Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

“Under control” that poo poo is gonna burn till it’s all gone, all they can do is keep it from spreading. Gotta wonder how many equivalent barrels of oil that is.

Oh and every farm down wind for 50 miles now comes with free extra micro plastics in their produce!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

carrionman posted:

Used to do this for a living. Pretty satisfying but the heavy metal poisoning from constantly being exposed to powdered metal from the paint and rusty surfaces even with the pressurized suit is very osha

I had a summer job in college bead blasting the inside of milk tank cars for trains. Hot Wisconsin summer, wearing a hoodie taped down over the respirator, gloves taped to the hoodie and my pant cuffs taped to my boots, squeezing between anti-slosh baffles while dragging my airlines. That loving sucked.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Asking a lot of that poor little bumper thingy that apparently just disintegrates.

:rip:
:patriot:

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 25, 2021

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Uthor posted:

But where does the gas go?

that's a common feature of buttplugs

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Jabor posted:

why would the brits build a factory out of plastic anyway

To go with the plastic rec center, of course.

https://www.vivianshaw.net/miscellany/2018/6/7/setting-the-architectural-world-alight-plastic-pleasure-domes-and-pointed-fingers posted:

Eyewitness accounts agree that the fire spread incredibly rapidly–“as if the place had been doused with petrol,” “like a bomb,” “worse than the Blitz,” “within ten seconds the whole place was on fire,” “like wildfire,” “the building went up like paper and was wrecked in no time at all.” There was no warning, no fire alarm bell was sounded, and no official call was made to evacuate the building other than a terrified compere’s shout over a microphone. People on the Marquee Showbar level and above had few escape routes from the building, all of which rapidly became jammed with struggling people. And the Oroglas–far from softening and dropping harmlessly out of its frames–was burning. Molten blobs of burning plastic rained on the screaming people struggling to get out, spreading fire across the Solarium floor.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

nomad2020 posted:

That story is a real gift that keeps on giving. The walls that weren't made of super flamable plastic were made of "Color Galbestos":

quote:

“The Color Galbestos used at Summerland consisted of a zinc coated steel core, which was “covered with asbestos felt saturated with bitumen and then faced with a polyester resin coating”

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Weembles posted:

That story is a real gift that keeps on giving. The walls that weren't made of super flamable plastic were made of "Color Galbestos":

"I say, Reginald, what should we coat this fireproof asbestos in?"

"Petrol."

"Are you sure, old boy? I mean-"

"Fiiiine. Bitumen."

"But isn't that just-"

"Bit. U. MEN."

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I feel like the fire resistant properties of asbestos would be somewhat neutralised by saturating them with bitumen.

e:fb

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

At a rental I'm staying at this week-

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

I recently did a report on phase change material insulation for buildings. It's a really neat concept, people have been looking at it since the 70s, but it's never really gotten to mass appeal and I was curious why. Then I realized what the phase change material people are talking about is: paraffin wax. You basically put bags of wax inside the walls of your building, and the melting or freezing of the wax insulates the building. Does it work? Yes! Is it extremely flammable? Also yes! Throw all the fire-suppressant nano-particles in there you want, insurance companies are still going to balk at it.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

FogHelmut posted:

What are you so worried about, steel is stronger than wood anyway.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

I spent too long trying to figure out what was wrong with the chair. Then my eyes drifted around the rest of the picture.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Weembles posted:

As far as I can tell someone decided to create the building using only the most inflammable materials available.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

The Lone Badger posted:

As far as I can tell someone decided to create the building using only the most inflammable materials available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8mD2hsxrhQ

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

The architects and management should all have hanged for that

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Is this sand/dirt or just the nastiest colored water?

Talk about opening the blood gates, it even goes from red to brown at the end.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Karia posted:

I recently did a report on phase change material insulation for buildings. It's a really neat concept, people have been looking at it since the 70s, but it's never really gotten to mass appeal and I was curious why. Then I realized what the phase change material people are talking about is: paraffin wax. You basically put bags of wax inside the walls of your building, and the melting or freezing of the wax insulates the building. Does it work? Yes! Is it extremely flammable? Also yes! Throw all the fire-suppressant nano-particles in there you want, insurance companies are still going to balk at it.

The UK are already cladding buildings in thermite, hard to imagine paraffin being worse.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

sigher posted:

Is this sand/dirt or just the nastiest colored water?

Looks like a flash flood in a desert so probably a lot of both.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Flash flood in the desert. Usually the mixture is like 20% water and 80% rocks/dirt/sand/unlucky plants growing in the wash/garbage blown in from the desert. It's basically like a sand blaster and on a sufficiently far enough away and down-hill enough wash, you get that kind of speeds. It's pretty obvious whoever is in charge doesn't know what they are doing or is mind-boggling stupid. They should never have even gotten into the wash when they saw the trickle that dude is lifting people over, and by the speeds at which they are moving, they don't realize the absolute mortal peril they are in until they see it rolling downhill at them.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

nomad2020 posted:

“as if the place had been doused with petrol,"

I mean...

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

nomad2020 posted:

The materials it was made out of it were super flammable hyper-cancer and oh, of course the emergency exits were locked to keep those teenagers who burned the place down from sneaking in.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/Hn1TD02.gifv

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

You see that? I totally saved that!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/mRdRV4w.mp4

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

:3:

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
hell yeah

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

That made me smile, which is a nice change for this thread.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/CcRXaRx.gifv

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Ended better than I expected

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFoqqqGJXGM

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

My takeaway here is that a low center of gravity is very important to skateboarding. New product idea: osmium-weighted shoes, marketed towards skaters. You may not be able to lift your feet, but they'll stay on the board no matter what.

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight

FogHelmut posted:

The mountain in the background, looks like that is in Sedona.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/lDIkNEa.mp4

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Karia posted:

There are nonflammabe materials, like salt hydrates. I looked into them recently, but they’re just so expensive that they only make sense with really specific construction and environmental conditions.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

At least the second guy ended up surviving

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Sammus posted:

That made me smile, which is a nice change for this thread.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

FogHelmut posted:

Im sure this doesn’t have one, but I think if you drilled a 3/4” hole 6” down the center of each of those and jammed a 1/2” x 12” steel nipple in between it would be pretty safe.

Welp back to diy…

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

You should always be careful where you jam your nipples.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

FogHelmut posted:

if you're heavy enough to break this please tell us later so we can laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

What's the OSHA in this one?