Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Forgotten

lovely

This isn't the PS5 2021 games lineup??!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Still working through Forgotten City but I cracked the story open last night and this poo poo is COOL. After a ho-hum start I'm now fully engrossed. At this rate it's gonna end up as my favorite time loop game, asterisk I haven't finished Outer Wilds.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

acksplode posted:

Still working through Forgotten City but I cracked the story open last night and this poo poo is COOL. After a ho-hum start I'm now fully engrossed. At this rate it's gonna end up as my favorite time loop game, asterisk I haven't finished Outer Wilds.

love to hear it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

acksplode posted:

finish outer wilds

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I know I know, I'm a big wimp who can't handle either outer space or a water planet. Whole entire game is like exposure therapy for my longstanding fear of water levels. Something about being adrift in a void where I feel vulnerable from every angle just terrifies me. Same reason I had to put down Subnautica. But I know it's a stellar game from what I saw of it and word of mouth, I'll pick it back up at some point. It's been over a year since I last touched it so I'm kinda waiting to forget what I've played and make a fresh start.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

acksplode posted:

I know I know, I'm a big wimp who can't handle either outer space or a water planet. Whole entire game is like exposure therapy for my longstanding fear of water levels. Something about being adrift in a void where I feel vulnerable from every angle just terrifies me. Same reason I had to put down Subnautica. But I know it's a stellar game from what I saw of it and word of mouth, I'll pick it back up at some point. It's been over a year since I last touched it so I'm kinda waiting to forget what I've played and make a fresh start.

This is 100% me as well. To the letter.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

acksplode posted:

:same:

I made my ex do any of the submarine missions in GTA V. Even though I knew the only underwater enemies were sharks (and I don't think they can hurt you while you're in the sub), I was so on edge the whole time that it wasn't enjoyable for me at all.

Not sure if this would work for everyone, but that little indie game Beyond Blue helped me a lot. You're just a lady in scuba gear swimming around in various ocean environments, and stuff (whales, sharks, fish, etc) does swim right up to you. However, nothing chases or attacks you (there's no health system or game overs), so it helped me "stick my toe in" (:haw:) to water levels in video games.

I hope to be brave enough to try Subnautica now!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The bit at the start of Half Life 2 where you get accidentally teleported into the water and the ichthyosaur attacks is genuinely the scariest thing I’ve ever experienced in a game.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Try Abzu! It’s an underwater flow-state game without any combat, and you can beat it in one long sitting if you’re into it

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The bit at the start of Half Life 2 where you get accidentally teleported into the water and the ichthyosaur attacks is genuinely the scariest thing I’ve ever experienced in a game.

I just looked this up (I have not played HL2...yes, yes, I know) and even though you described exactly what happens, I still lurched backwards in my chair and now have a knot in my stomach, haha. I couldn't even imagine seeing that for the first time with no warning back in 2004! :stonk:

Bust Rodd posted:

Try Abzu! It’s an underwater flow-state game without any combat, and you can beat it in one long sitting if you’re into it

:yeah: I found it less nerve-wracking than Beyond Blue (possibly due to the more-cartoony graphics?), so I would go Abzu --> Beyond Blue --> "the deep end".

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Read After Burning posted:

I couldn't even imagine seeing that for the first time with no warning back in 2004! :stonk:

I was 12 years old and legit nearly had a heart attack

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

That's such a great little scare. For me it's second only to the bits in HL1 where you actually have to deal with one of those things. I kept anxiously waiting for it to appear for real in HL2.

Another water level moment that's seared into my brain forever is from Soul Reaver, anxiously swimming through the claustrophobic water tower near the human city and discovering that vampires live in there :gonk: :gonk: :gonk:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Pinnacle Rock (both sections) in Majora's Mask still unsettles the gently caress out of me.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Not long after they removed PT from people's libraries, I tried downloading it again. Now, every time I get to the home screen after booting the system, I get a notification that it can't download PT.

When I go to my library, the game isn't present. I can search for it, and it appears in the search results, but the details page just says "Check back soon!" and the download bar has an X over it. The three dots menu is disabled so I can't delete it or cancel the download.

Does anyone have any ideas how to stop it from trying to download with each boot?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Arist posted:

Apparently one of the things 12 Minutes lets you do is stab your wife to death for no reason which is just... why???????

it's an interactive video game. why are we clutching pearls here, you can do hosed up vile poo poo in most games to game over. most players test boundaries to see what games let you do since games are not real.

who among us didnt drop the baby penguin into the abyss

or lock the butler inside of the meat freezer?

cowards, that's who.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

beep by grandpa posted:

i why are we clutching pearls here,

they’re worth about 5 septims each

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Weird response

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
never bothered by the Ichthyosaurus attack in half life but the one teenage mutant ninja turtles level with the underwater bombs and the tomb raider 2 level where you start underwater being chased by sharks are 2 stand out videogame moments i had to get my dad to help with :D

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

it's an interactive video game. why are we clutching pearls here, you can do hosed up vile poo poo in most games to game over. most players test boundaries to see what games let you do since games are not real.

who among us didnt drop the baby penguin into the abyss

or lock the butler inside of the meat freezer?

cowards, that's who.

Man like 90% of discussion of video games is "I want to punch a mean guy because it hurt a digital character's feelings"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
UT99 has a level that takes place on a sailing ship out on the ocean and if you fall off it you get to see your corpse falling forever into the endless blue-green abyss

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Man like 90% of discussion of video games is "I want to punch a mean guy because it hurt a digital character's feelings"
that's generally the discussion of playthrough #1 of a game, if you catch my drift

Arist posted:

Weird response

coward.

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 25, 2021

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There's no authored content locked behind dropping the penguin in Mario 64 off a cliff. The game neither wants nor expects you to do that, and so it's not even acknowledged.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I threw the wife's dessert away

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

12 Minutes sounds bad lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
when you see it you turn 0° 12' 0'' and walk away

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Arist posted:

There's no authored content locked behind dropping the penguin in Mario 64 off a cliff. The game neither wants nor expects you to do that, and so it's not even acknowledged.

You imply a failstate mean the game "wants" you to do it? you're reading so much into this. many, many other games account for an experimenting player- some of it meant to amuse you, some of it meant to shock you.

there's a unique voiceclip for if you kill a kid in MGSV. there is a game titled "don't poo poo your pants" and if u type "poo poo" guess what happens

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Snake! Those desserts were for both you! Snake?! Snaaake!!!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Inspector Hound posted:

Snake! Those desserts were for both you! Snake?! Snaaake!!!

2B whatever you do DON'T eat this loving fish that says it will kill you

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

beep by grandpa posted:

You imply a failstate mean the game "wants" you to do it? you're reading so much into this. many, many other games account for an experimenting player- some of it meant to amuse you, some of it meant to shock you.

there's a unique voiceclip for if you kill a kid in MGSV. there is a game titled "don't poo poo your pants" and if u type "poo poo" guess what happens

Whatever man, I guess I just don't think brutally murdering your wife with zero diegetic reasoning is a cool, fun way to push boundaries in a video game. Putting that in the game at all means they want someone to see it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

the player character was the monster all along

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Arist posted:

Putting that in the game at all means they want someone to see it.
Correct, you got it!

they are accounting for player experimentation, and the player will be subject to a gruesome violent scene that will shock them for trying it. I watched the clip and it is not even remotely possible to do it by accident, nor is it presented comically or lightheartedly

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

beep by grandpa posted:

Correct, you got it!

they are accounting for player experimentation, and the player will be subject to a gruesome violent scene that will shock them for trying it. I watched the clip and it is not even remotely possible to do it by accident, nor is it presented comically or lightheartedly

The entire point is that "player experimentation" is completely loving alien to any kind of decision that the player character would ever make for any reason, and by letting the player experiment in that way they accidentally validate that as a legitimate action the player character will perform (because it's a time loop game and doesn't actually have failstates). This isn't MGS3 where they're joking about not letting you kill Ocelot with the Time Paradox game over, the game keeps going after that!

I don't care that it's not a joke, I care that it sucks.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I feel douchey quoting myself, but like I said in a previous post:

Read After Burning posted:

Yeah, this was the thing that made me ask. I've played plenty of games with weird themes or unpleasant tones (horror visual novels, mostly) or certain "art" games like Town of Light, but what made me pause is the fact that abuse your wife over and over and over is the only "correct" way forward, with no real commentary or subversion of that.

"But it's okay, because you learn she's a REALLY BAD PERSON" is not a clever commentary or subversion of this, in my opinion.

It's not that "stab your wife" is one of the options the game offers you...it's that it's one of the options in a game where "abuse your wife over and over" is apparently the only "correct" way forward, with it later being justified by "by the way, she's a horrible person".

To word it another way, if stab your wife was one of the many options in a game where the correct path forward consists of, say, convince a cop to help you out and defend against the intruder or something, it wouldn't strike me as upsetting as it is. Sorry if I'm wording this horribly, I'm kinda high!

At this point, I may watch a playthrough of the game, as I'm feeling kinda incensed about its content without really experiencing said content for myself.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

*yawn*

when do i get to kill my digital wife?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
*standing over wife with bloody knife* don't worry officer it's a time loop thing. stop freaking out it's a time loop

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Arist posted:

I don't care that it's not a joke, I care that it sucks.

then perhaps consider not clicking on the knife and then clicking repeatedly on your wife imo. dunno what else to tell ya bud. other than getting this worked up over video game violence isn't lucrative anymore ever since patriot and american hero jack thompson got disbarred by those satan-worshipping commies in florida and allowed games like this one to be released :rip:

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

when do i get to kill my digital wife?

speedrunners hate her 😭

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

beep by grandpa posted:

speedrunners hate her 😭

doll was def a yoko

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lol gently caress off, I'm not saying this as part of some moral crusade against violent video games, I'm complaining about a thing that shows the people who made that game have no idea what the gently caress they're doing, especially in regards to tone.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's like if Bill Murray went on a violent killing spree in Groundhog Day and then after a reset the rest of the movie was exactly the same and he was still the hero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

for kicks geller recently did a video on this subject that y'all might like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZrEayPIrVE