Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Russia's destiny lies to the west. It's against god himself to state or act otherwise.

Russia should steward all Slavic people to their destiny Manning the iron furnaces in the saar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Vasukhani posted:

Cool, but lets operate in the realm of reality where Russia remains a sovereign state that desires to become more powerful

Nah, let's operate in the realm of reality where non-Russia countries remain sovereign states that desire to have, you know, sovereignty and agency.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

mmkay posted:

Nah, let's operate in the realm of reality where non-Russia countries remain sovereign states that desire to have, you know, sovereignty and agency.

Yes. All countries have agency. and they want to use that agency to put themselves in a better geostrategic position... oh gently caress... its back to neorealism... which means Russia is also a sovereign state that desires to become more powerful, just like the rest of them!

We should base our assumptions on that! I'm glad we agree.

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Nov 25, 2021

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Vasukhani posted:

Yes. All countries have agency. and they want to put themselves in a better geostrategic position... oh gently caress... its back to neorealism... which means Russia is also a sovereign state that desires to become more powerful, just like the rest of them!
Russia has other routes to achieve this and, when it chooses overt belligerence, only reinforces the coalition against it so long as leaders in the coalition, like the United States, use their belligerence as a demonstrable lesson of the necessity of the coalition. The only reason Russia is in a feasible position now to even think it can play hardball is because Putin was smart enough to sow disunity and apathy in the coalition—letting this new threat go unchallenged would only advance Putin's agenda.

If you were simply arguing that the US won't commit serious forces to Ukraine, absolutely, I'd buy that. But you seem to be going a step further to dismiss as futile any effort to shore up the Western coalition. Given that said effort doesn't require all that much resourcing, what precisely does the US gain by simply handing Ukraine over on a silver platter? There's certainly tons to lose, particularly for the tens of thousands of Ukrainians Putin would murder.

sad question
May 30, 2020

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/polish-tribunal-rules-european-rights-court-cannot-question-its-judges-2021-11-24/

quote:

WARSAW, Nov 24 (Reuters) - Poland's Constitutional Tribunal said on Wednesday that the European Court of Human Rights had no power to question its appointment of judges, rejecting a ruling by Europe's top human rights court in May.

Dismissed by critics as a politicised body, the Constitutional Tribunal has already sparked a crisis in the European Union this year by ruling that parts of the bloc's treaties are incompatible with the Polish constitution.

"Article 6 of the Convention ... as far as it includes the Constitutional Tribunal in its definition of a court, is not compatible," with the Polish constitution, said judge Julia Przylebska, the head of the Tribunal.

She said the article was unconstitutional in as far as it gave the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) the right to assess the legality of the appointment of the Tribunal's judges.

Things going swimmingly in Poland :sigh: Dumbasses in power are like a child checking what it can get away with.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

sad question posted:

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/polish-tribunal-rules-european-rights-court-cannot-question-its-judges-2021-11-24/

Things going swimmingly in Poland :sigh: Dumbasses in power are like a child checking what it can get away with.

I don’t think that’s quite an accurate description. They know rather well what they [i]can[i] do, and this just another step to reassert their grip over the country, and rub it in for the EU.

Speaking of Poland, there also was https://www.politico.eu/article/outrage-over-polish-government-plan-to-register-each-pregnancy/ just recently.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I saw almost hundred new replies in the EE thread and for a while I was worried something actually happened.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Vasukhani posted:

Yes. All countries have agency. and they want to use that agency to put themselves in a better geostrategic position... oh gently caress... its back to neorealism... which means Russia is also a sovereign state that desires to become more powerful, just like the rest of them!

We should base our assumptions on that! I'm glad we agree.

And the desire of the rest of the world combined says - gently caress Russia, Putin can go suck an egg.

It's always interesting how in this "serious" analysis the desire of one dictator is real and must be slavishly obeyed, while the desires of the much more powerful collective standing against him don't count.

If Luxembourg started yelling about conquering France because uniting the Francophonic countries is their geopolitical destiny, and threatened an invasion if Paris doesn't accept its ultimatum, I presume you'd also support their claims with grave concern and warn that if we don't capitulate to our Luxembourg overlords, we would regret it later - because the absurd overreach of the aggressors in setting up wildly unrealistic geopolitical goals far beyond their grasp is about the same in both cases.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Nov 25, 2021

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

steinrokkan posted:

And the desire of the rest of the world combined says - gently caress Russia, Putin can go suck an egg.

It's always interesting how in this "serious" analysis the desire of one dictator is real and must be slavishly obeyed, while the desires of the much more powerful collective standing against him don't count.

If Luxembourg started yelling about conquering France because uniting the Francophonic countries is their geopolitical destiny, and threatened an invasion if Paris doesn't accept its ultimatum, I presume you'd also support their claims with grave concern and warn that if we don't capitulate to our Luxembourg overlords, we would regret it later - because the absurd overreach of the aggressors in setting up wildly unrealistic geopolitical goals far beyond their grasp is about the same in both cases.

Russia has thousands of nuclear warheads. It's a lot more like two peer competitors just because of that. The desires of NATO do count. They desire not to start a conflict with Russia over Ukraine.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Letting Russia mess freely with Ukraine definitely will end there and not encourage hismessing with other post-Soviet states, nor likewise encourage other irredentist autocrats even inside of NATO like Erdogan, messing badly with the coalition's cohesion and stability.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Actually Vasukhani convinced me. We should give nuclear weapons to Ukraine and let Russia and Ukraine sort it out between themselves.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Grape posted:

Letting Russia mess freely with Ukraine definitely will end there and not encourage hismessing with other post-Soviet states, nor likewise encourage other irredentist autocrats even inside of NATO like Erdogan, messing badly with the coalition's cohesion and stability.
Second-order effects?! In my geopolitics?? No, no, see, there's only Russia, Ukraine, and America and since Russia loves Ukraine sooo much, it would literally destroy the world rather than have it happy with someone else, so the US just must accept this and stop wasting so much effort protesting. Then everyone* wins! The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must except organizing to balance the strong, who is feeding these crazy ideas into your head??? Beep boop, so simple.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Xarn posted:

Actually Vasukhani convinced me. We should give nuclear weapons to Ukraine and let Russia and Ukraine sort it out between themselves.

Give them *back* to Ukraine as they already had some, and were very responsible.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I know they've had some after USSR fell, but that's about it. :shrug: Also IIRC Russia got them, and somehow I don't think Russia is gonna give them back

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Xarn posted:

I know they've had some after USSR fell, but that's about it. :shrug: Also IIRC Russia got them, and somehow I don't think Russia is gonna give them back

Funny story they gave them up in exchange for an international agreement that stated Russia would respect their territorial boundaries and not use military or economic force to influence their politics.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Cugel the Clever posted:

Russia loves Ukraine sooo much, it would literally destroy the world rather than have it happy with someone else

Russia, standing on the Ukrainian border, switches on a boombox, blaring out And IIIIiiiiiiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII will alwayyyyyyyyyys loveinvaaaaaaaaaaade youuuuuuuuu during what has become a very awkward dinner date with the EU.

Xarn posted:

Depends on what sorta giving back we're talkin' here :clancychat:

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Cugel the Clever posted:

Second-order effects?! In my geopolitics?? No, no, see, there's only Russia, Ukraine, and America and since Russia loves Ukraine sooo much, it would literally destroy the world rather than have it happy with someone else, so the US just must accept this and stop wasting so much effort protesting. Then everyone* wins! The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must except organizing to balance the strong, who is feeding these crazy ideas into your head??? Beep boop, so simple.

I am not explaining myself well because I am so stupid. Also, neither side desires to destroy the world, but Russia will not back down on core interests and competition on core interests can lead to unintended escalation.

There are basically 3 outcomes.

US agrees for mutual defense with Ukraine -- US refuses to allow this so its not really worth considering. Biden has made it clear that Ukraine is not joining NATO on the short-term, more over, Euro members have even stronger disagreements to a possible Ukraine membership.

US continues to support Ukraine in minor ways, but makes no concrete action -- This is the worst outcome. Russia continues to view Ukraine as an existential threat and Ukraine is encouraged to fight a battle it cannot win a la Georgia 2008 to make a nice point about how important NATO is. The burning ruins of holy sophia will serve as a nice reminder to meet your defense/GDP levels.

US and Russia enforce Ukrainian neutrality as in the case of Austria and Finland. Suslov says this would be an acceptable outcome for Russia in that webinar I linked. There is no generalized war and Ukraine remains an independent sovereign nation. Not that buffer states are not areas of competition, but a such a solution would assure that this competition remains below the level of war. This would also be a chance to reemphasize red lines. This isn't conceding to Russia, this is making red-lines apparent and maintaining credibility.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Grape posted:

There is a reason the US cares a lot about what happens in Ukraine and is not actually concerned with actions of russia in central asia and the south caucasus

if only there was some term for that, certain areas where states had predominant authority

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Vasukhani posted:

I am not explaining myself well because I am so stupid. Also, neither side desires to destroy the world, but Russia will not back down on core interests and competition on core interests can lead to unintended escalation.

There are basically 3 outcomes.

US agrees for mutual defense with Ukraine -- US refuses to allow this so its not really worth considering. Biden has made it clear that Ukraine is not joining NATO on the short-term, more over, Euro members have even stronger disagreements to a possible Ukraine membership.

US continues to support Ukraine in minor ways, but makes no concrete action -- This is the worst outcome. Russia continues to view Ukraine as an existential threat and Ukraine is encouraged to fight a battle it cannot win a la Georgia 2008 to make a nice point about how important NATO is. The burning ruins of holy sophia will serve as a nice reminder to meet your defense/GDP levels.

US and Russia enforce Ukrainian neutrality as in the case of Austria and Finland. Suslov says this would be an acceptable outcome for Russia in that webinar I linked. There is no generalized war and Ukraine remains an independent sovereign nation. Not that buffer states are not areas of competition, but a such a solution would assure that this competition remains below the level of war. This would also be a chance to reemphasize red lines. This isn't conceding to Russia, this is making red-lines apparent and maintaining credibility.

We should make bets on how many years it will take for this same post but for Moldova.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i think the solution to this conundrum is to give a couple hundred nukes to both ukraine and cuba

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Bel Shazar posted:

We should make bets on how many years it will take for this same post but for Moldova.

Nah the US should also promise to support Moldova, imply that they are on the path to join a balancing coalition, not allow them to join it, and then act shocked when they get invaded by the target of that coalition. That will help US credibility and is a better outcome than a solution that avoids war and maintains credibility.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I like how you still just agree that Russia can't help itself but invade other countries, and we should let it.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Truga posted:

i think the solution to this conundrum is to give a couple hundred nukes to both ukraine and cuba

I'm sure the people in this thread would've supported Soviet nukes in Cuba in 1961, assuming their model has any principle.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Xarn posted:

I like how you still just agree that Russia can't help itself but invade other countries, and we should let it.

Nah we should establish a coalition to balance against it......

What NATO shouldn't do is knowingly sacrifice third countries to emphasize how useful it is.

Asking states very nicely to stop behaving like states has an 0% effectiveness

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 25, 2021

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Vasukhani posted:

Nah the US should also promise to support Moldova, imply that they are on the path to join a balancing coalition, not allow them to join it, and then act shocked when they get invaded by the target of that coalition. That will help US credibility and is a better outcome than a solution that avoids war and maintains credibility.

I'm trying to remember what US credibility is. I think we had some deposited in Crimea once.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Vasukhani posted:

What NATO shouldn't do is knowingly sacrifice third countries to emphasize how useful it is.
So if providing assistance to Ukraine in an effort to make Russian invasion too costly for Putin to stomach is "sacrificing" Ukraine, what is handing the country over to Russia on a silver platter over the objections of the Ukrainians themselves?

Vasukhani posted:

Asking states very nicely to stop behaving like states has an 0% effectiveness
Right, that's why the US is exerting a little effort to make sure Russia knows there will be meaningful costs to belligerence now and in the future, thus shoring up its interests. Stop asking the US to stop behaving like a state!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Maybe we can have a conference in Warsaw and create a pact of some sort to stand as a bulwark against NATO

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Cugel the Clever posted:

Right, that's why the US is exerting a little effort to make sure Russia knows there will be meaningful costs to belligerence now and in the future, thus shoring up its interests. Stop asking the US to stop behaving like a state!

Coming to a meaningful agreement benefits the US's core interests more than the extra two tanks which a Ukrainian javelin can take out. The lesson from the nk war should reiterate that equipment doesnt mean much without air superiority. Nothing short of providing Ukrainian with an airforce or nuclear weapons will meaningfully change the calculus.

speaking of...

https://twitter.com/AlexKokcharov/status/1463221816307208196

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Funny story they gave them up in exchange for an international agreement that stated Russia would respect their territorial boundaries and not use military or economic force to influence their politics.

That agreement was PURE IMPERIALISM aimed against THE REASONABLE AND PEACE-LOVING RUSSIAN HAVEN OF FREEDOM AND WHOLESOMENESS

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Pretty simple, the only countries with agency are China and the US so Russia has to choose and submit to occupation and give up its nukes to one or the other and maybe there'll be some loans. Thus is inevitable because strong spheres of influence hurr durr

Also if you don't submit then WW3 :ohdear:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Vasukhani posted:

Coming to a meaningful agreement benefits the US's core interests more than the extra two tanks which a Ukrainian javelin can take out. Nothing short of providing Ukrainian with an airforce or nuclear weapons will meaningfully change the calculus.

speaking of...

https://twitter.com/AlexKokcharov/status/1463221816307208196

The video you posted is active armor. It's not new.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

https://twitter.com/KofmanMichael/status/1463260417304768522

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Vasukhani posted:

Russia has thousands of nuclear warheads. It's a lot more like two peer competitors just because of that. The desires of NATO do count. They desire not to start a conflict with Russia over Ukraine.

You whole posting appears to be an outrraged - outraged, I tell you - response to the fact that, contrary to your wishes, NATO does have an actual interest in stopping Russia from enslaving Ukraine and the Baltics, wjich is very concerning and must be nipped in the bud, soooo... That's a kinda big contradiction.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Cugel the Clever posted:

No, this is just warmongering. Unlike invading neighboring countries, that's promoting peace.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

steinrokkan posted:

You whole posting appears to be an outrraged - outraged, I tell you - response to the fact that, contrary to your wishes, NATO does have an actual interest in stopping Russia from enslaving Ukraine and the Baltics, wjich is very concerning and must be nipped in the bud, soooo... That's a kinda big contradiction.

Lumping Ukraine in with the Baltics is pretty silly. One has a mutual defense treaty, the other was publically told it does not have such a treaty by the leader of the bloc this year. NATO will not commit to defending Ukraine, the biggest consequence the US will enforce is SWIFT expulsion and the like.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Vasukhani posted:

There is a reason the US cares a lot about what happens in Ukraine and is not actually concerned with actions of russia in central asia and the south caucasus

if only there was some term for that, certain areas where states had predominant authority

The difference is that nobody here would bend over backwards to do their best impression of Rudolf Hess in excusing Americans forcing countries to live under their NATURAL and JUSTIFIED and NECESSARY sphere of influence by violence, meanwhile in the case of Russia the opposite is the case.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Just a reminder that the military-security ghouls controlling the russian state are not Russia. Russians don't want war with goddamn Ukraine either and I salute comrades Macron and Johnson for standing in solidarity with the russian people against the evil bunker gnome that killed a million russians with his handling of covid and now wants to kill more sending them to fight a brotherly nation

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I believe they are referring to the (presumably) not-active grate that has been welded on top of the active armor.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The grate is for Bayraktar TB2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The grate is for Bayraktar TB2.

I liked the theory that, combined with a Mk 1 Tarp, it keeps the rain off.