Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

I mean, FemShep is best and canonical Sheppard.

Something that annoys me about the White Cloaks is their armor seems completely pointless and decorative. Why just armor one arm?

Perhaps they care more about appearances than effectiveness? It wouldn't be the first time a group of zealots focus on what things look like over what actually works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

twistedmentat posted:

Something that annoys me about the White Cloaks is their armor seems completely pointless and decorative. Why just armor one arm?

you got it, it's just rank insignia

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Because it’s called an army, not an armsy

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

shadow puppet of a posted:

Because it’s called an army, not an armsy

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

twistedmentat posted:

Because most swordsmen are right handed.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Jedit posted:

Because most swordsmen are right handed.

Isn't their armor on their left arm, the arm that would be facing away from their opponent if right-handed if the blade is held like in fencing. Most stances have you squaring off against the opponent though and both arms are chest are facing the opponent.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It's cause it looks like a rising sun.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The whitecloak arm things are just dumb as hell but w/e it's a show

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1451048554315714564?s=20

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Hire Josh Sawyer to play a whitecloack Jeff Bezos you coward.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Nitrousoxide posted:

Isn't their armor on their left arm, the arm that would be facing away from their opponent if right-handed if the blade is held like in fencing. Most stances have you squaring off against the opponent though and both arms are chest are facing the opponent.

I would assume the left arm is their defensive arm, while they mostly attack with the right (or switch it up for lefties), and that this not only give them some defensive option with armor on one side while making the whole lighter for mobility without needing a shield, but means that, symbolically, the light is protecting them since the sun shaped ornament is on that side. It's dumb, and it's impractical and it's completely for show; but that describes a whole army clothed in white while traipsing through the woods. It's all show, because they mostly rely on reputation and fear to work, and not actual force of arms. I would also not be surprised if the single arm armor and sun shaped protector is mostly a thing for officers and other ranked people, and to find out that they usually employ a force of people in more practical, but less showy armor to act as their infantry.

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 24, 2021

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Not based on book knowledge or anything but I've just assumed they're in non-combat gear mostly for tramping about and intimidating peasants and such, and that there'd be proper, heavier armor if they were preparing for a legitimate military engagement where they think they're at all threatened.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Are the immaculate hairstyles tactical as well?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I read the first 10 or so books 15/20 odd years ago, but I didn't even recall the Whitecloaks were a thing until I saw them in trailers so I can't say as I have any great memory left of them; especially aesthetically. So anything I say might as well be uninformed opinion for all the difference it makes.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The custome design IMO is somewhere in the middle similar to Netflix The Witcher.

A cut above the cheesiness for things likes 90s sword + sandals shows like Xena but not up to the gold standard set by shows like Game of Thrones / Lord of the Rings movies.

For budget comparison Game of Thrones was spending around to 6 million to 7 million per episode for earlier seasons but the final season ended being more expensive due to a big increase in SFX work.

etalian fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 24, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Eh, it seems to indicate the rank, and it looks much better than the infamous scrotum armor from The Witcher.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

Eh, it seems to indicate the rank, and it looks much better than the infamous scrotum armor from The Witcher.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

etalian posted:

The custome design IMO is somewhere in the middle similar to Netflix The Witcher.

A cut above the cheesiness for things likes 90s sword + sandals shows like Xena but not up to the gold standard set by shows like Game of Thrones / Lord of the Rings movies.

For budget comparison Game of Thrones was spending around to 6 million to 7 million per episode for earlier seasons but the final season ended being more expensive due to a big increase in SFX work.

a thing that people are going to have to get used to is that wheel of time intentionally has more bombastic outfits for a variety of factions and isn't mostly a bunch of people running around in grimy furs or whatever

like it might seem cheesy to some but it wouldn't be really accurate if they toned everything down

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Condolences to the people who think they can finish the 14+ book series after getting inspired by the show.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

etalian posted:

Condolences to the people who think they can finish the 14+ book series after getting inspired by the show.

It's an awesome series though? Good all the way through.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

etalian posted:

I mean the writer couldn't.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

adhuin posted:

I mean the writer couldn't.

yeah, because he got diagnosed with a terminal heart disease and died within a year's time in his 50's

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It’s a very Final Fantasy/anime decision but I kind of dig it.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

the eamon valda boss fight will be set to one pauldroned angel

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

etalian posted:

At the very worst the last three seasons will be picked up by The CW which will make the pace discontents happy that they get to spend 85% of the remaining run time in tight shots of Mat and his love interests.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

How are u posted:

Don't oversell Crossroads of Twilight

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

How are u posted:

I would not in general recommend them unless you are doing a survey of Notable Fantasy Series, of which it absolutely is one.

I was enthralled by it in high school and college, but the middle books just killed all my enthusiasm.

I'm not sad to have read (and, for the last books, listen to) it, but there's only so many hours in the day and so many better series imo. I'd probably suggest the audiobooks instead of physical ones if you are taking the dive.

With that said I'm kinda getting the bug, myself, so maybe I'm just a giant dummy :v:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Excellent worldbuilding and plotting, often atrocious dialogue. Gender dynamics courtesy of The Lockhorns. He likes to use the same phrase to describe stuff so you'll read the same sentences a bunch. I'm in book 5 right now and it does seem that he's reined in some of the worst stuff though (everyone has stopped saying Light! and Burn me! twice every sentence)

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

some people had compared the series to shannara. i watched an episode of that, and yeah, wot show has big shannara energy

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

theblackw0lf posted:

Eye of the World is number 14 on Amazon right now.

Also side note, WoT has sold 90 million copies.

Up to #5 now.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Even worse, they have a badass design in TW3, but instead of copying it, they did that...

readingatwork posted:

It’s a very Final Fantasy/anime decision but I kind of dig it.

Oh, you are right. In fact in one of the making off videos you could see briefly some concept art, and one of the images had lots of straps/belts and I actually thought of FF!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Can't wait to see how Amazon shoots the parts where several books go by with nothing happening to advance the plot.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

95% of the Children of the Light army just end up on laundry duty.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the casting's been pretty diverse so i wonder if they'll stick to that for shienar when we explore lan's backstory given how it's a japan stand-in

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

withak posted:

Can't wait to see how Amazon shoots the parts where several books go by with nothing happening to advance the plot.

Love this fresh take every time somebody plops it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Always interested in plopping.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I'm just glad more shows are doing the weekly episode format, more time for slap fights and book spoiler enjoyer time between each week.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

How are u posted:

Love this fresh take every time somebody plops it.

Right? Even the worst book advanced the plot, albeit slowly.

Does the POV cast get unwieldy in the middle? Yes. It's a problem and can make it feel like the story is spinning its wheels.

Are they as bad as the Totally Clever And Novel Criticism Crew makes out? Not remotely. Especially now that we're not waiting a year or two between releases.

Crossroads still sucks.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I'm not a book reader and was liking the show okay, but Thom Merrilin sure made things better. I hope he sticks around

Third episode was definitely my favorite of the three. first couple of eps kinda felt like some random Pretty Teens Netflix show I'd stumble across. still don't really feel like I know much about this world like who is actually the great power running poo poo (Children of Light?) but I'll keep watching.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah, really love what they've done with Thom. Interesting that they decided to not have the bright patchwork gleeman's cloak considering how big a part it is of his visual identity in the books. Thought it was really really really stupid that they added Perrin being married just so they could kill his wife off.

All I'll say about the Whitecloak costuming is that it's cool and good and makes a lot of sense what you understand what they're all about.

Overall I like how the show looks and sounds, and I'm interested to see more of what the actors do with it. Dialogue is okay, not a big fan of how they've done some plot points/changes.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Nov 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

It's got colorful patches on the inside!