Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

On the bright side, it’s gonna be really hard to google “Elden ring torrent”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Flytrap posted:

Also the giant snake that is the single largest NPC From Soft has ever made. So loving shitdamning long that its body could fill any like, 3 full Dark Souls maps.

gently caress me sideways i'm the biggest rear end in a top hat for not including the snek in that post

CharlestonJew posted:

Or has never actually played Sekiro and is therefore, a fake gamer.

Which is the worst crime of them all

:haibrow:

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Hmm I forgot to go to sens fortress locked door and talk to seigmeyer before opening the door. Did I ruin his quest line

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Where are the dwarves in dark souls?

They were trapped in the DS2 ratbro zone and died a tragic death :(

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

bows1 posted:

Hmm I forgot to go to sens fortress locked door and talk to seigmeyer before opening the door. Did I ruin his quest line

nah he shows up behind the big slope the boulders roll down whether or not you talked to him before

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I'm interested in Elden Ring but I've never played any Souls games. I see Steam has DS1 and DS3 on sale now. Which of those should I grab to get ready?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

LongDarkNight posted:

I'm interested in Elden Ring but I've never played any Souls games. I see Steam has DS1 and DS3 on sale now. Which of those should I grab to get ready?

DS1 if you want a solid narrative to pick around at and an interesting world to explore and fight in. DS3 if you want a fun action game, though most of the plot is following through on the narratives set in place by the previous 2 games.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Dark Souls (the first) is always the answer. Then you should get 3. Then you should get 2. Then buy a PS4 for Bloodborne.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

3 is going to be the most Elden-like, with focus points and weapon arts, and probably just in general because it’s the latest capitol S Souls, but if you think you might ever want to go back and play DS1, it would better to just start there.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

LongDarkNight posted:

Demon's Souls.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

LongDarkNight posted:

If you look back at the last few pages of this thread, you’ll see that there are a lot of varied answers to that question, but mostly the answer is “Not DS2”, so you’re probably good either way.

I would say that 3 is the closest to what Elden Ring will be and also the most polished experience

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

let's just say that anyone claiming sekiro removed its fantastical thematic content is kind of ignoring the ape who throws turds, centipede neck men, fire owls, giant ogres, the rope god, a giant karp, old fishmen perverts who kick soccer ball lightning, a man who barfs on his sword to enchant it, monkeys with guns, a fascist grandfather who emerges from the shoulder of his nephew, a used up woodcarver with an arm made of flaming hatred, and a giant sword wielding tree dragon.

edit; also snek!

I love that most of the explanation for the crazy poo poo is just centipedes.

But I honestly agree with the lack of high fantasy thing. It's not so much mystical things don't exist but they exist in almost a mundane way in reality versus Western expectations which almost import divine significance.

Like Christian Hell is this horrifying thing where your punished for your sins. Chinese Hell is you just having to line up and deal with Hell bureaucracy. Even Heaven has bureaucracy.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Thundercracker posted:

I love that most of the explanation for the crazy poo poo is just centipedes.

But I honestly agree with the lack of high fantasy thing. It's not so much mystical things don't exist but they exist in almost a mundane way in reality versus Western expectations which almost import divine significance.

Like Christian Hell is this horrifying thing where your punished for your sins. Chinese Hell is you just having to line up and deal with Hell bureaucracy. Even Heaven has bureaucracy.

You also have to get horribly punished forever once you go through the bureaucracy. Mulian’s mom being condemned to be impaled with 49 swords in a lake of blood for millions of years for her lack of charity and all that

acyclicity
Oct 27, 2008

A curious little mouse!

LongDarkNight posted:

DS3 is the closest to Elden Ring in terms of healing and combat mechanics, so it's the best one to get if you want to prepare. If you're interested in Souls games, in general, then starting with DS1 is the way to go.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

LongDarkNight posted:

3 > 1 > 2

Some will argue this, but that's my take. I started with 2 when it came out and then got 3 at release. I have never beaten 1. loving the camera is the hardest enemy and they made that a lot better in 3.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

LongDarkNight posted:

Depends on what you want or what was turning you off on the games, really.

DS1 Pros:
-Combat-wise DS1 is a slightly gentler on-ramp. The enemies and bosses aren't as refined (aka aggressive or smart), but that gives you time to practice the "rhythm" of the game before it starts putting you in a half-nelson.
-DS1 is foundational to the modern From Software games and every subsequent game builds on it, comments on it, and references it. DS3 more than any other, really. So you can have your [Leo pointing at TV] moments if you play DS1, then DS3.
-DS1 has a lot of sidepaths, nooks, crannies, and areas you can peek into way earlier than you're expected to go into them, especially if you start with the Master Key. It makes the first part of the game feel way more open-ended and interesting.

DS1 Cons:
-You don't get the ability to warp from bonfire to bonfire until after the base game's "midpoint", so you have to do a lot of walking back and forth across the zones.
-Even after you get the ability to warp, it's only to some bonfires, so have fun treating the game like coordinating bus/train stops to figure out what drops you off closest to where you want to go.
-Since it's an older game, it has a lot of opaque systems that didn't carry forward. Like the upgrade system is better than it was in Demon's Souls but it's still kind of inconveniently complex.
-The second half of the base game isn't as consistently good as the first half, and a few of the areas are notably and notoriously rushed, but you can also do the DLC at that point and the DLC is the best part of the game.
-You can't re-spec your character, and there are several stats that are completely worthless and allocating points to them is a trap.
-DS1 will auto start you into NG+ after you beat the final boss of the base game, so there's no going back if you realize you missed a hidden area or finishing an NPC sidequest or whatever.

DS3 Pros:
-The combat, area, and enemy design is going to be the closest to Elden Ring.
-DS3 won't confuse you and possibly mislead you down into areas way above your skill level. DS1 has a few famous newbie traps caused by last-minute changes that were made to when they expected you to go to certain areas.
-DS3's equipment upgrade system is simple and easy.
-DS3 let's you re-spec your character fairly easily.
-DS3 will not auto-kick you to NG+, you can choose when to start that if you want to go back and look up things you missed on a blind run through.
-DS3 has the most consistently good quality of boss fights. There's not any ridiculous pushovers, or any extremely bullshit janky ones you will run into in the earlier games.

DS3 Cons:
-DS3 has a few times you can "choose" where to go next but it doesn't have as many sidepath circuits as the first half of DS1 does. I don't think it's "linear" but it's definitely more focused. Maybe you'll like that you won't get lost as much or get stuck somewhere it'll be rough to climb back out of, maybe you'll miss that.
-DS3 is the capstone to all the prior games from Demon's Souls through Bloodborne. DS3 has a lot to say on the nature of sequels and on the prior games you might not pick up on without playing the other games before it, but it's up to you how much that matters.
-Their experiences in how to design the other games were also applied to this one, and it may feel "harder." The enemies are certainly faster and more aggressive than in DS1, but again you might like that more if you find DS1 too slow and doddering.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 25, 2021

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

skasion posted:

You also have to get horribly punished forever once you go through the bureaucracy. Mulian’s mom being condemned to be impaled with 49 swords in a lake of blood for millions of years for her lack of charity and all that

Yeah, but that's after the official legal process. Which is mundane as poo poo if you think about it.

Also my parents told me the paper money was for bribery, so you can theoretically grift your way out of it like in IRL.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
actually all of the souls sekiro borne games are perfect and i’m looking forward to another perfect entry in the catalog, Elden Ring!!!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

this is the spice

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Thanks for the replies. Picked up DS1. Downloading now. Going to crack into it tomorrow morning.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

resistance is the "only" trap stat unless I'm forgetting one. Everything else will give you something useful. Endurance is very powerful since it gives you both stamina and allows you to equip heavier stuff.

Other than that, have fun. It's not a flawless game but it's beloved for a reason.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Nov 26, 2021

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Brandfarlig posted:

resistance is the "only" trap stat unless I'm forgetting one. Everything else will give you something useful. Endurance is very powerful since it gives you both stamina and allows you to equip heavier stuff.

Other than that, have fun. It's not a flawless game but it's beloved for a reason.

I was amused to learn that resistance is such a nothing stat it isn't even accounted for in determining your starting level.

quote:

Resistance is not factored into Soul Level for starting classes. Furthermore, starting with high resistance will not be detrimental towards creating an optimized build. This is the reason why the max level (99 points in all stats) for a class like the Wanderer with 12 resistance is 709, whereas the max level for the Sorcerer with 8 resistance is 713.

https://darksouls.wiki.fextralife.com/Resistance

Bottom line is technically Resistance increases your defenses, but so does just leveling up in general, or leveling up your health and equipment stats specifically, and it's always better to just wear equipment with defenses you want than to try and get anything remotely like similar results out of Resistance.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

LongDarkNight posted:

Thanks for the replies. Picked up DS1. Downloading now. Going to crack into it tomorrow morning.

Trip report please, or just do what everyone else is doing now on these them forums and let us support mock and deride you while giving you the most oblique hints in history on twitch stream

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

marshmallow creep posted:

I was amused to learn that resistance is such a nothing stat it isn't even accounted for in determining your starting level.

https://darksouls.wiki.fextralife.com/Resistance

Bottom line is technically Resistance increases your defenses, but so does just leveling up in general, or leveling up your health and equipment stats specifically, and it's always better to just wear equipment with defenses you want than to try and get anything remotely like similar results out of Resistance.

Yeah unless you're softcapped on vigor, endurance and your damage stats there's no reason to touch it. And that's not happening until the end of Ng at the earliest.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

LongDarkNight posted:

If you want super duper easy mode start with Pyromancer, they start with a stupidly powerful form of magic that requires 0 stat investment to make strong.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I love Dark Souls 1 pyromancy. It only requires attunement to have slots, and improving the catalyst, and otherwise is open to every build. Even if you want to otherwise be a pure fighter, having enough attunement for a slot and a good pyromancy to act as a "special move" feels great. Iron Flesh or Power Within in particular can be game changers anyone can use and for certain bosses are super, super helpful for first time players.

Honestly Pyromancy scaling with traditional caster stats in the later games always felt like it was missing the point of what DS1 pyromancy was about. Pyromancy should be the magic of the people!

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
The best class to start out with is Thief for the included Master Key and then choose the Witches Ring as your gift for MAXIMUM CONTENT

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I really like ds1 pyromancy too but it kind of makes miracles and sorcery superfluous when you can get fantastic damage without stat investment. It's balanced well enough through its cost for PvE but everyone having pyro in pvp is a bit much. Not the biggest concern but it's a hell of a boost to have in exchange for some grinding.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Pyromancy tends to be a bit more close range than sorcery and you get fewer casts. I think it fits its offhand attack magic niche pretty well. It helps, but you can't snipe an entire level with it like you can with soul arrows.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

With how short the lock on distance is you don't lose that much range but sure, sorcery is better at it. It has to be, really.

Elerion
May 31, 2011
I love DS1 dearly but it is also an extremely janky and dated game. DS3 should probably be the default starting point for someone wanting to get into the series in preparation for Elden Ring.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Ds2 for the power stance practice and experience exploring an open world

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Elerion
May 31, 2011
Elden Ring: Failure can occur while playing

Elden Ring: It's sex, but please understand in advance

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

I mean, they're not wrong.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

LongDarkNight posted:

Did you grab an extra controller to replace the one you're going to smash into pieces?

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Elerion posted:

I love DS1 dearly but it is also an extremely janky and dated game. DS3 should probably be the default starting point for someone wanting to get into the series in preparation for Elden Ring.

Extremely janky is a bit strong. Yes DS3 is smoother but I played through the remaster recently and I didn't find myself too annoyed. You notice the age difference but the quality started high.

And DS1 still has the strongest individual areas in the DS1-3 series at least.

Edit: Elden Ring: It will be a thing.

good to finally have confirmation that this is actually a videogame that exists

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Nov 26, 2021

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

marshmallow creep posted:

I love Dark Souls 1 pyromancy. It only requires attunement to have slots, and improving the catalyst, and otherwise is open to every build. Even if you want to otherwise be a pure fighter, having enough attunement for a slot and a good pyromancy to act as a "special move" feels great. Iron Flesh or Power Within in particular can be game changers anyone can use and for certain bosses are super, super helpful for first time players.

Honestly Pyromancy scaling with traditional caster stats in the later games always felt like it was missing the point of what DS1 pyromancy was about. Pyromancy should be the magic of the people!
Pyromancy having zero scaling is great because you can play the funniest archetype, Muscle Magician

it's very silly running around with basically zero investment into anything other than hp/endurance/attunement, fireballing anything and everything that looks at you funny

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Nov 26, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's a hallmark of the Souls games to have some sort of headgear that a) boosts your magic damage a ton, making it highly desirable to wear, and b) looks goofy as gently caress. I'm talkin' Crown of Dusk, I'm talkin' the Custard Tornado from Demon's Souls.

What I wanna know if Elden Ring will have one and will it be able to top previous games in their level of goofiness?

(also IMO the magic-boosting headgear in Dark Souls 1 should've been Big Hat Logan's Big Hat but that's just me)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Harrow posted:

It's a hallmark of the Souls games to have some sort of headgear that a) boosts your magic damage a ton, making it highly desirable to wear, and b) looks goofy as gently caress. I'm talkin' Crown of Dusk, I'm talkin' the Custard Tornado from Demon's Souls.

What I wanna know if Elden Ring will have one and will it be able to top previous games in their level of goofiness?

(also IMO the magic-boosting headgear in Dark Souls 1 should've been Big Hat Logan's Big Hat but that's just me)

I never understood how he got his name though