Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.
War is a Force that Gives us Meaning is also drat good (imo), Hedges is impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

the highlight of lib brainworms is jon stewart cackling about Trump running for president against hillary then loving vanishing then only returning now that le cheeto is gone

Is his new show as unwatchable as I assume it must be?

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

tiberion02 posted:

I grew-up in Youngstown and live 'round Cleveland and do paid political work. poo poo is even more hosed than these posts suggest, somehow, both sociologically and politically. just makes me sad (also angry; also lmao)

Please talk more about it. Im south of Akron and would love to hear what its like up north.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

No-one knows

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Wait, you're telling me people don't care about whether the headline number politicians pulled out of their asses and are incessantly fighting about are bigger or smaller?? Whoa.

Something something Manchin cycle.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Nothus posted:

https://twitter.com/nmeyersohn/status/1463167461549879296

the democrats are going to get destroyed in 2022

incredible

capitalism cereal lines

i hope people panic and hoard cereal, it would be the greatest thing to imagine some rear end in a top hat hoarding trix in his garage, wall to wall and kids insists its for them and he tells them to gently caress off he's gonna mark em up just slightly under january prices and they can get them then

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

etalian posted:

Yeah, basically the back of organized labor / communist parties in Japan got broken many year ago by the government after they did too many direct actions.

It also helped that most of grass roots movements could be repressed during the cold war in the name of stopping communist takeover scares.

I remember when one of the first groups to claim responsibility for 9/11 was a Japanese revolutionary org. lol

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

shyduck posted:

I feel like I recall an interview with Matt & Trey where they were asked about Trump, and they had said they avoid him because he's the epitome of self-parody and hard to top

SNL tried it weekly and it was godawful

they ended up just making Mr Garrison their Trump expy. ironically it was one of the better parodies of him because of the similar personality.

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

Yadoppsi posted:

Please talk more about it. Im south of Akron and would love to hear what its like up north.

Ohio Democratic Party literally will not allow campaigns to send mail/canvassers/calls to go to non-Democrat voters... even in the suburban/rural counties where Dems make up well below 50% of the vote. You are basically barred from resources and good standing if you dare to try to persuade a borderline republican. Pretty huge problem in places like Summit/Stark/Lake where the Dem voteshare is collapsing. Also, Ohio dem candidates/campaigns are probably even more reliant on corporate money from rich donors in the big 4 (Cle, Cin, Col, Dayton) than the national party at large. Ask yourself why Ohio doesn't have any real union/leftist movement compared to places like Wisconsin, Michigan, West Virginia.

Ohio really does front run the nation, and all of America is headed to be more like Ravenna Ohio. Good loving luck

tiberion02 has issued a correction as of 15:42 on Nov 24, 2021

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

etalian posted:

Yeah, basically the back of organized labor / communist parties in Japan got broken many year ago by the government after they did too many direct actions.

It also helped that most of grass roots movements could be repressed during the cold war in the name of stopping communist takeover scares.

Nissan execs had to barricade themselves in their offices to avoid having the poo poo beaten out of them.

But, in general, a lot of the LDP's post-crash success can be attributed to apathy - they themselves even said this in 2012. Prior to that they really didn't have an ideology to speak of outside of like war crimes denial.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Noob Saibot posted:

This is silly. This nation has immigration laws and people should follow the rules to Immigrate here.

I know some people don’t want to hear that but then you need to work with your elected officials to get the laws changed.

If a law is stupid then it's your duty to break it every day

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

tiberion02 posted:

I grew-up in Youngstown and live 'round Cleveland and do paid political work. poo poo is even more hosed than these posts suggest, somehow, both sociologically and politically. just makes me sad (also angry; also lmao)

Ohio lost population since the pandemic started, nice one there.

But yah I drive by youngstown fairly often, and its a different world. looks bombed out really.

Most of the tiny farm communities here are truckin, small and niche, you can really know all the families if you are involved in anything. The same names on the farms are on the streets and the gravestones from the 1800s. Dems don't realize this and how really tied together the communities can be.

Hard to penetrate some people who watch lovely news all day, though.

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

Sylink posted:

Most of the tiny farm communities here are truckin, small and niche, you can really know all the families if you are involved in anything. The same names on the farms are on the streets and the gravestones from the 1800s. Dems don't realize this and how really tied together the communities can be.
exactly - and there was a time where democrats would come out of these families, and their support held some political gravity... not enough to sway all community opinion, but enough to give democrats a shot at some of the regional and statewide offices. the cultural divide is so massive now, they hate the libs even more than CSPAM does

it is kinda insane what the fracking dollars that pumped into these communities in the 2010s did, economically and socially. feels like living in an Adam Curtis documentary listening to school boards and parents talking about building new elementary schools on the back of *promised* pipeline money, that has not and will never actually come to fruition over the past 10 years, yet still believing that it'll happen and the new schools are on their way

it cant be unfucked

tiberion02 has issued a correction as of 17:32 on Nov 24, 2021

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1463531141265297410

Biden was simply unfit for the task at hand
And the party will never recover

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

i haven't seen it but the coverage i've seen is basically he's trying to do the new hot lib thing like john oliver by having some jokes but also making concerned faces about how bad things are but it's hard because he is still a lib centrist so it's "huh how did things ever get so bad who can say"

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

StratGoatCom posted:

Literally my entire life the Democrats have only cared about being marginally better than the Republicans rather than actually helping people and this is where it led them. The face of the party is a dying old man who is left holding the bag of a collapsing empire. It's all they will ultimately be remembered for. gently caress em.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

StratGoatCom posted:

I love how the US left and Bernie put their weight/credibility behind a guy who in hindsight would obviously be part of a failed "obama v2.0" administration.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

etalian posted:

I love how the US left and Bernie put their weight/credibility behind a guy who in hindsight would obviously be part of a failed "obama v2.0" administration.

Hindsight?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

tiberion02 posted:

Ohio Democratic Party literally will not allow campaigns to send mail/canvassers/calls to go to non-Democrat voters... even in the suburban/rural counties where Dems make up well below 50% of the vote. You are basically barred from resources and good standing if you dare to try to persuade a borderline republican. Pretty huge problem in places like Summit/Stark/Lake where the Dem voteshare is collapsing. Also, Ohio dem candidates/campaigns are probably even more reliant on corporate money from rich donors in the big 4 (Cle, Cin, Col, Dayton) than the national party at large. Ask yourself why Ohio doesn't have any real union/leftist movement compared to places like Wisconsin, Michigan, West Virginia.

Ohio really does front run the nation, and all of America is headed to be more like Ravenna Ohio. Good loving luck

there's a very specific reason for this. the AFL-CIO knows they can't handle another SB5 and the GOP knows it too. they cut a deal and as long as OH union money goes to the GOP, they won't try and pass right to work

cincinnati.com wrote about it but it's paywalled, but iirc labor's at the point of donating more to the GOP than the ohio dems lmao

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Business Gorillas posted:

there's a very specific reason for this. the AFL-CIO knows they can't handle another SB5 and the GOP knows it too. they cut a deal and as long as OH union money goes to the GOP, they won't try and pass right to work

cincinnati.com wrote about it but it's paywalled, but iirc labor's at the point of donating more to the GOP than the ohio dems lmao

sounds like the gop actually delivering something vs nada

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

tiberion02 posted:

exactly - and there was a time where democrats would come out of these families, and their support held some political gravity... not enough to sway all community opinion, but enough to give democrats a shot at some of the regional and statewide offices. the cultural divide is so massive now, they hate the libs even more than CSPAM does

it is kinda insane what the fracking dollars that pumped into these communities in the 2010s did, economically and socially. feels like living in an Adam Curtis documentary listening to school boards and parents talking about building new elementary schools on the back of *promised* pipeline money, that has not and will never actually come to fruition over the past 10 years, yet still believing that it'll happen and the new schools are on their way

it cant be unfucked

thanks for writing out these posts. half of my family is all from youngstown and it’s been pretty amazing watching their political alignment change over the decades. place used to be such a staunch union town with commies running around causing trouble all over. The Dems spent so many decades falsely promising to revive places like youngstown, now they don’t even bother visiting or making the promises. now it’s just a breeding ground for reaction. most of my extended family are living on disability and diehard MAGA folks who spend all day frothing with rage about immigration. the ones who haven’t fully surrendered to reaction just don’t vote

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Real hurthling! posted:

Delivered on their extortion, unlike the Dems.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

promises kept.
people like that

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

And they love our troops!

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Real hurthling! posted:

the deal's slowly getting chipped away as the psychos replace the GOP shitters that actually brokered the deal (or the old guard quietly gets out of politics due to Householder, the former GOP Speaker getting shut down by the FBI). there's some hold-outs, but generally, labor's been dead for years in Ohio, it just doesn't know it yet

edit:

QUEER FRASIER posted:

thanks for writing out these posts. half of my family is all from youngstown and it’s been pretty amazing watching their political alignment change over the decades. place used to be such a staunch union town with commies running around causing trouble all over. The Dems spent so many decades falsely promising to revive places like youngstown, now they don’t even bother visiting or making the promises. now it’s just a breeding ground for reaction. most of my extended family are living on disability and diehard MAGA folks who spend all day frothing with rage about immigration. the ones who haven’t fully surrendered to reaction just don’t vote

things may be changing after some Sherrod Brown apparatchik took over ODP after 2020 and gutted all the staff that also lost them 2018 & 2016, but the dems' state model is literally "pray that Columbus & Cleveland turns out". thing is, at least in Franklin County (the county Columbus is in), the county party tries to make sure as few people vote outside of the old white gays + black church network as possible

Business Gorillas has issued a correction as of 18:30 on Nov 24, 2021

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

things may be changing after some Sherrod Brown apparatchik took over ODP after 2020 and gutted all the staff that also lost them 2018 & 2016, but the dems' state model is literally "pray that Columbus & Cleveland turns out". thing is, at least in Franklin County (the county Columbus is in), the county party tries to make sure as few people vote outside of the old white gays + black church network as possible
Also true in Cuyahoga County - CCDP exists exclusively to turn out centrist white suburbanites & black church voters, and literally nothing else... hence Justin Bibb, lmao. ODP also has no interest in the county parties in the 10 other big counties (Stark/Summit/Lorain/etc)

Liz Walters (new ODP chair) is more connected to the Summit Co Dems than anything... she was literally the ODP Political then Executive Director from 2011 to 2015. How did that go? They are absolutely not trying to shift direction. Just 1 tiny example, the literal voter file manager for the ODP (an important job for saving a failing party) is just 4 years out of undergrad, and doesn't even live in Ohio... she still lives in Florida, where she served as the voter file manager for the FLORIDA DEMS IN 2020. Like, how'd that go for the Dems in Florida in 2020? lmfao

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

tiberion02 posted:

Just 1 tiny example, the literal voter file manager for the ODP (an important job for saving a failing party) is just 4 years out of undergrad, and doesn't even live in Ohio... she still lives in Florida, where she served as the voter file manager for the FLORIDA DEMS IN 2020. Like, how'd that go for the Dems in Florida in 2020? lmfao

It's like when cops who fail at their job or get caught doing crimes, just can apply and get a job in another county.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

StratGoatCom posted:

Biden looks terminal in the photo. He's in intense pain constantly.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

nothing will fundamentally change

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

Nonsense posted:

Biden looks terminal in the photo. He's in intense pain constantly.

Good.

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

yeah I spent most of my life in franklin county and it always left me wondering whether there’s any good polisci-ish research on the effects of voter suppression-lite in Dem Machine-controlled cities that lie within purple/reddish state.

Obviously in NYC or Chicago the democratic party can aim for 20% turnout to protect their incumbents against progressive challengers without endangering the state’s electoral college votes, but it always struck me as so bizarre to watch big city Ohio dems try to pull the balancing act of keeping everyone away from the polls for every election but the presidential ones, and then act suprised when they can’t get the turnout they want

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Party officials don't lose their job just because the party gets washed. Opposing powers are a much bigger danger to their bottom line.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

StratGoatCom posted:

Thank God.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

please mods close this thread, because 2022 is about saving democracy and by being a thread for sad doombrained losers to cheer on people not voting this thread is doing real material harm to minorities and the lbgtq community.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

tiberion02 posted:

Also true in Cuyahoga County - CCDP exists exclusively to turn out centrist white suburbanites & black church voters, and literally nothing else... hence Justin Bibb, lmao. ODP also has no interest in the county parties in the 10 other big counties (Stark/Summit/Lorain/etc)

I didnt know the specifics but that tracks with my experience. I'm in Stark and the 2 "cities" on either side of me had democrats running unopposed for all the city council positions but the second an electoral district gets bigger than a city ward its a Republican blowout.

Canton's response to BLM last year was really disappointing too. Dem mayor (Indy but just a Dem who wouldn't accept a primary loss) and a democratic supermajority in the city council but no policy changed. The organizers split into 2 groups really early in the movement too. One group was black organizers but led small protests of mostly young white kids in the city center and tried to directly lobby the mayor. The mayor just ignored them. The other group was focused on mobilizing the people in the poor ring around the city core into marches through their neighborhoods. The police came down HARD on these parades/marches the second the sun even thought about setting.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Trabisnikof posted:

please mods close this thread, because 2022 is about saving democracy and by being a thread for sad doombrained losers to cheer on people not voting this thread is doing real material harm to minorities and the lbgtq community.

not enough paragraphs, not smug enough, not in qcs

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

If a law is stupid then it's your duty to break it every day

Why is it stupid? Do you understand the economic and security ramifications if we just let everyone In

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

vyelkin posted:

it owns that literally everyone knows this and the dems respond by saying "oh well we can't do anything to fix democracy because of the filibuster, a made up undemocratic rule that we could change tomorrow if we wanted to - if you want anything to change, better get out and vote in undemocratic rigged elections!"

It's genuinely kind of spooky how "vote to fix the fact that our system is undemocratic" is a common talking point that most people think is reasonable and not completely insane and self-contradictory.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

the deportations defender has logged on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

LionYeti posted:

:toxx: The GOP is going to hold the house by atleast 10 seats and the Senate by atleast 3 in the 2022 elections :toxx:

Put my account on the line that the democrats are going to be destroyed.