done.

Humans have most definitely been cloned already. There's some grim lab in rural China or international waters that is like palpatines workshop. The technology for mammals was perfected in the 90s, probably all the billionaires have cloned themselves multiple times because noncing someone else's kids just doest give that rush anymore.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Fuuuck its infuriating watching the BBC news about the migrant deaths. The home secutary was literally suggesting we let people drown just a few weeks ago, feels very relevant right now but ofc they won't bring that up.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

keep punching joe posted:

Humans have most definitely been cloned already. There's some grim lab in rural China or international waters that is like palpatines workshop. The technology for mammals was perfected in the 90s, probably all the billionaires have cloned themselves multiple times because noncing someone else's kids just doest give that rush anymore.

Dunno about noncing but I'd be *astonished* if there's not an island full of organ-banks somewhere out there, given the obsession multiple billionaires have with life-extension and immortality.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Are SSE in trouble?

I got an e-mail saying my direct debit is going up 20% for gas due to the energy market. Mind I'm on a fixed rate and also in credit by £100 or so. I'm also massively in credit for electricity and have been for over a year so I thought its time to get that refunded which of course you cant request online. I called the number on my bill and its just a recorded message saying they can only deal with Gas and electricity emergencies at the moment. If I want to pay a bill press 1, if I dont have gas/electricity press 2. Thats all the options I have.

In the e-mail that i got about the price rise there was another number which goes to a recorded message about the price rise, so I assume its been sent to loads of people.

I managed to get through on that number and the lady on the phone said it made absolutely no sense why my bill was going up so much when it should be coming down based on the usage but that the deparmtent that could look at it was closed.

I know we've got some utility company knowers in here, any rumblings?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

It's tempting but we need to be commutable between Glasgow and Edinburgh. The other option is somewhere between like cumbernauld but I'd rather choose death.

Someplace like Livingston or Falkirk might be your best shout.

Frustratingly, commuting from Edinburgh to Glasgow is painful if you live closer to either one despite how close the cities seem to be geographically.

I had to pretty much write off any jobs in Glasgow when I moved to a small village south of Edinburgh because the rush hour commute was about an hour and a half to two hours+ depending on where you got stuck in traffic (though getting out of Lieth at rush hour takes about as long, :/).

I'm technically a 15-minute drive to the Edinburgh bypass and then it's just a straight shot to Glasgow, but it gets so congested it slows everything down.

I'm actually fortunate for public transport though. I'm a 10-minute walk to the nearest station that goes straight to Waverley before a train switch takes me straight to Glasgow. Really low effort, but still a 2-hour commute from my door to Queen street station. The kicker is that for an annual season ticket it costs £5,184. Probably not the most expensive route, but for how loving far it is, it feels like a massive pisstake.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

serious gaylord posted:

Are SSE in trouble?

I really hope not. I've been with them the best part of 2 decades entirely due to laziness and my stubborn refusal to make any effort to shop around for a better deal was finally looking like the right choice

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Kin posted:

Livingston remains the weirdest place I've ever visited in the UK. It really does feel like a small American town somehow transplanted into Scotland. It's not a *bad* place at all (certainly compared to Slough) but just seriously strange vibes.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

serious gaylord posted:

Are SSE in trouble?

I got an e-mail saying my direct debit is going up 20% for gas due to the energy market. Mind I'm on a fixed rate and also in credit by £100 or so. I'm also massively in credit for electricity and have been for over a year so I thought its time to get that refunded which of course you cant request online. I called the number on my bill and its just a recorded message saying they can only deal with Gas and electricity emergencies at the moment. If I want to pay a bill press 1, if I dont have gas/electricity press 2. Thats all the options I have.

In the e-mail that i got about the price rise there was another number which goes to a recorded message about the price rise, so I assume its been sent to loads of people.

I managed to get through on that number and the lady on the phone said it made absolutely no sense why my bill was going up so much when it should be coming down based on the usage but that the deparmtent that could look at it was closed.

I thought SSE sold their domestic energy arm to Ovo or someone?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Yeah they did, but its still branded SSE on all my letters and the website.

So I guess are OVO in trouble is the more accurate question?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Dunno about noncing but I'd be *astonished* if there's not an island full of organ-banks somewhere out there, given the obsession multiple billionaires have with life-extension and immortality.

The Island is a more likely scenario since we don't have the tech to keep complex organs alive for more than a few hours/days at most so leaving them in a cloned body would be easiest. For the simple stuff you wouldn't really need a custom grown human when pig and cow are right there.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Z the IVth posted:

The Island is a more likely scenario since we don't have the tech to keep complex organs alive for more than a few hours/days at most so leaving them in a cloned body would be easiest.

Kazuo Ishiguro did it first.

Actually, now that I check they both came out in 2005, so uhh Never Let Me Go is good, but The Island has Scarlett Johansson so it's impossible to say

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Human cloning will be mainstream as soon as its more cost effective to run organ island than simply harvest organs from state dissidents.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Human cloning will be mainstream as soon as its more cost effective to run organ island than simply harvest organs from state dissidents.

You need healthy, un-abused dissidents tho. Which billionaire is going to pay for the kidneys of some malnourished guy in a gulag?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Z the IVth posted:

You need healthy, un-abused dissidents tho. Which billionaire is going to pay for the kidneys of some malnourished guy in a gulag?

Why do you think the healthy vegan martial arts practicing Falun Gong are so persecuted. Prime cuts.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Livingston remains the weirdest place I've ever visited in the UK. It really does feel like a small American town somehow transplanted into Scotland. It's not a *bad* place at all (certainly compared to Slough) but just seriously strange vibes.

I don't know the exact history of how towns formed in Scotland but I think Livingston is an "artificial" one. Like a lot of homes and shops were just built within the last 50 years. As a result, it's all engineered and designed and lacking odd "natural" windey streets and stuff baked in some kind of history that a lot of other towns have.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I was thinking more of same-sex and trans relationships being able to make large adult gamete to form babby, not Bezos eating Uighur kidneys.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Most of the stuff around boro was built in the last 200 because of the industry, and then quite a lot of it again since the war because the luftwaffe redeveloped a lot of it though fortunately it still retains a lot of the layout, it's impressive how civic planning has gone down the shitter in that time, victorians might have been shite but they built some nice things and then you have terminal american car brain giving you the grid and endless car parks.

Always a fun contrast with say, whitby, which is much older and more natural (and also constrained by the landscape) where there are a bunch of features that just don't exist in more modern layouts, like tiny little alleys you could piss across between every few buildings. Which honestly I quite like even if they do look like a thousand murderers are going to come pouring out the minute it gets dark. It's nice to be able to just go sideways through streets to get where you want to go.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 24, 2021

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

serious gaylord posted:

Yeah they did, but its still branded SSE on all my letters and the website.

So I guess are OVO in trouble is the more accurate question?

As someone who works at Ovo, nope nowhere near trouble.

It sounds like the process which increases direct debits based on usage is just a little overzealous. Have you submitted actual meter readings regularly or just relied on estimates?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

serious gaylord posted:

Are SSE in trouble?

None here. They've been releasing our accounts on request with less problem than any other supplier. E.On are being a bit dickish and Opus are clutching on to the couple that they have like a Hebridean to his sporran, but they've always been like that.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Kin posted:

We've considered it as an option, but I've only ever visited Livi via Google Maps and it has the vibe of an out of town retail park.

Might have to bite the bullet on Edinburgh working as I'd rather live cheaply in some dying Ayrshire village than live cheaply in any of the various central belt new town /asda car parks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The occasional time I have been through falkirk on the train it looks extremely depressing and a lot like middlesbrough so that's a recommendation from me.

We also both have the technically-a-good-solution-but-also-quite-silly transport infrastructure.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Water-balance funicular?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In our case they wanted to put a bridge across the river but the boats needed to get past, so they built an extremely tall bridge like 150ft up, and then attached a gondola to it that wheels back and forth suspended from the top of the bridge.

It is technically sensible in the sense that it allows a lot of boat traffic past but it does not function very well as a bridge, because it is basically the elon musk car tunnel lift of bridges.

It probably worked a lot better when it wasn't carrying cars to be honest, but in terms of carrying cars it can carry about ten of them every few minutes across the river.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 24, 2021

ForkBanger
Jul 19, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

It is technically sensible in the sense that it allows a lot of boat traffic past but it does not function very well as a bridge, because it is basically the elon musk car tunnel lift of bridges.

Untrue, it exists (and is not on fire).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kin posted:

I don't know the exact history of how towns formed in Scotland but I think Livingston is an "artificial" one. Like a lot of homes and shops were just built within the last 50 years. As a result, it's all engineered and designed and lacking odd "natural" windey streets and stuff baked in some kind of history that a lot of other towns have.

Yeah, it's a New Town, and they definitely have their own problems, but this is way worse. The centre of town being basically an out-of-town retail park is the most notable thing (as was the fact the Asda opposite my hotel was branded as a Wal-Mart and bigger than the NEC), but it was also the utter hostility to pedestrians that really got to me. Like New Towns (and suburbs) are bad for this of course, but this was active malice rather than simple inattention.

For example - getting from my hotel to the McDonalds, a straight-line distance of about 500 yards, took me almost 20 minutes. I had to cross the same busy road twice because the pavement just stopped at a crossing and then continued on the other side for absolutely no reason, and the McDonalds itself had no pedestrian entrance, I had to follow the road around 3 sides of it to get to the car-park-facing front door. Also the McDonalds was opposite one of those American chain restaurants that came over in the naughties - I *think* it was a TGI Fridays - and there was an actual queue to get in on a Sunday evening. I later found out you could actually walk through the big shopping mall even when it was closed, and it was *rammed* at 8pm, full of people basically promenading past all these closed shops.

Then the next day I decided, because it was a nice day, to just walk to the industrial estate about 2 miles away where I was actually working. The pavement literally just stopped and never came back after half a mile. It's not like I was in the middle of the countryside - like I say this is less than 2 miles from the centre of town - and the trees were actually cut back so there was a footway, but they just never bothered paving it (going back on Street View now suggests they *have* installed a pavement, on one side of the road, but also stopped cutting back the trees so it's unusable). When I mentioned it to the HR person who was my contact there she reacted as if I'd just told her I'd flapped my arms and flew in, despite it being a perfectly pleasant half-hour stroll.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's also a funny comparison to the newport bridge slightly up the river (not to be confused with the newport bridge in wales which is another transporter) where they just made a lift bridge. Which has the advantage of being an actual bridge and also not being closed all the time because of wind, or the winch being broke.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

In our case they wanted to put a bridge across the river but the boats needed to get past, so they built an extremely tall bridge like 150ft up, and then attached a gondola to it that wheels back and forth suspended from the top of the bridge.

It probably worked a lot better when it wasn't carrying cars to be honest, but in terms of carrying cars it can carry about ten of them every few minutes across the river.

Transporter bridges are great - don't think of them as competing with bridges, think of them as really loving fast ferries. Isn't there just a conventional road bridge now that there's no big shipping traffic though?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It was built to replace a ferry system yes, and it is better than a ferry it is true.

There is the newport bridge which I think is basically an extremely large conventional bridge now, as I don't know if the lift mechanism still works. I've never seen it raised at least. There's also the A19 which runs over the river further west and is just a big concrete highway.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, it's a New Town, and they definitely have their own problems, but this is way worse. The centre of town being basically an out-of-town retail park is the most notable thing (as was the fact the Asda opposite my hotel was branded as a Wal-Mart and bigger than the NEC), but it was also the utter hostility to pedestrians that really got to me. Like New Towns (and suburbs) are bad for this of course, but this was active malice rather than simple inattention.

For example - getting from my hotel to the McDonalds, a straight-line distance of about 500 yards, took me almost 20 minutes. I had to cross the same busy road twice because the pavement just stopped at a crossing and then continued on the other side for absolutely no reason, and the McDonalds itself had no pedestrian entrance, I had to follow the road around 3 sides of it to get to the car-park-facing front door. Also the McDonalds was opposite one of those American chain restaurants that came over in the naughties - I *think* it was a TGI Fridays - and there was an actual queue to get in on a Sunday evening. I later found out you could actually walk through the big shopping mall even when it was closed, and it was *rammed* at 8pm, full of people basically promenading past all these closed shops.

Then the next day I decided, because it was a nice day, to just walk to the industrial estate about 2 miles away where I was actually working. The pavement literally just stopped and never came back after half a mile. It's not like I was in the middle of the countryside - like I say this is less than 2 miles from the centre of town - and the trees were actually cut back so there was a footway, but they just never bothered paving it (going back on Street View now suggests they *have* installed a pavement, on one side of the road, but also stopped cutting back the trees so it's unusable). When I mentioned it to the HR person who was my contact there she reacted as if I'd just told her I'd flapped my arms and flew in, despite it being a perfectly pleasant half-hour stroll.

This was also broadly my experience when I had to make visits to stores on industrial/retail parks before I could drive, you definitely get the impression that someone sat the planner down at gunpoint and forced them to make it technically possible to traverse on foot but they are allowed to make it as actively unpleasant as possible. And yes, extremely poorly maintained so any bit of infrastructure that doesn't have trucks rolling over it is covered in foliage and all the bits that do have trucks on them are full of potholes.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 24, 2021

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
just trebuchet the cars across and catch them on the other side in a big net

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/JonJonesSnr/status/1463497994431565825
:allears:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

er he obviously meant when peppa pig was young

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Aphex- posted:

As someone who works at Ovo, nope nowhere near trouble.

It sounds like the process which increases direct debits based on usage is just a little overzealous. Have you submitted actual meter readings regularly or just relied on estimates?

Yep, i give them meter readings every month since you can just type it into the app. Overzealous is an understatement. I can afford a 20% increase but a lot of people might not be able to.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

just trebuchet the cars across and catch them on the other side in a big net

Just build a big ramp and jump the river

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

just upload your consciousness, explode the car on one side of the river, 3d print a new one on the other side and insert yourself into the usb port on the other side