Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

All through summer I'd been side-eyeing the Reface CS and thinking "eh, maybe sometime later though" and now it's backordered everywhere until March, what the gently caress

is that the dreaded chip shortages hitting the synth market or "just" delivery?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

McCoy Pauley posted:

DT/DN is an awesome combo -- I found Ivar Tryti's videos pretty helpful for wrapping my head around connecting them and using them together:

https://youtu.be/gq6oUVZ-1wQ

Need to get that combo working with the digital piano -- maybe this is the weekend to do that.

If you get the Zoia in the mix, I'd be interested to hear how that worked out. Seems like it would be possible to send MIDI with the DT to change parameters on the Zoia, which could let you do interesting stuff in patches while changing the sound of the DT and/or DN during a song. At least that's my operating theory as I watch these Zoia videos and try to tamp down the GAS.

Oh trust me, I'm familiar with Ivar :swoon:

Can't wait to be able to sample directly from the DN into the DT. Finding one-shot drum samples was cool, but I gotta step it up and make my own!

I'm def interested in sending CV to/from the Zoia. I can theoretically use it to change parameters on either of my Elektron units, and vice versa, so it should be fun. It'll be awhile before I have anything to show for it, but I'm also gonna see about putting my trumpet through the Zoia first.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Fruit Salt, secret unreleased Eno project from 1981

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Ok Comboomer posted:

Fruit Salt, secret unreleased Eno project from 1981

Music for abdominal discomfort

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ambient 2: Music for a run down 7/11

e: god drat it

petit choux posted:

Music for abdominal discomfort

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
Would it piss anyone off if I started a Eurorack thread?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

I dunno if there’s enough traffic for a eurorack only thread. Like samplers, I think it’s best just to keep it here.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

I love Eurorack but with how slow this thread moves, wouldn't a Eurorack focused thread move at a glacial pace?

My current setup:

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

^^ Nice Oscilligraphic Block!

Fair enough.

I've got 4HP left in my rack: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1727241

I was thinking about getting the Joran Fold 6, but do any of ya'll have any modules that size that are near and dear to you that you think would fill a gap in functionality well?

I've been sequencing from the deluge and have a Mastro and Planar in a control skiff.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

Fair enough.

I was thinking about getting the Joran Fold 6, but do any of ya'll have any modules that size that are near and dear to you that you think would fill a gap in functionality well?

I've been sequencing from the deluge and have a Mastro and Planar in a control skiff.

Of my 4 HP modules, the Doepfer quad LFO is probably my favorite. I'm not familiar with most of the modules on your rack, but it looks like you could use more modulation sources? The Doepfer also matches your color scheme of silver on the left and black on the right https://www.modulargrid.net/e/doepfer-a-145-4

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Haha, I don’t need to keep the colour scheme. Just thought it was cool to make a big domino.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I might have enough LFO with just friends and the maestro.

If you don’t know about this module, check it out!

https://acidraintechnology.com/products/maestro

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

Fair enough.

Dissstinnnggggg Mk4

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Eurorack is a gashole I refuse to let myself get into, no matter how badly I crave the noises that a data bender makes.

My attorney will be in touch regarding anyone tempting me to break this rule.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

xzzy posted:

Eurorack is a gashole I refuse to let myself get into, no matter how badly I crave the noises that a data bender makes.

I’ve been drooling over Eurorack for over 15 years. I turned 40 this year and realized I’ve only got so much time left on earth, so gently caress it!

It’s cheaper than a sports car or an affair! (Also helps that I don’t have kids)

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

I keep telling myself if I just get a Polybrute or the new big Hydrasynth, that'll be enough modulation to play with forever and I won't be interested in eurorack. I'm sure this'll work out.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

It’s not that bad, guys.

Just plan small and have a plan.

Don’t do what I did and change the plan to, “oh hey it might be fun to do that too”

The only thing I’m seeking now is the perfect sequencer. Pending the upcoming Deluge update, may switch over to the octatrack.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Octatrack is good for sequencing mono instruments but if you’re planning to use it to record piano performance midi it won’t work for that I think you only get 4 voices out of a midi track at a time. The new MMT8 might be good. Or just find a good condish qy70/100

To the OP wanting a reface cs, you shoulda bought it lol. But the range on it is pretty narrow ime and there’s no velocity like the reface Dx has. An sh-201 or micro korg or something might be a good alternative

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

i'm really glad i get to sit back and watch everybody else do eurorack, and maybe touch the poop just barely with vcv in the future.

what always makes me do a double take is when i look at a eurorack case that has a hinge and i'm like "wtf you couldn't close that with all those knobs and encoders!"

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Depends on the case and how crazy your patch is, but the lids usually function as intended.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ah crap, I found the (rather obvious) achilles heel of DAWless work. Adjusting each voice coming out of my samplers require .. dun dun dun .. more hardware. Right now I have 4 channels coming out of my 950 and I just maxed out my mixer so I guess I'd better hope I can do everything I want without additional mono channels. I've already cut the S3000 down to just its stereo out.

I mean I can also adjust loudness of each keygroup in the sampler but wow that's a lot of menu diving vs moving a slider :(

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Do you have a patch bay tho

I have a poo poo ton of connections but never record more than a few channels at a time when multi tracking. So a patch bay works well for cases like that because you can run all your stuff into the bay and then just repatch into the recording channels when you need a different instrument

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Martytoof posted:

Ah crap, I found the (rather obvious) achilles heel of DAWless work. Adjusting each voice coming out of my samplers require .. dun dun dun .. more hardware.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Ah crap, I found the (rather obvious) achilles heel of DAWless work. Adjusting each voice coming out of my samplers require .. dun dun dun .. more hardware. Right now I have 4 channels coming out of my 950 and I just maxed out my mixer so I guess I'd better hope I can do everything I want without additional mono channels. I've already cut the S3000 down to just its stereo out.

I mean I can also adjust loudness of each keygroup in the sampler but wow that's a lot of menu diving vs moving a slider :(

A MIRACLE posted:

Do you have a patch bay tho

I have a poo poo ton of connections but never record more than a few channels at a time when multi tracking. So a patch bay works well for cases like that because you can run all your stuff into the bay and then just repatch into the recording channels when you need a different instrument

Personally I didn't really love patchbays (important to hear everything at once rn, though I'm trying to not do this lol) so I went the submixer route. when I did this, old boss mixers were under 100 dollars but now people have "discovered" them so I'd probably say get the cheapest, smallest mackie you can. Its gonna add noise but not more than the samplers themselves and honestly mackie crunch/hiss is part of the 90s sound as much as Akai DACs.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

Depends on the case and how crazy your patch is, but the lids usually function as intended.

Secret here IME is using short wires especially for lunchbox type stuff

e: maestro looks sick as hell

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I’ve been drooling over Eurorack for over 15 years. I turned 40 this year and realized I’ve only got so much time left on earth, so gently caress it!

It’s cheaper than a sports car or an affair! (Also helps that I don’t have kids)

As someone who has a Mother-32 and a DFAM and is also poly and recently bought a non-running 1984 Pontiac Fiero:

You can have it all, friend.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Nice :chanpop:

If I could completely restart my racks from scratch today I would probably end up with many of these modules.

Love the SSF and Joranalogue stuff.

e: 4hp left you say? Replace v-cv by v-mutes

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 24, 2021

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Chainclaw posted:

I love Eurorack but with how slow this thread moves, wouldn't a Eurorack focused thread move at a glacial pace?

My current setup:

I never know what any of this is/does but I sure love looking at it and hearing it.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

OK Eurorack goons - anybody using an outboard multifx box? I've been eyeing that H9 to be a general end-of-signal device but the Microcosm box looks very playable.

4HP? Get an Ochd.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Nice :chanpop:

If I could completely restart my racks from scratch today I would probably end up with many of these modules.

Love the SSF and Joranalogue stuff.

e: 4hp left you say? Replace v-cv by v-mutes

Oh poo poo. Good thinking. Then I can drop the Joran switch and get the new stereo module they put out.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1727241

magiccarpet posted:

OK Eurorack goons - anybody using an outboard multifx box? I've been eyeing that H9 to be a general end-of-signal device but the Microcosm box looks very playable.

4HP? Get an Ochd.

Euroburo.

Beaucoup Cuckoo fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 24, 2021

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

magiccarpet posted:

4HP? Get an Ochd.

I really like these https://rmlfx.com/archives/1479 for all sorts of things including getting my Euro to play with inst-level effects.

So yeah, guitar pedals, rack effects, sky is really the limit.

H9 is dope (I splurged on a Space years ago and no regrets) but it does a lot of things well that you can do cheaper in seperate packages. Which like if you just want 1 thing its great but if you wanna distort then modulate that distortion then distort again, 2 muff clones and a Boss flanger is less than half the price.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I 100% didn’t even consider a patch bay and now I have a 48p in my basket. One of my big annoyances is digging around for cables behind my gear so this should fix that. I monitor all output from my 12 channel Yamaha mixer so my only worry was running out of channels but this is perfect. It’ll even allow me to patch the fx send/return where I want, or to send any of my stuff to any sampler which is pretty heckin’ awesome and I’m disappointed I didn’t think of it before.

Just going to have to stock up on really short patch cords now to keep the clutter short.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I 100% didn’t even consider a patch bay and now I have a 48p in my basket. One of my big annoyances is digging around for cables behind my gear so this should fix that. I monitor all output from my 12 channel Yamaha mixer so my only worry was running out of channels but this is perfect. It’ll even allow me to patch the fx send/return where I want, or to send any of my stuff to any sampler which is pretty heckin’ awesome and I’m disappointed I didn’t think of it before.

Just going to have to stock up on really short patch cords now to keep the clutter short.

It’s worth it to get one with switchable thru/normal/half normal. There’s gonna be channels you want thru like fx loops and channels you want half normal like the input tracks

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Just did up my patch bay earlier this year. I use 1/8 to 1/4 into the bay, and then its hardwired via a snake to my mixer. Its so much faster to get into something.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I just ordered one of these to supplement my Minibrute 2. Helped that it was cheap on Reverb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yKg8TaXkOI

Long term, getting the whole set would be functionally worse than a similarly-priced euro system, and way less convenient, too. I figure a one-off is worth it.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I often think that modular synthesis is the "smoking crack" or "owning a horse" of potentially expensive nerd hobbies... I've deliberately avoided it, but those ports on the Minibrute 2 that are made for the Rackbrute still taunt me.

I did get Softube Modular and some modules, though... how does this compare to the real thing? I bought Modular like 3 years ago, but only recently got a computer that can actually run it properly. I have little idea how any of it works, but I can make it go "Beeeeeeeeep" in various ways.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Matt Zerella posted:

I never know what any of this is/does but I sure love looking at it and hearing it.

it does this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCtIlA3x7oc

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

im_sorry posted:

I often think that modular synthesis is the "smoking crack" or "owning a horse" of potentially expensive nerd hobbies...

If you buy used, your modules will basically never lose value and they're pretty easy to flip. I think I have a a few that have gone up significantly in value over the years. Last I checked Reverb my Modcan Quad LFO was worth double what I purchased it for.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

A MIRACLE posted:

It’s worth it to get one with switchable thru/normal/half normal. There’s gonna be channels you want thru like fx loops and channels you want half normal like the input tracks

I have nooooo idea what this means so I think I'd better read before I hit the buy button :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

A MIRACLE posted:

This feller is a great buy. All the switches are in front, no soldering required, and every pair is switchable.

edit: Here's the differences between types.

rickiep00h fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 24, 2021