Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I wish 8 had explored the "mercenary school" angle more by actually meeting other SeeDs out in the world. It would have been so cool to have some side quests helping out other SeeDs, maybe even include them as a Guest Character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Nice Van My Man posted:

Yeah, thematically it could be really interesting. It was just delivered in the most boring way possible and seemed to have very little impact on the characters or the events that played out after it. I hated the orphanage twist that went with it.

Sort of like when the mercenary school turned out to be run by some bad guy. It could have been done in an interesting way, making you question who you trust and why, but in the game you just went into the basement and kicked some guy's rear end that you never heard of before then came back up and everything was fine. (I last played it like 20 years ago so I may be misremembering something).

I mean NORG wasn't a bad guy as much as he simply viewed warfare as a business

Punished "Venom" NORG - A fallen Legend

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Lol Deathloop is 50% off. Do not buy games on release. I mean I still do and I absolutely get it if it's multiplayer but still it's worth stating.

edit: I sometimes buy at full price but I'm still a sucker for doing so.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 25, 2021

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
FF8s story is a lot better if you view each disc as a completely separate and unrelated story that just happens to use the same characters.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

FF8s story is a lot better if you view each disc as a completely separate and unrelated story that just happens to use the same characters.

TIME KOMPRESSION

every time you switch between the past/future its actually a completely different timeline

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Duck and Cover posted:

Lol Deathloop is 50% off. Do not buy games on release. I mean I still do and I absolutely get it if it's multiplayer but still it's worth stating.

It was buggy and was heavily discounted even before the fall sale.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

nvidiagouge posted:

It was buggy and was heavily discounted even before the fall sale.

So you're saying I should preorder games?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Duck and Cover posted:

So you're saying I should preorder games?

absolutely, and get the season pass/deluxe edition/collector's super-duper-mega-special bundles too while you're at it

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Duck and Cover posted:

Here in Australia it's still over $60 even at half price.

What the gently caress kind of game costs over a hundred and loving twenty dollery-doos?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Well you know the import costs to ship all those bits across the ocean are just really restrictive

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Duck and Cover posted:

love dishonored, love prey but the backlash on Deathloop has put me off picking it up, even in a sale

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Duck and Cover posted:

yeah i bought re8 on impulse on release day for 60 and seeing it half off today and still no dlc in sight, that was definitely the mistake i knew in my heart it was gonna be

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
ha dumbasses, at least i know the only game i paid full price for this year (metroid prime) will still be full price in 5 years because nintendo....

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
i;m going to pay full price for final fantasy endwalker and it will be $0 in 3 years when they release the next expansion and give everyone EW for free

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Sometimes I buy games for full price because I like the developer and want them to have more money to make videogames with :shobon:

I might even buy a deluxe edition that gives me a little hat for an extra $10 if I really like them

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Triarii posted:

Sometimes I buy games for full price because I like the developer and want them to have more money to make videogames with :shobon:

I might even buy a deluxe edition that gives me a little hat for an extra $10 if I really like them

i actually preordered the new saints row and the season pass just to support volition...until they sent me en email saying it got delayed until august at which point i refunded and bought 5 games during todays steam sale with some of that 90 bucks i got back

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

JollyBoyJohn posted:

ha dumbasses, at least i know the only game i paid full price for this year (metroid prime) will still be full price in 5 years because nintendo....

I hate you so much for making me think I missed a new prime.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
i paid full price for the pokemon diamond remake lol

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Oh was I not clear baby games for babies don't count. I'm talking about real games like on the computer. Duh.

edit: I suppose you could buy used that's still a thing right?

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 25, 2021

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The only Final Fantasy I've ever played was a banged-up copy of FFX Gamestop threw in with my used PS2 and as a dumbass 12 year old I was mostly angry and confused with it.

And then when I traded FFX back in for something I actually wanted they dinged me for the disc being banged up, because of course they did.

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob
Skyrim's weird cause Steam says I've got 180 hours clocked on it but I barely remember any of it. I did the main quest like one time. What the hell did I do the rest of the time? :iiam:

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Final Fantasy X is my favourite. Weird suicidal quest through lovely tropical environment with a professional athlete with crazy daddy issues that came from a future dreamworld.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

FoolyCharged posted:

I hate you so much for making me think I missed a new prime.

Oh poo poo sorry but in my defence metroid dread is so forgetable that its an easy mistake to make

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
9>6>4>7>5>1>10>8>3>2. Everything else was released after I stopped enjoying JRPGs.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

2 is great because it's so cruel, loads of full party wipes

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Here’s one I know will get me burned at the stake. Morrowind had a better general ui on the Xbox and just plain played better on its controller. Instead of the menus being a vomiting of pc windows, they rejiggered them into a simalcrum of Ocarina of Times cube menu. And it’s much more convenient to just highlight things and have them instantly activate with nothing more than a millimeter flick of the thumbstick, than having to drag stuff everywhere with the mouse.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Caesar Saladin posted:

Final Fantasy X is my favourite. Weird suicidal quest through lovely tropical environment with a professional athlete with crazy daddy issues that came from a future dreamworld.

It's the only one I've ever played and beat. I guess I got it used, fortunately my gf had a guide for it. And I actually liked the story somehow? No way would I enjoy it now but at the time it seemed pretty cool. The pre-rendered stuff was pretty great for the time.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
9 isnt better than 6 you IDIOT

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I seriously can't see why people think 9 is so great. Like, its okay I guess. But I don't see what it does particularly well.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
It has vivi, the best character in any FF game

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
It's not about anime highschoolers

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Vic posted:

It's not about anime highschoolers

I feel like 8 is the only one where they are high schoolers. Maybe I'm wrong though.

9 is still anime

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

JollyBoyJohn posted:

love dishonored, love prey but the backlash on Deathloop has put me off picking it up, even in a sale

Deathloop is cool as gently caress, I think you'd like it. The world is really cool, the acting is really good (like to the extent it's actually a draw) and the basic gameplay is fun.

I think the things putting people off are:

1. There's Dark Souls style invasions.
This is A Scary Thing™ because it means you are not 'safe' in your single player experience! ...Except that you totally are. The consequence for getting killed by the invader is often zero, and that's if they even ever find you.

2. It's a speedrun puzzle.
The object of the game, is to play through the various maps, during different times of day, enough that you can work out the perfect order to complete them in. You're essentially doing a boss-only speedrun challenge, and trying to work out the optimal path through the game. This is intimidating because it sounds like it's harder than just playing a game 'normally'.

I mean, sure, there are obviously other reasons people wouldn't like it. But I think these are really the big two as to why it's got backlash, and I think they're quite reactionary complaints that are more about the perception of the issue than a bad experience.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Deathloop is really good and unique and clever, the vast majority of people who play the game really like it and the backlash is just a bunch of foolish goobers

sad question
May 30, 2020

Hulk Ultimate Destruction owned and we need next gen Hulk game.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

chglcu posted:

9>6>4>7>5>1>10>8>3>2. Everything else was released after I stopped enjoying JRPGs.

9 is bad, sorry

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
6 is boring as poo poo to slog through and 4's cast of idiot characters becomes increasingly unlikeable every time I look at it and I say that as someone who loved both of those games growing up

Throw all FFs in the garbage other than 5 and maybe 1 with the randomizer

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Caesar Saladin posted:

I seriously can't see why people think 9 is so great. Like, its okay I guess. But I don't see what it does particularly well.

the best final fantasy is the one you played when you are 12

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

the best final fantasy is FFV because you play as Butz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Rutibex posted:

the best final fantasy is the one you played when you are 12

This is correct I played a lot of final fantasies when I was 12 and they were all the best