Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Diephoon posted:

It just felt really egregious in the lava spider boss fight. Cutscene for the boss, ok. Cutscene for a transformation...another cutscene transformation. Kill the boss, leave the area, here's a cutscene of you climbing out of the pit, go back to camp. OK if you want to fast travel that's another loading screen. Thanks for coming back to camp, time to leave camp and go somewhere else, here's a loading screen.

The loading screens and cutscenes for blowing away 2 foot tall rock walls was so bad it was funny for a while before becoming just plainly bad and annoying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

They said the loading screens have something to do with co-op, how if one person goes to another area it has to stop the game to move everyone in the team to the next area at the same time and show the transition to everyone, even if it's one person playing. Unfortunately it's not like Destiny where everyone in the same fireteam can be in different instances in a game world and transition between them seamlessly

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It's just gears dev's still doing gears design :v:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Loading screens never really bugged me but I could tell that it could bug some.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

dogstile posted:

It's just gears dev's still doing gears design :v:

pcf did gears stuff? had no idea

though my first impression was gears meets hellgate london so i guess it makes sense. they even have the dumb oversized guns

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Just Judgement, the red headed step child.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Tabletops posted:

pcf did gears stuff? had no idea

though my first impression was gears meets hellgate london so i guess it makes sense. they even have the dumb oversized guns

that... comparison makes a lot of sense, and I like both Gears and Hellgate London as well as this weird rear end game. :thunk:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I too have a broken brain that enjoyed Hellgate

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Hellgate london was the best $10 bucks spent on a video game, got to play it an entire month before the servers shut down and then it was unplayable.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Hellgate london was the best $10 bucks spent on a video game, got to play it an entire month before the servers shut down and then it was unplayable.

I paid full price for it and honestly I don’t really regret it.

I’m not sure any other game really has quite the same feel as it did.

Diablo with guns is an awesome idea but other games just seem to fall flat with it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

MarcusSA posted:

Diablo with guns is an awesome idea but other games just seem to fall flat with it.

This is exactly what I thought. I had alot of fun but then the game died, I had no idea it was on it's last legs.

I tried hellgate korea, but it had been like 5 years and the time of the had passed its prime. And well they made all the graphics models anime-lite and that lost alot of the charm also.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 20, 2021

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I love Hellgate London. drat what a fun game.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I had just moved to my girlfriends rural farmhouse when it came out and she only had satellite internet so I never got to experience the multiplayer aspects or even redeem my black and yellow cosmetics because none of that poo poo worked in offline :(

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Surprised there was never any private servers for it.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Tabletops posted:

Surprised there was never any private servers for it.

I wanted to say there were, up until Hellgate Korea came about as a thing. After a quick google looks like there's still stuff happening ( https://london2038.com/ ) but to be honest, despite my enjoyment of it and hundreds of hours at the time, it's ugly ( I hated that if you didn't play it online you'd just get the low detail settings regardless ), it's janky and it's aged very poorly. There were quite a few fan patches that fix some things but I gotta be honest and say it's better off dead.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Good to get t15 viable non-gun builds for other classes now. I think I stopped trying to do this raekor build since the damage wasn't quite there, but now that timers are gone its perfectly fine.

Shame that the itemization for the set is stupid, you get a 1 second cooldown skill and all the set pieces have firepower

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
All the new expeditions have a hidden thing in them for a transmog, the nomad city one is a pretty cool encounter

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Jusupov posted:

All the new expeditions have a hidden thing in them for a transmog, the nomad city one is a pretty cool encounter

:aaa: I will have to up my exploration of the levels then. I was looking through the transmog menu and was wondering where some of the hats, like the Tanner's Hat and Lucky Ushanka legendarys, came from.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Reinstalled last night because I was bored. It promptly redownloaded the entire game, then when I tried to play it crashed. Apparently they handed out a bunch of legendaries for free over the year but I never got poo poo. That may be due to me having the (still unfixed!) preorder inbox of doom.

Not having the timer is definitely cool, but it's still kinda the same deal. Use enhanced bullets to shoot things with a tech until you have enough legendary drops to maybe use a different class. Apparently the hot thing is to get a new character carried through a CT15 for a shitload of resources then buying/refreshing the legendary vendor to buy them all. No friends who play this, so meh.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
This is dumb, but kind of a fun dumb. I think I needed a fun dumb game lately, teleporting behind people and beaning them with a shotgun is fun :unsmith:

Just wish I could change all of the keybinds, having all the "Hey you got a collectible! You got an accolade! Hey look at this!" prompt being permabound to G is annoying.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Mailer posted:

Apparently they handed out a bunch of legendaries for free over the year but I never got poo poo.

You needed to log in for most of them.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I started a new game as a pyromancer after a friend of mine who I used to play Diablo 3 with picked this up and we've been having a blast. I think the endgame stuff really still isn't anything to get super excited about but leveling a new character is good fun, especially with a friend. It's definitely just moving from one waist high cover laden combat zone to another but they let you have fun with the abilities and it never gets old torching lines of dudes running at me.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The game is absolutely fine until end game, as with pretty much most loot-em-shoot-em's :v:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My brother and I bought this game back in September, we each like these kinds of games and cross-play made this a no brainer. My Technomancer has full Plague Sowers and my Trickster is using the Boom Town world record build. We’ve been playing a ton since New Horizons, and it seems that there’s a ton of new and returning players. Since the update I’ve finished every Trickster set and I’m working on my Frost build for Techno, and leveling up a Devestator so I can be a chonky rock wizard.

I really like this game and play on PS5 almost every day if anyone wants a buddy or just a hard carry for free loot.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Jesus, got kicked on the last stage of a an expedition, tried to get back in but oh no! God forbid we give a grace period for rejoining or anything. Nope, you're just hosed!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The only downside of New Horizons is that server stability is completely borked. I’ve been playing daily for months and have had more DC’s and host connection issues in the last two weeks than I did all summer.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Bust Rodd posted:

The only downside of New Horizons is that server stability is completely borked. I’ve been playing daily for months and have had more DC’s and host connection issues in the last two weeks than I did all summer.

Wow, gamers are so entitled lol. You can't just expect everything to work eight months after release.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Idk what's going on when you launch this game in DirectX 12, but it really pushes my CPU for whatever reason until I get to the character screen and things calm down. Barely any CPU use when I launch using DirectX 11 (to be clear, this is all before any gameplay).

I've only given it a few minutes each, but so far it seems like DX11 might run a bit better on my system.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Rinkles posted:

Idk what's going on when you launch this game in DirectX 12, but it really pushes my CPU for whatever reason until I get to the character screen and things calm down. Barely any CPU use when I launch using DirectX 11 (to be clear, this is all before any gameplay).

I've only given it a few minutes each, but so far it seems like DX11 might run a bit better on my system.

DX12 is explicitly designed to best use every core on modern systems, so that appears to be working as intended to me. DX11 doesn't scale with core count much as all by comparison. If your ingame fps is worse then that's a different thing, but heavy CPU use under dx12 is the goal.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I see they still haven't completely fixed the devastator's Leap targeting bug. But also, I forgot how fun this game is.

Gwaihir posted:

DX12 is explicitly designed to best use every core on modern systems, so that appears to be working as intended to me. DX11 doesn't scale with core count much as all by comparison. If your ingame fps is worse then that's a different thing, but heavy CPU use under dx12 is the goal.

That wasn't in game. That was during the intro/log in. During gameplay I have pretty modest CPU usage.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
That kinda thing tends to happen at log in screen though I think, they often render at like 600 fps since they're so simple and end up working stuff much harder than the game itself does.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Just saying that it doesn't happen with DX11. And I actually think menus are fps locked to 60. GPU usage is low during the startup.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
games are stupid, what can I say

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
You can delete the intro movie file (or rename it) to never see it again.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I had a legendary sniper and hat in my inventory. I'm guessing as one of PCF's apologies? I only played the demo before this.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
They patched in a “Skip Intro Movie” button, but the frame during which they add the button chugs on PS5, so they’ve effectively ruined the intro movie by adding the skip button, lmao

Really meaningful Upgrades for my characters last night. My brother and I each added Dark Sacrifice to our Technomancers for huge DPS increase and I discovered I was wasting two whole mod slots on my Trickster with redundant DPS mods, so now I’m just focusing on Ammo management and my damage is way better now.

Gonna be leveling my Devastator today.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

That spider thing was a pretty good looking boss fight.

Also, reflect bullets seems really strong, at least this early on

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Its ridiculously good against the human enemies. In the beast area's you'll want to swap it out for impale or smth.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I never find any use for those abilities in high level play. Maybe the meta has shifted away from perfect Supah Speed DPS but you still don’t want to focus your build around enemies that only appear in about half of the game’s content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Like I always say, if you can't survive with literally every enemy shooting at you, you won't survive when you're in the jaws of a behemoth either.