Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Omens launches tomorrow on Aradune/Rizlona. GoD was really good, and I'm sad to see it go. My guild did a test raid of Anguish and it didn't seem as fun as Tacvi to me as a healer. Damage on tanks seemed really mild (boring), and all the spell slow debuffs plus 10 second PBAE stuns were just unfun as poo poo. Having to rely on people to click a thing is also going to be a nightmare from the look of it.

Tacvi has some horrible fights (balance and the add splitting one) but on the whole it was fast and fun. I think I am going to focus more on my monk box during omens since melee dps is going to explode in power. I can really see how the game becomes 100% melee quest in this era, with how powerful the 2.0 weapons and clicks are and how badly Anguish dumps on casters with resists and lovely debuffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

anguish was the catalyst that made me stop raiding forever but iirc those clicky masks are a trap, only loot them on the people who can be trusted to click them and the debuff should only ever target those people if I remember correctly

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

On our test raid we only had a handful of them and were still having the gaze target people who didn't have one (they said they didn't anyway). Plus many failed clicks on people who did have a mask. It was not confidence inspiring at all.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

that doesn't sound good at all, sucks I misremembered because that could have been huge

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Convince your raid to just have everyone click their mask everytime OMM does the emote. The cooldown is short enough.

Like, just have someone call it out in Discord or whatever.

I don't think you can funnel the cast onto "a few" people with masks, at least you couldn't on Mangler.

Missed clicks will absolutely wreck tanks, at least through DoDH or so, but you can get lucky with riposte discs sometimes. And, the fight just gets shorter as the number of 2.0s in your raid goes up.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i just vaguely remember clicks being funneled when the masks used to be no rent because the devs didn't expect you to corpse them, not surprised the devs changed it to be shittier

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

suuma posted:

Convince your raid to just have everyone click their mask everytime OMM does the emote. The cooldown is short enough.

This is incorrect. The cooldown is much longer than the frequency of the emotes. IIRC he emotes about every 90 seconds and the masks are something like 3:30 cooldown.

quote:

Like, just have someone call it out in Discord or whatever.

Having *one* person call that the emote went out and *one* person say “clicked” is your best bet. Don’t have a dozen people call the emote such that any reply is drowned out or delayed.

Also using a GINA or EQ Sound Trigger for each player is highly recommended. I.e. - make it a requirement.

quote:

I don't think you can funnel the cast onto "a few" people with masks, at least you couldn't on Mangler.

There are plenty of masks from entrance to OMM that a raid should have no problem getting masks to everyone, or nearly everyone in the raid.

quote:

Missed clicks will absolutely wreck tanks, at least through DoDH or so, but you can get lucky with riposte discs sometimes. And, the fight just gets shorter as the number of 2.0s in your raid goes up.

Furious, dragon skin glyph, /shield + BDA on offtank, LoH, etc. all work in era. Use a Paladin with DA hammer to tank the rampages.

We used these in the first weeks of OoW on Mangler more than once to salvage missed clicks.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

koreban posted:

This is incorrect. The cooldown is much longer than the frequency of the emotes. IIRC he emotes about every 90 seconds and the masks are something like 3:30 cooldown

:ohdear:

I swear this worked for us, but I could definitely be wrong. Alla says the recast on Mirrored Mask is 80 seconds, though.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
I’m going off of memory and looking at the cooldown on the button of my UI that I mapped to the mask slot, so my numbers could be wrong, but I’m certain that you can’t have everyone click each time OMM emotes and not have the second emote fail.

That’s why everyone runs Gina trigger packages that always have a hundred triggers for the gaze. You can’t have the entire raid click. It’s a personal responsibility thing, and luckily the emote line that follows a few seconds later says exactly who he was looking at, so you’ll know who failed the click.

(In our case it was the same two people for
The entire run of OoW/DoN/DoDh until we stopped doing Anguish. - every week. Same guys.)

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

koreban posted:

The entire run of OoW/DoN/DoDh until we stopped doing Anguish. - every week. Same guys.)

They should not be allowed to join if they can't do a simple task.
Let me guess, it was an officer, or an officer's BF/GF/little brother/special snowflake.

My old guild had a 10 year old girl in it that could click the god drat mask.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
Something like that. We were aggressively 3 splitting anguish in era. We needed people and our tanks were good about having fingers on the furious disc during the fights.

After a while it became a bit of a meme. And honestly, we were better off for it because we responded to oh-poo poo situations better going forward. A wipe wasn’t a wipe because the tank went down, we fought for a recovery and used tools that other guilds ignored (/shield) to pull out some pretty spectacular close calls.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

koreban posted:

Something like that. We were aggressively 3 splitting anguish in era. We needed people and our tanks were good about having fingers on the furious disc during the fights.

After a while it became a bit of a meme. And honestly, we were better off for it because we responded to oh-poo poo situations better going forward. A wipe wasn’t a wipe because the tank went down, we fought for a recovery and used tools that other guilds ignored (/shield) to pull out some pretty spectacular close calls.

To be honest I loved those fights because things could get really fun really fast if someone derped.
We did wipe a few times early when there was a missed mask, but once we got geared and a bit more used to the mechanics we usually recovered if it only happened once.

The high point of that era on Selo's for me was tanking (and surviving) Archmage on my SK. I wish I liked OOW as much the first time around when it initially came out way back in the day.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

you can technically just ignore them, our guild on mangler regularly missed every single one and only wiped once or twice to OMM. have a good organised tank team with a known order and the swap if the tank goes down is easy.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
OMM is the start of actual personal responsibility in raid mechanics, though. While it's nice to be able to ignore it and power through, we always used it as the original "people sure need to pay attention if we are going to make it past DODH" test.

I guess my point is that it's a good idea to get people in to that mindset.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
That’s why I suggested exactly one person call the emote, and one call “clicked”. It’s the start of that coordinated responsibility sharing that future raids call for.

That said, omens is so far beyond solved at this point that if your tank has been through it at least once, the chances that they know how to handle a missed click are pretty high, and tanking through an enrage is fairly trivial.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

just burn hard enough to ignore all the mechanics

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I reinstalled this game after playing from launch to just before the plane of knowledge was released. I've made some toons on the Vox server and really enjoyed my time back in the game - soloing with my little merc lady, getting to know the game again, doing quests, farming a bit in my favorite old zones (crushbone, unrest, lguk) and discovering the amazing defiant poo poo that drops randomly. However, the server seems to be relatively sparse in population and the characters seem to all be very high level so I assume it's been around a long while.

The thought of a bunch of new characters plus randomized loot on the 2 new progression servers is very appealing, but I'm worried people are just in a flat out sprinting through content, and without the PoK to get around and no merc to solo with, I am just curious what are these new servers like if someone were to roll on them now in November? Are there actual groups of people grouping up and doing dungeon stuff? Is the xp as fast as the Vox server? I want to continue my trip down memory lane and maybe group up with some people from time to time but prefer not to have the frustration of travel times, corpse runs, etc. Is one of the new random loot servers best or is there something in between Vox and "brand new with no PoK or mercs" where there is still a good number of people playing at levels 1-80?

Thanks and see you all back in Norrath

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Syrinxx posted:

I reinstalled this game after playing from launch to just before the plane of knowledge was released. I've made some toons on the Vox server and really enjoyed my time back in the game - soloing with my little merc lady, getting to know the game again, doing quests, farming a bit in my favorite old zones (crushbone, unrest, lguk) and discovering the amazing defiant poo poo that drops randomly. However, the server seems to be relatively sparse in population and the characters seem to all be very high level so I assume it's been around a long while.

The thought of a bunch of new characters plus randomized loot on the 2 new progression servers is very appealing, but I'm worried people are just in a flat out sprinting through content, and without the PoK to get around and no merc to solo with, I am just curious what are these new servers like? Are there actual groups of people grouping up and doing dungeon stuff? Is the xp as fast as the Vox server? I want to continue my trip down memory lane and maybe group up with some people from time to time but prefer not to have the frustration of travel times, corpse runs, etc. Is one of the new random loot servers best or is there something in between Vox and "brand new with no PoK or mercs" where there is still a good number of people playing at levels 1-80?

Thanks and see you all back in Norrath

Only Mischief has randomized loot I'm 99% sure, we're currently in Luclin but PoP is going to drop on 12/8, here's the schedule: https://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/EQ:Progression_Servers_Mischief

People are somewhat sprinting through content, platinum is in a weird place (currently 1krono is worth roughly 90K, which is... I think double other TLPs, someone else would have to confirm). Gear is also "cheap" unless it's top end raid gear, so relatively easy to get at least some starter gear going, especially if you have no qualms about spending $10 on your hobby to get a krono, then trade the krono for plat.

AFAIK no other servers are really going to have a low level pop, especially non-TLP servers.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Mischief is where you need to go for low level pick up groups. The xp is significantly slower than Vox but still way faster than original EQ. There are no corpse runs on any server so don't worry about that.

The server has been out for 6ish months so usually what that means is pick up grouping is leaner, sticks to one path of zones and usually involves high level PLing in some way. The tradeable loot ruleset also means the leveling population will be twinked beyond belief. Not a bad thing but it's very different from how people remember EQ leveling.

If you want to just chill and play casually PoP opening is a good time for it. You'll have fast travel and high level buffs like Temperance easily available.

You can work around the lack of mercs by boxing but if you hate boxing than definitely don't. It's a hassle on truebox and requires a second subscription.

Expect new TLP servers in March. I wouldn't be surprised to see a mischief 2.0 launched then. The first month of a server is basically as close to EQ leveling memories that the TLP experience gets.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea the opening of a new TLP is the closest you will ever get to re-living that sweet sweet original
EQ nostalgia.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
As someone who hopped on Mischief at launch as my first TLP I can vouch for it being a blast and a huge nostalgia trip.

Mischief is a lot of fun right now. All the raid loot being tradeable makes some crazy stuff possible at low levels. Lots of gear like the Skyshrine Druid bracelets have no level req and can be clicked at level 1.

This is probably the best time to twink a new character too. Mid-Luclin means demand for all the Velious stuff is low, supply is still high, and most of the good Luclin stuff requires level 50+. Lots of people upgrading from their Velious stuff and selling the old gear too.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Those drones of doom clickies being usable at level 1 is hilarious. You could just chain murder reds for 30 levels at the cost of 0 mana.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Solarin posted:

Those drones of doom clickies being usable at level 1 is hilarious. You could just chain murder reds for 30 levels at the cost of 0 mana.

I made somewhere in the ballpark of 80 krono selling them in Velious. They’re hilariously busted. There were no unsatisfied customers.

The Cleric clicky group heal pants are pretty absurd at level 1 too considering they’re ridiculously good at 60.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Solarin posted:

Mischief is where you need to go for low level pick up groups. The xp is significantly slower than Vox but still way faster than original EQ. There are no corpse runs on any server so don't worry about that.

The server has been out for 6ish months so usually what that means is pick up grouping is leaner, sticks to one path of zones and usually involves high level PLing in some way. The tradeable loot ruleset also means the leveling population will be twinked beyond belief. Not a bad thing but it's very different from how people remember EQ leveling.

If you want to just chill and play casually PoP opening is a good time for it. You'll have fast travel and high level buffs like Temperance easily available.

You can work around the lack of mercs by boxing but if you hate boxing than definitely don't. It's a hassle on truebox and requires a second subscription.

Expect new TLP servers in March. I wouldn't be surprised to see a mischief 2.0 launched then. The first month of a server is basically as close to EQ leveling memories that the TLP experience gets.

Thanks for this really helpful stuff! I will try out a healing type on Mischief, figure they'll always be in need. I spent all my previous life as a monk pulling for groups so it'll be nice to sit on my rear end in them now. Any tips on which zones to try and head to to find groups as a shaman? I was thinking Blackburrow > Befallen > Unrest > sola/uguk

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Syrinxx posted:

Thanks for this really helpful stuff! I will try out a healing type on Mischief, figure they'll always be in need. I spent all my previous life as a monk pulling for groups so it'll be nice to sit on my rear end in them now. Any tips on which zones to try and head to to find groups as a shaman? I was thinking Blackburrow > Befallen > Unrest > sola/uguk

If luclin is in full swing, you'll find more people in paludal than in befallen/unrest.

Shamans are great, really bring together any group. They're also great at pulling.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Yeah I feel like Paludal's is where the group game actually begins at this point. I don't know where you'd reasonably find pick up groups before then. What I usually suggest is asking for high level DS/regen/HP buffs in Nexus and self power level into the 10-15 range and then find groups in Paludal's. I can't remember the popular path beyond that. I remember Grimling Forest being busy for the late 30s and Velks is stupidly good from like 40-60.

Shaman is a good choice as you'll always be able to make some amount of progress solo and they are the perfect class for forming your own groups. They also benefit a lot from gear so you can take good advantage of the tradeable raid loot. If you get a fungi, some cheap high AC/HP armor and a decent weapon you will be self sufficient for a long time.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
So uh… we’re north of 140k per Krono on Mischief.

Five weeks ago when Luclin launched they were around 30k. You can check the price on 10/13 on AraduneAuctions still.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

So what could you get for 140k?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

DisgracelandUSA posted:

like 1 piece of lovely current era raid loot or maybe 2-3 pieces of older okish loot.

The price is nice because it's made it really easy to do tradeskills on one of my characters for the upcoming tradeskill quests.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

DisgracelandUSA posted:

1/13th of a Ring of Immobilization
1/3rd of a Wrapped Visage of the Rivervale Deputy
3-4 Emp keys four weeks before PoP

You could buy a pair of Lord Bergurgle’s Crowns for Cleric epics. The only listing at the moment is a crazy guy but as of yesterday you could get two pre-nerf Fungus Covered Great Staff for 140k. Or seven Guise of the Deceiver if you want I guess.

Luclin raid drops are mostly floating between two to ten krono. At the rate we’re going many PoP raid drops will be over the 2mil bazaar cap. On the upside it makes tradeskills, Tink bags and mounts cheap.

If you could find enough supply at the typical rates you could buy 300+ Primal Velium War Lances.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

BGrifter posted:

1/13th of a Ring of Immobilization
1/3rd of a Wrapped Visage of the Rivervale Deputy
3-4 Emp keys four weeks before PoP

You could buy a pair of Lord Bergurgle’s Crowns for Cleric epics. The only listing at the moment is a crazy guy but as of yesterday you could get two pre-nerf Fungus Covered Great Staff for 140k. Or seven Guise of the Deceiver if you want I guess.

Luclin raid drops are mostly floating between two to ten krono. At the rate we’re going many PoP raid drops will be over the 2mil bazaar cap. On the upside it makes tradeskills, Tink bags and mounts cheap.

If you could find enough supply at the typical rates you could buy 300+ Primal Velium War Lances.

oh poo poo I forgot about tink bags, gotta go load up on those.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

MF_James posted:

oh poo poo I forgot about tink bags, gotta go load up on those.

Every time the price of Krono spikes I keep telling myself I’ll outfit all my alts with Tink Bags. 25 Tink Bags per Krono is good, but I think we can do better given another week or two.

RIP Haversacks. You were never worth crafting.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

We've got just over 3 weeks until Seeds of Destruction unlocks on Mangler, the usual places I'd research like Rasper's and Alla seem incomplete on Seeds progression and raid information, any of you guys know how this expansion works?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Fanelien posted:

We've got just over 3 weeks until Seeds of Destruction unlocks on Mangler, the usual places I'd research like Rasper's and Alla seem incomplete on Seeds progression and raid information, any of you guys know how this expansion works?

It's been a while, but rasper's page on progression is a good enough overview. Progression is quest and faction based, with the first 4 themes being listed in difficulty order, and the last theme being locked behind those first 4. The raids in each theme unlock as you do progression, and there's a hardmode for raids that caps players at 36 and gives some more rewards. Each theme has a nice reward for completing every quest in it, this is tracked by giving you a unique item from each quest, that you combine in small groups to make a sub-item, then you combine those sub-items into the big reward item. You will have tons of these non-stacking shards filling your bags, good luck dealing with all that.

If you have one of the free heroic characters on live, you could go check out the expansion, since HCs are at the upper end of SoD's level range with better gear than SoD offers.

Fanra has a copy of rasper's old guide for SoD, which is probably what you want. https://everquest.fanra.info/raspers/guides/SoD/OG_Progression.html

Completing a portion of the Rathe theme and Mardunk's Last stand opens up Journeyman 5 mercs. J5 is a huge upgrade, so expect tons of people to be doing those quests asap, and selling TAs to that mission. You don't need to unlock the lower tier mercs first, on live we used to power alts through those tasks in an afternoon and ignore the rest of the expansion. Before the later HC quest to unlock J5s came out anyways.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

jetz0r posted:

It's been a while, but rasper's page on progression is a good enough overview. Progression is quest and faction based, with the first 4 themes being listed in difficulty order, and the last theme being locked behind those first 4. The raids in each theme unlock as you do progression, and there's a hardmode for raids that caps players at 36 and gives some more rewards. Each theme has a nice reward for completing every quest in it, this is tracked by giving you a unique item from each quest, that you combine in small groups to make a sub-item, then you combine those sub-items into the big reward item. You will have tons of these non-stacking shards filling your bags, good luck dealing with all that.

If you have one of the free heroic characters on live, you could go check out the expansion, since HCs are at the upper end of SoD's level range with better gear than SoD offers.

Fanra has a copy of rasper's old guide for SoD, which is probably what you want. https://everquest.fanra.info/raspers/guides/SoD/OG_Progression.html

Completing a portion of the Rathe theme and Mardunk's Last stand opens up Journeyman 5 mercs. J5 is a huge upgrade, so expect tons of people to be doing those quests asap, and selling TAs to that mission. You don't need to unlock the lower tier mercs first, on live we used to power alts through those tasks in an afternoon and ignore the rest of the expansion. Before the later HC quest to unlock J5s came out anyways.

Found a text based checklist in there, absolutely perfect. Now to make a spreadsheet with links and everything to make life easy for everyone. Cheers.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

The two random loot servers have been down a lot this week, I guess the patch broke something

e: 4th emergency maintenance in 3 days lmbo

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 20, 2021

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Six days later Krono is up to 160k+ and rising fast on Mischief. Multiple buyers above 160k, a handful of sellers at 165k+. Should easily clear 200k per before PoP.

Fortunately I’m sure nothing will be valued at 10kr or more in PoP.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

BGrifter posted:

Six days later Krono is up to 160k+ and rising fast on Mischief. Multiple buyers above 160k, a handful of sellers at 165k+. Should easily clear 200k per before PoP.

Fortunately I’m sure nothing will be valued at 10kr or more in PoP.

Time’s antithesis was going for two million plat last week of GoD on aradune I wouldn’t be surprised if those see loopy valuations, curious to see either way.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I typed a bunch of words about how I didn't understand these krono purchases until i looked up what times antitheis was and said "Oh, clickable slow"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Some MQ2 raid botters are going to make their mortgage payments from a single plane of time run early on. There's at least 20 items that will sell very easily for 50+ krono, and probably even higher in the first week. Plus basically any P4-5 drop that isn't cloth should be 10-30 krono each for a couple months.