Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Apparently the artist was contracted for six line drawings in black and white and then suddenly had to do a whole book in color

haha, drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Moiraine going (paraphrasing): "Lews Thering decided to seal the Dark One and thus broke the world. The audacity." made me think about it. With the benefit of hindsight, was that really the wrong move? Yes, it broke the world, but what alternative was there? They couldn't use the Choedan Kal. Were they just supposed to continue the War of Power? The later books in the series make it clear just how much the Dark One was able to gently caress up the world while he was still bound by some of the seals, reality was nearly undone. So what alternative was there to sealing him away, even if it meant Saidin getting tainted? I think LTT gets an unfair rep here.

A related question, why exactly couldn't they use the Choedan Kal? They must have had the access keys, since those where in Rhuidean. Meaning the Aiel brought them there, and the flashbacks show them abandoning some of the items the Aes Sedai gave them for safekeeping, not adding items to their pile. Was it that the forces of the Shadow conquered the physical locations of the Choedan Kal, and thus could have destroyed them once people began to channel through them?

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

Torrannor posted:

Was it that the forces of the Shadow conquered the physical locations of the Choedan Kal, and thus could have destroyed them once people began to channel through them?
The access keys were lost, and I don't think they shadow knew exactly where the Choedan Kal were, but they controlled the area they were in.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Torrannor posted:

Moiraine going (paraphrasing): "Lews Thering decided to seal the Dark One and thus broke the world. The audacity." made me think about it. With the benefit of hindsight, was that really the wrong move? Yes, it broke the world, but what alternative was there? They couldn't use the Choedan Kal. Were they just supposed to continue the War of Power? The later books in the series make it clear just how much the Dark One was able to gently caress up the world while he was still bound by some of the seals, reality was nearly undone. So what alternative was there to sealing him away, even if it meant Saidin getting tainted? I think LTT gets an unfair rep here.

A related question, why exactly couldn't they use the Choedan Kal? They must have had the access keys, since those where in Rhuidean. Meaning the Aiel brought them there, and the flashbacks show them abandoning some of the items the Aes Sedai gave them for safekeeping, not adding items to their pile. Was it that the forces of the Shadow conquered the physical locations of the Choedan Kal, and thus could have destroyed them once people began to channel through them?

I don't disagree here, it was the right call to do Lews Therin's plan, and also the right call to do it alone. It was very much one of those things that, in hindsight, fate straight up declared it was happening in one of two ways. I suspect if Latra Posae's plan had been implemented, men wouldn't have cooperated and saidar would have ended up tainted or some other terrible event would take place.

IIRC, the access keys were in the hands of the Shadow. Presumably, in the period following the Sealing, during the early Breaking, the access keys were found and hidden away. I'd not be shocked if it was an actual act of cooperation between the Shadow and the Light back then so that an insane male channeler didn't find them and destroy the world, as opposed to just break it.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
They were lost behind the lines after a Forsaken advance, presumably they were recovered during the Breaking before the Aiel got sent off on their quest.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Please post more images inline with the corpse-gleeman above thank you

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Torrannor posted:

Basically all Moiraine knows is that what Lews Therin did ended the War of Power, but also broke the world. We all know a lot that she, and probably almost all Aes Sedai for that matter, don't know. Lews Therin made what was probably the only choice available to him at that point, but living in a world where any male channeler is doomed to die and humanity is in slow retreat - yeah, he'd get a bad rap. Misunderstandings and stories getting warped is a major theme of the series, after all.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

SerSpook posted:

IIRC, the access keys were in the hands of the Shadow. Presumably, in the period following the Sealing, during the early Breaking, the access keys were found and hidden away. I'd not be shocked if it was an actual act of cooperation between the Shadow and the Light back then so that an insane male channeler didn't find them and destroy the world, as opposed to just break it.

The Choeden Kal were made in Tremalking and Tremonsien, and the access keys were made in a third location because of "resonances". The forces of the shadow advanced and happened to capture the city the Keys were made in but didn't realize they had them. The keys were hidden within the city and those captured resisted torture enough to prevent them from being found, but the Choedan Kal themselves were useless and it was only a matter of time before the Shadow either found them or just won outright, hence why LTT and his hundred companions made their strike.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Chomposaur posted:

Now I get what Moiraine saw in him, mrawr

Speaking of:

https://twitter.com/blaugranaana/status/1463151355632267268

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

dunno if anyone here watched the last kingdom (u should btw because it owns), but Thom’s actor has a great part in it, basically playing Roose Bolton’s Viking equivalent. Definitely has me hype for him here.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol well let's see who they cast as galad given how the books spend so much time talking about how hot he is

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

shrike82 posted:

lol well let's see who they cast as galad given how the books spend so much time talking about how hot he is

just put josha in a blonde wig imo

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The Grey Fox, you say?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Timothee Chalamet for Galad

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

The Lord Bude posted:

Timothee Chalamet for Galad

Honestly I think this could work. Dude is downright beautiful

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Also on the "liked the manetheren story song/did not care for Thom's grunge rock ballad"

Not having the flute and having a stringed thing (not a harp) is fine, but they need to do something more fun with it I hope.

Chalamet for Galad would be some on the nose poo poo.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

rebecca ferguson as morgase, zendaya as elayne, and john brolin as gareth to dupe the dune cast

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I know they’re gonna probably skip a bunch of it but Thom teaching the boys to be gleeman so they can always have money was one of the best parts of the first book for me.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

imo galad gotta be a hunk, not a waif

rebecca ferguson could kill literally any aes sedai role though

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I don't know if he does but I'm hoping Thom returns , they kind of left it ambigous as to whether he really died. I have a feeling he will be back but I don't know when.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Invalid Validation posted:

Rand is the Robert Jordan stand in so he doesn’t need a trainer. He just pulls spells out of his rear end.

To be honest, everyone pulls spells out of their rear end. Aviendha Travels out of sheer panic at one point.

I think it's pretty strongly indicated that channelling is at least partially intuition and instinct.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Rand at least had the built in excuse of being the reincarnation of the most powerful channeler that ever lived and being guided by his past life on how to channel, even if he doesn’t explicitly remember what he’s doing until later in the series.

Edit: I appreciate how many other people are now on the Chalamet as Galad train

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Nynaeve straight up balefires some Shadowspawn in book 3

Timothee Chalamet is totally wrong for Galad. He should be like One Direction/Justin Bieber/Zac Efron levels of bland teenage heartthrob

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

I hate wish casting but Andrew koji from warrior would be an ideal galad

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Apparently the artist was contracted for six line drawings in black and white and then suddenly had to do a whole book in color

No way. How could anyone think that was a good idea?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

th3t00t posted:

Edit: I appreciate how many other people are now on the Chalamet as Galad train

What with Galad being responsible for more health and safety breaches in the White Tower's cucumber store than any man in its history and the novices only not being punished more harshly for it because half the sisters didn't want the other half saying "as if you wouldn't", you've got to find someone who is more than just a teen heartthrob. It's difficult to think of many "too pretty to be true" men who don't look 12 along with it. You need someone like Brad Pitt in his 20s, maybe.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Get the ugly guy that played Loras Tyrell to play him. Make him 2 for 2 in denying people their pretty boy.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I think it's pretty strongly indicated that channelling is at least partially intuition and instinct.
I'd go further than "strongly indicated", tbh. Wilder tricks (and wilders in general) are a thing, after all.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
OK I grabbed a handful of the more egregious art on the wiki. There are plenty of decent to good pieces (I discovered this guy's art through the wiki and really like his style: http://seamassketches.blogspot.com/2007/07/wheel-of-time-series-i-finally-got.html

But it being a wiki it seems like anyone can upload whatever colored pencil fanart they want to:

I assume the "big book of bad art" everyone references is Ariel Burgess? Her stuff is on nearly every page of the wiki and she is described as the "official wheel of time artist". Some stuff is good, some is...

Then there's art from the CCG which I remember buying and playing briefly in the 90s CCG boom, and thinking it wasn't very good. I forgot how atrocious a lot of the art was (though this is not unique to WOTCCG by any means). Sorry these are so small, this is what the wiki is working with.

"Moghedien"

"Graendal"

"Gholam"

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Dr. Clockwork posted:

OK I grabbed a handful of the more egregious art on the wiki. There are plenty of decent to good pieces (I discovered this guy's art through the wiki and really like his style: http://seamassketches.blogspot.com/2007/07/wheel-of-time-series-i-finally-got.html

But it being a wiki it seems like anyone can upload whatever colored pencil fanart they want to:

I assume the "big book of bad art" everyone references is Ariel Burgess? Her stuff is on nearly every page of the wiki and she is described as the "official wheel of time artist". Some stuff is good, some is...

Then there's art from the CCG which I remember buying and playing briefly in the 90s CCG boom, and thinking it wasn't very good. I forgot how atrocious a lot of the art was (though this is not unique to WOTCCG by any means). Sorry these are so small, this is what the wiki is working with.

"Moghedien"

"Graendal"

"Gholam"

:discourse:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

https://www.artistarielburgess.com/wheel-of-time

Some of this poo poo isn't bad in an 80's campy sort of way

Except for her giant watermark signature what the actual gently caress

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

“Don’t listen to anyone that says the book is rife with corny bdsm! It’s really not! They don’t love the books enough to offer a credible opinion!”

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hearing reactions from friends who know nothing about the property has been a trip.

GoT has ppp thinking WoT is for kids bc it doesn't have way too much sex and ppl dying. I could point out the numerous body disections in the first ep but ppl I guess are put off by the young ages of the cast and the lack of characterization and subversion so far in the eps.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

:eyepop:

Can't wait for that Graendal casting

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Shageletic posted:

Hearing reactions from friends who know nothing about the property has been a trip.

GoT has ppp thinking WoT is for kids bc it doesn't have way too much sex and ppl dying. I could point out the numerous body disections in the first ep but ppl I guess are put off by the young ages of the cast and the lack of characterization and subversion so far in the eps.

GoT did a good job tricking everyone into thinking it wasn't about the Stark children at first, yea

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

The best thing about GoT was the white walkers and all the poo poo north of the wall which they touched maybe once or twice a season.

And the resolution was the wettest fart of all time. Politics and loving? Who cares.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

GoT: there’s magic, maybe

WoT, episode 1: look at this fuckin badass ripping apart monsters, calling lightning, and machine gunning dozens of baddies with a building

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Shageletic posted:

the kids in got were even younger

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hexel posted:

:eyepop:

Can't wait for that Graendal casting

Never gonna happen but for me Graendal will always be Angelina Jolie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ChubbyChecker posted:

the kids in got were even younger

Hey I'm not arguing the point! I don't get it either. But GoT did start with a beheading where the kid had to watch it, then ended with that kid being crippled.

So loving grimdark lol