Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

just upload your consciousness, explode the car on one side of the river, 3d print a new one on the other side and insert yourself into the usb port on the other side

Just the first step and the final two to work out now, Elon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Just fax yourself.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

fuctifino posted:

Just fax yourself.

Just put your rear end right on the fax machine to start the process

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

sebzilla posted:

Just build a big ramp and jump the river
Do you accompany the jump with the (problematic) Dukes of Hazzard horn or the (ridiculous) James Bond slide whistle?

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Jippa posted:

Have you guys heard of "tattle"?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/nov/24/people-nasty-as-hell-on-there-battle-close-tattle-most-hate-filled-corner-web

I'm pretty online but I knew nothing about it. I suppose I never really use instagram or whatever. Even so, I thought it was odd it had just completely missed me.

My wife watches a few YouTube influencer things as a guilty pleasure so I’ve looked at that site out of morbid fascination once or twice. It’s definitely loving brutally mean, so the doxxing and harassment doesn’t surprise me. Thing is though, there’s also a lot of incisive critique of these media forms (YouTube/Instagram/influencer culture) on there too, from people clearly disillusioned by how damaging its consumption can be. A more even handed article might note the damage these influencers can have on their ‘fans’ (without condoning how horrific the retaliation can end up being ofc)

I find the whole thing quite fascinating really. Also weirdly refreshing to see the forum as a form making a bit of a comeback among people fatigued by social media..? It’s insanely active for a forum in 2021.

Answers Me fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 24, 2021

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

In our case they wanted to put a bridge across the river but the boats needed to get past, so they built an extremely tall bridge like 150ft up, and then attached a gondola to it that wheels back and forth suspended from the top of the bridge.

It is technically sensible in the sense that it allows a lot of boat traffic past but it does not function very well as a bridge, because it is basically the elon musk car tunnel lift of bridges.

It probably worked a lot better when it wasn't carrying cars to be honest, but in terms of carrying cars it can carry about ten of them every few minutes across the river.

I always saw the transporter bridge as more of a tourist attraction thing you do for fun than something you do to try and get somewhere. Do people actually use it functionally? Even if not, I like it and I hope it lasts a while. All the more so since the loss of the Dorman Long tower and the planned destruction of the beam mill. The Dorman Long destruction footage genuinely made me pretty sad. Really felt like Tory colonialism (not to devalue the phrase, obviously being hyperbolic) encroaching on Teesside and callously destroying a beloved monument.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I didn't watch it get blown up but I do miss seeing it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
What's with the pointy finger, Suck Eeth?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Answers Me posted:

I find the whole thing quite fascinating really. Also weirdly refreshing to see the forum as a form making a bit of a comeback among people fatigued by social media..? It’s insanely active for a forum in 2021.

I was mostly interested in why the Guardian was going after it: I assumed it had been making fun of some senior journalist on there, or at least one of their wannabe 'influencer' friends.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Just put your rear end right on the fax machine to start the process

Idiot.

You photocopy your arse first, then fax that

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

I was thinking more of same-sex and trans relationships being able to make large adult gamete to form babby, not Bezos eating Uighur kidneys.

That's not what parthenogenesis means! :argh:

But to answer the question, we're able to force mouse cells to become sperms, which could probably be extended to humans. Eggs needs some more infrastructure so they aren'tpossible yet, but we're starting to manage crap mini organs in vivo so those are probably a decade or two away. Still need a uterus for the foreseeable future though, but you can always get a surrogate.

It's going to make ivf look cheap though, so it's still going to be millionaires flaunting an Instagram family unobtainable to anyone else.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Jippa posted:

Have you guys heard of "tattle"?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/nov/24/people-nasty-as-hell-on-there-battle-close-tattle-most-hate-filled-corner-web

I'm pretty online but I knew nothing about it. I suppose I never really use instagram or whatever. Even so, I thought it was odd it had just completely missed me.

Thanks I love mean spirited gossip about influencer families, so this is my jam.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
People are insane over parking. I once kept a hatchet by my front door because a neighbourly dispute that was half-parking, half-noise escalated to involve multiple households and resulted in physical assaults. I live in a street where people have work vans and it's understandable that they want to keep their vehicles where they can see them. We can complain about reliance on cars, but I live in an area where every other resident is an Uber driver, a Hermes driver, a care assistant visiting people in their homes, a window cleaner etc. There's not enough space but telling people not to rely on their vehicles is essentially telling them to get a better job and stop being a poor.

I chose to live where I do because I don't have a car and it's on a bus route, but my employer is jumping on the 'green' bandwaggon and discouraging staff from driving into work. Of course this means charging for parking, instead of subsidising public transport or looking at flexible working patterns. We only got permission to work from home because of Covid, and that's gradually being eroded. If management insists people are in the office 20 minutes after school drop-off times, then yes, people are going to drive. It's not just about developers, workplaces need to take a long hard look at what they can do too.

Slightly related point: a labourer I hired to do some garden work got kicked off a bus because he had a spade. We had to wait until he had access to a car so he could drive himself and his spade to my house.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
perhaps.. ha.. he should have thought twice before calling a spade a spade. haha

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/councillorpaul_/status/1463619466529488911

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

annoyingly theres a 5 pound minimum

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Baaaahahahahahahaha.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Heart warming

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Some fantastic replies there:

https://twitter.com/murphyia/status/1463627433802936320?t=poim_8_g3QRnXTRNNvw_Mg&s=19

https://twitter.com/AlexBathurst/status/1463629324918087682?t=BTkOXLHV8z_Aqx_U7ZEB5A&s=19

:allears:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/CouncillorPaul_/status/1463566509754748931

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

keep punching joe posted:

Why do you think the healthy vegan martial arts practicing Falun Gong are so persecuted. Prime cuts.

Far more ethical to choose free range organs than battery farmed ones.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If I don't post tomorrow it's because I got so hard it exploded and I died.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Delicious

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i honestly dont understand how someone can get sued for posting that?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Kazuo Ishiguro did it first.

Actually, now that I check they both came out in 2005, so uhh Never Let Me Go is good, but The Island has Scarlett Johansson so it's impossible to say

The Island was based on a book from a few years before. Original story was quite good actually, although it didn't stick the ending

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

e: nvm I'm dumb. also lol.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 25, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Look again.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

lmao the tweet gained 100 replies and somehow lost 1 like.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Convex posted:

The Island was based on a book from a few years before. Original story was quite good actually, although it didn't stick the ending

Both were also *suspiciously* close in plotline to 80s b-movie Parts: The Clonus Horror (as seen on MST3K) to the point where the producers settled out of court for considerably more than the original film ever made.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I've already paid towards the legal fees of that case.

And any other case Jeremy sees fit to bring before the courts.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Nickerson apology as posted on FB:

quote:

Councillor Paul Nickerson

TO MY FREINDS & RESIDENTS IN MY WARD
Dear All,

In recently sharing a defamatory image of Jeremy Corbyn on my twitter account I have demonstrated a terrible lack of judgement. I have let down my own wife, children and the people of Beverley that I am supposed to represent. In trying to explain it away that my account was hacked I made a knee-jerk reaction which further let people down and only made the problem worse. I have no excuse for this at all other than foolishness and stupidity on my part and panic in the face of many thousands of people contacting me online – a situation I have never experienced before and hope to never do again.

I have spent the past week apologising to Mr Corbyn, my family, my colleagues and others for this tweet. I have also come to an arrangement for substantial damages payable to Mr Corbyn and posted an apology directly on twitter and have written a further personal apology letter to him.

Having cleared this legal stage, I am now able to publicly apologise to you, friends and people in my ward. I am sincerely sorry for posting that tweet, I have no excuse at all, it was completely miss-judged, it wasn’t funny or satirical, it was reckless and stupid on my part, especially as an elected representative, I have no defence whatsoever.

I have left from the Conservative Group at East Riding Council and going forward will be an independent councillor working in cooperation other ward councillors from all parties. As well as financial recompense to Mr Corbyn, I have also promised to spend the next year raising £10,000 for youth charities in Beverley including the boxing club so something more positive might eventually come out of this.

I have made a terrible mistake, I have let you all down, I am so very sorry,

Paul

0 comments
Councillor Paul Nickerson limited who can comment on this post.
Councillor Paul Nickerson

https://www.facebook.com/cllrpauln/posts/892691681634704

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i honestly dont understand how someone can get sued for posting that?

apparently you’re not the only one

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I guess he's protected his account because all the tweets linked upthread are gone

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tarnop posted:

I guess he's protected his account because all the tweets linked upthread are gone

I crossposted with screenshots, happily.

OwlFancier posted:

Ever be an idiot on social media so hard you end up having to start a gofundme to cover your legal fees?

https://twitter.com/CouncillorPaul_/status/1463619466529488911

He has not protected his account, just deleted that tweet, which I can only imagine is extremely soul crushing for him, which I am very happy about.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 25, 2021

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

OwlFancier posted:

I crossposted with screenshots, happily.

He has not protected his account, just deleted that tweet, which I can only imagine is extremely soul crushing for him, which I am very happy about.

:sickos:

e: lol he closed the gofundme, with a whopping £30 pledged

https://twitter.com/PigeonPuncher/status/1463681601288683523

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Nov 25, 2021

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I've got to admit, I've been browsing that Tattle website and it honestly is brutally funny about vain, online 'celebrities'.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Lady Demelza posted:

People are insane over parking. I once kept a hatchet by my front door because a neighbourly dispute that was half-parking, half-noise escalated to involve multiple households and resulted in physical assaults. I live in a street where people have work vans and it's understandable that they want to keep their vehicles where they can see them. We can complain about reliance on cars, but I live in an area where every other resident is an Uber driver, a Hermes driver, a care assistant visiting people in their homes, a window cleaner etc. There's not enough space but telling people not to rely on their vehicles is essentially telling them to get a better job and stop being a poor.

I chose to live where I do because I don't have a car and it's on a bus route, but my employer is jumping on the 'green' bandwaggon and discouraging staff from driving into work. Of course this means charging for parking, instead of subsidising public transport or looking at flexible working patterns. We only got permission to work from home because of Covid, and that's gradually being eroded. If management insists people are in the office 20 minutes after school drop-off times, then yes, people are going to drive. It's not just about developers, workplaces need to take a long hard look at what they can do too.

Slightly related point: a labourer I hired to do some garden work got kicked off a bus because he had a spade. We had to wait until he had access to a car so he could drive himself and his spade to my house.

My old employer from this year did a massive shake up of the company car scheme and is really heavily pushing electric cars. Did they have any plans to install a sufficient number of chargers on sites? Of course not.

The people with the cars spent a fair time travelling around during the day as well, so it’s not like they can just juice up at home.

The old estate I used to live at was deliberately designed with insufficient parking to “encourage use of public transport”. Did they make sure there was sufficient public transport available? Of course not.

The best part was the handbook emphasised how little parking you get and that you should take this into consideration before moving in, because as we all know circumstances never ever change unexpectedly.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Pistol_Pete posted:

I've got to admit, I've been browsing that Tattle website and it honestly is brutally funny about vain, online 'celebrities'.

It’s very reminiscent of the old Popbitch messageboard in its heyday

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
someone start a tattle life praxis cast thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

smellmycheese posted:

It’s very reminiscent of the old Popbitch messageboard in its heyday

Saw Joe Wickes referred to as ‘Burpee Jesus’ and I’m in love