Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

axolotl farmer posted:

NG+ just is just kicking my rear end. Every enemy is a damage sponge, and there as rear end in a top hat red phantom enemies all over the place. :negative:

I know right? It's great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

axolotl farmer posted:

NG+ just is just kicking my rear end. Every enemy is a damage sponge, and there as rear end in a top hat red phantom enemies all over the place. :negative:

Players: Dark Souls 1 NG+ doesn't change anything, it just makes everyone tankier!

Fromsoft: :aloom:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Demons Souls NG+ is still where it’s at. That gauntlet with all the souls you get from beating the game until you clear 1-1 and unlock the Maiden again is gut wrenching

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Jesus christ this ultra greatsword mechanic where you always aim towards the last direction you moved your character towards is going to be the death of me. Oh okay let me make some fine adjustments past a doorway while locked on as a swarm of manikins sprint at me. Alright, let's turn my body 90 degrees to aim at absolutely nothing when I swing my R1.

Also you know what's the worse thing about this game? There's a lag betweel pressing L1 and blocking. Meaning it's now impossible to do the classic L1 waggle.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
I love DSII dearly and the greatsword aiming is one of the only things I find actually bad

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

loopsheloop posted:

I love DSII dearly and the greatsword aiming is one of the only things I find actually bad

Same

tbf tho, some people really love the flexibility it gives you, especially in PvP; you can really catch people off-guard if you master it. As for me, I simply don't use the things, except maybe powerstanced.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Like it would be tolerable of the Greatsword's 2h R1 vertical swing had a wider hitbox, like that of say Ludwig Holy Blade transformed L2, or DS3 Vertical Ultras.

Maybe I should give regular non-ultra-greatswords a try. Like how are things like Claymore at strength scaling and arcing swings? My character us at 50 STR 15 DEX.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Greatswords are excellent cookie cutter weapons in DS2, and there's a huge variety. I haven't tried the basic Claymore myself because there's so many funner options - you can get pretty much everything in Greatsword flavor, from super high dex scaling to strength-focused*, with magic, lightning, fire (or all at once), bleed...only native poison is missing. You can have special fun movesets (Mirrah, Majestic) or the standard "R1 sweeps, R2 smashes/stabs" combinations.

*for your specific case, Mastodon Greatsword's probably the way to go

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Unpopular opinion: DS2 just has way too many goddamn greatswords.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I like that there are two categories for greatswords: semi-practical and anime huge

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Washin Tong posted:

Unpopular opinion: DS2 just has way too many goddamn greatswords.

Well, of course, since any self-respecting player will wield one in each hand.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Rubellavator posted:

I like that there are two categories for greatswords: semi-practical and anime huge

I'm not even counting the ultra greatswords, just the regular ones. DS2 has 23.

You have 42 Big Swords™ in total if you also count the anime huge and curvy big swords.

73 if you count the smaller big swords and the tiny pocket sneaky big swords. That's a lot o' slashing, smashing, swirling, spinning and stabbing.

Washin Tong fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 21, 2021

Orv
May 4, 2011
Well you need Big Swords to kill the Big Guys in Armor.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Maybe dark souls two would have been better if they cut the lame big dudes in armor and gave us big dudes in swords

Orv
May 4, 2011

Control Volume posted:

Maybe dark souls two would have been better if they cut the lame big dudes in armor and gave us big dudes in swords

I'm afraid it's already the best Souls and giving it big dudes in swords would invalidate the rest of the games entirely.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

if you like guys with swords then do i have a dusty tower for you

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

all swords should be replaced with whips

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Dark Souls II animations remind of DS1 poopwalking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qG0FgSLxjY

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Time for Guts

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Going through Heide’s in NG+, and it’s brutal. Figured, if they hit like a truck, you hit like a tank.

So now I’m powerstancing a claymore and a zweihander. :getin:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

axolotl farmer posted:

Going through Heide’s in NG+, and it’s brutal. Figured, if they hit like a truck, you hit like a tank.

So now I’m powerstancing a claymore and a zweihander. :getin:

My congratulations for embracing the True Path. I wouldn't say that powerstancing is the be-all and end-all of this game since it's a massive stamina drain, but there's very little in the entire series that is as satisfying as crashing a powerstanced UGS or Great Hammers L2 onto a foe. :worship:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Any tips on how to defeat the Squallid Queen? Doing pretty good with a Magic Ice Rapier when I don't die to stupid things.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Any tips on how to defeat the Squallid Queen? Doing pretty good with a Magic Ice Rapier when I don't die to stupid things.
I recommend not dying to stupid things

realtalk: if you keep one of the skeletons around, she won't summon more. Keep the camera unlocked and always be aware of where everybody in the room is. Don't take risks; patience will see you through.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I believe it's one of the fights where one of the NPC phantoms you're given actually makes it harder, because they don't do enough damage to make up for the additional health she gets.

I used a lot of midrange stuff when fighting her, since she's got a lot of close range punishments while her ranged attacks are pretty easy to dodge IMO. So I'd equip a bunch of Rouge Waters and then chug them while hucking pyromancies at her.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Buff your dark resistance and be aggressive. Her long-ranged attacks (hexes) are generally worse than her short-ranged attacks (halberd) due to how much they can zone you.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Yeah I summoned for Elana and it was probably worse, I still managed to kill her first try with hit and runs.

Sinh was also first try even with 2 NPC summons. But his moveset isn't anywhere near as nasty as Midir's.

The Cave of the Dead gank was almost impossible with NPC summons, I had to split them up and golf-swing the archer. Also don't heal with the mob nearby because the Havel will backstab you.

Fume knight took like 3 tries, no summons, but he's extremely fun, almost like beta version of Gael.

Blue Smelter demon took like 3 tries but the iron passage run is an absolute nightmare. At least the upper passage can be speedrun with a Gyrm's Greatshield, so long as you don't get bodyblocked by the gank.

I'm now up to Alonne. The 2 NPC summons seemed useful but I'll repeat without any, I want to learn his moveset.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Everyone agrees the co-op sections of the DLC are bullshit and not worth it. They were included specifically to give non-DLC owners a way to get DLC-exclusive items, as the weird soapstone statues allow you to get summoned for the Cave of the Dead/Iron Passage/Frigid Outskirts without having the requisite key.

I was frankly shocked to find that Seeker of Fire actually made those areas part of the critical path, but they also toned the difficulty way way down, because the way they're designed in the base game you're basically 'supposed' to have two player phantoms with you for all of them.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Djeser posted:

Everyone agrees the co-op sections of the DLC are bullshit and not worth it.

They absolutely are bullshit, but it feels great to take them off the checklist at least once. Plus Blue Smelter provides the soul for the matching UGS, and powerstancing it with its sibling is brilliant, particularly as an alternate weapon set. Invade, parry with something else, then quick swap to the pair and hit that L2 for a colourful surprise. Also on the way to Lud and Zallen, you can find the Mirrah Hat and Ring of the Living.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I have no idea what any of those are despite having like 1000 hours in this game :buddy:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

FishMcCool posted:

They absolutely are bullshit, but it feels great to take them off the checklist at least once. Plus Blue Smelter provides the soul for the matching UGS, and powerstancing it with its sibling is brilliant, particularly as an alternate weapon set. Invade, parry with something else, then quick swap to the pair and hit that L2 for a colourful surprise. Also on the way to Lud and Zallen, you can find the Mirrah Hat and Ring of the Living.

Also the Loyce Greatsword from L&Z is a fantastic weapon.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Where can I find the Ice Rapier?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Bust Rodd posted:

Where can I find the Ice Rapier?

The basic soldiers in Eleum Loyce. Just sit at the first bonfire (outer wall or whatever) and farm the first few guys until you get it

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
https://twitter.com/Stayd3D/status/1463955034475937793

Orv
May 4, 2011
Stupid rear end in a top hat now played by Tom Selleck.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I always wanted to do more with the Majula NPCs.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Well at least now a mustache ride is in the cards

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Orv posted:

Stupid rear end in a top hat now played by Tom Selleck.

Wow why the hate on mr map?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

DS2 has the best weirdo npcs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Finished Seeker of Fire yesterday. A bit more polished than Augur of Darkness, though in spots a little less ambitious too--this felt more like what the Dark Souls 1 people wanted from the game, and that's both a good thing and a bad thing. It's more like a "remaster" of Scholar's while Augur of Darkness felt more like just seeing what you could do with the engine. Seeker of Fire makes the Heide's boss the Throne Watcher a scaled-up NPC wearing Throne Watcher armor(?) but calls it the "Priestess of Blue" or something and puts it in the big central rotunda where you normally fight the trio of stone knights; Augur of Darkness fills the area with the homing magic ladies from Amana and adds a bunch of extra ruins to run around on along with a loving platforming puzzle.

While I had beef with some of the changes in both of them i still think they were both interesting takes on how to reconfigure DS2. In some ways they actually made me appreciate the base game more. I hate fighting the Royal Rat Authority and I hate fighting the Shulva gank squad, so what if we did the gank squad but instead of a Havel cosplayer it's the Royal Rat Authority and you're also in ankle deep water so you can't run good? But while I found a bunch of spots frustrating at the same time, i have to hand it to them--I enjoyed both and played them through to the end, although I did have to start relying on the built-in cheat items for Seeker of Fire, because they really pump some of the bosses' params.

8/10 pretty good on both of them, makes me want to do my own Dark Souls 2 mod.

Djeser fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Nov 29, 2021