Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
I don't even block mine :shrug:. If they get dirty I wash and lay flat over something mesh.

ETA: ah poo poo, page snipe. Have my latest FO.

left_unattended fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Oct 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
I tried blocking one pair of fingerless mittens with a few blocking wires (welding rods) but didn’t really do much, the others I knit I just left to dry flat and they were fine.

I made another octopus and I feel like I’m finally confident in embroidering the eyes. I do one of these every now and then for a break, now back to this endless sweater, knitting round after round of grey.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Whoa!

Double whoa!

Fine work on all fronts.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Is there a particular term for the points of a knitting where they cross or intersect? I'm working on an analogy involving the individual points of a web or net where they connect and I have no idea what they might be called so I'm trying knitting I guess?

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans
My friend's 10 year old has taken up knitting as a hobby and I'd like to get her some patterns and vegan-friendly yarn. Looking to spend anywhere between $20-100

Lovelyn fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 20, 2021

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

What do they like to knit? I just bought some Brava from Knitpicks for dog sweaters and it seems real nice. It is 100% acrylic.

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans
"So far it's just straight knit in any width and length. She's done doll blankets and a scarf, etc. But I have a feeling she would like to be able to knit more types of things and learn different knit stitches, like the pearl" -her mom

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
I’d recommend talking to them about what “vegan” means to them in terms of yarn. Some vegans are absolutely fine with well-sourced wool; some feel VERY strongly about the potential ecological impact of plastic yarn. Bamboo, cotton, and flax are generally safe all around.

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans

elise the great posted:

I’d recommend talking to them about what “vegan” means to them in terms of yarn. Some vegans are absolutely fine with well-sourced wool; some feel VERY strongly about the potential ecological impact of plastic yarn. Bamboo, cotton, and flax are generally safe all around.

Bamboo/cotton/flax sound awesome!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

There are also hemp yarns that are good for making things like knit belts and bags :)

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

If they only use straight needles, a flat knit hat pattern like this would be a good next step:

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/flat-hat-4

And I didn't even really consider the environmental impact of acrylic yarn, yikes. I use 99% wool and spin most of that myself now. I have not gotten around to spinning any plant based fibers, but I want to try some of the more exotic ones like banana and rose.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Bamboo is not as good for the environment as it sounds, fwiw. https://www.treehugger.com/is-bamboo-fabric-sustainable-5078509

Bamboo, along with milk, rose, banana, whatever weird stuff they're trying to sell, is basically just viscose rayon. You can use them to experiment with different staple lengths and textures, but afaik that's all just due to the manufacturers' choices, not inherent differences since the product is so far removed from the input.

Often the putative input is also bullshit:

'rose fiber' patent posted:

It is a kind of modified protein plant fiber with excellent soft hand feel. In particular, the protein is rice protein. . . . The handfeel is fairly soft like the surface of the rose leaf, so it called rose fiber. However, rose fiber does not necessarily have to be derived from rose bushes. Rose fiber is produced by viscose spinning.
https://patents.google.com/patent/WO2018158391A1/en

Cotton or flax are what they seem to be. You can also go to a wool or alpaca farm near you, see how their animals are treated, and buy fiber from them. I don't know where she is on that, but if she's okay with the concept of having pets, I think it's on a par.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Yeah, I know quite a few yarny vegans who feel very strongly that wool and alpaca raised well are compatible w their values. Heirloom sheep lovingly hand-tended by people who have cared for their lineage for three generations and who cut fleece as gently as they would trim their own child’s hair? No problem.

I also know vegans who would rather throw plastic pellets by the handful into a bird sanctuary than use one single hair from a sheep’s rear end, though, so absolutely ask them before you decide.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Wouldn't you need to shave the sheep or they just explode into a fuzzy ball? I remember them finding a sheep that wandered off for a couple of months and looked like a giant rpg monster.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Yeah, modern sheep breeds have been designed to produce so much wool that they require shearing. I assume the anti-wool vegan stance would be that existing sheep should still be sheared(as carefully as possible) for their health, but that new wool sheep shouldn't be bred since they only exist for the convenience of humans.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
It's not the amount necessarily, it's that old breeds used to basically shed on their own, the same way for two weeks in the spring you get enough dog hair to build a second dog. The way sheep do this is by having a weak spot in the fleece where it naturally breaks off. Obviously that's not a great quality for industrial production, so breeds of sheep that still shed that way are a very small minority.

You typically shear once or twice a year. The sheep in the news have usually ducked it for like 5 years, and they're usually Aus/NZ (easier to hide) merinos (heavier fleece to start with). At that point though they're definitely suffering, and much of that wool is no longer usable.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Nov 21, 2021

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Hello, I would just like to brag that on the weekend I completed my third pair of socks and the first pair I felt is actually fit to wear. It took me about two weeks per sock but I'm incredibly happy with them!

bibliophile
Feb 9, 2008

Mad Hamish posted:

Hello, I would just like to brag that on the weekend I completed my third pair of socks and the first pair I felt is actually fit to wear. It took me about two weeks per sock but I'm incredibly happy with them!

I'm very pleased to inform you that those are excellent socks.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Mad Hamish posted:

Those are pretty cool! Curious what yarn and pattern you used.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

BonerGhost posted:

Those are pretty cool! Curious what yarn and pattern you used.

Thanks! The yarn is from a company called Uneek, it's colour way # 61. I kind of made up the pattern as I went along, using one from a book on sock knitting but with some alterations because I didn't like how pointy the toe was. I should probably write it down before I forget!

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Mad Hamish posted:

Congrats! Those are lovely socks! :)
I've never knitted a sock in my life, should probably get around to trying that soon!

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Aside from the toe, turning the heel, and the ribbing on the cuff, it's quite literally mindless knitting. It seems really intimidating at first but a short row heel isn't hideously complicated and there are loads of helpful videos online!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Mad Hamish posted:

Nice socks! Now that you know the joy of hand knit socks, I bet you'll be making tons! I make a point to do a pair a year, minimum.

To everyone wanting to attempt their first socks, I found these tutorials really helpful. I have the 2 toe up socks on 1 circular needle version memorized!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mad Hamish posted:

Aside from the toe, turning the heel, and the ribbing on the cuff, it's quite literally mindless knitting. It seems really intimidating at first but a short row heel isn't hideously complicated and there are loads of helpful videos online!

And if you feel intimidated by the largeness of a pair of socks... do the pattern with a thicker yarn and make cozy slipper-socks for wearing around the house. You can get the technique down and it's not quite as intimidating as possibly losing the amount of work you would with a standard sock-weight yarn.

Also, if you want to get a little less mindless, you can do stripes, cabling, whatever. I find Fairisle to be very difficult with socks because with negative ease you have to be very careful about getting the right amount of slack, but everything else is reasonably easy.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

effika posted:

Nice socks! Now that you know the joy of hand knit socks, I bet you'll be making tons! I make a point to do a pair a year, minimum.

To everyone wanting to attempt their first socks, I found these tutorials really helpful. I have the 2 toe up socks on 1 circular needle version memorized!

I was like "who's this Kristin Belle person" until I got to the page.

I feel like Silver's Sock Classes are a rite of passage at this point.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006

Mad Hamish posted:

They look so cozy and I love the yarn. Wondering if I can knit one massive sock and climb in there. I have knit mermaid lap blankets for my nieces, so it might work…

I still haven’t tried a normal sock but bookmarking that link for the day I finally do.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Easy knitting! Age of Brass and Steam Kerchief, using McMullin Fiber co Posh DK in Honeycomb. It's snuggly and warm!

I'm also only 5 feet tall, so a 20" depth and a 60" top edge looks like a normal shawl on me.

The yellow dye bled a ton in blocking, though, so I am a little afraid to wear it if it'll get wet.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

effika posted:

Easy knitting! Age of Brass and Steam Kerchief, using McMullin Fiber co Posh DK in Honeycomb. It's snuggly and warm!

That is gorgeous!

I gifted the sweaters I made for my dog and her two best friends today. They are so cute and such compatible doofuses. I do have to say I really don't like acrylic yarn though! This was knitpicks brava as I mentioned upthread. It felt soft and is a good easy weight, but as I knitted it, I found it splitty with none of the wooly ways to make it stick to itself. I am a confirmed yarn snob and love wool above all. That said, they turned out cute and are machine washable which is a huge plus for dog sweaters.

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Dec 24, 2021

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

effika, that shawl is beautiful! I love the mustard color.

HungryMedusa, those are too cute! Look at the doggies in their little Christmas sweaters!

I made some mittens for Christmas presents this year, too. Just like me to decide to knit four pairs of mittens with only weeks to go until I had to ship the first two pairs! (And why did I start with one of the pairs that didn't require shipping?)

PeterPanda
Jan 3, 2022
Blocked a scarf that was sitting in my WIP bin for six months this weekend

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Blocking is so satisfying. The colors of that scarf are very pretty, PeterPanda. :)

PeterPanda
Jan 3, 2022

Midnight Sun posted:

Blocking is so satisfying. The colors of that scarf are very pretty, PeterPanda. :)

Thank you so much! Hand dyed silk and merino from Tempe Yarn and Fiber.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

PeterPanda posted:

Thank you so much! Hand dyed silk and merino from Tempe Yarn and Fiber.

Love a good variegated chevron! Great yarn choice for this pattern.

Midnight Sun posted:

HungryMedusa, those are too cute! Look at the doggies in their little Christmas sweaters!

I made some mittens for Christmas presents this year, too. Just like me to decide to knit four pairs of mittens with only weeks to go until I had to ship the first two pairs! (And why did I start with one of the pairs that didn't require shipping?)

Nice mittens!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Both Liverpool and Everton themed ones, brave.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Nettle Soup posted:

Both Liverpool and Everton themed ones, brave.

Everton, I assume you mean the blue and white ones? That's purely coincidental, anyway. :)
I have no interest whatsoever in soccer myself, but the family's Liverpool fan had to get a pair of LFC mittens this year. :)

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
These are super cute. I have so many dog patterns saved in my ‘one day’ list.

I love doing mittens. Do you have a link or name for the second one - the blue cross ones?
—-

Anyone have experience beading their knitting? Any hints, tips or recommendations?

I’ve done a few shawls, which all have optional beading and really want to give it a shot. I’ve got some nice malabrigo lace, a 1mm crotchet hook and a pattern picked out (Dancing Butterflies). So now I just need to find 824 beads (probably 1000 to account for dropping). I had a look at the big chain craft and hobby places (Spotlight and Lincraft in AU) and their beads tend more towards the larger sizes, for jewellery. I did find a shop on the other side of the city that just sells beads and seems to have what I need - 8/0 seed beads - so I think that’s where I’ll get them from.

I’ve read a little bit on the topic - about either loading up your yarn with beads or using the little crochet hook to bead the stitch. About different bead types, sizes, # per gram, etc. so I think I’m about ready although I can’t get to that shop until the weekend. So I just thought I’d ask the question while I plan, give myself a break from highlighting the charts - I find it a lot easier and quicker to work charts once they’re coloured, as opposed to just symbols but it’s a lot of shading tiny squares :effort:
I don’t do the knit and purl stitches, just the fancy ones.

DRINK ME fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 4, 2022

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

PeterPanda posted:

Blocked a scarf that was sitting in my WIP bin for six months this weekend

This is lovely

Midnight Sun posted:

So many good mittens!!

HungryMedusa posted:

That is gorgeous!

I gifted the sweaters I made for my dog and her two best friends today. They are so cute and such compatible doofuses. I do have to say I really don't like acrylic yarn though! This was knitpicks brava as I mentioned upthread. It felt soft and is a good easy weight, but as I knitted it, I found it splitty with none of the wooly ways to make it stick to itself. I am a confirmed yarn snob and love wool above all. That said, they turned out cute and are machine washable which is a huge plus for dog sweaters.

Cuuuute

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
If you can swing it, I would get a fleegle beader and a Beadalon Spin-n-Bead Junior, which I still suspect is magic. Beading as you go is usually a better, much easier plan unless you want a specific effect from prestringing. The only downside is that the yarn has to fit through doubled. Bring your yarn with you to check it will fit through 8/0, which can be iffy. Make sure you choose a yarn that won't break from the added friction and weight of beads (on rav, search for beaded projects in that yarn)

also just prepare for the number of beads you're about to buy. There are so many colors and shapes and effects, and they're so cheap and small to store

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

DRINK ME posted:

I love doing mittens. Do you have a link or name for the second one - the blue cross ones?

Those are the Snøkrystall (Snowflake) mittens, from Sandnes Garn. The pattern is only available in Norwegian, I think, but if you're used to knitting mittens the chart should be easy to follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
I love Norwegian mitten patterns but can never find ones big enough for my hands. Probably just need to look for men's sizes but the pretty ones are only ever small.

Second the recs for a fleegle beader and the other thing, I don't have either but anything that makes beading easier is worth it. The result is so pretty but those crochet hooks are so drat fiddly. Could be related to the above big hands issue.

Also, why is it that no matter how many project bags I own, I never have enough??*

*this is a lie I have too many, I just also have 13 wips and a total disaster zone I call a house.