Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

G-III posted:

So we've seen the scale of book's ship next to the cast members... where do they fit the massive inner dimension full of turbolifts we saw at the end of season 3?

(easily one of the dumbest fuckin things I've ever seen on television in my 41 years)

https://youtu.be/is-Gnyk4AWE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

Oh is that what Pluto is? Jeez

Too lovely to be a real planet or a real streaming service?

Like pluto, just the little planet that couldn't.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I haven't been following this thread but I just want to vent somewhere how stupid it was that Burnham and what's his face decided that, when the aliens clearly did not understand the situation with the cat and were getting increasingly angry, they should both in unison say that the cat is a queen. Why did they think the aliens would understand their inside joke about the cat being a queen?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Cojawfee posted:

I haven't been following this thread but I just want to vent somewhere how stupid it was that Burnham and what's his face decided that, when the aliens clearly did not understand the situation with the cat and were getting increasingly angry, they should both in unison say that the cat is a queen. Why did they think the aliens would understand their inside joke about the cat being a queen?

Archer: I'm Starfleet's biggest dumbass when it comes to pets. This one time, I hosed up a whole first contact by beaming my dog down with me to take a leak.

Burnham: Hold my beer

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

The one thing I feel was excellent about Discovery was their Season 3 recap at the beginning. I had a minor itch to rewatch some of it, and that recap scratched it perfectly.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

CaptainSkinny posted:

The one thing I feel was excellent about Discovery was their Season 3 recap at the beginning. I had a minor itch to rewatch some of it, and that recap scratched it perfectly.
That recap also doesn’t cover like half of the season

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

There will inevitably be a Star Trek 14 and I'm curious if they're gonna stay in the TOS JJverse, try to reboot TNG, or what.

I don't think any of the new series have the cultural cachet for Hollywood legs though a feature length animated LD would be the comedy option.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m still skeptical that another movie gets made

They have been going through multiple writers to make a script and nothing has been approved

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

FlamingLiberal posted:

They have been going through multiple writers to make a script and nothing has been approved

Not enough Spock screaming and punching people.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Again, the clipping through walls thing is a missed opportunity. A ship made of programmable matter type tech should be able to eject any sized ship from it's docks. Should look more like an egg leaving a cloaca or a bolus from the throat though.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Khanstant posted:

Again, the clipping through walls thing is a missed opportunity. A ship made of programmable matter type tech should be able to eject any sized ship from it's docks. Should look more like an egg leaving a cloaca or a bolus from the throat though.

We've all seen The Motion Picture and its erotic imagery.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Not enough (or anything at all really) is being made of all the weird future tech Daniels had with him on ENT, or that ruined TARDIS-like time pod thing. Book's transforming ship and programmable matter are less interesting to me than a shuttle with secret dimensional compartments or Daniels' bracelet that let him walk through walls.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Once again this all could have been solved by not making the show a streaming exclusive just to try and inflate subscriber numbers for your lovely streaming service and just, I dunno, actually shown it on the real tv network that far more people have access to.

Like just imagine a Star Trek show that actually got average CBS viewership numbers in tyool 2021.

It would have been canceled almost immediately if it was on network TV, at least with All Access/ Paramount+ they can lie about the viewer count.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

CaptainSkinny posted:

We've all seen The Motion Picture and its erotic imagery.

haha what's this about?

i've seen some of one or two of the TOS movies before randomly on justiv.tv back in the day, but I think Trek sucks as movies as a rule so I tend to avoid and forget them and just have never been able to finish TOS the show, let alone get to the movies.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Khanstant posted:

I think Trek sucks as movies as a rule

Khan's wrath and a country (undiscovered) would like a word with you.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Once again this all could have been solved by not making the show a streaming exclusive just to try and inflate subscriber numbers for your lovely streaming service and just, I dunno, actually shown it on the real tv network that far more people have access to.

Like just imagine a Star Trek show that actually got average CBS viewership numbers in tyool 2021.

But then we couldn't have tits and "gently caress" so how would we know it's prestige television?

Think!

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Hipster_Doofus posted:

First Contact rules

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Delsaber posted:

Not enough (or anything at all really) is being made of all the weird future tech Daniels had with him on ENT, or that ruined TARDIS-like time pod thing. Book's transforming ship and programmable matter are less interesting to me than a shuttle with secret dimensional compartments or Daniels' bracelet that let him walk through walls.

That's because the future setting exists soley to free them from being a prequel/concurrent with the other series and for little other narrative or conceptual reason.

Except for lines here and there about getting the Federation back together there was no functional difference between this setting and that of any other Star Trek show in the last episode.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Khanstant posted:

haha what's this about?
They had to change some of the scripted dialogue because the cast were corpsing over lines about "penetrating the V'ger orifice".

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Wrath of Khan is so good it can be enjoyed by people who are not familiar with star trek.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

twistedmentat posted:

Wrath of Khan is so good it can be enjoyed by people who are not familiar with star trek.

Yeah the only other Trek movie like that is Galaxy Quest

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Except for lines here and there about getting the Federation back together there was no functional difference between this setting and that of any other Star Trek show in the last episode.

I kind of wish they had picked 5 or 10 years after the burn instead of 120 or whatever it is, when the event would be fresh in everyone's mind and Starfleet is in full freefall trying to piece together a working operation out of mothballed ships and the 5% of officers that were on shore leave that day

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Chairman posted:

I kind of wish they had picked 5 or 10 years after the burn instead of 120 or whatever it is, when the event would be fresh in everyone's mind and Starfleet is in full freefall trying to piece together a working operation out of mothballed ships and the 5% of officers that were on shore leave that day

:effort:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

wasn't it like 800 years? I thought they're in the 31st century now.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

CainFortea posted:

wasn't it like 800 years? I thought they're in the 31st century now.

That far in the future from Discovery's original setting, but 120ish years out from The Burn

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

There was a second time skip? lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
No. They only went into the future, they just went to a period where the Burn happened 120 years ago historically.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Khanstant posted:

No. They only went into the future, they just went to a period where the Burn happened 120 years ago historically.
Which... makes it all the more :wtc: that the remains of the Federation just sat around flapping like a beached fish for over a century, until being saved by :siren: MICHAEL BURNHAAAAMMMMM :siren: and her shitbox antique ship through the incredible lost deductive techniques of looking at stuff and asking questions.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Payndz posted:

Which... makes it all the more :wtc: that the remains of the Federation just sat around flapping like a beached fish for over a century, until being saved by :siren: MICHAEL BURNHAAAAMMMMM :siren: and her shitbox antique ship through the incredible lost deductive techniques of looking at stuff and asking questions.

Discovery had a method to travel anywhere and fuel. The Federation was barely holding on to whatever little territory they had left.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I have seen this and now must inflict in upon you lest I die in 7 days:

https://twitter.com/SpongeBob/status/1463525321437810693

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Technowolf posted:

Hello, next 20 avatars

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Technowolf posted:

Current mood: Squidway

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Technowolf posted:

Jankom and Rokk as Patrick work, the rest of them... :yikes:

At least Gwynn and Zero were spared from this horror.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Yeah the only other Trek movie like that is Galaxy Quest

Ehh, not getting the references is pretty detrimental, IMO.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Discovery had a method to travel anywhere and fuel. The Federation was barely holding on to whatever little territory they had left.

Hmm, have they ever said what the fuel is for the spore drive?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

nine-gear crow posted:

Jankom and Rokk as Patrick work, the rest of them... :yikes:

At least Gwynn and Zero were spared from this horror.

Zero having the exact same containment suit and just having their energy silhouette take the shape of whichever SpongeBob character would be pretty funny

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hipster_Doofus posted:

:shroom:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hipster_Doofus posted:

The spores seem to BE the fuel, they grow then then plug in canisters of them and take out empties

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Ehh, not getting the references is pretty detrimental, IMO.

Knowing the references helps, but the film sells the jokes well enough that they work anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Roadie posted:

Knowing the references helps, but the film sells the jokes well enough that they work anyway.

And even if you've watched ANY genre TV or just picked up tropes through cultural osmosis